inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Thank Him" (in support of our troops)

Written By: audkal on 09/03/06 at 8:57 pm

I found this on a site, thought it was interesting/important:

Thank him, that's all he wants...

Your alarm goes off, you hit the snooze and sleep for another 10 minutes.
He stays up for days on end.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.
He goes days or weeks without running water.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.
He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends.
He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket.
He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.

You talk trash on your "buddies" that aren't with you.
He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.
He walks the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.
He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.
He does not get to eat today.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.
He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.
He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You are angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.
He is told he will be held an extra 2 months.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.
He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.
He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.
He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet.

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and remembers why he is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.
He hears the gun fire and bombs.

You see only what the media wants you to see.
He sees the bodies lying around him.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.
He does what he is told.

You stay at home and watch TV.
He takes whatever time he is given to call and write home, sleep, and eat.

You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get comfortable.
He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be woken by gun fire.

You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because of men like him.
If only there were more men like him.

If you support your troops, send this to your friends!

Subject: Re: "Thank Him" (in support of our troops)

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/03/06 at 9:52 pm

You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt,

Thats bullsh*t, this is implying that being anti-war and not supporting the troops goes hand in hand. So the majority of the American people don't support their troops?

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and remembers why he is fighting.

Does he remind himself that our presence in Iraq has a facilitated a civil war that could last for years?

I support & appreciate our troops, but this letter is garbage.

Written By: Tia on 09/03/06 at 10:07 pm

Thats bullsh*t, this is implying that being anti-war and not supporting the troops goes hand in hand. So the majority of the American people don't support their troops?

Does he remind himself that our presence in Iraq has a facilitated a civil war that could last for years?

hear hear. i kept trying to come up with a response to this that wasn't so enraged it was inappropriate, but i had no luck.

i'm so fed up with pro-iraq war folks wrapping themselves in false nobility while they're getting innocent people killed left and right for no reason. quit hiding behind the military! if there's a decent reason for this war, tell us what it is! explain all the lies by the administration! justify all this death and loss that right now appears to be needless, and serving no purpose whatsoever. let us know when those kids you pretend to love so much can quit "staying the course" and finally come home.

sorry, guess i got enraged anyway. oops. :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/03/06 at 10:09 pm

Who is the "him" we're supposed to be thanking?  God?  Jesus?  Bush?  Mark Twain?

Written By: Tia on 09/03/06 at 10:14 pm

Who is the "him" we're supposed to be thanking?  God?  Jesus?  Bush?  Mark Twain?
i think the everyman american soldier? forget the women over there, they don't count.

assumedly the numerous soldiers accused of torture, murder, and various other war crimes don't count either. we're just meant to think about the idealized unquestionably wonderful abstract u.s. soldier. some of them actually ARE wonderful. others, frankly, aren't.

Written By: Tam on 09/04/06 at 8:29 pm

(shouldn't this be in the politics section?)

I have received this email, along with the pictures that are supposed to be under each section.
"Him" meaning Joe Military.

I am not Pro Bush, Pro War, Pro Republican.
I am Pro Soldier and my view is actually pretty simple.

I am the wife of an Army man!
I understand everyone elses frustrations with the lengthiness of this so-called war.
Ya'll can complain all you want about it - I LIVE IT!
I support the Soldiers because they signed up to follow orders.
Yes, it was their choice to sign on the dotted line...
Which means they must do what they are told.
They die for their country - even though it is for something they themselves don't necessarily believe in!
(I am not trying to incite a fued either)

Don't get me wrong.... I HATE IT!
But I married my husband knowing full well what it meant.
It was a choice I made and obviously a choice I live with. >:(

My favorite saying is pretty simple:
If you refuse to stand behind our soldiers,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/06 at 9:08 pm

I have mixed feelings about this because of a personal experience I had while I was in the Army. I was stationed in Germany during the first Gulf War, and during the Desert Shield build-up phase there was a massive anti-war protest in front of my base. There had to have been a good 5,000 German civilians there, and the base was on high alert and on lockdown. One of my sergeants and I went off base to get some lunch and they wouldn't allow us to drive back in, so, as circumstances would have it, after we were done eating we had to walk directly through the crowd to get back inside the base (and I should also mention that we were in uniform). We were nervous to say the least, but I have to give the organizers credit because no one harassed us or made us feel threatened in any way. About halfway through these three 13-year old girls chanted "Don't go to the desert...DESERT!" at us, but otherwise we made it back safely inside without incident.
    I knew that they were protesting our government's policy and not us personally, but I still couldn't help but feel angry because they weren't behind us. I was a truck driver, and when I drove to different bases, sometimes there's be a dozen or so protesters gathered at the front gate and some of them would whip cameras and try to take my picture, which I found extremely irritating and degrading. I was really starting to hate on Germans until one day I was driving my truck down the autobahn and this old German man was standing on an overpass, and he waved at me and smiled, and it made me feel really good.
    Like most of you here, I too am opposed to the Iraq War and think it's a complete crock of sh*t. I hate the fact that good young people are dying for no good reason. Yet I don't think that I, in good consience, could participate in an anti-war protest simply because I remember how it made me feel. I'm not trying to knock anyone who participates in anti-war protests because a) it's your constituional right to assemble peaceably and b) I'm fully aware that the anti-war movement means no disrespect whatsoever towards the troops, I'm just saying I don't think I could do it myself. 

