inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Know Any Of These Songs And/Or Artists?

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/05/06 at 3:17 pm

...I'm curious. ???

Cuz I've used lyrics and/or sound clippings from these songs in my quizzes, where they remained unanswered.

So now I was wondering: am I really the only person to know these songs?
:-\\

4 My People - Missy Elliott
5:01 AM (The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking) - Roger Waters
A Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad
African Blood - Supermax
Animal Woman - Y&T
Any Second Now (Voices) - Depeche Mode
As - George Michael & Mary J. Blige
Baby Can I Change Your Mind - The Foghat
Be Free With Your Love - Spandau Ballet
Because The Night - Co.Ro feat. Tarlisa
Behind Closed Doors - Julia Fordham
Bourr

Subject: Re: Do You Know Any Of These Songs And/Or Artists?

Written By: Morton on 09/05/06 at 3:25 pm

The ones i've heard are:

4 My People - Missy Elliott: Was a reasonable hit for her back in 2002. Basement Jaxx did a remix of it

As - George Michael & Mary J. Blige: This is the one with the music video with loads of George Michaels and Mary J Bliges in it

Don't You Love Me - Eternal: Wasn't their most popular hit, but got reasonable airplay

Luvstruck - Southside Spinners: This was a dancey one, wasn't it? If I remember rightly, it's from the summer of 2000

Ooh Wee - Mark Ronson: I think i've heard this one, or at least there's a song keeps getting played on the radio at work which also goes 'Ooh Wee'

The Launch - DJ Jean: Oh sweet Jesus, yes. Got shedloads of airplay and made no.2 in the UK charts, despite being one of the most irritating "songs" of the past 6 years

Through The Rain - Mariah Carey: I've only heard it a few times. This was a minor UK hit for Mariah

Who's Gonna Stop The Rain - Anastacia: I only know this one because my mam has her albums. I don't think this was released as a single in the UK

Hope that helps :)

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/06 at 3:31 pm

Animal Woman - Y&T
Bourr

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 3:33 pm

These are the only ones I've heard of:

Hands Across America - Voices Of America
Through The Rain - Mariah Carey

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 3:49 pm

Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway
Home - Depeche Mode
If I Ever Fall In Love - Shai
New Life - Depeche Mode

I know Brenda Holloway because I was raised on Motown. I also had the pleasure of seeing her five years ago at a concert. She rocked. I know the two DeMode songs because they are on my singles collection...and Home happens to be one of my favorite songs by them. And the Shai song I used to listen to when I was younger.

Many of the songs sound like remakes and most of the DeMode songs sound familiar, but I don't think I've heard them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/06 at 4:13 pm

I know Sing for the Day-Styx

Cat

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/05/06 at 4:35 pm

The ones i've heard are:

4 My People - Missy Elliott: Was a reasonable hit for her back in 2002. Basement Jaxx did a remix of it

As - George Michael & Mary J. Blige: This is the one with the music video with loads of George Michaels and Mary J Bliges in it

Don't You Love Me - Eternal: Wasn't their most popular hit, but got reasonable airplay

Luvstruck - Southside Spinners: This was a dancey one, wasn't it? If I remember rightly, it's from the summer of 2000

Ooh Wee - Mark Ronson: I think i've heard this one, or at least there's a song keeps getting played on the radio at work which also goes 'Ooh Wee'

The Launch - DJ Jean: Oh sweet Jesus, yes. Got shedloads of airplay and made no.2 in the UK charts, despite being one of the most irritating "songs" of the past 6 years

Through The Rain - Mariah Carey: I've only heard it a few times. This was a minor UK hit for Mariah

Who's Gonna Stop The Rain - Anastacia: I only know this one because my mam has her albums. I don't think this was released as a single in the UK

Hope that helps :)

Yes, I own all of the songs above.

I dare say I know some of the others, but unless I own something, chances are I'll have no idea what the name of the song is.  :)

I know Brenda Holloway because I was raised on Motown. I also had the pleasure of seeing her five years ago at a concert. She rocked. I know the two DeMode songs because they are on my singles collection...and Home happens to be one of my favorite songs by them. And the Shai song I used to listen to when I was younger.

Many of the songs sound like remakes and most of the DeMode songs sound familiar, but I don't think I've heard them.

I know Sing for the Day-Styx

Cat

It's good to know some songs are (reasonably) well known to you. This makes me feel a little better. :)

It's a pity though you weren't around to participate in my quizzes. ;)

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/05/06 at 4:59 pm

I know the Mariah Carrey song and I think I know the "Deeper Shade Of Soul" song- I think that one's played on MuchMoreRetro sometimes

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/06 at 5:25 pm

The only title I recognize from that list is 'Christmas Through Your Eyes' by Gloria Estefan...and even then, I'd only know the music and not the lyrics... :-\\

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/05/06 at 8:09 pm

I don't make it to the quiz section as often as I should, but I know these songs offhand:

