inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone *like* writing reviews of CDs?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/04/06 at 8:45 pm

I'm constantly getting offers of free cds for review for inthe80s, I'm on at least two (if not ten) mailing lists from record labels.  Ten years ago I'd jump up and down for joy at the prospect of getting free cds in exchange for writing reviews.  Now, no such desire, I'm too busy with a job and a family life to do much more than just work on the sites themselves. Not to mention I have almost zero room in my house for more CDs, I already packed a thousand or so into my closets once I ripped them to my portable drives (at least now there's a chance I listen to some of them).

If someone wanted to write up decent reviews in exchange for promo discs, I'd be willing to talk.  It would help if I knew you could write good reviews of course (ie. example of writing).  I don't know if free cds are enough motivation for people or not but I know what the ad revenue on inthe80s is like, so I'm sure I wouldn't make much if anything from it. 

If you're in college though, it might be a fun way to have something you write get seen by more people (or a high profile link back to your own blog or something).  I'm not looking to even own the review per say, just the right to display it for as long as the website exists (you're free to do whatever else you want with it, host it on your own site, etc).

Subject: Re: Does anyone *like* writing reviews of CDs?

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/04/06 at 8:49 pm

I'd love to do it, but alas, I don't think I have the responsibility to review regularly.

Written By: Apricot on 10/04/06 at 9:01 pm

I LOVE it, but I don't have the ability to be impartial.. like, I couldn't control my scathingness if I were handed, say, a Panic at the Disco album. I'm too biased.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/04/06 at 9:05 pm

I LOVE it, but I don't have the ability to be impartial.. like, I couldn't control my scathingness if I were handed, say, a Panic at the Disco album. I'm too biased.

Same here... However, I suppose you are allowed to hate a band and still write about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...