inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ways to confuse trick ot treaters

Written By: whitewolf on 10/17/06 at 7:02 pm

thought of this by Cats post on the are you going to dress up for hallween thread

Ways to confuse Trick-Or-Treaters

Give away something other than candy. (Toothpicks, golf balls, pencils, etc.)

Wait behind the door until some people come. When they get near the door, jump out, wearing a costume, and holding a bag, and yell, "Trick or Treat!" Look at them, scratch your head, and act confused.

Fill a briefcase with marbles and crackers. Write on it, "Top Secret" in big letters. When trick-or-treaters come, look around suspiciously, say, "It's about time you got here," give them the briefcase, and quickly shut the door.

After you give them candy, hand the trick-or-treaters a bill.

Open the door dressed as a giant fish. Immediately collapse, and don't move or say anything until the trick-or-treaters go away.

When you answer the door, look at the trick-or-treaters, act shocked and scared, and start screaming your head off. Slam the door and runaround the house.

Insist that the trick-or-treaters each do ten push-ups before you give them any candy.

Hand out menus to the trick-or-treaters and let them order their candy.

Answer the door dressed as a pilgrim. Stare at the trick-or-treaters for a moment, pretend to be confused, and start flipping through a calendar.

Instead of candy, give away colored eggs. If anyone protests, explain that the eggs are the only thing you had left over from Easter.

Answer the door dressed as a dentist. Angrily give the trick-or-treaters a two-hour lecture on tooth decay.

Put a crown on a pumpkin and put the pumpkin on a throne on your porch. Insist that all of the trick-or-treaters bow before the pumpkin.

Subject: Re: ways to confuse trick ot treaters

Written By: spaceace on 10/17/06 at 7:28 pm

I'm taking notes!!!!  Happy Halloween!!! :)

Written By: Apricot on 10/17/06 at 7:37 pm

Oh My God.. that's.. that's beautiful. I loved that list.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/18/06 at 6:09 am

dress up as santa and give out the treat bags gift wrapped :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 10:04 am

LOL!  I love it!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/06 at 10:27 am

How about giving the trick or treaters fresh fruit?

Written By: karen on 10/18/06 at 10:45 am

Insist that the trick-or-treaters each do ten push-ups before you give them any candy.

Trick or treating is quite a recent thing in the UK so I'm not sure we've quite grasped it all yet.  I remember reading years ago that you would pay someone before you got the treat by telling a joke or singing a song or something.  Is that what is supposed to happen?

Also what would you do if you called at a house and they didn't give you a treat?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 11:22 am

Trick or treating is quite a recent thing in the UK so I'm not sure we've quite grasped it all yet.  I remember reading years ago that you would pay someone before you got the treat by telling a joke or singing a song or something.  Is that what is supposed to happen?

Also what would you do if you called at a house and they didn't give you a treat?

When I was a kid, some houses asked us to sing or something similar to that, but most of them just gave us candy.  I don't mind giving candy to the kids at all, especially since I got it as a kid.  It's like the circle of life.  I'm glad you guys are adopting it - it is one of my favorite childhood memories! 

As for houses that don't give you a treat, tradition says you are to play a trick on them - hence the phrase "Trick or Treat."  I never played tricks though, I just went on to the next house.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/18/06 at 12:43 pm

around here nobody expects the trick or treaters to do anything for their treat, they just give out the treat. any house that is not giving out anything usually leaves their outdoor lights off so that the kids know that there is nothing for them there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 1:03 pm

around here nobody expects the trick or treaters to do anything for their treat, they just give out the treat. any house that is not giving out anything usually leaves their outdoor lights off so that the kids know that there is nothing for them there.

When I run out of candy, I turn off the porch light and sure enough, there are still who come knocking even though the light is out.  >:(

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 10/18/06 at 1:07 pm

Ways to confuse them?

Coat stuff in Acid.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 10/18/06 at 1:46 pm

My Mom freaks Tricker Treaters out by asking if they're willing to make a trade.  (Usually she aims for chocolate!!) ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 1:54 pm

Ways to confuse them?

Coat stuff in Acid.  ;D

Something tells me that happened to you frequently as a young trick or treater.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/18/06 at 2:03 pm

Something tells me that happened to you frequently as a young trick or treater.  ;D

Didn't really ever go trick or treating. It kinda started up when I'd got a bit too old.

There was some bastard putting razor blades in apples round here though.. even I don't condone that.

