inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any bad injuries/near death experiences?

Written By: audkal on 08/30/06 at 12:47 pm

Hmmm.... well in February of '97 I was skiing and broke both of the bones in my right leg.

When I was younger I always used to swallow bubble gum (my parents always told me not to do it but I was like whatever, nothing's gonna happen).  One day I swallowed a whole pack of one of those "Bubble Tape" rolls (supposedly 6-feet of gum).  The next morning I threw up about 4 hunks of chewed gum each about 5 inches in length.  Even after the gum was "gone" I was still throwing up and threw up 18 times in total that day.

One story, that my mom told me (thank GOD I can't remember it), was when I was like 2 I was outside running around while my other family members were raking the lawn.  One of my brothers (who was about 4 at the time), had a garden rake, one that looks like this with the hard metal:
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/9219437.JPG
Anyway, so he had the garden rake and was stabbing it into the ground and taking it out just 'cause he was bored.  Well I ran passed him while he was doing this and the rake went right into the top of my head.  My mom said blood was coming out like a fountain.  And unfortunately we didn't have much money at the time so they couldn't afford to take me to a hospital.  So she held a towel on my head for about and hour and the bleeding finally stopped.

LOL, how about you guys?

Subject: Re: Any bad injuries/near death experiences?

Written By: KKay on 08/30/06 at 3:19 pm

just before my 5th birthday i was bitten on the face by a dog...i had stitches in my nose and under my chin.  that was pretty gruesome.
other than that, i don't think i have suffered much damage...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/30/06 at 3:45 pm

I broke 3 bones in one of my feet when I was 8 years old and had to wear a cast and crutches for a while... ???

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/06 at 3:48 pm

Near death yes ...

Winter 2002 ... a big chunk of ice fell off the side of a shopping mall, and left a big bloody impression in the top of my head, which required 8 stitches to fix.  At the time of impact, I was wearing a cap, which according to the doctor softened the blow.  Had I been w/out the cap, the damage might have been worse, possibly fatal, but I tend not to think about that.  Every winter when I hear ice cracking, it sometimes sends me into a mild panic  :\'(

Written By: Paul on 08/30/06 at 3:49 pm

I broke 3 bones in one of my feet when I was 8 years old and had to wear a cast and crutches for a while... ???

Poor you...

...and what about that bout of pneumonia you had not so long ago?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/30/06 at 3:56 pm

Back in June of '99, I had a very bad accident on my bike.  My sister and I were biking home from her summer school, and she screamed my name and as I turned my head to see her (stupid, I know), the front wheel of my bike hit the corner of a cut-out in the sidewalk (square cutouts that trees are planted in), and I was flipped over the handlebars of the bike and onto the sidewalk.  My left leg hit the bike, and my leg shattered below the knee cap.  I had to be taken to the hospital immediately because I couldn't walk. 

I had to have surgery just so I could walk normally and there's a plate and 6 screws holding my patella to my fibula.  I have an 8 inch scar running from halfway down my leg to around the knee to the back of my leg.  All the nerves in that area haven't completely regrown, so some of the skin is still numb and I had the surgery 7 years ago.  Whenever it gets real humid outside, my knee cramps up and it hurts to walk.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/30/06 at 4:00 pm

Poor you...

It was all my brother's fault...I'm serious!  >:(

...and what about that bout of pneumonia you had not so long ago?

Oh yes...how could I forget that?  :(

Written By: Howard on 08/30/06 at 4:05 pm

1988 wound up 3rd degree burns on my back when cold water shower turned very hot on me.
banged my toe and wound up with crutches
sprained my hamstring 3 years ago while bowling

Written By: KKay on 08/30/06 at 8:03 pm

i forgot...i was traveling with work and i woke up in baton rouge with a horrible kidney infection...
i was taxi'd to the doctor..and the man, with an uncontrollable, overripe and insanely un-understandable accent told me...
"ya take this hee-ya.  in da mownin eedah you be kwite arrite, o-ah you be de-ad."

I lived. It was rough.

