inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I caused my parents to go grey!!!

Written By: Tam on 10/23/06 at 11:16 am

My mom has been here for the week visiting and she was telling tales about me to my son and husband.
I remember some of them but others I had no clue about!

What did you do when you were young that undoubtedly has caused your parents stress and/or added grey hair to their heads?

Here's one of my stories:

When I was 5 or 6, my parents and Aunt lived in the same apartment building. I had been upstairs visiting my Aunt, driving her crazy so she sent me home. As I was walking down the stairs, I looked at the railing and thought it would be a piece of cake to climb through them. So I got to the bottom of the stairs and went up the outside of the railing. I proceeded to climb through the railing.

My legs went through first, no problem! Then I pulled my butt and tummy through, still no problem. I managed to get my shoulders through and then tried to finish by pulling my head through...... Here came the problem.

Turned out, my head was too big to fit through the spacing of the rails! Sure enough I panicked (so my chest expanded) and couldn't get back out the way I had gone through. I started screaming and crying in the hallway of the apartment building. Several rude tenants came out and told em to shut up.... then out came my mom! They tried everything they could to get me out to no avail! A neighbour even tried to get me out with Vaseline - which of course didn't work! After being stuck there for about 30 minutes, they called the police and fire department.

Roaring up the road came 3 Fire Engines and the Search and Rescue truck, and 2 police cars! They came in and looked, tried to get me to calm down to pull me back through - nothing worked! Finally one firefighter said "well, we are going to have to cut it"!! OMG!!! I thought he meant they were going to cut my head off and I started kicking and screaming and crying even louder!! Mom brought a towel out and put it over my head and they explained that they were going to cut the bars of the railing - not my head.

So there I was, on the stair, head covered in a towel, stuck in a railing while the firemen used a hacksaw to cut through the bars!!!
They eventually freed me, and I swear to this day I never went through another railing!! (Heck, it wasn't till I hit high school that I actually started walking closer to the railings!) Thankfully the fire department didn't charge us for the visit or the work.

When my mom told this story the other night - she finished with "...and this patch of grey right here came 2 days after!!!"

;D ;D ;D

Subject: Re: I caused my parents to go grey!!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/06 at 11:28 am

LOL, that's great!  ;D

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but give me a minute or two...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/23/06 at 1:54 pm

great story, Tam! ;D :D

Um...let's see...I was an ornery child when I was younger...not bad...just mischievous.  I almost drowned at a hotel, I fell in the deep end, and had it not been for my parent's friend jumping in and saving me, I would have died.

I would sass my parents and cross my arms and say, "I don't like you...I don't like anybody".  I was very dramatic even back then...when I would get mad I would be yelling and screaming and saying things like, "what's this world coming to....it's coming to an end". ;D :D

When I was a bit older, I accidentally put my arm/hand through a window and there was blood everywhere...it looked a lot worse than it really was (I only ended up needing about 10 stitches total).

Those are the things that stick out in my mind...as I got older, I was better behaved. LOL!

Written By: Gis on 10/23/06 at 2:20 pm

I didn't really do much at all my brother was the bad one! I guess the only thing I do remember was when my Dad accidentally dislocated my shoulder yanking me away from the electric socket I was just sticking one of his screw drivers in! 

Written By: Paul on 10/23/06 at 2:25 pm

What did you do when you were young that undoubtedly has caused your parents stress and/or added grey hair to their heads?

Being born, I think... ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/06 at 2:29 pm

I can't think of anything that I did, but one day, my sister decided that she was sick of Kindergarten, so she went home.  My mom was at work, and the school called her in a panic because my sister hadn't returned from recess.  My mom rushed home to find my sister having a bologna sandwich and a beer.  I'm fairly certain most of her hair turned grey that day...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/06 at 2:32 pm

When I was about 6 years old, we went to a restaurant for dinner. I had to use the bathroom and I was going to a "big girl" and do it all myself. I ran in a locked the door before one of my sisters could join me. This was old fashion lock where you had to turn the key. Yeah, I turned the key to lock the door but when I was done, I couldn't turn the key back. I was locked in the bathroom. The people who worked there got the key and unlocked it for me. I was so embarrassed when I came out. Not too sure how much grief that cause my parents but I'm sure it cause more for me than for them.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/06 at 3:12 pm

I was very difficult to deal with when I was a teenager...it seemed my parents were always giving me a lecture!  :-[

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/06 at 3:35 pm

LOL great story Tam ;D

When I was like 3 or 4 years old, My mom and I were at K-Mart, and as we were leaving the store, I saw some old piece of candy of some sort lying around, so I picked it up, popped it in my mouth, swallowed it, and then started to choke.  My mom was thrown into a panic .. my face was bright red.  She slapped my back repeatedly and the candy eventually came out, but I was so scared that I shook loose from my mom, and ran out of the store into the path of an oncoming car, which jammed on it's brakes just in time.

To this day, my mom tells me that never was she more scared in her whole life

Written By: Tam on 10/23/06 at 7:44 pm

So many stories! And they are truly great!
For those who don't want to post ones about themselves because they are too embarrased... why not post something that your children have done to cause you to get grey hair? I know my son has done his share.... but I will save that to see if Junior posts anything for himself first! ;)

Karma to y'all!