Boys Say Go! - Depeche Mode
Do You Wanna Funk - Patrick Cowley & Sylvester
Eaten Alive - Diana Ross
Face The Face - Pete Townshend
Higher Love - Depeche Mode
Hollywood Seven - Alides Hidding
Home - Depeche Mode
It Doesn't Matter - Depeche Mode
Mayday Anthem - Westbam
New Dress - Depeche Mode
New Life - Depeche Mode
SOS Fire In The Sky - Deodato
That's What Love Can Do - Boy Krazy
The Launch - DJ Jean
The Sun & The Rainfall - Depeche Mode
The Things You Said - Depeche Mode
Tora! Tora! Tora! - Depeche Mode

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/06 at 8:57 pm

Do The Strand - Roxy Music
Don't You Love Me - Eternal
Easier Said Than Done - Jon Anderson
Eaten Alive - Diana Ross
Feel What You Want - Kristine W.
Hands Across America - Voices Of America
Home - Depeche Mode
I Need You - Paul Carrack
I Think It's Love - Jermaine Stewart
Let It Snow - Boyz II Men
Lethal Industry - DJ Tiesto
Manuel Goodbye - Audrey Landers
New Life - Depeche Mode
Satellite - Hooters
The Launch - DJ Jean
Through The Rain - Mariah Carey
View From A Bridge - Kim Wilde
We Are The World - Twenty 4 Seven
Who's Gonna Stop The Rain - Anastacia

I know all of those, and I have some of those (such as "Manuel Goodbye" on 45), but not too well enough to sometimes recognize them within a small soundclip  :\'(

I do however know "I Need You" by Paul Carrack real well.  Heck, I could recognize it coming out of someone's iPod in a room full of people screaming  ;D  Have you used it in an audio quiz yet?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 8:59 pm

Maybe Henk should only do audio quizzes for Jason.  It seems he's the only one who knows most of this obscure crap.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/05/06 at 9:02 pm

Maybe Henk should only do audio quizzes for Jason.  It seems he's the only one who knows most of this obscure crap.

I'd watch out before calling it all crap! =P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 9:02 pm

I'd watch out before calling it all crap! =P

Crap =  stuff

You know....."Whose crap is on the floor?"  "Oh, that's my stuff.....".

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/06 at 9:08 pm

Not all of it is obscure.  "Face the Face" by Pete Townshend and "I Need You" by Paul Carrack both hit the US Top 30.  The rest is obscure ;D

For me, the best songs are those which are not popular in North America, so I can often recognize songs that no one else does ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 9:09 pm

Not all of it is obscure.  "Face the Face" by Pete Townshend and "I Need You" by Paul Carrack both hit the US Top 30.  The rest is obscure ;D

For me, the best songs are those which are not popular in North America, so I can often recognize songs that no one else does ;D

Those songs are obscure to me.....I've never heard of them.  I only know of those two people in their respective bands.

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/06 at 9:18 pm

Those songs are obscure to me.....I've never heard of them.  I only know of those two people in their respective bands.

For Paul Carrack, which band though?  He was a member of ...

Ace
Roxy Music
Squeeze
Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit
Mike + the Mechanics

;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 9:19 pm

I only knew of his work with Ace.  The song "How Long" is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of.

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 9:59 pm

I only knew of his work with Ace.  The song "How Long" is the only song of theirs I've ever heard of.

I love that song.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/05/06 at 10:02 pm

Only one I recognize right now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 10:04 pm

I love that song.

It's one of my favorite songs, EVER.  I love how it reads like it's about one thing, but the song was written about something completely different.

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 10:11 pm

It's one of my favorite songs, EVER.  I love how it reads like it's about one thing, but the song was written about something completely different.

You intrigued me, so I went and looked it up. I would've never guessed it was about that.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/05/06 at 10:25 pm

...I'm curious. ???

Cuz I've used lyrics and/or sound clippings from these songs in my quizzes, where they remained unanswered.

So now I was wondering: am I really the only person to know these songs?
:-\\

4 My People - Missy Elliott
African Blood - Supermax
Animal Woman - Y&T
Baby Can I Change Your Mind - The Foghat
Because The Night - Co.Ro feat. Tarlisa
Bourr

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 10:40 pm

You intrigued me, so I went and looked it up. I would've never guessed it was about that.

I like that it's intentionally ambiguous. 

Written By: Gis on 09/06/06 at 1:32 am

Ok I know about 10 and at least three of them I love and would have got instantly, Love on a rooftop by Desmond Child being one of them (it's a fab song.)To make a valid point here, I don't have a sound card in my computer att work so I can't do your 'musical clip' quizes and I'm probably not the only one who can't actually play the clips which is why I and maybe others don't enter.

Written By: Paul on 09/06/06 at 7:25 am

So now I was wondering: am I really the only person to know these songs? :-\\

I can do you for four 'definites', Henk...

Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway
Original Bird Dance - Electronicas
Race With The Devil - Gun
View From A Bridge - Kim Wilde

...these four I'd normally readily 'get', but I must have overlooked them...sorry!  :-[

As for the others, well...a lot of familiar names, but sadly a lot of the titles don't immediately register...

