inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Connected to anyone famous?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/26/06 at 9:22 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before....

I found out this out today and was like oh wow.....that's cool.  I work at a daycare, currently with 1st graders.  One boy had a "Seether" CD with him (in case u dont know, they're probably most well known for the song "Broken" in 2004).  His dad is the drummer.  Of course I didn't believe him at first, till he showed me the "thank you" section in the back.  I was like  :-[  oops

Another parent also informed me that Frank & Jesse James are his great great uncles.  Weird.

Subject: Re: Connected to anyone famous?

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/06 at 9:27 pm

Former NHL goalie (Detroid Red Wings / Atlanta Thrashers) Norm Maracle is my 3rd cousin.  I've only ever met him once though, which is weird considering he lives across the street, next door, and around the corner to pretty much all my relatives

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/26/06 at 11:10 pm

My Dad's cousin is an executive producer, David Linde, who produced Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and some other poopular ones.

Written By: Apricot on 07/26/06 at 11:50 pm

My aunt a few generations up was Mary Todd Lincoln.. so, she's like, my great-great-great-great aunt or something.

Written By: La Roche on 08/28/06 at 8:40 pm

Yup.

http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/players/england_world_cup/michael_carrick.jpg

Michael Carrick, Manchester United and England midfielder is my cousin on my Father's side of the family.

Also on my father's side is... http://www.metallica.sk/newsimages/wmrtw_bob_rock.jpg

.. Bob Rock. Producer of numerous albums and also the Bassist on Metallica's 'St. Anger' album.

I met him a few years back at my cousin Aaron's house.. he wasn't a particulalry nice guy, seemed very full of himself.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/28/06 at 8:42 pm

Jefferson Davis is in my paternal grandmother's mother's family tree. 

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/28/06 at 8:46 pm

Mike Reno from Loverboy has some sort of connection to my family on my dad's mother's side, but I can't quite remember what type though...

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/28/06 at 9:00 pm

My mom's sister's son's friend dated Sean Hayes (from Will And Grace - "Just Jack") who did an episode with Kevin Bacon.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/28/06 at 9:09 pm

I'm a fourth cousin to Jimmy Carter.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/29/06 at 12:36 am

On my dad's side, F. Lee Bailey, George Dewey, Adm. Thomas Dewey .... if what I found was correct, I go all the way back to Mark Antony on my mom's side, danootaandme found that one THANKS!!!!

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 1:07 am

On my dad's side, F. Lee Bailey, George Dewey, Adm. Thomas Dewey .... if what I found was correct, I go all the way back to Mark Antony on my mom's side, danootaandme found that one THANKS!!!!

Whoa, wait a minute here...

You're saying DanootaAndMe was able to trace your lineage back to Mark Antony..?  As in Marcus Antonius, Roman statesman and military commander..?

If correct, that would be extraordinary.  How'd she do that..?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/06 at 1:11 am

After doing my family tree, both Paternal and Maternal, both covering 200 years. I have not found any famous relatives yet.

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 1:16 am

After doing my family tree, both Paternal and Maternal, both covering 200 years. I have not found any famous relatives yet.

That's nice, but dude...

Mama_K might be a descendant of Mark Antony..!  Wouldn't that just be the bee's knees..?  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/06 at 1:18 am

That's nice, but dude...

I may have a couple of famous relatives in New Zealand, but still have to find the link.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/06 at 10:10 am

http://www.falconcrest.org/common/show/memorial/keats.jpg

Steven Keats was a cousin of ours but I never got a chance to know him.He shot himself on May 8th,1994. :(

Written By: CeeKay on 08/29/06 at 10:17 am

http://www.falconcrest.org/common/show/memorial/keats.jpg

Steven Keats was a cousin of ours but I never got a chance to know him.He shot himself on May 8th,1994. :(

Sorry to hear about that, Howard.  :(

Written By: CeeKay on 08/29/06 at 10:19 am

I don't think we have any famous people in our family line (although KKay is fairly famous in her own right  ;)) 

Written By: Gis on 08/29/06 at 10:25 am

Not at all that I know of.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/06 at 10:36 am

Sorry to hear about that, Howard.   :(

I was too young to even know him back in the late 1970's

Written By: annonymouse on 08/29/06 at 7:30 pm

My Dad's cousin is an executive producer, David Linde, who produced Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and some other poopular ones.

poopular???  ;D :D ;)
                                    i'm very distantly related to robery e. lee. and (i think) helen keller.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/29/06 at 7:52 pm

I'm related to Alfred Dreyfus, the French military officer who was one of the most important figures in 19th century history, accused of treason and whatnot, leading to a major national scandal. He was France's most prominent Jew and a major military officer to boot. He's my 4th cousin 5 times removed. This makes me distantly related to Julia Louis Dreyfus, who played Elaine on Seinfeld, and the actor Richard Dreyfuss. My twice-great uncle was the first Jewish Olympic gold medalist at the 1904 Olympics, in track and field, Myer Prinstein.

