inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: LimeWire song titles

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/06 at 3:48 pm

Have you ever noticed on LimeWire, KaZaA, and other similar P2P programs where you download mp3s that often people misspell songs or put wrong artists with wrong songs?  What are some you've seen?  Here's a few I see all too often ...

I Believe in Miracles - Hot Chocolate
actual title - You Sexy Thing

You Spin Me Right Round Baby - Dead or Alive
actual title - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)

Discovery Channel - Bloodhound Gang
actual title - The Bad Touch

Jitterbug - Wham!
actual title - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

Everytime I See You Falling - New Order
actual title - Bizarre Love Triangle

Move Out - Yaz
actual title - Situation

Subject: Re: LimeWire song titles

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/06 at 6:18 pm

People do that all the time.. usually, it's just a minor thing like not knowing the actual song title and having to guess.. or sometimes I think they do that because they know people will sometimes search a song lyric and hope to get the song (like my mom does).. as a result, you sometimes see things like "You had a bad day" instead of "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter or "Hate Me Today" instead of "Hate Me" by Blue October or something.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/10/06 at 6:42 pm

one that i just downloaded was

I can't fight this feeling-  they had it listed as sung by chicago or journey

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/06 at 6:53 pm

The song "Detachable Penis" is attributed to at least 20 bands other then King Missile, the ones who actually did it.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/06 at 7:03 pm

I've seen that one also.  Plus, usually when I see that title, it's listed as "I Can't Fight This Feeling".  There is no I in the title lol

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/10/06 at 8:38 pm

I usually see stuff mislabeled in terms of artists, like:

Obsession - Human League (Animotion is the artist)

Send Me An Angel - Dead Or Alive (Real Life)

Rock Me Amadeus - Bloodhound Gang (Falco)

And I can't tell any difference between the Razormaid Mix of Marc Almond's "Tears Run Rings" and the Justin Strauss 12" Mix.  :P

Written By: rich1981 on 10/10/06 at 9:33 pm

Ramones - Hey! Ho!, Let's Go! (should be Blitzkrieg Bop)

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/06 at 9:39 pm

Ramones - Hey! Ho!, Let's Go! (should be Blitzkrieg Bop)

I just found out the proper name of that song a few weeks ago, actually. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/06 at 12:23 am

Just noticed another one:  The Knack - What I Like About You

which means The Romantics sing My Sharona?  ???

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/17/06 at 12:58 am

Just noticed another one:  The Knack - What I Like About You

which means The Romantics sing My Sharona?  ???
I've seen a string of artists who supposedly sing "What I Like About You", including The Ramones.  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/18/06 at 9:53 pm

Marvin Gaye - Me and Mrs. Jones

This was actually done by Billy Paul.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/06 at 9:55 pm

LimeWire's awesome, if you like spyware!
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/18/06 at 9:57 pm

If you're smart and have spyware protection on your computer, it's no longer an issue.  I've never gotten spyware from Limewire anyway.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/18/06 at 10:05 pm

Limewire has many faults but the program does not install any spyware by itself.

Written By: Davester on 10/19/06 at 3:56 am

Yeah, I've noticed that.  Seems some users, unsure of the title of a song, will simply use part of a verse for the title...which will actually help me find hard-to-locate tunes...

More often, though, it's the right song and the wrong artist...or the right artist and the wrong song, or something...

One that comes to mind is Free Ride ~ Doobie Brothers.  Of course Free Ride is from the Edgar Winter Group...

groove ;) on...

Written By: Davester on 10/19/06 at 3:58 am

You must be thinking of the old Kazaa and Morpheus.  I dumped those in favor of WinMX...

Ah, I miss you, WinMX... :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 4:00 am

You must be thinking of the old Kazaa and Morpheus.  I dumped those in favor of WinMX...

Now that I use Limewire, I can't believe I used WinMX.  The selection on Limewire is so much better.

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/19/06 at 10:15 pm

Now that I use Limewire, I can't believe I used WinMX.  The selection on Limewire is so much better.

