inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/06 at 9:52 pm

I took care of it.  Don't give this clown any attention.  Just a useless script kiddie.  I'm sure he feels like a big man, but anyone could do what he did by just following some simple directions.

I was one patch behind on the messageboard software.  Fortunately I did a backup just a few days ago, so nothing was lost.

The tech support people at my hosting company were useless.  Just kept me on hold forever and then told me there was nothing they could help me with.  Gee, thanks guys.

Subject: Re: What happened?

Written By: Abix on 09/07/06 at 9:55 pm

I was online when it happened.. and I just about had a panic attack thinking I lost my beloved Inthe00s!

Written By: Morton on 09/07/06 at 9:56 pm

^ I'll second that!

Glad nothing was lost though, and that the site's okay  :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/06 at 9:59 pm

I am glad nothing was lost.  I kept thinking that maybe people would lose some posts.  A board I used to belong to got hacked one day, and when it came back, everyone had lost every post they'd made within a month :o

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/07/06 at 10:00 pm

Ah, I got pretty scared, but knew Chucky'd fix it right up... Thanks, yo.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/06 at 10:00 pm

The second message was from me.  When I logged in and saw what happened, I made sure to remove their message ASAP.  These losers thrive on getting confirmation screenshots of captured sites.  The longer it was up, the more they get to brag.

It's a Turkish group, all using the same script.  One person figured it out, the rest were just lame and used it.

I removed the threads people started, because I don't want them to receive a lot of attention. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/07/06 at 10:00 pm

I admit, I was a little worried myself.....I thought my computer was going to get effed up! 

Glad to see Chucky was on the case and got everything fixed up.  Cheers to Chucky!

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/06 at 10:02 pm

I am glad nothing was lost.  I kept thinking that maybe people would lose some posts.  A board I used to belong to got hacked one day, and when it came back, everyone had lost every post they'd made within a month :o

Back when I switched to YaBB, someone discovered the default admin account was never de-activated and removed every message. My backup restored all but the last four months or so.  I've gotten better about backups, but I'd still lose a lot if they hit at the wrong time.

Written By: Morton on 09/07/06 at 10:02 pm

The second message was from me.  When I logged in and saw what happened, I made sure to remove their message ASAP.  These losers thrive on getting confirmation screenshots of captured sites.  The longer it was up, the more they get to brag.

It's a Turkish group, all using the same script.  One person figured it out, the rest were just lame and used it.

I removed the threads people started, because I don't want them to receive a lot of attention. 

Yeah, he was a part of a hacking site, which gave instructions on hacking, from beginners to more advanced hacking. And they were TURKISH? I came pretty close with Arabic, then  ;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/07/06 at 10:02 pm

Yeah I was worried something like that would give me a virus.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/06 at 10:03 pm

I admit, I was a little worried myself.....I thought my computer was going to get effed up! 

Don't worry, I have the file they uploaded and there's nothing dangerous in it (no javascript, or Active-X exploits). Fairly tame kiddie stuff.  Could have been much worse.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/07/06 at 10:05 pm

Don't worry, I have the file they uploaded and there's nothing dangerous in it (no javascript, or Active-X exploits). Fairly tame kiddie stuff.  Could have been much worse.

Yeah the could have cleaned the place out, its happened to sites before.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/07/06 at 10:05 pm

It seems to have just been ascii characters.

Written By: Abix on 09/07/06 at 10:07 pm

I ran a spyware scan and a virus scan immediately.. I'm curious what messages did they post?

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/07/06 at 10:10 pm

It was some text picture of some sort of head. It had "Hacx" written all over.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/06 at 10:12 pm

I ran a spyware scan and a virus scan immediately.. I'm curious what messages did they post?

Never a bad idea.  If you got something, and it's probably not from the hack though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/06 at 10:27 pm

Nice work ChuckyG. You took care of it pretty quickly. 

Written By: CeeKay on 09/07/06 at 10:36 pm

Nice work ChuckyG. You took care of it pretty quickly. 