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/06 at 7:58 pm

Yup.

http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/players/england_world_cup/michael_carrick.jpg

Michael Carrick, Manchester United and England midfielder is my cousin on my Father's side of the family.

Also on my father's side is... http://www.metallica.sk/newsimages/wmrtw_bob_rock.jpg

.. Bob Rock. Producer of numerous albums and also the Bassist on Metallica's 'St. Anger' album.

I met him a few years back at my cousin Aaron's house.. he wasn't a particulalry nice guy, seemed very full of himself.

Bob Rock is from Canada 8)

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/29/06 at 8:41 pm

Somehow there is a connection to Brian Boru, High King of Ireland.

Semi-Famous, my uncle Bob Kelly.  He makes wigs for Broadway, SNL and movies.

My cousin works for NBC and used to do Katie Couric's make-up.

As far a non-related people, a family friend is Dick Smith (make-up artist on the movie The Exorcist.).

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 8:59 pm

lorac61469 brought up non-related connections and since I've no famous kin to my knowledge...

I went to high school with Billie Joe Armstrong, vocalist for Green Day and was good friends with his older brother Dave, whom I'm now only in contact with through a mutual friend.  Billie was a freshman when I was a senior...

And he was a punk... :-X groove ;) on...

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/06 at 9:40 pm

The only connections I have are friendship or rivalries.

I went to high school with Bob Corea, drummer for the band Pretty Poison. They had a mild hit
with the song "Catch Me I'm Falling" in the 80's.

Mike Rozier, Heisman Trophy winner with Nebraska and later played for the Houston Oilers and
Atlanta Falcons, Stepped on my back on his way to scoring another touchdown in a midget football
tournament in Camden, NJ.

Derek Holloway, Caught the first touchdown pass in the first USFL Championship game. Derek played
midget football for Palmyra in NJ. I caught him from behind on one play but he still managed to score
pretty regularly. He later played for the Chiefs.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/29/06 at 9:42 pm

I think I've mentioned this before, but the actress Bonnie Hunt went to my high school and graduated in '78 along with my AP Government teacher.  She came by the school a couple of times whenever she was in town to see her. 

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 9:47 pm

The only connections I have are friendship or rivalries.

I went to high school with Bob Corea, drummer for the band Pretty Poison. They had a mild hit
with the song "Catch Me I'm Falling" in the 80's.

I was just thinking about Pretty Poison while viewing in the "Got My Mind Set On You"  thread because "Catch Me I'm Falling"  was released around the same time...

Now, what's this about midget football..?  I'm lost...go ;)...

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/06 at 9:52 pm

I was just thinking about Pretty Poison while viewing in the "Got My Mind Set On You"  thread because "Catch Me I'm Falling"  was released around the same time...

Now, what's this about midget football..?  I'm lost...go ;)...

Midget football is what we called our league, it's all I knew it by. Other towns may have called it pee wee
football. Basically, it was kids from 8 to 14 years old.

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 9:57 pm

Midget football is what we called our league, it's all I knew it by. Other towns may have called it pee wee
football. Basically, it was kids from 8 to 14 years old.

Ah, gotcha.  'Round here it goes by the name Pop Warner Football (at least it used to)...

I have no idea why.  Maybe 'Pop' was the founder...

keep ;) grooving...

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/29/06 at 9:57 pm

I think I've mentioned this before, but the actress Bonnie Hunt went to my high school and graduated in '78 along with my AP Government teacher.  She came by the school a couple of times whenever she was in town to see her. 

I've definitely mentioned this before, but Tom Cruise went to my high school and dropped out shortly before graduating in '81 after discovering he wanted to be an actor, following a wrestling injury that made him do the school play (Guys and Dolls). My mother's best friend from college, Susan Weber Soros, married George Soros, the famous billionaire investor. My dad's best friend from law school is Spencer Abraham, former Republican Michigan Senator and Secretary of the Environment.

Written By: Jessica on 08/29/06 at 10:15 pm

Grandpa was in the Army with Elvis Presley.