Written By: Paul on 10/18/06 at 3:09 pm

In this day and age, I wouldn't put it past some of the little darlings to let down the tyres on your car or lob a few lighted fireworks at your front window...

When ToTs are in the neighbourhood, I turn most of the lights off in the house, put my headphones on and hide... :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/18/06 at 3:11 pm

When ToTs are in the neighbourhood, I turn most of the lights off in the house, put my headphones on and hide... :P

Party-pooper!  ::) ;)

Written By: Paul on 10/18/06 at 3:31 pm

Party-pooper!  ::) ;)

Touche!  ;)

And you should see what I do to carol singers!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/18/06 at 3:38 pm

And you should see what I do to carol singers!  :D

Oh...BAH-HUMBUG!  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/18/06 at 4:34 pm

We're not passing candy out this year.  It's the end of the month, so my mom will be at the office late so she can't do it, my sister can't be bothered and frankly....neither can I.  Screw 'em.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/18/06 at 7:53 pm

We're not passing candy out this year.  It's the end of the month, so my mom will be at the office late so she can't do it, my sister can't be bothered and frankly....neither can I.  Screw 'em.

Where will you be?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/18/06 at 7:53 pm

Where will you be?

At home.

Written By: karen on 10/19/06 at 9:26 am

In this day and age, I wouldn't put it past some of the little darlings to let down the tyres on your car or lob a few lighted fireworks at your front window...

That's why I was asking.  I read the other day that some shops are going to stop selling eggs and flour to young people until after halloween

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/19/06 at 2:02 pm

At home.

So, there's no candy for you to pass out?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/19/06 at 2:20 pm

She just doesn't want to.

Written By: La Roche on 10/19/06 at 2:53 pm

I will of course be heavily armed come Halloween night. Blast the little bastards in to next week..

"Trick or tr.."
'Keep walkin' Casper'

Written By: KKay on 10/19/06 at 2:54 pm

hand out little bags of salad

Written By: La Roche on 10/19/06 at 2:57 pm

hand out little bags of salad

Noo!!

Kay, tonight, when you get home, take Bode down to the beach, and pick up some of those little jellyfish and hand them out.  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/19/06 at 3:05 pm

She just doesn't want to.

Ok...  ::) Excuuzzzzzeee me...  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/19/06 at 3:11 pm

No, too late. Back in your crate.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/19/06 at 3:23 pm

No, too late. Back in your crate.

;D  I'll leave probing questions to Howard

Written By: Step-chan on 10/19/06 at 3:23 pm

Give them Ex-Lax(that's too cruel).

Written By: La Roche on 10/19/06 at 3:28 pm

Wrap up little cat turds in candy wrappers.

Written By: Jessica on 10/19/06 at 4:48 pm

Hand out religious tracts and preach to them about going to Hell for participating in a Pagan holiday.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/19/06 at 4:51 pm

You win.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 5:10 pm

We're not buying any.  I don't want to do it and my sister doesn't want to do it.  So they can skip our house this year and leave us alone.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/19/06 at 7:16 pm

I'll bet you're a really fun person to be around, Beth. =P

But anyway, for some reason, I can especially imagine Andrew (Tubeway General) doing all of those.

Written By: Apricot on 10/19/06 at 7:39 pm

But anyway, for some reason, I can especially imagine Andrew (Tubeway General) doing all of those.

I probably would.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 9:19 pm

I'll bet you're a really fun person to be around, Beth. =P

Everytime our doorbell rings, our dog goes ballistic.  We don't want to hear him barking all night.  Sitting in a chair near the front door praying no one rings the doorbell so I can pass out candy when I could be upstairs doing anything else does not sound like fun.  Sorry.

Subject: Re: ways to confuse trick or treaters

Written By: nally on 10/19/06 at 9:21 pm

Everytime our doorbell rings, our dog goes ballistic.

Ours does too. She always starts barking when someone approaches the door.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 9:24 pm

Ours does too. She always starts barking when someone approaches the door.

He'll bark if someone walks by the curb, they don't even have to come to the front door.  With my dad in Charlotte now, he's super-protective of us, more so than usual.  Last year we got complaints from the neighbors because of our dog barking all night everytime someone came to the door.  And I refuse to chain him up in the backyard just so we can pass out candy.  The dog stays in the house with the rest of the family.

Written By: nally on 10/19/06 at 9:27 pm

He'll bark if someone walks by the curb, they don't even have to come to the front door.

