inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did your parents meet?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 4:47 pm

I can't remember if this has been done as a topic on its own, but it may be interesting...

Carry on...  :)

Subject: Re: How did your parents meet?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 4:48 pm

I have no clue.  They didn't grow up in the same city, so they didn't meet in school or a job....stuff like that.  To be honest, I never bothered asking them.  I know they started dating in 1971 and got married in January of '72.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 4:50 pm

Almost 40 Years ago,I just can't remember right now.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/20/06 at 4:51 pm

My parents met in the mid-1950s, and I believe my father was working for my mother's father at the time and had come over to their house for something... :)

(Their 48th Anniversary will be coming up October 4th...)

Written By: nally on 09/20/06 at 4:52 pm

I've asked mine how they met...and they've told me. I don't remember all the details, but all I generally remember is that they met in the journalism department at Cal State Northridge in 1974.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 4:52 pm

My parents met in the mid-1950s, and I believe my father was working for my mother's father at the time and had come over to their house for something... :)

(Their 48th Anniversary will be coming up October 4th...)

My Parent's Anniversary passed (August 3rd,1969) :)

Written By: nally on 09/20/06 at 4:55 pm

My Parent's Anniversary passed (August 3rd,1969) :)

Their wedding anniversary?

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 4:55 pm

Their wedding anniversary?

Yes,37 Years. :)

Written By: nally on 09/20/06 at 4:57 pm

Yes,37 Years. :)

Cool. :) My parents' 30th wedding anniversary is coming up next month!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 4:58 pm

Interesting replies... I've always been interested in family history and stories, so.. anyway...

My parents met in December of 1977 at a doctor friend's Christmas party and pretty much had a whirlwind romance. They were married in September of 1978.

My parent's anniversary passed on September 16th. They are now divorced, but they were married for 16 years. Last weekend would have been their 28th Anniversary.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 4:59 pm

Cool. :) My parents' 30th wedding anniversary is coming up next month!

Tell them Happy Anniversary for me. ;)

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 5:05 pm

In school

Written By: Paul on 09/20/06 at 5:05 pm

My Dad had just been demobbed from his two-year stint of Army service (1955) and not long after returning home, a few of his pals invited him out to the other side of town, 'for a change'...

So, fate had it that he crossed over the river to the south side of London where my Mother lived...the rest, as the old cliche goes, is history...

'Mind you...', he said, 'it was a bugger getting back to the East End from South London late at night!'  ;)

And it'll be 50 years of wedded strife for them in 2008...

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 5:05 pm

In school

How many years ago?

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 5:18 pm

How many years ago?

Crap, I dunno...35, 36-ish?  They're divorced.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/20/06 at 5:40 pm

My Dad had just been demobbed from his two-year stint of Army service (1955) and not long after returning home, a few of his pals invited him out to the other side of town, 'for a change'...

So, fate had it that he crossed over the river to the south side of London where my Mother lived...the rest, as the old cliche goes, is history...

So your folks came from opposite ends of town, eh?  :)

And it'll be 50 years of wedded strife for them in 2008...

Same with my parents... :)

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 5:49 pm

Crap, I dunno...35, 36-ish?  They're divorced.

May I ask how? ???  :(

Written By: La Roche on 09/20/06 at 5:59 pm

At a fancy dress party, my Dad was dressed in his normal clothes (after being in the army for a decade he didn't have anything 'current'..my mother just assumed he was dressed up) when they went on their first date and he was wearing almost identical clothes.. she caught on.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/06 at 6:01 pm

I would have to ask them again if they can remember 40 years ago.

Written By: Jessica on 09/20/06 at 6:16 pm

They met through my mother's sister's boyfriend in 1977. They got married in September of 1979. I was born four months later. They're still married and they just celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary last Saturday.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 6:18 pm

They met through my mother's sister's boyfriend in 1977. They got married in September of 1979. I was born four months later. They're still married and they just celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary last Saturday.

So it was a shot-gun wedding, eh?

Written By: Jessica on 09/20/06 at 6:35 pm

[quote author=

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 6:57 pm

May I ask how? ???  :(

*bangs morphie's head on desk*    :D

How they met?  I already said that.

How they divorced?  My dad worked out of town and cheated on my mom.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 6:57 pm

*bangs morphie's head on desk*    :D

How they met?  I already said that.

How they divorced?  My dad worked out of town and cheated on my mom.

