inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dream Line Up

Written By: La Roche on 09/30/06 at 4:56 pm

So I had a great idea.

I was watching that thing in Crossroads where Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are playing off against each other and a thought hit me. What if I (with millions of dollars and the ability to change time and space) could create my ideal musical line up, a group of musicians who I thought could create the greatest song of all time.

So, here is the line up I thought of.

First of all.. Ladies and Gentlemen on the piano, the indomitable Ray Charles!
On lead guitar, hailing from the lone star state of Texas and coming to you all tonight from beyond the grave, a true shred pioneer, 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott!
Sharing the lead spot, the fret-wanking master Eddie Van Halen!
On rhythm guitar and backing vocals everybody's favorite heroin addict, Dave Mustaine.
The drum spot was tough to fill as there were so many worthy candidates.. and in this case, it's impossible to pick just one. The set will be split between John Bonham and Dave Lombardo.
Plucking on the bass is Donald 'Duck' Dunn of the MG's.
A true legend playing Sax tonight, the influential Charlie Parker.
Finally, singing tonight will be Don Henley.

Maybe I should do a 'still-active supergroup' as well, but for now, this one works for me.  ;)

Subject: Re: Dream Line Up

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 5:06 pm

Lead Vocals : Robert Plant
Guitar 1: Jimmy Page
Guitar 2 : Eric Clapton
Bass: John Deacon
Drums: Lars Ulrich
Keyboards/piano/synth: John Paul Jones

I went with only living people for this band, otherwise substitute Entwhistle for Deacon and Bonham for Ulrich.

Written By: La Roche on 09/30/06 at 5:07 pm

[quote author=

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/06 at 5:10 pm

Just as long as Carlos Santana is there.

Edited to add, yeah, I have a thing for Latinos name Carlos.  ;)

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 5:24 pm

Male Voice - Ray Lyell
Female Voice - Alannah Myles

Two great voices of late 80s rock into the 90s

The rest could all be session musicians

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 8:11 pm

I thought about doing another kind of band, one more about jazz/blues than rock or metal.

Drums: Gene Krupa
Piano: Ray Charles
Guitar: Django Reinhardt
Bass: Wayman Tisdale
Clarinet: Benny Goodman
Trumpet: Louis Armstrong
Saxophone: Candy Dulfer
Male Vocalist: Luther Vandross
Female Vocalist: Ella Fitzgerald

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/30/06 at 8:51 pm

I was thinking about this the other day!

Guitar: Frank Zappa. His composition skills and guitar ability in several fields of music would prove handy.
Bass: Jim Creegan, from Barenaked Ladies. He's really good with jazzy stuff.
Drums: Steven Drozd from The Flaming Lips. He can be really amazing with the drums, as hard as it is to tell from their average song.
Trumpet: Miles Davis, possibly... I don't know of too many trumpetists!
Saxophone: John Linnell is perfectly capable, and he'll double as a vocalist (This is half of They Might Be Giants).
Piano/keyboards would probably be ... Ugh.. I can't do this right now.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/30/06 at 9:03 pm

My list, and the reason I chose this group, 1st and 2nd choice, is because they are all
versatile enough to play any style of music.

Keyboards..Keith Emerson    2nd choice...Jurgen Fritz
Guitar..Al Di Meola              2nd choice...Steve Howe
Bass..Stanley Clarke            2nd choice...Jaco Pastori
Drums...Carl Palmer            2nd choice...Steve Gadd
Vocalist...Amy Lee              2nd choice...Annie Haslam

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 9:06 pm

Vocalist...Amy Lee 

Ah, love for Ms. Lee.  She has a phenomenal voice....I didn't know you listened to Evanescence.  She has one of those voices that can carry different genres of music, much like Christina Aguilera.  On their new album, she's doing ballads, goth rock, pop......it's amazing how versatile her voice is.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/30/06 at 9:20 pm

Ah, love for Ms. Lee.  She has a phenomenal voice....I didn't know you listened to Evanescence.  She has one of those voices that can carry different genres of music, much like Christina Aguilera.  On their new album, she's doing ballads, goth rock, pop......it's amazing how versatile her voice is.

I love Evanescence, which drives my son nuts because he thinks I'm infringing on his music.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 9:46 pm

I love Evanescence, which drives my son nuts because he thinks I'm infringing on his music.  ;D

Amy Lee.....she's beautiful and talented....I love her! :-*

Written By: Apricot on 09/30/06 at 10:25 pm

Vocalist: A few people will be sharing this... Genesis P. O'Ridge of Throbbing Gristle (I just love his accent), Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields (good emotional voice), and Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (Love the voice).. they will take turns.

Backing Vocals: Ellen Reid of Crash Test Dummies (she does the backing vocals for this band too.. she has a good backing voice)

Lead Guitar: Buckethead (I don't like his music, but he's an AMAZING guitarist)

Backing Guitar: Carlton Megalodon of Deadsy (Yeah, it's synth guitar, same damn thing)

Keyboards: Trent Reznor of Nine-Inch Nails (He knows his way around a musical staff, he's got good theory and head-knowledge of music, so he can really do anything).. and maybe sometimes Ben Folds will show up and do something.

Percussion: Chris Pennie of The Dillinger Escape Plan (I don't listen to much really percussion-heavy music, but he knows what he's doing)

All Other Instruments: Arrington de Dionyso of Old Time Relijun. (Cause he can apparently play them all semi-competently)

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/30/06 at 11:12 pm

I was thinking about this the other day!

Guitar: Frank Zappa. His composition skills and guitar ability in several fields of music would prove handy.
Bass: Jim Creegan, from Barenaked Ladies. He's really good with jazzy stuff.
Drums: Steven Drozd from The Flaming Lips. He can be really amazing with the drums, as hard as it is to tell from their average song.
Trumpet: Miles Davis, possibly... I don't know of too many trumpetists!
Saxophone: John Linnell is perfectly capable, and he'll double as a vocalist (This is half of They Might Be Giants).
Piano/keyboards would probably be ... Ugh.. I can't do this right now.

Ho! Ben Folds will do keyboards/piano! Thanks for reminding me, Andrew.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/30/06 at 11:16 pm

Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo has a nice voice, I think. And so does Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies.

Written By: Apricot on 09/30/06 at 11:56 pm

Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo has a nice voice, I think. And so does Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies.

I like Elfman's voice on "Insanity" a lot.. I don't like Page's voice too much.. it's tolerable, but I wouldn't want it as a prominent vocal on a lot of songs.

Written By: Apricot on 10/01/06 at 12:32 am

The Soft Bulletin album was a good album to see that.. "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" and "Spiderbite Song" both had very good drum parts.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/05/06 at 3:06 am

on drums I'd have John Densmore - The Doors
1st guitarist would be  Leslie West - Mountain
2nd guitarist is Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
on bass I'd have Roger Glover - Deep Purple
for vocals, I'd like Steve Perry - Journey
and for a bit of an edge I'd include Axl Rose -Guns N Roses

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 7:29 am

and for a bit of an edge I'd include Axl Rose -Guns N Roses

Yeah, he would be my second choice behind Don.

Check for new replies or respond here...