Ours too. Even if someone walks by on the sidewalk. Dogs sense those things. In fact, they sense everything.

With my dad in Charlotte now, he's super-protective of us, more so than usual.  Last year we got complaints from the neighbors because of our dog barking all night everytime someone came to the door.  And I refuse to chain him up in the backyard just so we can pass out candy.  The dog stays in the house with the rest of the family.

Absolutely. I don't understand why so many people who own dogs don't seem to give a damn. They put the dog in the backyard and forget about it. And then the dog starts barking loudly (so the whole neighborhood can hear it) because it wants attention.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 9:29 pm

Absolutely. I don't understand why so many people who own dogs don't seem to give a damn. They put the dog in the backyard and forget about it. And then the dog starts barking loudly (so the whole neighborhood can hear it) because it wants attention.

Our pets are members of the family.  They eat in the house, they sleep in the house.  The only time our dog has eaten outside was when my dad was painting the kitchen and we gave him his dinner outside.  We take him outside plenty to run around and play and get some wind in his fur, but then he goes back in the house. 

Written By: nally on 10/19/06 at 9:31 pm

Our pets are members of the family.  They eat in the house, they sleep in the house.  The only time our dog has eaten outside was when my dad was painting the kitchen and we gave him his dinner outside.  We take him outside plenty to run around and play and get some wind in his fur, but then he goes back in the house. 

We take our dog outside usually when she needs to do business. When she has to go, then we let her out into the back. Sometimes she likes to come out while we're mowing the lawn or doing other yardwork. Most of the time she's indoors, though. By the way, what kind of dog do you have? Mine's a chihuahua.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 9:34 pm

By the way, what kind of dog do you have?

English Springer Spaniel.

http://www.dog.com/breed/docgrafx/engsprsp.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/19/06 at 10:11 pm

I live out in the boonies, so there will be no trick-or-treaters.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/20/06 at 10:41 am

Didn't mean any offense there - I just knew that SM wasn't around to answer, so I thought I'd help out.  Sorry if it came out the wrong way... :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/06 at 12:38 pm

We're not buying any.  I don't want to do it and my sister doesn't want to do it.  So they can skip our house this year and leave us alone.

I'm militant towards them.

'FU.CK OFF YOU LITTLE BASTARDS, I'LL GUT YOU, YOU LITTLE SHI.T BAGS!'

They're all fearful.

Written By: Marian on 10/20/06 at 1:16 pm

I'm militant towards them.

'FU.CK OFF YOU LITTLE BASTARDS, I'LL GUT YOU, YOU LITTLE SHI.T BAGS!'

They're all fearful.
Careful---some of the "older' trick or treaters are actually parent chaperones!

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/06 at 1:22 pm

Careful---some of the "older' trick or treaters are actually parent chaperones!

Then I can shoot them for invading my property. Jerks.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/20/06 at 1:53 pm

There's always alternative ways  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 10/20/06 at 2:01 pm

Then I can shoot them for invading my property. Jerks.

You must be a very interesting and lively person to be around.

Written By: Paul on 10/20/06 at 2:10 pm

You must be a very interesting and lively person to be around.

I don't think I'd want to hang 'around' long enough to find out... :o

Written By: Step-chan on 10/20/06 at 2:14 pm

I don't think I'd want to hang 'around' long enough to find out... :o

My catgirl fetish and posting of said catgirls make him homicidal towards me. :D

Written By: Paul on 10/20/06 at 2:41 pm

My catgirl fetish and posting of said catgirls make him homicidal towards me. :D

Nah...I think he's getting turned-on... :D

It does tend to bring out his violent side...

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/06 at 3:24 pm

Nah...I think he's getting turned-on... :D

It does tend to bring out his violent side...

Can't stop the violence, I love it, no-one's immune to the hate that flows from it, infectious, I feed on it, every single day!

Sorry, but.. weird.. cat things, don't really do it for me.. a goat maybe.. maybe.

Written By: Paul on 10/20/06 at 3:46 pm

Sorry, but.. weird.. cat things, don't really do it for me.. a goat maybe.. maybe.

Really!

Show him a cloven hoof and he's anybody's!

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/06 at 3:47 pm

Really!

Show him a cloven hoof and he's anybody's!

Girly goats.. I ain't no weirdo!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/06 at 3:56 pm

Can't stop the violence, I love it, no-one's immune to the hate that flows from it, infectious, I feed on it, every single day!