HEY!  Only I get to bang my head on the desk. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 7:00 pm

[quote author=

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/06 at 7:10 pm

My parents met when they both worked at Horne's Department store.  They went to opposite high schools, but the funny thing is that they had some of the same friends. They would all hang out at a local swimming pool. Anyway, my dad asked my mom out and they dated for awhile...got engaged, and then they got married in, I believe, 1969....and are still together.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/06 at 7:11 pm

My dad is from Northern Ontario, and moved here in the very early 70s when he was offered a good-paying job in his field.  He met a woman at work, their romance bloomed into marriage, and 3 years later my brother popped out, followed a year and a half later by me :D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/20/06 at 11:29 pm

8) My parents met in Highschool, Oxford Miss...My mom was 15 and my dad was 16...They got married the next year..I was born in 67...I cant believe they are still married...in this day and age..its a miracle!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/21/06 at 1:37 am

Following a tour of duty during the Korean war, my dad got a sweet deal & was stationed in Austria, where he met a young Yugoslavian girl named Sonja, my mom. They fell in love, got married & she moved into base housing. My sister was born in Graz, Austria. Then he got stationed in Fort Worth Texas where my brother was born. Shortly afterwards, he got stationed in Fort Polk Louisiana, where things really got weird. They had me  8) & their lives were never quite the same. I think that many soldiers took home European brides to the US.

Written By: karen on 09/21/06 at 3:42 am

They met at a youth club dance.  Not too long after my dad was posted to Kenya (he'd joined the RAF) so they got engaged and then married about a year later.  My mum moved out to Kenya for a couple of years.  Then my dad was stationed back in the UK and my eldest brother was born in '63 in Lincolnshire.  My dad came out of the RAF and they moved back here.  My other brother was born in '66 and I was born in '69.

Their wedding anniversary was last Sunday and they've been married for 46 years.

Written By: Morton on 09/21/06 at 5:43 am

From what i've been told, they met when they were both out one night. I was shocked when, only last year, my mam told me they'd never been married, nor did they ever plan to!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/21/06 at 6:58 am

I've asked mine how they met...and they've told me. I don't remember all the details, but all I generally remember is that they met in the journalism department at Cal State Northridge in 1974.
:o :o YOU don't remember? :o :o ;)

My dad had just gotten out of the Air Force after the Korean War and started working at a factory.  My mom started working there in 1956 and they met there.....he was 27, she was 18.  They got married in June of 1958, adopted my oldest brother in Jan 1967 (after not being able to get/stay pregnant), had my 2nd oldest brother in Sept 1967 (try explaining THAT one to people), I came along in 1971, then my youngest brother in 1983 (OOPS! :D)  They're still fighting married :)

Written By: karen on 09/21/06 at 7:53 am

:o :o YOU don't remember? :o :o ;)

Bet he knows what date he was told though

Written By: CeeKay on 09/21/06 at 9:25 am

Uh...I think my mom and her friend were somewhere in the city (NYC) and my dad and his friend were on break from the Marines....they all bumped into each other wherever they were and I guess dad asked mom out.  I don't remember the story!

KK -- help me!

Written By: KKay on 09/21/06 at 9:26 am

Uh...I think my mom and her friend were somewhere in the city (NYC) and my dad and his friend were on break from the Marines....they all bumped into each other wherever they were and I guess dad asked mom out.  I don't remember the story!

KK -- help me!

Was it at a dance or something? 
I think I only ever heard the story once.  Something like that.

Written By: CeeKay on 09/21/06 at 9:27 am

(As I tried to write the story of my parents' meeting, I was laughing at the thought that, if I called my mom and then my dad and asked them, it is likely that their stories would be completely different.  That's just how the family is.  :D )

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/21/06 at 3:00 pm

My parents met in the 7th grade and were friends all through middle school and high school.  My mom dated my dad's best friend for years, but they broke up after graduation.  My parents ran into each other at a college hang out when they were both going to the University of Utah, and the rest, of course, is history.  They had been married 42 years when my mom passed away last year.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/06 at 3:03 pm

My parents met in 1968 at my Grandmother's House,dated for a while then married August 3rd 1969

Written By: loki 13 on 09/21/06 at 3:58 pm

Both my parents were born and raised in Camden, NJ. My Mother lived on Front Street,
my Father lived on 2nd Street. My Father was best friends with my Mother's Brother when
they were children. They grew up together and this January they will be celebrating their
48th Anniversary.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 4:00 pm

Okay I asked my mom how they met and she says they met at a party at a singles club in Chicago back in late 1970.  They didn't start dating until 1971, though and they were married in January 1972.

Written By: CeeKay on 09/21/06 at 6:13 pm

Was it at a dance or something? 
I think I only ever heard the story once.  Something like that.