Subjective.  I found some great hard-to-find tracks/mixes on WinMX that I've yet to find on LimeWire.  That's not to say I haven't found my fair share of great choons on LW.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/06 at 11:49 pm

I've never even been to LimeWire.  I base my assertion about spyware on what other people told me.  Before I wised up about about spyware I had a lot of trouble with it.  I keep my spyware/virus protection up-to-date the best I can.  But I still eschew peer-to-peer and suspcious websites.  Paranoid.  Maybe I'll hit the worst spyware in the world!  It can cut through  Adaware like butter!  It'll give YOU Asian bird flu!  Run for your life!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 11:49 pm

It'll give YOU Asisan bird flu!  Run for your life!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Oh please.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/06 at 11:55 pm

What happened to WinMX, then?  Never used it myself.

Written By: Davester on 10/20/06 at 5:49 am

What happened to WinMX, then?  Never used it myself.

WinMX (version 2.6) was, IMHO, the best thing since the original Napster (and even looked like it, too, lay out, graphics and all...).  I'd been using it since Napster went belly-up.  Now Limewire is the best...I'm wishy-washy like that...

Oh...maybe around a year-and-a-half ago WinMX became absolutely saturated with bogus files; hundreds, nay, thousands of them!  Practically any song you searched for.  Perfect, high quality files.  All juicy 320s!  You clicky to download, nothing happens.  Clicky on another...nothing happens.  Bogus files.  I suspect record labels/RIAA were the perpetrators of that particular brand of tomfoolery.  At that point, I uninstalled WinMX.  A short while later I read that the servers were shutting down, and that WinMX was going bye-bye...

groove ;) on...

Written By: mandamoo on 10/20/06 at 6:02 am

I haven't necessarily found this on LimeWire, but a common one that makes me laugh is Don McLeans' "Vincent" being mistakingly called "Starry, Starry Night"  :o ??? ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/20/06 at 7:24 am

Yes.  Three Dog Night's "Joy To The World" is frequently referred to as "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog"  ::) ::) ::)

It's not like the title of the song isn't repeated about 20 times during the song  ;D :P :P :P ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/20/06 at 7:27 am

WinMX (version 2.6) was, IMHO, the best thing since the original Napster (and even looked like it, too, lay out, graphics and all...).  I'd been using it since Napster went belly-up.  Now Limewire is the best...I'm wishy-washy like that...

Oh...maybe around a year-and-a-half ago WinMX became absolutely saturated with bogus files; hundreds, nay, thousands of them!  Practically any song you searched for.  Perfect, high quality files.  All juicy 320s!  You clicky to download, nothing happens.  Clicky on another...nothing happens.  Bogus files.  I suspect record labels/RIAA were the perpetrators of that particular brand of tomfoolery.  At that point, I uninstalled WinMX.  A short while later I read that the servers were shutting down, and that WinMX was going bye-bye...

groove ;) on...

Limewire's getting like that too. The RIAA hires companies to bloat the networks with bogus files.

Written By: Apricot on 10/20/06 at 12:11 pm

Limewire's getting like that too. The RIAA hires companies to bloat the networks with bogus files.

Same on BearShare.. but they're easy to identify.. just don't download any wmas or uber-small files.. the only thing is if you try to download any grindcore, like Seth Putnam's work or Napalm Death or something.. it's hard.

I've found certain Byte Numbers to avoid, too.. but I don't have them memorized.. they tend to come in huge packs.

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/06 at 12:40 pm

If you are looking to download hit songs, the trick is to notice which album it appears on.  Ones listed under compilation CDs (ie: Billboard Top Hits, Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. XX, etc ...) are easier to download than ones listed under the actual albums by the artists

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/20/06 at 1:59 pm

Limewire has many faults but the program does not install any spyware by itself.

