inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: cuddle parties - anyone else find this odd....and kinda icky?

Written By: KKay on 08/01/06 at 3:16 pm

Hey you, want to snuggle?
Founders of Cuddle Party say their events help people to explore the benefits of non-sexual, boundary-appropriate touch
Tuesday, August 01, 2006
ELISE McINTOSH
STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE
A dozen or so strangers assemble in an Upper East Side apartment one Wednesday evening. The window shades are drawn; jazz music plays softly in the background.

Judging by their outfits, the pajama-clad adults are all set for a children's slumber party: One wears Froot Loops bottoms; another, a Winnie the Pooh shirt; and another, a Superman tee. Some of them chat as they lounge on futons and bean bags; others are sprawled out on brightly colored pillows scattered on the floor.

Advertisement

A blonde thirtysomething, one of the party's facilitators, calls the group's attention and invites them to gather 'round to join the Welcome Circle: The Cuddle Party is about to begin.

Those who are picturing wild orgies, sexcapades and grope fests may be surprised to learn none of this kind of behavior occurs at the snuggling-friendly gatherings. In fact, they are pretty tame; nothing above a PG13 rating is allowed.

The three-hour workshop provides an opportunity for lonely people to rediscover non-sexual affection and explore consensual, boundary-appropriate touch in a safe environment, says facilitator and founder Reid Mihalko about the trademarked get-togethers he first launched in February 2004.

Mostly what Cuddlemonsters -- as participants have come to be called -- do at these affection-heavy, alcohol-free events is hug, caress, tickle, spoon, stroke, playfully wrestle and massage each other, or get their "Recommended Daily Allowance of Welcomed Touch," as Mihalko likes to put it.

During the 45-minute Welcome Circle, Mihalko and his partner, Marcia Baczynski, aim to make cuddlers feel at ease with each other and safe in their surroundings by establishing a few firm rules.

For instance, Rule No. 1: "Pajamas stay on the whole time." Another biggie, Rule No. 3: "Cuddlers must ask permission and receive a verbal "yes" before they can touch anyone." Also, kissing is as far as things can go.

Each cuddle huddle takes on a different vibe, depending on who turns up. Some people looking to unwind after a stressful day cozy up next to each other in twos and threes and stay put for hours. Others, feeling more playful, offer foot rubs, back massages or play with each other's hair. At one event, Mihalko tells, a group ended up in a feisty food fight, using grapes as their main source of ammo.

The folks who turn up to these parties -- and pay $30 a pop -- do so because they are not getting their share of one of our basic human needs -- that of being touched, hugged or shown affection -- whether it's because they are single, divorced, widowed or are with a partner who isn't as touchy-feely.

Subject: Re: cuddle parties - anyone else find this odd....and kinda icky?

Written By: nally on 08/01/06 at 3:18 pm

This doesn't look like a game thread to me, Kkay. Please remove it and post it in an appropriate forum, like PPP.

Written By: La Roche on 08/01/06 at 3:18 pm

There are these people.. called hookers right..

.. nobody thought to just ask one of them?

This doesn't look like a game thread to me, Kkay. Please remove it and post it in an appropriate forum, like PPP.

Quiet you's!

Written By: KKay on 08/01/06 at 4:56 pm

oops. my mouse skills suck.

i just see the word 'penguin' and click.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/01/06 at 5:32 pm

Oh, come off it, man..!!!1 >=O

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 5:40 pm

30$?

Sounds like a bargain...I've spent my money on worse things!

Okay people...(stumps up cash and flings his arms open wide...)

I'm all yours!  :D

(Sadly, I don't possess a pair of pyjamas, but don't let details get in the way!)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/01/06 at 5:46 pm

relax Jeff with ya!!  ::)  

The folks who turn up to these parties -- and pay $30 a pop -- do so because they are not getting their share of one of our basic human needs -- that of being touched, hugged or shown affection -- whether it's because they are single, divorced, widowed or are with a partner who isn't as touchy-feely.

That's what I totally love about America - there's always these wonderful alternative/NewAge therapies turning up. What a fantastic idea, as long as the screening is thorough enough to prevent potential letches getting through - who may have more carnal ideas in mind - I'm sure these meetings must be of great spiritual benefit to all who attend.

Written By: Paul on 08/01/06 at 5:50 pm

...as long as the screening is thorough enough to prevent potential letches getting through - who may have more carnal ideas in mind...

Drat!

No wonder I wasn't getting any takers!  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/01/06 at 5:52 pm

Drat!

No wonder I wasn't getting any takers!  ;)

hehe  ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/01/06 at 6:25 pm

XD Of course it's a game!

In it, we are to all have giant hug orgies!

I'll be the first to play! ((((()))))!!!!!!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/01/06 at 6:48 pm

XD Of course it's a game!

