inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I've had the same ebay account for over 10 years now...

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/26/06 at 2:50 pm

I think I should get a prize or a discount or something

Subject: Re: I've had the same ebay account for over 10 years now...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/06 at 3:00 pm

I think I should get a prize or a discount or something
You should get a discount on any purchase you make.

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/06 at 3:45 pm

I didn't even know ebay's been around that long

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/26/06 at 4:10 pm

I've been a member of Ebay for 7 years now! Although, not the most active, but still!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/26/06 at 4:49 pm

Wow,10 Years That's amazing. :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/06 at 7:40 pm

ya...I've been a member for 8 years now.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/26/06 at 8:15 pm

I've never had an ebay account. Yay me!

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/06 at 8:32 pm

I've had a bunch of ebay accounts, some were cancelled because of the rediculously high sellers fees that I couldn't afford. Then when you add in the paypal fees, I wonder how anybody could ever make money selling on there. I had a Nigeria scammer win my last auction, for all the money you pay to sell on there, ebay has to do something about these Nigeria idiots. I say block the entire country of Nigeria, 99.9% of internet activity out of Nigeria is scam related.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 8:39 pm

I think I've been a member for 3 or 4 years now.  I get a ton of newspapers and magazines from them, stuff that you can't get on the newsstands anymore.  I have a bunch of newspapers and magazines from when Bobby Kennedy was killed. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/26/06 at 9:23 pm

I've had a bunch of ebay accounts, some were cancelled because of the rediculously high sellers fees that I couldn't afford. Then when you add in the paypal fees, I wonder how anybody could ever make money selling on there. I had a Nigeria scammer win my last auction, for all the money you pay to sell on there, ebay has to do something about these Nigeria idiots. I say block the entire country of Nigeria, 99.9% of internet activity out of Nigeria is scam related.

my last auction was for around $100 or so, an old coffee grider I found in the workshop (or basement, I cleaned up so many areas of this place I don't remember anymore)... anyways, in the last two hours of the auction, a 1 feedback user, with private feedback bid on and won the item.  The second highest bidder left a message that he wouldn't bid higher because he was bidding against a low feedback user (I think it was sour grapes really).  I was totally paranoid he wasn't going to be trustworthy.  Tried paying with an ebay account tied to a credit card, which I stated in the auction terms I wouldn't allow (chargeback fraud on the credit card).  I insisted on a bank funds transfer.  I got paid ok and it's been a week since the shipment arrived and I received feedback, so I'm breathing easier now.  There's so many different ways for people to scam sellers, I just don't want to be bothered, even if I'm just selling old crap I was going to throw out anyways.

most of the Nigeran scammers now use US residents to place the bids for them, and those people usually don't even know they too are being scammed.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/06 at 9:30 pm

my last auction was for around $100 or so, an old coffee grider I found in the workshop (or basement, I cleaned up so many areas of this place I don't remember anymore)... anyways, in the last two hours of the auction, a 1 feedback user, with private feedback bid on and won the item.  The second highest bidder left a message that he wouldn't bid higher because he was bidding against a low feedback user (I think it was sour grapes really).  I was totally paranoid he wasn't going to be trustworthy.  Tried paying with an ebay account tied to a credit card, which I stated in the auction terms I wouldn't allow (chargeback fraud on the credit card).  I insisted on a bank funds transfer.  I got paid ok and it's been a week since the shipment arrived and I received feedback, so I'm breathing easier now.  There's so many different ways for people to scam sellers, I just don't want to be bothered, even if I'm just selling old crap I was going to throw out anyways.

most of the Nigeran scammers now use US residents to place the bids for them, and those people usually don't even know they too are being scammed.

Yeah the guy that won my auction had some New York address and a UK email address, I knew once I saw that, that this guy was a scammer. He also registered the same day the auction ended. I relist the auction, this time with the highest buyer requirements I could put (paypal required, no negative feedback, no non paying bidder in the last 30 days, etc), I also said I'd cancel all zero feedback bids, still the person who wins the next one (bid in the last seconds of the auction and I couldn't cancel it fast enough), same thing zero feedback user, NY address, registered the same day of auction. I just ignored them and sold to the next closest bid, who thankfully was a great guy who paid right away and picked it up locally.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/06 at 5:46 pm

I've had the same e-mail account for 7 years

Written By: rich1981 on 09/27/06 at 9:16 pm

Ebay was founded September 4, 1995 so that would mean Chucky was among its first users. I had an old ebay account, about 6 years old, but I gave it to my brother shortly after. The current one I use is only 2 years old.

Written By: Gis on 09/28/06 at 2:54 am

See, there's Chucky at the forefront of technology as ever.
I've had my account since 2002.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/28/06 at 7:31 am

Ebay was founded September 4, 1995 so that would mean Chucky was among its first users. I had an old ebay account, about 6 years old, but I gave it to my brother shortly after. The current one I use is only 2 years old.

according to my id history:

*****@worcestermass.com Jun-21-96 Jul-15-98

however.... if I remember correctly, when they started, they didn't have a feedback system, so I'm not sure if I even had to register for the first few things I tried to buy.

incidently, my first website (ChuckyG's 80s page) was online June 1995, so it's even older than ebay.  too bad it's not worth what ebay is now!

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/28/06 at 12:06 pm

I always forgot to pay the sellers' fees I'm hit with, and hence ebay suspends my account. The strange bit is I've never actually sold anything off ebay - advertised several times, but never actually sold anything.

Check for new replies or respond here...