I think it doesn't run very well on a computer like my own, which is ran on 256 RAM. It really slows it down, yet when I go onto my mom's PC (which used to be mine) which has 512 RAM, it runs like a baby!  ;D So, I download stuff off of hers and then put them on a removable drive and take em to my house - works nice and smooth  :) ;)

Written By: Paul on 10/20/06 at 2:03 pm

It did actually get resurrected not so long ago...try searching for version 3.5x...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/20/06 at 3:10 pm

It did actually get resurrected not so long ago...try searching for version 3.5x...

I liked WinMX because it never clogged my system to use it. Limewire, for some reason, always clogs up my system on my PC, but as I said with my mom's PC (as it's faster than mine) can handle it better. I will definetly check out the *new* WinMX. *I'm literally jumping out of my seat thinking of what I can find if it really has been resurrected!*

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/20/06 at 3:13 pm

I liked WinMX because it never clogged my system to use it. Limewire, for some reason, always clogs up my system on my PC...

Limewire does that to mine, even when I haven't opened the program...

It just seems to go in there and start itself up!  :P

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/06 at 3:19 pm

I have that same thing.  Here is your solution ...

There is a worm called "Alcra" that has been circulating among Windows systems. It spreads by launching LimeWire so that other users on the network can download infected files on to their computers and continue to spread the worm to yet other computers. Please upgrade your virus definitions so that it can be detected and removed from your computer. Due to the speed at which new strains are released, your anti-virus software may not be able to detect it. In that case, you would either have to remove the worm manually or submit it to the manufacturer of your anti-virus software so that new virus definitions can be created.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/20/06 at 3:27 pm

I have that same thing.  Here is your solution ...

There is a worm called "Alcra" that has been circulating among Windows systems. It spreads by launching LimeWire so that other users on the network can download infected files on to their computers and continue to spread the worm to yet other computers. Please upgrade your virus definitions so that it can be detected and removed from your computer. Due to the speed at which new strains are released, your anti-virus software may not be able to detect it. In that case, you would either have to remove the worm manually or submit it to the manufacturer of your anti-virus software so that new virus definitions can be created.

Thanks, Jason.  I'll look into that.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 4:17 pm

Actually, you can set Limewire to automatically start up when you turn your computer on.  Before saying she has some virus on her computer, she should check to see if that's one of the settings she has checked.  Whenever I reboot my laptop, Limewire starts up because I had it checked.

Written By: Davester on 10/20/06 at 5:00 pm

Yup!  What Sister Morphine said...

Open Limewire:  Tools - Options - Advanced - System Startup - uncheck "Run On System Startup" box...

Also, if you'd rather connect to the network manually after opening Limewire: Tools - Options - Connections - uncheck "Connect On Startup" box...

groove ;) on...

Edited: Typo...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/20/06 at 5:04 pm

Yup!  What Sister Morphine said...

Open Limewire:  Tools - Options - Advanced - System Startup - uncheck "Run On System Startup" box...

Did that just now...

Thanks, Davester and Sister Morphine!  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 5:05 pm

Did that just now...

Thanks, Davester and Sister Morphine!  :)

No problem, Karen.  :)

Written By: Schillingfan on 10/20/06 at 11:45 pm

Earth Below Us Drifting Falling should be Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling

Ich Bin Der Hass is actually Codo by German 80's group D

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/06 at 11:49 pm

Actually, you can set Limewire to automatically start up when you turn your computer on.  Before saying she has some virus on her computer, she should check to see if that's one of the settings she has checked.  Whenever I reboot my laptop, Limewire starts up because I had it checked.

The way she described it, I assumed she had the worm virus that leaked through LimeWire.  My mistake  :-[

Written By: Brian06 on 10/21/06 at 12:31 am

I think it doesn't run very well on a computer like my own, which is ran on 256 RAM. It really slows it down, yet when I go onto my mom's PC (which used to be mine) which has 512 RAM, it runs like a baby!  ;D So, I download stuff off of hers and then put them on a removable drive and take em to my house - works nice and smooth  :) ;)

Yeah Limewire uses a ton of RAM. It is not a fast running program on any computer really, mainly because it is a Java program (Java is slow and clunky).

Check for new replies or respond here...