In it, we are to all have giant hug orgies!

I'll be the first to play! ((((()))))!!!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Written By: Abix on 08/01/06 at 9:03 pm

Ok lets all cuddle  huddle..... HEY, what's that poking me in the behind????? 

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/06 at 3:09 am

:-[

Dang.. is my face red.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 3:13 am

I find this sad. I have been known to cuddle with male platonic friends, but with people you don't know? That sounds heartbreaking that someone would need contact that badly. I wonder if getting massages fulfills the same human needs. Or holding a baby.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/06 at 4:12 am

I find this sad. I have been known to cuddle with male platonic friends, but with people you don't know? That sounds heartbreaking that someone would need contact that badly. I wonder if getting massages fulfills the same human needs. Or holding a baby.

Just go to a bar.. get wasted.. many is the time when I've been found clinging on to somebody for dear life, instilled with the fear that they might leave without getting me a drink and telling me all about the thrilling conclusion to that... thing.. that.. we were.. doing that thing..with.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 4:15 am

Just go to a bar.. get wasted.. many is the time when I've been found clinging on to somebody for dear life, instilled with the fear that they might leave without getting me a drink and telling me all about the thrilling conclusion to that... thing.. that.. we were.. doing that thing..with.

Yes, because in vino es verite or something.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/06 at 4:17 am

Yes, because in vino es verite or something.  ;)

Something like that.  ;D

Written By: karen on 08/02/06 at 7:46 am

30$?

Sounds like a bargain...I've spent my money on worse things!

Okay people...(stumps up cash and flings his arms open wide...)

I'm all yours!  :D

(Sadly, I don't possess a pair of pyjamas, but don't let details get in the way!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 8:43 am

I find it both odd and icky. Though, each man to their own!

Written By: CeeKay on 08/02/06 at 1:00 pm

I find it both odd and icky. Though, each man to their own!

Seems odd to me.  But, yeah, whatever helps I guess.

Written By: Apricot on 08/02/06 at 1:07 pm

As much as I love human contact, I find parties with strangers a wee bit creepy.. I wouldn't do it myself.

Written By: Paul on 08/02/06 at 2:15 pm

Okay...who invited Howard?

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/02/06 at 2:18 pm

Okay...who invited Howard?

XD BUAHAHAHAH!

Written By: KKay on 08/02/06 at 2:52 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

still too close for comfort.
who are the people doing this?  desperate singles or hippies?  yeah, i know, desperate hippies.

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/06 at 2:13 am

still too close for comfort.
who are the people doing this?  desperate singles or hippies?  yeah, i know, desperate hippies.

ZYCLON! ZYCLON! ZYCLON!

Written By: Gis on 08/03/06 at 2:58 am

Well the jazz music in the background would have me out of that room like a shot to begin with. Seriously though it is a very weird concept...............

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/06 at 3:12 am

Well the jazz music in the background would have me out of that room like a shot to begin with. Seriously though it is a very weird concept...............

Alright, I want an impartial womans opinion.

If you could pay $30 to go hug somebody for 45 minutes.. or pay $50 for a half decent hooker.. hug for a while then maybe nail her, which would you go for?

Written By: Gis on 08/03/06 at 3:32 am

Alright, I want an impartial womans opinion.

If you could pay $30 to go hug somebody for 45 minutes.. or pay $50 for a half decent hooker.. hug for a while then maybe nail her, which would you go for?
Hmmmm, I think I'd take the $50 and go shopping !

Written By: danootaandme on 08/03/06 at 4:49 am

I am from Massachusetts where the thought of touching anyone in public, and many times in private, is beyond proper.  The thought of gathering with strangers, in pajamas, and actually being within 10 feet makes my skin crawl and will give me nightmares for a week  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/03/06 at 4:54 am

I find is most intriguing and even slightly titilating...If I went I'd come dressed in my purple Barnie Jim jams :D

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/06 at 5:46 am

I find is most intriguing and even slightly titilating...If I went I'd come dressed in my purple Barnie Jim jams :D

If you went, I'd stay home.

Written By: Davester on 08/03/06 at 6:05 am

AHH..!  LMAO!

Sometimes things are better left unsaid...

A $30 hug sounds reasonable when you consider the alternative: a night with a barfly/coyote woman and a lifetime of people calling you "lefty"... :o

groove ;) on

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/06 at 6:36 am

AHH..!  LMAO!

Sometimes things are better left unsaid...

A $30 hug sounds reasonable when you consider the alternative: a night with a barfly/coyote woman and a lifetime of people calling you "lefty"... :o

groove ;) on

You talk from experience here?  ;)

Written By: Gis on 08/03/06 at 3:51 pm

Nah, I'm still up for the shopping !

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/03/06 at 3:54 pm

I don't think it's icky.  It's not for me, but if other people dig that scene, go for it.