Grandma and her mom and sister were picked up by Pretty Boy Floyd, who helped them survive until my great-grandmother got back on her feet.

Mom met Wynonna Judd.

Dad knew Ritchie Valens' brother.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/29/06 at 10:17 pm

Mike Rozier, Heisman Trophy winner with Nebraska and later played for the Houston Oilers and
Atlanta Falcons, Stepped on my back on his way to scoring another touchdown in a midget football
tournament in Camden, NJ.
Being a lifelong Husker fan, if Mike Rozier would've stepped on my back I would've never washed that spot again.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/29/06 at 10:59 pm

I've definitely mentioned this before, but Tom Cruise went to my high school and dropped out shortly before graduating in '81 after discovering he wanted to be an actor, following a wrestling injury that made him do the school play (Guys and Dolls). My mother's best friend from college, Susan Weber Soros, married George Soros, the famous billionaire investor. My dad's best friend from law school is Spencer Abraham, former Republican Michigan Senator and Secretary of the Environment.

Interesting..

and ironic.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/30/06 at 9:08 am

Whoa, wait a minute here...

You're saying DanootaAndMe was able to trace your lineage back to Mark Antony..?  As in Marcus Antonius, Roman statesman and military commander..?

If correct, that would be extraordinary.  How'd she do that..?

ancestry.com.  Now, I don't know how "reliable" the line is, but it also showed Eleanor of Aquitane (Richard the Lionhearted's mother) and a few others.

Non-relatives:  My brother used to work for a couple of bands:  Flickerstick, Rev. Horton Heat, The Toadies and currently works for Bowling for Soup (I know Gis, I keep procrastinating ;))

Written By: Gis on 08/30/06 at 2:54 pm

ancestry.com.  Now, I don't know how "reliable" the line is, but it also showed Eleanor of Aquitane (Richard the Lionhearted's mother) and a few others.

Non-relatives:  My brother used to work for a couple of bands:  Flickerstick, Rev. Horton Heat, The Toadies and currently works for Bowling for Soup (I know Gis, I keep procrastinating ;))
Yeah so do I, otherwise I'd be PMing you every week whinging. ;D

I wish they would play the U.K again................

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/06 at 6:13 pm

My father used to do business with John Hess, brother of Rudolf Hess.  :-X

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/06 at 11:56 pm

I don't know if I'd call him famous or not, but my Dad's cousin is David Linde, who produced "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and... um... Some others? I think he had something to do with "Brokeback Mountain", too.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/06 at 11:57 pm

I don't know if I'd call him famous or not, but my Dad's cousin is David Linde, who produced "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and... um... Some others? I think he had something to do with "Brokeback Mountain", too.

Whoakay, here's a list of things he's done:

The Hitcher (2007) (filming) (producer)

How to Deal (2003) (executive producer)
They (2002) (executive producer)
... aka Wes Craven Presents: They (USA: complete title)
Y tu mam

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 1:16 am

David Linde name is not creditted for Brokeback Mountain.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/06 at 6:48 pm

? Maybe it was written about him ?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/31/06 at 8:08 pm

I am related to:

-Daniel Boone
-Jenny Wiley
-One of the founders of the state of Pennsylvania (not William Penn)

I know:

-Little Jimmy Dickens (one of the founders of "The Grand Ole Opry")
-Kenny Price (from "Hee Haw")
-Mickey Gilley
-Bocephus (a.k.a. Hank Williams, Jr.)
-The Tubes (I met all of the group except Rick Anderson; Fee Waybill is a close friend)
-Eddie Money
-Rodney Dangerfield (prior to his death; we met online in 1998)

My mother knew/knows:

-Little Jimmy Dickens
-Kenny Price
-Mickey Gilley
-Bocephus
-Eddie Rabbitt
-Don Ho
-Leonard Nimoy (she has a love poem he wrote to her once, when they lunched together)
-Paul Revere
-Donna Dixon (through her father Earl Dixon, who is also Dolly Parton's uncle)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/31/06 at 8:09 pm

Nope, I checked... I guess not! But he was thanked for some reason on the Oscar's for it. *Shrug*

Written By: loki 13 on 08/31/06 at 8:29 pm

I don't know if it will explain anything but, David Linde was co-founder, of a production company
named Focus Features, with James Schamus. That company produced "Broke Back Mountain"

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/31/06 at 9:18 pm

I don't know if it will explain anything but, David Linde was co-founder, of a production company
named Focus Features, with James Schamus. That company produced "Broke Back Mountain"

Ooooh, ok, that explains it!