I was close with my original guess.  My mom was in nursing school in Manhattan.  She and her girlfriend used to go to Times Square on the weekends to have coffee and spend $.50 in the arcade (we're talking 1956)....and to check out the military guys in their uniforms.  My dad and his friend came along.  My dad said, "Hi.  I'm from the South....South Staten Island that is."  In those days he looked like James Dean.  They flirted around and then made a date and that was that.  They were married in '57 or '58 and I came along in '59.  I had six calm, serene years and then my sister was born...  ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 6:22 pm

I was close with my original guess.  My mom was in nursing school in Manhattan.  She and her girlfriend used to go to Times Square on the weekends to have coffee and spend $.50 in the arcade (we're talking 1956)....and to check out the military guys in their uniforms.  My dad and his friend came along.  My dad said, "Hi.  I'm from the South....South Staten Island that is."  In those days he looked like James Dean.  They flirted around and then made a date and that was that.  They were married in '57 or '58 and I came along in '59.  I had six calm, serene years and then my sister was born...  ;)

You had 6 years, I had 5 1/2.  ;D

BTW, this isn't negative, but it's interesting how many people here have replied about when their parents married, but they aren't sure of the date/year.  I always thought that's something you just know.....my parents got married January 22, 1972.  Just an interesting observation.....carry on.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/21/06 at 6:34 pm

My parents met through a personals ad service in New York Magazine in summer 1986, when they were both 31. My mother replied to my father's ad in June, but it took him until August to respond, since he was traveling in England with his best friend. They had a "whirlwind romance" and were married in May 1987, after they had already closed on my house. They separated in September 2000 and got divorced in February 2005.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/06 at 6:40 pm

My parents met in High School and eloped when they both were going to USC (they got married in Las Vegas).  Of course they divorced many, many moons ago. My mother met my step-father at a New Year's Eve party at the FDR house in Hyde Park, NY. (Yes, THAT FDR) My mother's best friend worked for the Park Service and dragged her to the party and my step-father's sister-in-law also worked for the Park Service and dragged him along. He proposed 6 days later and they got married that June. Every time we would go to the FDR home or to the Vandabilt mansion (also in Hyde Park), they would say, "Oh, you are the couple who got married" and give us the VIP treatment.  ;D  We got to see parts of the houses that weren't normally open to the public. They remained married until my step-father passed away back in 1992. My father never did re-marry but we was with someone for over 20 years but they have since gone their seperate ways.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/21/06 at 6:58 pm

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 09/21/06 at 7:00 pm

I probably sound even worse, but I even know my parent's wedding song: Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are"

I think my parents said that theirs was "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/21/06 at 7:03 pm

I think my parents said that theirs was "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis.

That's a nice one  :)

Written By: nally on 09/21/06 at 7:03 pm

That's a nice one  :)

thanks...I'll have to ask them again sometime. Their 30th anniversary is a month away. :)

Written By: CeeKay on 09/21/06 at 7:23 pm

[quote author=

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/21/06 at 7:30 pm

My parents met because my mother's friend was dating my father's friend so they got together.  They married on Sept. 20, 1958.  Yesterday would have been their 48th wedding anniversary.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 7:54 pm

I probably sound even worse, but I even know my parent's wedding song: Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are"

My parents got married at City Hall in Chicago, so they didn't have the white wedding in a church thingie, although when they went out to dinner afterwards, they danced to "Blue Velvet" by Bobby Vinton since my mom wore a blue velvet dress to the service/wedding/thingie.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 7:56 pm

Well, you would probably know it if your parents are together and you've been celebrating anniversaries.  But mine divorced over 30 years ago and so....the date faded.  It was october, I know that.

Yeah, my parents are still going strong.  They've been married 34 years now.....they joke it's because no one else will put up with their sh*t.  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/21/06 at 8:11 pm

My parents divorced 5 years ago, but their anniversary was sometime in February I believe.

They were married for 23 years. They met while they were both werking at a Levi Strouse plant/factory(whatever you call it). My mom was married to her first husband at the time, and when she and my dad first started going out she had just gotten pregnant from her first hisband on accident. She didn't know she was pregant until she'd been hanging around with my dad for over a month. She left her first husband and moved in with my dad. So my dad was there from the time my older brother was born, and raised him. He married my mom a few months after my older brother was born.

They got married at the justice of the peace's office, so there wasn't any kind of wedding stuff to speak of.

My mom met her current husband the same way she met my father- by cheating on her former one(also, my father :D). ::) They got married in March of this year.