I wouldn't worry too much...you contribute some fine quizzes (and I've been known to stagger on the side of obscurity at times!  ;))

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/06/06 at 4:22 pm

I see no smileys so I take it you're being serious here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So I've used what you consider to be "obscure crap". If that's a crime (in your eyes), I plead guilty. Yes, I've done it and I will do it again, given the chance. "Obscure crap" is what makes my quizzes quizzes - I'm sorry if you don't like that.
I have often been amazed by the knowledge of other members, even when it came to the "obscure crap" section. That's why I kept putting them in my quizzes. If you're not into this "obscure crap", maybe that's your bad.

From the replies to my original post I conclude that Jason isn't the only one to know "this obscure crap". I admit though Jason and I do seem to have a similar taste in music. Obviously that's not your taste, but that doesn't make it "crap".

Crap =  stuff

You know....."Whose crap is on the floor?"  "Oh, that's my stuff.....".

Sorry - that's not what it says in my dictionary.
Crap: 1. excrement. 2. act of defecating. 3. nonsense.

Is my dictionary wrong?

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/06/06 at 4:24 pm

Ok I know about 10 and at least three of them I love and would have got instantly, Love on a rooftop by Desmond Child being one of them (it's a fab song.)To make a valid point here, I don't have a sound card in my computer att work so I can't do your 'musical clip' quizes and I'm probably not the only one who can't actually play the clips which is why I and maybe others don't enter.

You do have a valid point, Gis. I should've taken that in consideration. :-[

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/06/06 at 4:27 pm

I don't make it to the quiz section as often as I should, but I know these songs offhand:

Boys Say Go! - Depeche Mode
Eaten Alive - Diana Ross
Higher Love - Depeche Mode
Hollywood Seven - Alides Hidding
Home - Depeche Mode
It Doesn't Matter - Depeche Mode
Mayday Anthem - Westbam
New Dress - Depeche Mode
New Life - Depeche Mode
SOS Fire In The Sky - Deodato
That's What Love Can Do - Boy Krazy
The Launch - DJ Jean
The Sun & The Rainfall - Depeche Mode
The Things You Said - Depeche Mode

You really should check out my audio quizzes more often! ;) I didn't expect to find anyone knowing Alides Hidding - or Westbam.

Written By: Apricot on 09/06/06 at 4:42 pm

I know of Neutral Milk Hotel, They Might Be Giants, and Depeche Mode.. but I wouldn't know those songs from a clip or lyrics.. I either don't know the song or don't like the song.. with Depeche Mode, it seems to be don't know.. with the other two, it's don't like.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/06/06 at 4:47 pm

I know of Neutral Milk Hotel, They Might Be Giants, and Depeche Mode.. but I wouldn't know those songs from a clip or lyrics.. I either don't know the song or don't like the song.. with Depeche Mode, it seems to be don't know.. with the other two, it's don't like.

That's okay, I understand. :)

And FYI: just because I used these songs, doesn't mean I like them all. ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/06/06 at 4:56 pm

I see no smileys so I take it you're being serious here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So I've used what you consider to be "obscure crap". If that's a crime (in your eyes), I plead guilty. Yes, I've done it and I will do it again, given the chance. "Obscure crap" is what makes my quizzes quizzes - I'm sorry if you don't like that.
I have often been amazed by the knowledge of other members, even when it came to the "obscure crap" section. That's why I kept putting them in my quizzes. If you're not into this "obscure crap", maybe that's your bad.

From the replies to my original post I conclude that Jason isn't the only one to know "this obscure crap". I admit though Jason and I do seem to have a similar taste in music. Obviously that's not your taste, but that doesn't make it "crap".

Sorry - that's not what it says in my dictionary.
Crap: 1. excrement. 2. act of defecating. 3. nonsense.

Is my dictionary wrong?

According the Wikipedia article on the word, there is more than just the meanings you presented above.  You've never heard someone use the word "crap" when talking about "stuff"?  It's a colloquialism and I hear it constantly.  "Will someone pick this crap up off the floor?" is something I hear a lot in my house....because my sister and I are a bit messy.  Is my mom calling my sister's shoes "excrement, the act of defecating or nonsense"?  No, she's not.  It's stuff....and it's on the floor and in her way, so it's crap. 

You misunderstood what I was saying and went in a whole new tangent than it was not meant to go.  And you are wrong.....I wasn't being serious.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/07/06 at 2:30 pm

According the Wikipedia article on the word, there is more than just the meanings you presented above.  You've never heard someone use the word "crap" when talking about "stuff"?  It's a colloquialism and I hear it constantly.  "Will someone pick this crap up off the floor?" is something I hear a lot in my house....because my sister and I are a bit messy.  Is my mom calling my sister's shoes "excrement, the act of defecating or nonsense"?  No, she's not.  It's stuff....and it's on the floor and in her way, so it's crap. 

You misunderstood what I was saying and went in a whole new tangent than it was not meant to go.  And you are wrong.....I wasn't being serious.

Ah.. well... :-\\ in that case I think I owe you an apology. :-[ Sorry for misunderstanding your post. I guess I don't know you well enough (yet) to read between the lines.

Check for new replies or respond here...