Written By: Wiffle on 08/30/06 at 9:15 pm

My husband was driving and I was taking pictures out the window of the car. I didn't notice that he was paying more attention to me than the road. He ran off the side of the road, overcorrected, hit a soft shoulder and rolled the car at 65 mph. As this happened I thought we were both going to die, or be paralyzed or something! But we crawled out of the car by ourselves and were just fine.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/30/06 at 9:32 pm

1986 I shattered my right wrist.

1988 I broke two fingers ( same hand as the broken wrist)

Last November I went to work feeling fine, by 9:00 am I had a slight pain in my lower right side.
by 4:00 pm the pain worsened and by 11:00 pm I was on the operating table having my appendix
removed. Some day, huh.  :(

Written By: Wiffle on 08/30/06 at 9:49 pm

i forgot...i was traveling with work and i woke up in baton rouge with a horrible kidney infection...
i was taxi'd to the doctor..and the man, with an uncontrollable, overripe and insanely un-understandable accent told me...
"ya take this hee-ya.  in da mownin eedah you be kwite arrite, o-ah you be de-ad."

I lived. It was rough.

Ha ha - that had to be scary, having Justin Wilson be your ER doctor.

Does anyone else remember Justin Wilson, the Louisiana chef that used to be on public TV before the glut of home/garden/cooking cable channels? He tawk jus lak dat, hoooo!

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/30/06 at 9:55 pm

Summer of 1980 - fell out of a car turning the corner at a major intersection.  Scraped up my left thigh pretty bad.

Summer about 6 weeks ago - horked and collapsed from heat exhaustion changing a flat tire at the city landfill.  I was drinking water too.  It was 110 by 10:00 AM.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/30/06 at 9:57 pm

Horked is the greatest euphemism for vomiting I've ever heard.

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/30/06 at 10:24 pm

Horked is the greatest euphemism for vomiting I've ever heard.

I kinda like "calling for a Buick" myself.  ;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/30/06 at 10:32 pm

I fell off a swing in either 2001 or 2002 and it hurt and I had to leave school early and go to the doctor

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 9:38 am

Ha ha - that had to be scary, having Justin Wilson be your ER doctor.

Does anyone else remember Justin Wilson, the Louisiana chef that used to be on public TV before the glut of home/garden/cooking cable channels? He tawk jus lak dat, hoooo!

ahhh!!!! yes! too funny!! that is exactly who it was.  ugh... :-\\

Written By: CeeKay on 08/31/06 at 9:51 am

One story, that my mom told me (thank GOD I can't remember it), was when I was like 2 I was outside running around while my other family members were raking the lawn.  One of my brothers (who was about 4 at the time), had a garden rake, one that looks like this with the hard metal:
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/9219437.JPG
LOL, how about you guys?

Glad you found the rake picture already.  I, too, had a run-in with one of these metal rakes.  I was about 8 and my aunt was about 11 and she was raking leaves.  She wanted to take a break and she decided to toss the rake up into a tree so it would hang on a branch.  I was standing beneath the branch, looking straight up.  Well....the rake missed the branch but landed instead on my forehead (metal fingers down of course) and knocked me out.  Next thing I knew, I was lying on the ground and my parents/grandparents were standing over me.  My aunt got in trouble but it was really my own fault for standing there after she told me to move.

The worst thing was when I was 15.  I had a stricture in my ureter -- the tube that leads from the kidney was closed.  My kidney was almost ready to bust when I got violently ill and went to the hospital.  It took them days to figure out what was wrong but they got to it just in time.  My kidney was about to burst, which would have poisoned me.  Luckily, all I have left to remember that time is a scar across the right side of my waist.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 11:35 am

Hmm, touch wood nothing too serious.I got blood poisoning from a bamboo cane when I was gardening.I didn't see it and it went in arm. Other than that I have broken my little toe and my little finger. I did trip up as a child and slide along the pavement on the side of my face, as you can imagine it was a hell of a mess but luckilly it didn't scar.

My scarriest near death was very stupid  and completely my fault. I was standing on a pile of books on a chair trying to reach in a high cupboard and lost my balance falling off backwards, my head missed hitting the side of the bed behind me by centimetres, I would have broken my neck no question if I had. I still feel a bit sick when I think about it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...