inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Money Vs. The past

Written By: Dave79 on 08/04/06 at 3:30 pm

Ok I'm bored.. But I got thinking about this one, but still don't know for sure which I would pick.  Each is very temping.. Of course this wouldn't really happen.. but I figure.. what the hell..

--
Dave.

Subject: Re: Money Vs. The past

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/04/06 at 3:31 pm

F*ck the past.  I want the money.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/06 at 3:32 pm

Show me The Money!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/06 at 3:43 pm

I take the money thanks.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/06 at 3:44 pm

The past I'd rather keep in the past

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/06 at 3:51 pm

So where's the time machine? I would want it set to Oct. 13th-Oct 19th 2003. Best week of my entire life (and the BEST day of my life was Oct. 18th, 2003). I would LOVE to live it all again.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/04/06 at 3:53 pm

So where's the time machine? I would want it set to Oct. 13th-Oct 19th 2003. Best week of my entire life (and the BEST day of my life was Oct. 18th, 2003). I would LOVE to live it all again.

Cat

Are you a Yankee fan?  Because IIRC, October 18, 2003 was the day they won the ALCS with Aaron Boone's HR.  I wouldn't mind seeing that all over again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/06 at 4:13 pm

Are you a Yankee fan?  Because IIRC, October 18, 2003 was the day they won the ALCS with Aaron Boone's HR.  I wouldn't mind seeing that all over again.

I am a Mets fan, actually. Baseball was the last thing on my mind at that time. Oct. 18th 2003 was the day I married my best friend.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/04/06 at 4:18 pm

I am a Mets fan, actually. Baseball was the last thing on my mind at that time. Oct. 18th 2003 was the day I married my best friend.

Cat

That would probably qualify as a great day, yes. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 7:43 am

Getting a million dollars is a possibility. Travelling back in time (as far as we know) is impossible. So, I'd much rather be transported back in time...to June of 1967 - I'd spend the first day or two at Monterey Pop, because visiting the various hippie communes, before heading back up to Sisco into Haigh Ashbury, taking a VW Combi van to L.A. to see the Doors, and be part of the music scene down there, before flying to New York City.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 9:13 am

Simple, which leads to both!

Travel back in time and with your own sporting knowledge, bet on sporting events and make a cool millions for yourself.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/06/06 at 10:20 am

I'll take the money -- it would help me in the future.  Visiting the past....nah...it doesn't really interest me.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/06/06 at 1:51 pm

Give me the money. The past is the past for a reason - good memories to cherish.

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/06 at 3:13 pm

Simple, which leads to both!

Travel back in time and with your own sporting knowledge, bet on sporting events and make a cool millions for yourself.

That wouldn't be a good idea.  Your sports book could wind up in the hands of Biff Tannen ;D

Written By: divine_intervention on 08/06/06 at 3:14 pm

I think I'd rather have money. Except that money can't buy happiness, so I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 3:53 pm

That wouldn't be a good idea.  Your sports book could wind up in the hands of Biff Tannen ;D
I would not have a sports almanac with me, major sporting results will be committed to memory.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 3:54 pm

...major sporting results will be committed to memory.
If Biff Tannen did that BTTF II would have been a lot shorter.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/06 at 3:57 pm

I would not have a sports almanac with me, major sporting results will be committed to memory.

You could also memorize the #s in a BIG lotto drawing (one where there were no winners).

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 08/06/06 at 6:55 pm

I think I'd rather have money. Except that money can't buy happiness, so I don't know.

You're right.  Money can't buy happiness.  But if you are a person who understands that and has a good outlook on life -- then money is sure nice to have!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 7:23 pm

I guess it's pretty obvious what mine would be. :D I'm surprised most people would rather have money than do a once in a lifetime thing.

If we're talking about a time I actually lived through, anytime from 1981-1996 (my first 14-15 years) would be great.

On the more "casual" side, I'd like to make copies of certain video and audio tapes I'd later lose/tape over, etc (hey, it might sound silly, but when something is part of your childhood or your past, it is special to you, lol). On the more "serious" side, I really think it'd be nice to spend time with people who, in a way, don't exist anymore, or relatives who've since died, etc. There's also things I wish I'd done differently, so I think it'd be great to have a conversation with myself in what I've learned since.

When something is going on, it's no big deal because it's all around you. But when it becomes the past, it's sort of the equivalent of taking a vacation away from work to Hawaii if you live in a big city, if that makes any sense. But then again, right now will be a vacation to someone in 2015 or 2020.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/06/06 at 7:27 pm

http://eteamz.active.com/myfa/images/MoneyPile.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 9:24 pm

You're right.  Money can't buy happiness.  But if you are a person who understands that and has a good outlook on life -- then money is sure nice to have!