My dad isn't remarried or in a relationship with anyone. Mostly because he spent most of the last 5 years in prison. Which is weird, because he had got out of prison just a year before he met my mom(he was 28 when they met, and had done 4 years for solicitation of marijuana). Year after he got out of prison he got with her, year after they split up he went back to prison.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/21/06 at 9:14 pm

You had 6 years, I had 5 1/2.  ;D

BTW, this isn't negative, but it's interesting how many people here have replied about when their parents married, but they aren't sure of the date/year.  I always thought that's something you just know.....my parents got married January 22, 1972.  Just an interesting observation.....carry on.  :)
It was always easy to remember both my parents & my grandparents' anniversaries.....my p's were the day before my grandpa's birthday and my gp's was the day before my grandma's birthday (Feb 13, 1939).  BTW, my mom was born almost 9 months to the day that my gp's were married (Nov 17, 1939) :P 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/21/06 at 11:56 pm

My parents met in early 1986, and got married on Feb. 20,1987. I was born later that year ;)

Written By: karen on 09/22/06 at 4:06 am

It was always easy to remember both my parents & my grandparents' anniversaries.....my p's were the day before my grandpa's birthday and my gp's was the day before my grandma's birthday (Feb 13, 1939).

My mum and da were married the day before my mums birthday and I was married the day after my dad's birthday. 

Written By: mandamoo on 09/22/06 at 4:19 am

Like a few here, my parents recently celebrated 48 years. They grew up in the same area :)

Written By: CeeKay on 09/22/06 at 9:03 am

It was always easy to remember both my parents & my grandparents' anniversaries.....my p's were the day before my grandpa's birthday and my gp's was the day before my grandma's birthday (Feb 13, 1939).  BTW, my mom was born almost 9 months to the day that my gp's were married (Nov 17, 1939) :P 

That's way too many dates for me.  I'm lucky I remember my own birthday! (okay, I know the birthdates of my immediate family and few other family members and that's about it).

My kids will not know when their dad and I got married as they were all in elementary school when we got divorced.  But I still remember it so....I'll be able to tell them if they're ever on an internet message board and need to know the story.  ;)

Written By: Gis on 09/22/06 at 11:33 am

My parents met in Germany where my Dad was stationed in the R.A,F. My mum worked at the officers mess on the camp, they had to date in complete secrecy as my mum would have been sacked if they found out she was dating an officer. They got engaged and sure enough my mum got instantly sacked! They then discovered that my brother was on the way so they brought the wedding day forward to november 1964 and are still together now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/22/06 at 12:27 pm

My grandparents met in a much more interesting way than my parents. My grandfather was getting his psychiatric residence c. 1950 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, which my great-uncle (my maternal grandmother's brother) later became the Chief of Medicine at. He had come back from serving in Germany as a WWII medic a few years prior...he was 36 at the time, and had previously been a pediatrician and GP in various functions in Newark, but when he got back from the war, he decided to pursue psychiatry. My grandmother, who was 22, was working on her master's degree in psychology. She was doing research there on twins and their psychology. Basically, she needed a key to a room badly, looked all over the building, and he had the key that she needed. They ran into each other a few more times, and then they went out on a date and got married VERY, VERY quickly in 1951. When my grandmother told her mother that she was getting married, she assumed my grandmother was pregnant, since she had barely mentioned the guy beforehand. My uncle was born in 1952, then they moved out of Washington Heights to Jersey (a shock to my Bronxite grandmother), since my grandfather was from there, and bought a house outside of Newark in South Orange, a leafy suburb. My mom was born in 1955.

I played the song "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen for my grandmother yesterday...it provoked nostalgia for her, since my grandfather (Bernard) told her he had admired her before while watching her start to walk home in her blue raincoat to the Bronx. They were married for 47 years, until my grandfather died of cancer in 1998.

I'm pretty sure my other grandparents met at Columbia Law School.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/06 at 3:08 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/22/06 at 6:56 pm

Does your dad call your mom "dingbat"? ???

;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/22/06 at 7:34 pm

My grandparents met in a much more interesting way than my parents. My grandfather was getting his psychiatric residence c. 1950 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, which my great-uncle (my maternal grandmother's brother) later became the Chief of Medicine at. He had come back from serving in Germany as a WWII medic a few years prior...he was 36 at the time, and had previously been a pediatrician and GP in various functions in Newark, but when he got back from the war, he decided to pursue psychiatry. My grandmother, who was 22, was working on her master's degree in psychology. She was doing research there on twins and their psychology. Basically, she needed a key to a room badly, looked all over the building, and he had the key that she needed. They ran into each other a few more times, and then they went out on a date and got married VERY, VERY quickly in 1951. When my grandmother told her mother that she was getting married, she assumed my grandmother was pregnant, since she had barely mentioned the guy beforehand. My uncle was born in 1952, then they moved out of Washington Heights to Jersey (a shock to my Bronxite grandmother), since my grandfather was from there, and bought a house outside of Newark in South Orange, a leafy suburb. My mom was born in 1955.

