inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Kind Of Student Were You (In your school days)?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 7:37 am

Tell us about your days at school. What were you like as a kid going to school? Were you a brainiac, teacher's pet, the class clown.etc?

Academically, I ranged from average in primary/elementary school, to good in early/Junior High school, to pretty average again in my later years. I was a very quiet student who liked to work alone through most of my school life, except for perhaps when I was 11-13, when I was often remonstrated for talking too much! (Which is hard to believe if you know me). In late high school, my grades dropped due to a number of personal problems, I had few friends, kept to myself.etc. But overall, I got all I needed out of school and am probably better for the experience.

Subject: Re: What Kind Of Student Were You (In your school days)?

Written By: CeeKay on 08/06/06 at 10:25 am

I was a good student and had average to above-average grades, though they went down a bit in high school due to, I suspect, the distractions of adolescence and the loosening of the school structure (I have a hard time creating my own structure for work/learning).  The only negative comment my teachers ever made (and the all said it):  "She needs to talk more.  She never participates in discussion."  I was very shy.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/06/06 at 11:09 am

I was the popular nerd. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/06/06 at 12:16 pm

I was a very 'average' student...I did what was asked of me, didn't get into trouble, and I couldn't wait to be done with school!  :) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/06 at 12:29 pm

Most of the time I was the "new kid in town". But in 10 and 11 grade (I actually went to the same school two years in a row  :o :o), my horns were holding up my halo. I was a good-enough kid to get away with a lot of stuff in school.  ;) And yeah, it was a lot of fun getting away with as much as I did-and never ONCE served detention.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/06/06 at 12:35 pm

Most of the time I was the "new kid in town".

That's how I was throughout most of my elementary school years.

Written By: Gis on 08/06/06 at 2:01 pm

Pretty good really. I was above average until secondary school,when it slumped a bit. On the whole I was a swat! Until I got to college then it all went pear shaped...............

Written By: Apricot on 08/06/06 at 2:08 pm

Grades K-5: Very intelligent, but I was also unmotivated.. unless it was fun, I rarely tried. I knew all the stuff, but I chose not to apply myself.
Grades 6-8: Intelligent, attentive, generally well-liked by teachers.. but very forgetful. I was lucky enough to have teachers who would pardon me.
Grade 9: Intelligent, but not a hard worker. I did what was needed to get the 'A', and not a damn thing more.
Grade 10: Overachiever, not by choice. Didn't enjoy school, lot quieter then I ever was.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 9:39 pm

I was a good student and had average to above-average grades, though they went down a bit in high school due to, I suspect, the distractions of adolescence and the loosening of the school structure (I have a hard time creating my own structure for work/learning).  The only negative comment my teachers ever made (and the all said it):  "She needs to talk more.  She never participates in discussion."  I was very shy.

Same with me, I was pretty shy in school, but alot of the time I didn't speak up because I really didn't have anything to say. What was I suppose to do, just pipe up and say anything for the sake of saying it?

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/07/06 at 12:30 am

High school, graduated third in a class of 400 something. Parents were very angry that I wasn't first.
So, I went to college and shot myself in the foot with a loaded bong to teach them!
When I went back to college as a 28 year old I made As and Bs just by showing up and taking notes. I believe undergraduate success must have  a lot to do with gathering life experiences.
Now I know I need to get a masters as my bachelors is in the proverbial underwater basketweaving, but I'm scared of taking the GRE. If its comparable to an SAT I don't know how I'll pass it as I only retained three things I learned in college.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/07/06 at 2:01 am

I was pretty good in my elementary school days, but starting in about 7th grade, my grades slipped and never recovered. I did graduate in '05 though, but just barely.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/07/06 at 2:18 am

A good kid my entire academic life:

Preschool/Kindergarten: I was probably at my smartest as I loved reading and counting numbers, especially 'high' numbers up to 1000 and beyond. Also, I really loved computers. I had the most friends at this time I believe.

Elementary school: Studied quite a bit, but not as consistently because I often liked doing my own things such as studying astronomy, geography, music and not the stuff I was assigned. Still, I had enough friends for a semi-decent social life. Most of my grades were decent, but my Math grade was almost always an A and my handwriting a D  ;D.

Junior High School: I didn't care much about the popular scene but did talk to friends on an acquaintance basis. I studied more but still had a balanced life between fun and schoolwork. My grades were around B+/A- average at this time.

High School: Here I really did care about my GPA and studied as hard as I could through the International Baccalaureate program and loaded up on advanced courses to get into the competitive universities. I applied and got into UCSD into the Engineering department as a Computer Engineering major as my first choice. I ended up being #9 in a class of 341 students  (GPA: 4.29) upon graduating. Did I mention I was part of the class of '99?

Undergraduate Education: For the first year I had some fun at college as I hung out with local commuters and participated in a few of their social events (e.g. bonfire, bowling, breakfasts) but in the subsequent years my major demanded my time be spent in labs programming and designing circuits rather than playing ping-pong. I did manage to participate in a kempo martial arts club though for my junior and senior years though. Although I graduated in 2003 with a 3.5 GPA, it didn't get me any honors but at least I managed to get into the graduate program immediately through the help of friendly professors.

Graduate Education: Practically, this was the most stressful time as I had to balance my life around a full-time internship at a software company, a part time Teaching Assistantship and graduate coursework. I managed to finish my coursework in two years but almost at the cost of my sanity. I had to take a comps exam which contained three parts and I only managed to pass two in my second year so I attempted again for the third part in September 2005 and passed. The end result was a Masters in Computer Science with two years of job experience. Probably not the most I could've accomplished but at least now I have a satisfying full time job for the time being.

Check for new replies or respond here...