I hope that doesn't include me.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 4:12 pm

There's always alternative ways  ;D

If you read my responses on the previous page, you'll see that my family has a good reason for not doing it this year, moreso than just lack of desire.

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/06 at 4:12 pm

I hope that doesn't include me.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

You pose a very loaded question..  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/20/06 at 4:55 pm

If you read my responses on the previous page, you'll see that my family has a good reason for not doing it this year, moreso than just lack of desire.

I did, I was just being funny.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 4:58 pm

I did, I was just being funny.

I didn't see it that way.....I thought you were still asking me why.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/20/06 at 5:21 pm

I didn't see it that way.....I thought you were still asking me why.

The giggly face was my indicator that I was not being serious about it. It's okay.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/06 at 6:53 pm

You pose a very loaded question..  ;D

Yeah, I did.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 12:06 am

What a contemptible, sick, disgusting, rotten, perverted, cruel, nasty idea.  I LIKE IT!!!
I'll get the cats and the feline laxitives from the vet.  I delegate the chore of collecting and wrapping said turds to you.
;D

See, when I was a kid, there was a run-down house at the end of Blood Road where mean old Mr. Pinkney lived.  No trick-or-treaters approached his house EVER!  The perennial rumor went like this, three kids called on Mr. Pinkney one Halloween.  Pinkney answered the door and told the kids to open their trick-or-treat bags, whereupon Pinkney proceeded to pee in all three of their bags!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif
Of course this was bogus.  Kids make up stuff about grownups they don't like.  Pinkney didn't like kids, dogs, and tax assessors.  I have a theory Pinkney started the rumor himself sometime in the '60s to insure kids didn't annoy him on Halloween. 

Yes, it was really called Blood Road, named after some or other Mr. Blood way back when.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 12:38 am

Instill treats with LSD.  That's keep 'em confused for a while!

Speaking of...
Every year the same two dire warnings went around:
1. Razor blades in apples.
2. Poisons or drugs in candy.
I have never heard of either of these actually happening.  Snopes.com relates no confirmed random poisonings.  However, there are several instances of needles and razors inserted into treats.  Why should one be true and the other not?  Simple.  It's the difference between trying to injure and trying to kill.  Snopes makes no mention at all of drug-laced candy, though it's one I heard. 

http://snopes.com/holidays/halloween/halloween.asp

Written By: La Roche on 10/21/06 at 4:22 am

What a contemptible, sick, disgusting, rotten, perverted, cruel, nasty idea.  I LIKE IT!!!
I'll get the cats and the feline laxitives from the vet.  I delegate the chore of collecting and wrapping said turds to you.
;D

Having my hands stink for a few days is a small price to pay for mildly poisoning numerous small children.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/21/06 at 2:27 pm

Girly goats.. I ain't no weirdo!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/Step-chan/capricorn.jpg

Saved this into my photobucket account just for you! A capricorn(goat) girl. :D  ;D

Written By: YWN on 10/21/06 at 8:39 pm

Actually, my family never celebrates Halloween or gives out candy either. 

I would call it a dumb holiday, but the phrase "dumb holiday" is mostly redundant in my book.  Of course, here I am excluding East Timorian Independence Day, which lands on May 20th.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/21/06 at 8:40 pm

We're celebrating it.....we're decorating the house, carving a pumpkin...stuff like that.  It's just that with our dog, it's just too much to deal with having people ringing the doorbell all night.

Written By: La Roche on 10/22/06 at 1:26 pm

I would call it a dumb holiday, but the phrase "dumb holiday" is mostly redundant in my book.  Of course, here I am excluding East Timorian Independence Day, which lands on May 20th.

I'm still gonna need your help weaving my tai dress.. is it really supposed to be made out of such itchy plants?

Written By: La Roche on 10/22/06 at 1:27 pm

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/Step-chan/capricorn.jpg

Saved this into my photobucket account just for you! A capricorn(goat) girl. :D  ;D

.. Yeah.. ok.. I'm really upset now.. jerk. I thought I'd found something even you wouldn't know about, now you have to come and take this away from me. Jerk.

I'm just gonna go lower myself over a humpback whales blowhole.. beat that spoilsport!

Written By: Apricot on 10/22/06 at 1:28 pm

Is it one of those religious disputes, or do they just not want to do it, or have reasons like Sister Morphine's family?

