inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need cooking tips about canned fish

Written By: Satish on 07/26/06 at 8:00 pm

You know how they sell tuna and other types of fish in metal cans that you have to open with a can opener? I think they usually pack the fish in the can with water. I was just wondering, is it OK to eat the fish from those cans raw, or are you supposed to heat it first?

Subject: Re: Need cooking tips about canned fish

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/27/06 at 12:59 am

You know how they sell tuna and other types of fish in metal cans that you have to open with a can opener? I think they usually pack the fish in the can with water. I was just wondering, is it OK to eat the fish from those cans raw, or are you supposed to heat it first?

Canned tuna IS cooked already.  In fact, all that fish is cooked already. Hence why it's bright pink/white instead of dark pink like raw tuna.  Why would they put raw tuna in a can?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/12/06 at 12:10 pm

Blimey I hope it's cooked!!  I've been eating tinned tuna since I was knee high to a grasshopper and still eat 1-2 cans a week now.. it is pre cooked.  I was wondering about mercury contamination in fish and understand this is dependant on how busy shipping lanes are (pollution) and also the depths particular breeds of fish swim to - this all has a bearing on how much contamination the fish will carry.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/06 at 1:20 pm

Another factor on mercury contamination is how high up on the food chain the fish are. The higher up, the more mercury they could have.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/13/06 at 1:24 pm

I've always eaten 'tinned fish' cold...(salmon, pilchards, sardines and the like...)

...but I draw the line at Tuna...bleh!  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...