Written By: chaka on 08/04/06 at 6:15 am

I would never be seen at such a party.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/04/06 at 9:59 am

Hmm... I'd feel weird doing this, but I don't think it's that icky.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/08/06 at 12:16 am

A three-hour workshop providing an opportunity to enjoy non-sexual affection and explore consensual, boundary-appropriate touch.  what happens if you get aroused and cross a boundary?  ::) are you immediately exiled like a lepor? All these little things, kissing, massaging, appropriate touching really sound like the beginning stages of foreplay to me. This would be like drinking a case of O'Doulls, just end up going home frustrated  ;D ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/08/06 at 5:39 am

A three-hour workshop providing an opportunity to enjoy non-sexual affection and explore consensual, boundary-appropriate touch.  what happens if you get aroused and cross a boundary?  ::) are you immediately exiled like a lepor? All these little things, kissing, massaging, appropriate touching really sound like the beginning stages of foreplay to me. This would be like drinking a case of O'Doulls, just end up going home frustrated  ;D ;D

^ You see that, that's another example of how modern society has been conditioned to think any form of intimate physical contact is 'sexual'... ;) What happened to the good old days when a man and his best pal could prance down the street hand in hand, and be only called 'gay' in the sense they were happy they were in each other's company?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/08/06 at 8:23 pm

^ You see that, that's another example of how modern society has been conditioned to think any form of intimate physical contact is 'sexual'... ;) What happened to the good old days when a man and his best pal could prance down the street hand in hand, and be only called 'gay' in the sense they were happy they were in each other's company?
not in this case, modern society is not in my bedroom and not dictating my actions. My comments derive from years of behavior & strong instincts. the good ole days are still here Trimac20, we can still "did you say prance" ?? down the street hand in hand and cuddle and hug and kiss without *gulp* ending up having sex  ;D  ok, we can still prance if we want, but any extended physical contact I got going with my woman is eventually going to lead to more intimate contact and that's got nothing to do with society. It's called arrrrousal,  and you must roll your rrrr's when you say arrrrousal like Dr. Ruth.

Written By: KKay on 08/09/06 at 10:48 am

now, I do think people paying to cuddle is kind of New Age and childish (cause I"m callous that way)....

ALSO I just don't get why people are willing to pilie on top of strangers.  I would not trust them for a second.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/09/06 at 11:12 am

now, I do think people paying to cuddle is kind of New Age and childish (cause I"m callous that way)....

ALSO I just don't get why people are willing to pilie on top of strangers.  I would not trust them for a second.
I'd get kicked out for being to touchy-feely  ;D

Written By: KKay on 08/09/06 at 11:59 am

I'd get kicked out for being to touchy-feely  ;D

oh, well...
I 'd  do it with all you members. I can TRUST You! :) :) :)

Written By: CeeKay on 08/09/06 at 12:05 pm

I'm with you on both counts.  and I'm a one-cuddler-at-a-time kinda girl.  The "group cuddle" aspect is just creepy imo.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/09/06 at 2:36 pm

oh, well...
I 'd  do it with all you members. I can TRUST You! :) :) :)
  me too except the trust part  ;D

Written By: KKay on 08/09/06 at 3:44 pm

me too except the trust part   ;D

we can't be picky.

:)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/09/06 at 4:12 pm

i hear ya. I guess I'd take my chances  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 08/20/06 at 11:39 am

One hand on my wallet, one on my crotch.

Written By: Buckinghammm on 08/20/06 at 12:29 pm

Hm... cuddling with a bunch of strangers is something that I wouldn't do, just because I'm not one who's very good with strangers.

... But maybe I'll have one of these "Cuddle parties" at my own house... Hmmm....

Written By: Paul on 08/20/06 at 12:47 pm

A three-hour workshop providing an opportunity to enjoy non-sexual affection and explore consensual, boundary-appropriate touch.  what happens if you get aroused and cross a boundary?  ::)

You are 'sin-binned' for precisely one hour with nothing but a large photograph of Margaret Thatcher for company...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/07 at 8:02 pm

hahahaa..cuddle parties. This would be like a nightmare for me. I...hate....when certain people touch me. I mean...if I know you and like you...then I will consider it...but um...EW. Strangers CUDDLING....I think, IMO, it would be more acceptable to be full blown... having sex...then cuddling. AHHHHHHH!!! :o

Written By: Brian06 on 11/04/07 at 8:48 pm

Depends on who the cuddling was with lol. Cuddling with a group of hot chicks sounds rather good.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/07 at 8:51 pm