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/23/06 at 7:59 pm

When I was about 6 years old, we went to a restaurant for dinner. I had to use the bathroom and I was going to a "big girl" and do it all myself. I ran in a locked the door before one of my sisters could join me. This was old fashion lock where you had to turn the key. Yeah, I turned the key to lock the door but when I was done, I couldn't turn the key back. I was locked in the bathroom. The people who worked there got the key and unlocked it for me. I was so embarrassed when I came out. Not too sure how much grief that cause my parents but I'm sure it cause more for me than for them.

Cat

I also got locked in the bathroom when I was a kid...I was about 1 1/2 and there was a small bathroom in our laundry room.  My mother was folding clothes and I went into the bathroom and turned the lock.  I couldn't figure out how to unlock it and my mother tried to explain to me how to do it.  That didn't work either and at that point my mother was state of panic, calling my father at work telling him he needed to come home.  She then decided that a hammer would do the trick, she started bashing the door knob, which didn't work either.  My neighbor heard my mother and came over, grabbed a screw driver and calmly put it into the little hole on the knob and "voila" the door was unlocked.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/23/06 at 9:27 pm

I can't think of anything that I did, but one day, my sister decided that she was sick of Kindergarten, so she went home.  My mom was at work, and the school called her in a panic because my sister hadn't returned from recess.  My mom rushed home to find my sister having a bologna sandwich and a beer.  I'm fairly certain most of her hair turned grey that day...

OMG...that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard! Just picturing a little kindergarten kid, kicking back a brewski while eating a bologna sandwich....hahahaa...TOO funny!! ;D :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/23/06 at 9:31 pm

Well...here's something that Vaughn did when he was only a little over a year old.  Without telling the entire (very long) story....

He ate 1/2 of one of those gross furry caterpillars (and left the other bitten half on our coffee table). Needless to say, we had to take him to the hospital because those are said to be poisonous. He had to have immediate surgery because they said that these prickly things on the caterpillar are poisonous and other children that had eaten them, sometimes got them stuck in their throat. Thankfully...when they scoped his throat..he didn't have any there....but it was QUITE the ordeal! AND...I wonder why my hair is turning gray now! :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 12:18 am

I was born. 

Seriously....a few weeks after I was born, my dad started to go gray.

Written By: Tam on 10/24/06 at 12:30 am

I was born. 

Seriously....a few weeks after I was born, my dad started to go gray.

That's alwasy good Beth!  ;D

Well...here's something that Vaughn did when he was only a little over a year old.  Without telling the entire (very long) story....

He ate 1/2 of one of those gross furry caterpillars (and left the other bitten half on our coffee table). Needless to say, we had to take him to the hospital because those are said to be poisonous. He had to have immediate surgery because they said that these prickly things on the caterpillar are poisonous and other children that had eaten them, sometimes got them stuck in their throat. Thankfully...when they scoped his throat..he didn't have any there....but it was QUITE the ordeal! AND...I wonder why my hair is turning gray now! :D

OMG Erin! I have never heard of those types of caterpillars! Remind me to never go to PA!!! ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/24/06 at 9:31 am

Good Lord!  Those caterpillars scare the bejesus out of me!  I think I'm starting to go grey just from reading it...  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek6.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/24/06 at 9:53 am

That's alwasy good Beth!  ;D
OMG Erin! I have never heard of those types of caterpillars! Remind me to never go to PA!!! ;D

Good Lord!  Those caterpillars scare the bejesus out of me!  I think I'm starting to go grey just from reading it...  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek6.gif

yea...those things are quite gross, to say the least! I can't imagine actually eating one! :o  Hey...I should have signed him up for "Fear Factor" ;D :D

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4CHKD5FxSEBAsOjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11nv9d3m3/EXP=1161787911/**http%3a//www.artbypohle.com/fuzzy.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/24/06 at 10:07 am

Alright, I'm gonna tell you another thing I did...

Back in the 70's they made a daisy shaped toilet bowl cleaner/freshener thingy, anyway my mom was getting ready to put one into the toilet but ran to get the phone and left it sitting there.  I guess I decided it looked very tasty so I tried to eat it, I came out of the bathroom with a bright blue ring around my mouth.  My mother was on the phone with Poison Control within seconds and I think after fining out it wasn't going to kill the the lady on the other end of the phone laughed her butt off.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/24/06 at 11:28 am

Absolutely nothing.....I was the perfect child  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel2.gif

AFA what my kids have done....I was going grey long before any of them were born so I (unfortunately ;)) can't blame my greys on them :-\\

Written By: Tam on 10/27/06 at 4:52 pm

There was another instance of my being a child from HeLL!

Next door to us was a woman that my parents called Old Lady Martin.
She always had the most beautiful Tulips and Calla Lilies in her front yard. Mom and dad taught me that they were weeds and that weeds were flowers.

...long story short - my cousin Debbie convinced me that they were in fact flowers, so we picked every last one - bulbs and all!!!

Old Lady Martin came over, I got a beatin', then my parents paid for all the damage I had done!

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/06 at 6:24 pm

I don't think that caused your parents to go grey...

wait... oh... stupid font.  nevermind.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/28/06 at 10:09 am

My mother had an older brother who was hit by a car when he was thirteen and died so she was very nervous about us playing in the street, even though we lived on a very quiet street(well few cars, lots of kids, but few cars).  I think I drove her to distraction because I just loved riding down the hill on my bicycle no hands.  I could weave in and around things no hands and loved it.  Like all kids I believed nothing like that could ever happen to me, and luckily it didn't.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 4:36 pm

I'd guess from all that screaming and yelling at each other back and forth plus being around each other and getting on everyone's nerves all the time

Check for new replies or respond here...