Written By: La Roche on 10/22/06 at 1:30 pm

Is it one of those religious disputes, or do they just not want to do it, or have reasons like Sister Morphine's family?

Knowing his mother as well as I do, I'd say religious. She balked at my suggestion of seeing an R rated movie.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/06 at 4:44 pm

.. Yeah.. ok.. I'm really upset now.. jerk. I thought I'd found something even you wouldn't know about, now you have to come and take this away from me. Jerk.

I'm just gonna go lower myself over a humpback whales blowhole.. beat that spoilsport!

Davey, Davey, Davey...... That's what using Google image search is all about.

You should know better than to challenge a person with an extremely eccentric mind. If you post comments like that with keyword combinations like goat and girl, I can look it up on Google. Speaking of which....

Edit: It's not a cartoon image, but here you go...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/Step-chan/humpback.jpg

Written By: YWN on 10/23/06 at 9:14 pm

I'm still gonna need your help weaving my tai dress.. is it really supposed to be made out of such itchy plants?

Do you think our East Timorian Founding Fathers complained and whined about itchy dresses?  No, now get out there like a true soldier and blow stuff up...fireworks, Andy.  We don't need another "situation".

I remember when I was five or six, my mother told me that Halloween is the devil's birthday.  Now, I know that my mother is a smarter woman than that, so I assume she just told me that so I would shut up.  However, she has pointed out that the holiday has a dark history with the Druids, and that may be why she doesn't like it, but I suspect it's mostly just she doesn't want to put up with it.

Knowing his mother as well as I do, I'd say religious. She balked at my suggestion of seeing an R rated movie.

Dude, my mom is strict about R rated movies.  All the R rated movies on television are put on parental lock, so you have to enter four certain digits to watch them.  It's ridiculous, I'm fifteen, and I've rented/checked out R rated films before anyways, the only two I can readily recall being "1984" and "Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life".

Written By: La Roche on 10/24/06 at 1:16 pm

Davey, Davey, Davey...... That's what using Google image search is all about.

You should know better than to challenge a person with an extremely eccentric mind. If you post comments like that with keyword combinations like goat and girl, I can look it up on Google. Speaking of which....

Edit: It's not a cartoon image, but here you go...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/Step-chan/humpback.jpg

It's a good thing I'm in to Klingon Dicks then.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 3:37 pm

It's a good thing I'm in to Klingon Dicks then.

Well, I'm not about to put any Klingon naughty parts in my image account. :D

I might be eccentric, but I'm not insane(although I'm sure a few of you disagree).

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 4:43 pm

pretend that your home is a haunted house ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 2:13 am

HOw about giving the little one an ice lolly to eat as a treat?

Written By: La Roche on 10/31/06 at 1:37 pm

Stand in the doorway.. just stare at them. If they move, raise a hand slowly and point toward the road. I just did that. They looked freaked out. Little jerks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 1:38 pm

So far, touch wood, we have had not one single caller at our door tonight.

Written By: spaceace on 10/31/06 at 4:50 pm

I'm hoping the kids read my message I left on the window.  No soliciting!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 4:52 pm

Well, they can come to the door tonight all the want, but it won't be answered.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/06 at 4:54 pm

Pretend you're bleeding  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 10/31/06 at 4:58 pm

Bad ideal on Halloween Howard.  No one will take it seriously.  They'll think it's fake blood. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/31/06 at 5:06 pm

Bad ideal on Halloween Howard.  No one will take it seriously.  They'll think it's fake blood. ::)

Or you can just stab yourself. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/06 at 1:09 am

The trick ot treaters confused us last night by not knocking on our door.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/01/06 at 2:26 am

Ways to confuse trick or treaters?  Have multiple doors on the house, any of which could be the front door that you are supposed to knock on to get treats.  or better yet, have NO front door at all.  :D

Written By: karen on 11/01/06 at 3:50 am

The trick ot treaters confused us last night by not knocking on our door.

Same here.  I saw some across the road as I was driving home last night but no one came to our door.  More chocolates for me  I mean for the children

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/06 at 11:02 am

Same here.  I saw some across the road as I was driving home last night but no one came to our door.  More chocolates for me  I mean for the children
Perhaps the ASBOs put them off going out?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/06 at 11:08 am

Carlos is GREAT at confusing trick-or-treaters. (See my post on "Are you going to dress up" thread.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/01/06 at 3:43 pm

By showing them a decapitated head. :o

Check for new replies or respond here...