I think you're getting confused...money can't buy love, but it CAN buy happiness... 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/06/06 at 9:44 pm

Can I have just $500,000 and 1 precious weekend in the past  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 9:49 pm

I know people who would die to just re-live on moment of the past...it just shows where all your priorities lie.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/06/06 at 11:36 pm

Getting a million dollars is a possibility. Travelling back in time (as far as we know) is impossible. So, I'd much rather be transported back in time...to June of 1967 - I'd spend the first day or two at Monterey Pop, because visiting the various hippie communes, before heading back up to Sisco into Haigh Ashbury, taking a VW Combi van to L.A. to see the Doors, and be part of the music scene down there, before flying to New York City.
I know that you'd totally love to do this, and I'd hang with you on a road trip like this. It'd be very cool. and Woodstock 1969 would be most excellent 
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xWQwNZEPMEASoujzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12c52b77e/EXP=1155011088/**http%3a//www.discoverynet.com/%7ebarnes/woodstock_arch.gif  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qjhwNZEG10BXwajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12t0qi5oe/EXP=1155011169/**http%3a//www.classicrockpage.com/newslet/newsgrap/sep02/woodstock-cover.jpg  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mWiwdZE0OUAsHqjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=1395bh0i3/EXP=1155011362/**http%3a//images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t028/T028050A.jpg  8)

and here's your VW hippie rock&roll ride to get you there Trimac20  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xdEwtZEUjwBZ0ujzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=1297uvd4n/EXP=1155011524/**http%3a//www.artbyred.com/blog/wp-content/hippiebus.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/06/06 at 11:40 pm

$$$$$$

I have my memories and photos.  I would like to pay off my house.  LOL!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/07/06 at 5:40 am

^ I'd pick Monterey over Woodstock anyday. As they say, it was the 'true' Flower Power festival, and wasn't about money as Woodstock was. The only dissapointment was that the Doors, Beach Boys and Stones (all billed to play) couldn't make it (save some of the individual members as spectators).

Written By: CeeKay on 08/07/06 at 8:06 am

^ I'd pick Monterey over Woodstock anyday. As they say, it was the 'true' Flower Power festival, and wasn't about money as Woodstock was. The only dissapointment was that the Doors, Beach Boys and Stones (all billed to play) couldn't make it (save some of the individual members as spectators).

That would be a fun trip.  I was thinking that I'd be going back into *my* past.  I'd still take the money...but if I could go back into any time in the past, then the decision more of a challenge.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/07/06 at 1:12 pm

I personally would prefer to see some of the bands and artists that performed at Woodstock. Mountain, Ten Years After, Jimi, but screw it, we'd go to all of them and go out partying with the Doors afterwards. I presume you have a Wayback machine like Mr Peabody & Sherman
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wtHgtdEhDABbl6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=137n41lsb/EXP=1155060679/**http%3a//www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wayback_machine_large_small1.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/06 at 1:48 pm

I personally would prefer to see some of the bands and artists that performed at Woodstock. Mountain, Ten Years After, Jimi, but screw it, we'd go to all of them and go out partying with the Doors afterwards. I presume you have a Wayback machine like Mr Peabody & Sherman
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wtHgtdEhDABbl6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=137n41lsb/EXP=1155060679/**http%3a//www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wayback_machine_large_small1.jpg

My brother-in-law (who is no longer with us  :\'( :\'( :\'() once told me that when he was a teen, he had a newpaper route in West Haven, Conn. There was one house that he went to collect and they invited him in. It turned out that it was the Doors (when they were playing New Haven) and he started partying with them. Of course they told my BIL that he couldn't tell anyone they were there. How cool was that??

BTW, I'm sure a few of these kids around here don't know who Mr. Peabody, Sherman or the Wayback Machine are.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/07/06 at 2:02 pm

My brother-in-law (who is no longer with us  :\'( :\'( :\'() once told me that when he was a teen, he had a newpaper route in West Haven, Conn. There was one house that he went to collect and they invited him in. It turned out that it was the Doors (when they were playing New Haven) and he started partying with them. Of course they told my BIL that he couldn't tell anyone they were there. How cool was that??

BTW, I'm sure a few of these kids around here don't know who Mr. Peabody, Sherman or the Wayback Machine are.  ;)

Cat
that is totally cool, and i wish it had happened to me. I would love to have a real life meeting like that.  Yeah, this is a 1960's cartoon that many of us remember, and the younger ones may not be aware of but would enjoy if they got to see. The Wayback machine was cool.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/06 at 3:17 pm

Can I have just $500,000 and 1 precious weekend in the past  8)

I'll just take $500,000

Written By: Dave79 on 08/07/06 at 3:18 pm

I guess it's pretty obvious what mine would be. :D I'm surprised most people would rather have money than do a once in a lifetime thing.

If we're talking about a time I actually lived through, anytime from 1981-1996 (my first 14-15 years) would be great.

On the more "casual" side, I'd like to make copies of certain video and audio tapes I'd later lose/tape over, etc (hey, it might sound silly, but when something is part of your childhood or your past, it is special to you, lol). On the more "serious" side, I really think it'd be nice to spend time with people who, in a way, don't exist anymore, or relatives who've since died, etc. There's also things I wish I'd done differently, so I think it'd be great to have a conversation with myself in what I've learned since.

When something is going on, it's no big deal because it's all around you. But when it becomes the past, it's sort of the equivalent of taking a vacation away from work to Hawaii if you live in a big city, if that makes any sense. But then again, right now will be a vacation to someone in 2015 or 2020.

Marty you seem to be in the minority.. So far it seems many wants the money... I guess money does buy happiness. ;)

--
Dave.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/06 at 3:19 pm

Money of course lol.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/07/06 at 3:22 pm

Money of course lol.

Of course  ;)

--
Dave.

Check for new replies or respond here...