Yep.  Thanks ChuckyG!  I admit it kinda freaked me out at first and like the others, I feared for my (and everyone else's) computer's safety.  But, yay, we're back on track.  Good Job!

Written By: Jessica on 09/07/06 at 11:17 pm

That's been going around a lot, apparently. Another board I look at got hacked and the boards it was affiliated with got hacked as well.

Just some loser people who suck balls and have to destroy other people's hard work.

Written By: Gis on 09/08/06 at 5:51 am

Eh?? what happened ? what did I miss?? Did this happen when the U.K users would have been fast asleep in bed?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/08/06 at 5:52 am

Eh?? what happened ? what did I miss?? Did this happen when the U.K users would have been fast asleep in bed?

The site got hacked at about 9:30 last night.  With the time difference, most UK'ers would have been sleeping.  Chucky was able to fix it and the site didn't lose anything.

Written By: Gis on 09/08/06 at 5:57 am

The site got hacked at about 9:30 last night.  With the time difference, most UK'ers would have been sleeping.  Chucky was able to fix it and the site didn't lose anything.
Wow, right now this thread makes sense.

Written By: karen on 09/08/06 at 6:26 am

Wow, right now this thread makes sense.

We miss all the best stuff!

Written By: Morton on 09/08/06 at 6:47 am

The site was hacked at about 3:30am, and was back online within an hour.. so yeah, most UK users (except me) would have been in bed  ;D

Written By: Gis on 09/08/06 at 8:18 am

The site was hacked at about 3:30am, and was back online within an hour.. so yeah, most UK users (except me) would have been in bed  ;D
Mr creature of the night, you never seem to sleep!  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/06 at 11:54 am

I know I didn't last night.  It didn't take me long to fix, but I spent hours backing up the rest of the server.  I've made hundreds of changes to amiwrong in the week since the last backup and was totally freaked out I may have lost them.  Then once it was all done, I couldn't get back to sleep.  I'm a total wreck today.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/08/06 at 3:19 pm

I know I didn't last night.  It didn't take me long to fix, but I spent hours backing up the rest of the server.  I've made hundreds of changes to amiwrong in the week since the last backup and was totally freaked out I may have lost them.  Then once it was all done, I couldn't get back to sleep.  I'm a total wreck today.

Go get some well deserved rest .

Written By: Howard on 09/08/06 at 3:38 pm

Is everything alright now?

Written By: Morton on 09/09/06 at 8:12 am

;D I usually sleep from 3am - 11:30am, but I wanted to stay up to see that everything was gonna get sorted, and get sorted it did  :)

Yep. The board is back to normal, and we're now much better prepared if something like that (or even worse) ever happened, because chucky's backed up the boards

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/09/06 at 8:52 am

Well obviously.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/09/06 at 9:59 am

I missed it all.............as usual ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/09/06 at 6:52 pm

I saw it.  Kinda creepy.  Glad Chucky was able to fix it without losing much if anything.

Written By: annonymouse on 09/09/06 at 8:56 pm

that face was very demonic. and it was MADE out of the word haczx.  at first glance i thought it was either a hack or i had been banned for some reason. luckily i have the aim of one of the other members. i thought the whole site may have been destroyed. but what can i say? i know nothing about hacking.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/06 at 7:14 am

that face was very demonic. and it was MADE out of the word haczx.  at first glance i thought it was either a hack or i had been banned for some reason. luckily i have the aim of one of the other members. i thought the whole site may have been destroyed. but what can i say? i know nothing about hacking.

Yes the image certainly was sinister-looking.  And they left a email address on it too.  I just Yahoo=ed it and the very first hit that comes up is actually inthe002.com.  >:(

I wonder if these guys can be prosecuted in Turkey for their destructive ways? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/11/06 at 4:17 pm

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/11/06 at 4:27 pm

Obviously.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/06 at 4:29 pm

Obviously.

I'm glad that It didn't happen again

Check for new replies or respond here...