inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Holistic Health

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/06 at 7:33 pm

Do any of you practice this approach?  Those of you that are familiar with different herbs, are there any that you can recommend for someone to take for stress/nerves?

Subject: Re: Holistic Health

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 7:38 pm

Nope....I like good old-fashioned Western medicine.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/06 at 7:40 pm

[quote author=

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 7:41 pm

I don't follow any of it really. My mother was engaged to someone who was (and still is)
heavily into it, and it drained him of thousands of dollars, and he's still pouring money into it with hardly any results. As one lady said, "You're just paying for expensive urine" and it's true - whatever your body is not absorbing, your kidneys are taking the brunt of it.

I think St. Johns Wart helps with anxiety of some sort, but I'm not 100% sure.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/06 at 7:43 pm

I don't follow any of it really. My mother was engaged to someone who was (and still is)
heavily into it, and it drained him of thousands of dollars, and he's still pouring money into it with hardly any results. As one lady said, "You're just paying for expensive urine" and it's true - whatever your body is not absorbing, your kidneys are taking the brunt of it.

I think St. Johns Wart helps with anxiety of some sort, but I'm not 100% sure.

thanks for the advice, Krissy.  I have heard some stuff about St. John's Wart....maybe I will look into it some more.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 7:45 pm

well one of the reasons that I am questioning about a more natural approach, is that I don't currently have health insurance...so it would be easier (and cheaper) to go to the health store...at least for the time being. Also, I have heard some good things from a few people who have taken a more natural approach...but who knows? :D

I wouldn't get into it... I lived with it for years. You'll pour more money into that when you could really use it towards real help from a doctor, who at that same time, could give you advice as to which holistic practices to use and what not to use.

This doesn't mean things in that arena wouldn't help, but it may be better to get it from a medical doctor than someone who claims to know your body by putting their hands over it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 7:48 pm

thanks for the advice, Krissy.  I have heard some stuff about St. John's Wart....maybe I will look into it some more.

No Problemo.

Written By: Tam on 09/20/06 at 7:55 pm

Hey Erin!

Krissy has a lot of valid points, the main one being that if it isn't being directly absorbed then you are just flushing it down the toilet.

That being said.... I use a lot of natural herbs (and when I need Rx I do take those) ;)
I was on St. John's Wart as a treatment for depression. I was able to take that because my depression wasn't clinical.
It did work! And a side effects are: muscle relaxer and treats menstrual cramps quite well.

For regular stress - the book I have recommends Hops, Passionflower, Valerian or Skullcap. I haven't tried these.

For anxiety it recommends Evening Primrose or Lavender

The only thing you really need to remember is to try and get the herbal remedy in liquid form. Liquid absorbs into the system faster
and you don't lose so much down the drain. ;)

Good luck Girl

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/06 at 7:58 pm

Hey Erin!

Krissy has a lot of valid points, the main one being that if it isn't being directly absorbed then you are just flushing it down the toilet.

That being said.... I use a lot of natural herbs (and when I need Rx I do take those) ;)
I was on St. John's Wart as a treatment for depression. I was able to take that because my depression wasn't clinical.
It did work! And a side effects are: muscle relaxer and treats menstrual cramps quite well.

For regular stress - the book I have recommends Hops, Passionflower, Valerian or Skullcap. I haven't tried these.

The only thing you really need to remember is to try and get the herbal remedy in liquid form. Liquid absorbs into the system faster

Good luck Girl

thanks for the great advice Tam...I'll have to give those a try. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 7:59 pm

Hey Erin!

Good luck Girl

I remember my mom's boyfriend was taking Valerian root for his stress problems. To my knowledge, it was still difficult to say how well it worked.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/06 at 8:45 pm

http://www.quackwatch.org/

If you read nothing else on Quackwatch, please read this:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/quacksell.html

If you're not entirely clear about where to draw the line between science and pseudoscience, and why science works better, read Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark

Written By: Tam on 09/21/06 at 12:12 am

^ You can call it quackery or anything you want. You are entitled to your own opinion. ;)

A ton of the home remedies I know about and use were handed down from My Grandmother - a full blood Indian - (see avatar)
so imho it isn't quackery.

I thank you for your input though! 8)

*edited to add:
this is not a snarky remark - so please don't take it as one.
much obliged

Written By: Davester on 09/21/06 at 12:23 am

http://www.quackwatch.org/

If you read nothing else on Quackwatch, please read this:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/quacksell.html

If you're not entirely clear about where to draw the line between science and pseudoscience, and why science works better, read Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark

I thought this topic might attract you...

And you beat me to the link.  Snake oil...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/21/06 at 12:44 am

There may not be a cure, but if you can get temporary relief through these methods,items,herbs or whatever, then you should. When you speak of dealing with the stress/nerves, or anxiety issues, I can relate from experience as I have had to deal with them myself for many years & had to learn how to deal with them through books, therapy & medication and knowledge of my condition. I've made lifestyle & job changes and that helped immensely. Unless people have experienced severe stress & anxiety, they can't fully understand how crippling these conditions can be. So whatever you are going through or experienceing that brings on these conditions, you need to get your relief from wherever you can with the resources available to you.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/21/06 at 9:09 am

I heard you should take your vitamins at night before you go to sleep. That way your body absorbs it more without flushing it out of your system. Especially vitamin C.

It doesn't hurt to try things. What may work for some , might not work for others. I know a lot of people who have detoxed their bodies with a cleansing diet, and have felt 10 times better then before.

Ask the herbalist at the health store what they would recommend for releasing stress.

Written By: CeeKay on 09/21/06 at 9:16 am

There may not be a cure, but if you can get temporary relief through these methods,items,herbs or whatever, then you should. When you speak of dealing with the stress/nerves, or anxiety issues, I can relate from experience as I have had to deal with them myself for many years & had to learn how to deal with them through books, therapy & medication and knowledge of my condition. I've made lifestyle & job changes and that helped immensely. Unless people have experienced severe stress & anxiety, they can't fully understand how crippling these conditions can be. So whatever you are going through or experienceing that brings on these conditions, you need to get your relief from wherever you can with the resources available to you.

Yeah.  What he said.  :)

As far as the holistic stuff -- just be careful.  I'm curious about it too and am just beginning to snoop around.  There are lots of "quacks" -- but also (imo) legitimate practitioners.  You can probably find a doctor who leans in that direction and one visit is worth the extra $$.  (I don't have insurance either -- sometimes they'll give you a break if you're private pay -- you have to ask though).  I'd just suggest trying one thing at a time becaue you just don't know how you will respond to each element and if you mix them....it's kind of like making yourself a random science experiment.  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...