Depends on who the cuddling was with lol. Cuddling with a group of hot chicks sounds rather good.  ;D

but could you just imagine a roomful of random folks...men, women...all ages, shapes, sizes....EW. And then imagining all holding each other. Ew. ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 11/04/07 at 8:52 pm

but could you just imagine a roomful of random folks...men, women...all ages, shapes, sizes....EW. And then imagining all holding each other. Ew. ;D

That's creepy eww, no thanks.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/05/07 at 2:09 am

FAQ on a cuddle party site  "I only want to cuddle with hot people. How can I make sure that happens?"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/05/07 at 2:25 am

another happening at these things is a Puppy Pile ,  that's when a bunch of people crawl atop one another and cozy up

Written By: Howard on 11/05/07 at 2:59 pm

How about a "Sex Party"? ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/05/07 at 8:24 pm

How about a "Sex Party"? ;D
Howard, first you must learn how to cuddle in a non-sexual way, without humping.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/07 at 8:57 pm

That does sound a little strange to have the main purpose of the party to be cuddling, although I can see cuddling itself existing (I always liked that actually, lol).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 8:59 pm

That does sound a little strange to have the main purpose of the party to be cuddling, although I can see cuddling itself existing (I always liked that actually, lol).

right...but think about cuddling with a fat bald guy named Ralph...who doesn't like to wear deodorant. LOL!! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/07 at 9:01 pm

right...but think about cuddling with a fat bald guy named Ralph...who doesn't like to wear deodorant. LOL!! ;D

Ewww, I think I'd be out of there before he even got close enough to me in the first place, lol. But seriously, I think cuddling (with girls lol) and much more simple stuff like that is actually quite romantic. I don't have a whole lot of experience firsthand though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 9:03 pm

Ewww, I think I'd be out of there before he even got close enough to me in the first place, lol. But seriously, I think cuddling (with girls lol) and much more simple stuff like that is actually quite romantic. I don't have a whole lot of experience firsthand though.

yes...it can be fun...and I think you'd be an old natural at it! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/07 at 9:12 pm

yes...it can be fun...and I think you'd be an old natural at it! ;)

Well I'd just do the best I could, and yeah it seems like fun...you're making me blush hard again right now, like you have a tendency of doing lol. If there's any with soccer moms and innocent young men, I'll probably look into it. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 9:14 pm

Well I'd just do the best I could, and yeah it seems like fun...you're making me blush hard again right now, like you have a tendency of doing lol. If there's any with soccer moms and innocent young men, I'll probably look into it. :D

what a naughty one you are! ;) hahaahah!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/07 at 9:30 pm

^ I guess "Stacy's Mom" really feels like my theme song, doesn't it? ;) Awww I'm a pretty innocent guy though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 9:43 pm

^ I guess "Stacy's Mom" really feels like my theme song, doesn't it? ;) Awww I'm a pretty innocent guy though.

yes...that is the best theme song for you. And yes...you're innocent! ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/07 at 7:09 am

Howard, first you must learn how to cuddle in a non-sexual way, without humping.

I know how to cuddle. ::)  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 1:31 am

I know how to cuddle. ::)  ;D
that's great Howard. just remember, no thoughts of sex, just cuddling. I bet you can't do it  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/07/07 at 6:53 am

that's great Howard. just remember, no thoughts of sex, just cuddling. I bet you can't do it  ;D

Nope I couldn't.Just have to have sex. ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/08/07 at 11:34 pm

Nope I couldn't.Just have to have sex. ;D
and then you'd cuddle afterwards?

Written By: Howard on 11/09/07 at 4:06 pm

and then you'd cuddle afterwards?

Depends if it's a girl.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/28/07 at 1:43 am

we did a big family picture for Christmas in a small living room & everyone was kinda scrunched together like a cuddle party  ::)  mainly because a certain one of Diane's cousins was gettin really cuddly. I had Diane in front of me & her cousin & her ample bosom behind me & oh sh*t!  now that i think about it, I hope the picture doesn't show her all pressed up on me.  ;D 

Written By: Howard on 12/28/07 at 6:38 am

I'd like to have a cuddle party with all women. ;)

Written By: KKay on 12/28/07 at 8:05 am

wow...this is an old thread.

I still cringe at the idea!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/28/07 at 9:20 am

me too!! EW. 8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/29/07 at 2:15 am

It all depends on who the other cuddlers are  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif 

Written By: Howard on 12/29/07 at 7:03 am

It all depends on who the other cuddlers are  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif   

And I hope the cuddlers are all women. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/29/07 at 9:04 pm

Depends if it's a girl.

You do realize you just suggested you'd have sex with a guy?

Written By: Howard on 12/31/07 at 6:56 am

You do realize you just suggested you'd have sex with a guy?

I did? creepy! :o ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/08 at 4:26 am

I did? creepy! :o ;D
I don't think you did

Written By: Howard on 01/05/08 at 4:08 pm

What I meant was having a cuddle party with all women. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...