I played the song "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen for my grandmother yesterday...it provoked nostalgia for her, since my grandfather (Bernard) told her he had admired her before while watching her start to walk home in her blue raincoat to the Bronx. They were married for 47 years, until my grandfather died of cancer in 1998.

I'm pretty sure my other grandparents met at Columbia Law School.

What a sweet story, James. I really liked this..  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/22/06 at 7:41 pm

What a sweet story, James. I really liked this..  :)

Thank you...

There's more to it, actually. My great-grandmother was worried to death that my grandmother was going to be unmarried forever when she was only 21. I think she was jealous of my grandmother's opportunities to get a higher education, since she got a scholarship to Queens College in psychology, and graduated HS when she was 16 and college when she was 20, etc., to get all her degrees before marriage. So she got her a matchmaker when she was 19 or so, the requisite ancient Yiddish Polish immigrant lady in a shawl with a cane straight out of Fiddler on the Roof, sat her down at the kitchen table with all her female relatives, and analyzed her. The guy she met, she ended up marrying off to her cousin.

Written By: Fred on 09/23/06 at 12:37 am

I don't remember the month but my parents met in 1977 in Ottawa, Ontario at a nightclub. My dad is from all over British Columbia, and was attending University in Ottawa. The story goes as my dad asking my mom's friend to dance, I'm not sure how that turned out, but my parents dated for awhile and got married in 1980. Then in '88 I popped out.  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/23/06 at 12:47 am

My story was so massively f*cked up, and of course people avoided commenting on it like the plague! :D ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 4:20 am

My story was so massively f*cked up, and of course people avoided commenting on it like the plague! :D ;D
8) guess your mom just went with her heart.....PPLE change and no one knows what goes on inside...Dude...your mom just went with the flow..It happens to all of us...All that matters is if she is happy and your dad will find happiness... 8)

Written By: Howard on 09/23/06 at 7:03 am

Does your dad call your mom "dingbat"? ???

;D

No,other names besides "dingbat". ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/06 at 11:10 am

This is the story of one of my mother's cousins. They met the first day of kindergarten and came home and told their parents that they were going to get married. Of course everyone laughed. But neither one of them dated anyone else throughout their youth. They did get married and the marrage ended when one of them passed away (which I believe they were in their 60s or 70s-or older when that happened).

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 09/23/06 at 11:15 am

They both joined the military after high school to help pay for their college (and to get away from their families), and met while they were stationed in Texas together. After about 6 months, they got married.

Funny thing, my mom found out a while ago that if she hadn't been recently married, they were going to re-locate her to Korea right around the time my dad and her were wed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/06 at 11:29 am

They both joined the military after high school to help pay for their college (and to get away from their families), and met while they were stationed in Texas together. After about 6 months, they got married.

Funny thing, my mom found out a while ago that if she hadn't been recently married, they were going to re-locate her to Korea right around the time my dad and her were wed.

That sound almost like the story of how I met my first husband only we knew each other 4 months before getting married.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Gis on 09/23/06 at 3:08 pm

Well I don't know........the story before my parents met was that my Dad got stood up at the alter by his fiancee. She didn't turn up, just sent him a note and he had to go to the church and stand there and tell everyone it was all off. My Mum was with a guy who got her pregnant with my sister and then beat her so bad he nearly killed her, she was in hospital for a long time. But they met each other and helped each other heal so it can happen.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/23/06 at 4:07 pm

My father was sent here to Boston to be shipped out to France during WW2.  While he was here he met my uncle who introduced him to his sister(my mother).  They were married after he came back unscathed(luckily) and were married January 30, 1946.  The were married until he died January 27, 1986, 3 days before their 40th anniversary.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 7:10 pm

This is the story of one of my mother's cousins. They met the first day of kindergarten and came home and told their parents that they were going to get married. Of course everyone laughed. But neither one of them dated anyone else throughout their youth. They did get married and the marrage ended when one of them passed away (which I believe they were in their 60s or 70s-or older when that happened).

Cat
  8) that is the best!!..True, Blue LOVE def... ;D

Written By: spaceace on 10/22/06 at 7:50 pm

My parents met in school. She was in first, he was in fourth.  She was pretty much his bratty tag along.  They seriously started dating when she was 17.  They've been together for 50 years. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...