Written By: Davester on 09/01/06 at 12:27 am

So that would connect Mark Antony with Eleanor of Aquitane (wife of Henry II) and my head is absolutely spinning...

What a scandal that would make..! groove ;) on...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/01/06 at 12:33 am

Yeah so do I, otherwise I'd be PMing you every week whinging. ;D

I wish they would play the U.K again................
They'll be there (I think) in the Spring.  I think the new album comes out in Nov (for some reason Nov 7 is sticking in my head). ;)

Written By: Gis on 09/01/06 at 8:02 am

They'll be there (I think) in the Spring.  I think the new album comes out in Nov (for some reason Nov 7 is sticking in my head). ;)
*Happy days*  :D
I can't wait to see them again, and a new album just in time for an early christmas present I'd better start hinting now...........

By the way where's my stuff??  ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/01/06 at 9:31 am

*Happy days*  :D
I can't wait to see them again, and a new album just in time for an early christmas present I'd better start hinting now...........

By the way where's my stuff??  ;)
Where's your address? ;)

Written By: Gis on 09/01/06 at 10:25 am

Where's your address? ;)
Winging it's way to you even as I type........... 8)

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 9:29 pm

I'm distantly related to President Dwight Eisenhower. on my Dad's side)  Which means I'm also related to Nixon.  I'm related to General Francis C. Barlows who was a Union General in the U.S. Civil War.  non related, I've gotten to hang out with Peter Tork of the Monkees, Ed Rendell (the Govenor of Pennsyvania) 

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/06 at 9:59 pm

8) my uncle is an author, he knows John Grishom, ( both from Oxford Ms..), my uncle was in the marines and his best friend is best friends with Tom Berenger, My uncle is also friends with the guy that wrote.."When A Man Loves A Woman", ( I just saw a pic the other day with him and the Stones on thier last tour autographed with..To Jerry..Etc..)..And I saw Elvis right before he died...His girlfriend at the time was Ginger Alden and he bought her family a house in the same neighborhood we lived in...We girls sat on the curb across the st and waited for him to come out..He waved..I was too scared to go up to him...

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 10:03 pm

An official elvis sighting and Tom Berenger.  You are so blessed.  Have you seen the movie Gettysburg?  Tom was great in that.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/06 at 10:28 pm

An official elvis sighting and Tom Berenger.  You are so blessed.  Have you seen the movie Gettysburg?  Tom was great in that.
8) gettysburg was a great flick...I loved Tom in Platoon, Sniper, ( Pretty much ev thing he has ever been in)....My uncles book is in the makes for a movie..Tom has been offered the lead..along with Morgan Freeman as a major part as well..I love Morgan too..He is also from the Mid South..

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 10:38 pm

Awsome!!!!

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/06 at 6:18 am

Bob Rock is from Canada 8)

Correct, I met him in Ottowa.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/06 at 1:51 pm

poopular???  ;D :D ;)
                                    i'm very distantly related to robery e. lee. and (i think) helen keller.

ooooooh, Now it may take a DNA sample, but my great grandmother used to use her middle name(Lee) and last name.  Her 2 children were given the middle name Lee.  She came here from the Richmond area after the war(civil).  She was so light that in the 1930 census she was listed as white.  The family whisper is that the name stems from the Virginia Lees, and Robert is related, but we aren't sure exactly how. So it seems that we could be cousins.  When is the next family picnic by the way?

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/01/06 at 2:27 pm

If Robert Dreyfuss (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss of Seinfeld are really descended from Alfred Dreyfuss, we're 4th cousins removed a ways.

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/06 at 2:38 pm

General Greenville Dodge is a direct relation of my Grandfather. I believe his Great Grandfather's brother.

P.J O'Rourke is a close cousin.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/01/06 at 6:59 pm

Not anyone famous, but we just figured out that my son and his cousin (5th) are on the same baseball team :o  I don't come from a very close family, can ya tell? ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/06 at 1:21 am

If Robert Dreyfuss (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss of Seinfeld are really descended from Alfred Dreyfuss, we're 4th cousins removed a ways.
Do you mean Richard Dreyfuss from CE3K?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/13/07 at 6:07 pm

I was reading that the pirate Blackbeard had my maiden name but of course I can't trace that far back, so he may be related somehow, someway.

Otherwise nobody famous (not yet anyways)

Written By: Howard on 06/13/07 at 6:46 pm

Steven Keats

Check for new replies or respond here...