Written By: Tia on 09/04/06 at 9:24 pm

there are some real jackasses at antiwar protests. i remember during the inauguration uniformed marines went by and a buncha guys started yelling, "what's 20,000 marines at the bottom of the ocean? a good start!" oo! revising an old, and particularly revolting racist joke to speak out for peace. thanks for the help but could you wanna-be antiwar guys not breathe my air?

but then later i was at an antiwar protest (there's LOTS of protests in d.c., obviously) and there was this dude in civilian clothes holding a "d.c. cop against the war" sign and sitting on a corner and as the people walked by him people cheered nonstop, he was the most popular dude at the protest. so it goes both ways, i think most folks are sensitive that the people in uniform are exactly the people ya wanna reach out to if you wanna change minds and encourage people to think, but unfortunately the jerks are more vocal and get all the attention.

a protest diary...

http://www.popmatters.com/features/030324-iraq-ward.shtml

when i saw folks change the sign from "neanderthal president" to "honk for peace" and everyone's reaction started to change, that was a real eye opener for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/06 at 12:50 pm

(shouldn't this be in the politics section?)

I have received this email, along with the pictures that are supposed to be under each section.
"Him" meaning Joe Military.

I am not Pro Bush, Pro War, Pro Republican.
I am Pro Soldier and my view is actually pretty simple.

I am the wife of an Army man!
I understand everyone elses frustrations with the lengthiness of this so-called war.
Ya'll can complain all you want about it - I LIVE IT!
I support the Soldiers because they signed up to follow orders.
Yes, it was their choice to sign on the dotted line...
Which means they must do what they are told.
They die for their country - even though it is for something they themselves don't necessarily believe in!
(I am not trying to incite a fued either)

Don't get me wrong.... I HATE IT!
But I married my husband knowing full well what it meant.
It was a choice I made and obviously a choice I live with. >:(

My favorite saying is pretty simple:
If you refuse to stand behind our soldiers,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!

Applause, applause.

Being a disabled vet, I am for "Supporting our troops" which this Administration does not. They are very quick to send members of the military to die but when they come home, they are treated like sh!t. Funding for the V.A. is being cut as well as benefits. Right now, I am fighting to have the V.A. pay for my last mammogram-which is one of my entitlements as a disabled vet. I have to fight for this EVERY year!!

To me, just thanking a person of the military is not supporting them. Supporting them means not putting them in harms way if it can be avoided and if it can't be helped, then Uncle Sam should provide assistance to them (and their families) AFTER they returned home.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 09/05/06 at 12:53 pm

Applause, applause.

Being a disabled vet, I am for "Supporting our troops" which this Administration does not. They are very quick to send members of the military to die but when they come home, they are treated like sh!t. Funding for the V.A. is being cut as well as benefits. Right now, I am fighting to have the V.A. pay for my last mammogram-which is one of my entitlements as a disabled vet. I have to fight for this EVERY year!!

To me, just thanking a person of the military is not supporting them. Supporting them means not putting them in harms way if it can be avoided and if it can't be helped, then Uncle Sam should provide assistance to them (and their families) AFTER they returned home.

Cat

Right back atcha!

I have seen so many soldiers come back home only to be put out on medical and barely covered. Nevermind trying to fix them - let's just put them out and let VA deal with them! Nice support system!

I wish you didn't have to fight for your VA every year Cat. Hopefully, one day you wont have to. It will just permanently be there! ;)

Written By: Tia on 09/05/06 at 1:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_LcLzMc_Y

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/05/06 at 1:36 pm

I hate when people post links to videos.

I have dial-up. :-'(

Written By: Tia on 09/05/06 at 1:42 pm

i wish i'd never gotten wireless. youtube is so amazing i'm pretty much shooting it straight into my arm, all day and all night. i forget -- is the sun yellow? round or square? is it real, or a myth?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/06 at 1:45 pm

I hear ya. I have dial-up, too.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/06 at 1:54 pm

Coming from a military family I've always supported the troops. This is not a war that I support though.

I fail to see how anybody could make it any clearer.

If you join the armed forces, you HAVE.. NO.. CHOICE.

These beatniks that talk about deserting, they don't understand, if you do that and are caught, you go this place called jail. Let's throw them in jail, see how they like it.

It's very very clear.
The troops are their doing the job that they have an obligation to do, some want to be there, some don't. The fact is that they have to be there.

The bullsh.it about - "Well, they didn't have to join the army." Err excuse me, but when you weren't fed from a silverspoon sometimes joining the forces is the only way you can go through life.

My old man had no qualifications whatsoever, he joined the army, learnt skills (also learnt to play the trumpet, and when he left the army he became a musician), travelled, was taken care of and earnt decent money.
This is a very common story.

Check for new replies or respond here...