inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what's your autism quotient?

Written By: karen on 10/24/06 at 11:51 am

Here's a little quiz to try.  It only takes a couple of minutes and gives you a score on the autism spectrum.  It's not a diagnosing tool, purely for interest.

autism quotient

Subject: Re: what's your autism quotient?

Written By: nally on 10/24/06 at 11:58 am

Interesting...I just took it and got a 23.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/24/06 at 12:02 pm

that was interesting...I scored a 19.

Written By: Gis on 10/24/06 at 12:03 pm

I got a 12.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 12:09 pm

I got 15, an average score. Take that, my grade school art teacher and high school gym teacher are wrong!!! I know I'm not autistic, I could tell the stories about these two who claimed that I was.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/06 at 12:37 pm

I got a 21.

Cat

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/06 at 3:37 pm

I got a 14.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/24/06 at 4:10 pm

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/24/06 at 4:41 pm

I scored a whopping 35 (Very High). :o That might explain why I spend so much time online without actually saying anything.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 4:46 pm

I scored a 13, which is average.  It says that most women score about a 15, so I'm below that.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/24/06 at 4:48 pm

I got a 15...

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 6:19 pm

I scored a 13, which is average.  It says that most women score about a 15, so I'm below that.

With men it's 17, mine was 15.

Written By: nally on 10/24/06 at 6:21 pm

With men it's 17, mine was 15.

I guess mine was higher than average then.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 6:24 pm

I guess mine was higher than average then.

What was 23's rating?

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/06 at 6:29 pm

Very high.

I also went on wikipedia yesterday, and according to it, I have OCD. :P

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 6:34 pm

Very high.

I also went on wikipedia yesterday, and according to it, I have OCD. :P

Damn! 38?

Did any teachers ever try to say you had something like autism?(that happened to me, see my first post).

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/06 at 6:35 pm

Damn! 38?

Did any teachers ever try to say you had something like autism?(that happened to me, see my first post).

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 6:42 pm

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope.

They did with me(it happened twice in my life), I guess my quirkiness threw them off.

Written By: nally on 10/24/06 at 6:42 pm

What was 23's rating?

I don't quite remember...but I don't think it fell in the "average for men" range. So that's why I think I was a little above average.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/06 at 6:44 pm

I don't quite remember...but I don't think it fell in the "average for men" range. So that's why I think I was a little above average.

Still within range. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 10/24/06 at 6:59 pm

So, as I was saying, I'm retarded, not Autistic.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/24/06 at 7:19 pm

I got a 25. I thought I would be about that, as I've always known I've been into numbers and dates and organizing and stuff, so that may have made it higher.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/24/06 at 10:05 pm

21  average

Written By: audkal on 10/24/06 at 11:50 pm

I got 30--above average, especially for a woman.  :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/24/06 at 11:57 pm

Which is pretty high it seems, according to this I have high-functioning autism. :o

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/24/06 at 11:58 pm

i got 12. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 12:04 am

It just makes so much sense its crazy. I've always had an obsession with dates, its this weird thing. Also I know I am intelligent however sometimes I have an extremely difficult time expressing my train of thought externally to another person, even though I have a clear idea of what I mean in my mind. I also have a very aloof nature IRL, and an extremely difficult time expressing my feelings.

I'm able to get past some of that online though, its why I like coming on so much I guess.

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/25/06 at 12:08 am

It just makes so much sense its crazy. I've always had an obsession with dates, its this weird thing. Also I know I am intelligent however sometimes I have an extremely difficult time expressing my train of thought externally to another person, even though I have a clear idea of what I mean in my mind. I also have a very aloof nature IRL, and an extremely difficult time expressing my feelings.

I'm able to get past some of that online though, its why I like coming on so much I guess.

i'm super into details;numbers-not so much..but people and social stuff..BIGTIME!!..so it seems to be fairly accurate  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 12:08 am

Yeah I have the social skills of a rock.

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/25/06 at 12:09 am

give yourself time  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 12:12 am

give yourself time  :)

yeah hopefully I get better. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/25/06 at 12:43 am

a rock feels no pain

Written By: karen on 10/25/06 at 5:21 am

I scored a 10

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/25/06 at 5:40 am

30. Which is above average. I'm not autistic (I read the wikipedia article), just very quiet and reserved.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 8:35 am

It's not a diagnosing tool, purely for interest.

What if you score within the 35-49 bracket(which the quiz said is the range for people with high-functioning autism)? ???

Written By: karen on 10/25/06 at 8:39 am

What if you score within the 35-49 bracket(which the quiz said is the range for people with high-functioning autism)? ???

On the first page of the link it says

"Note that the scores of the test are not definitive and do not diagnose the presence of autism.  If you are concerned about your score, you should consult a doctor."

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 8:44 am

On the first page of the link it says

"Note that the scores of the test are not definitive and do not diagnose the presence of autism.  If you are concerned about your score, you should consult a doctor."

Ah ok, I missed that. Thanks.

Written By: Paul on 10/25/06 at 2:29 pm

Like Luke...30

Also like Luke, quiet and reserved (or possibly reversed!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/25/06 at 2:33 pm

Also like Luke, quiet and reserved...

There's nothing wrong with being quiet and reserved... :)

Written By: Paul on 10/25/06 at 2:40 pm

There's nothing wrong with being quiet and reserved... :)

Well, sadly at times, there is...

Others can (and do) take it as a sign of 'aloofness'...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/25/06 at 2:43 pm

Well, I probably scored higher because I am not totally into the social scenes and I do have some odd obsessions with numbers and remembering them a certain way, which may have made my score higher.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 2:46 pm

Hah! I'm the autism king, my score is the highest so far, at 44.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 5:17 pm

I got a 6. 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/25/06 at 5:26 pm

a rock feels no pain

And an island never cries....

As a mother of a somewhat high functioning autistic child I would say maybe you should explore this more.  It could explain your problem with social settings.  It is one of the main areas of difficulty, and the one that causes the most emotional pain. It could go a long way to dealing with it and finding strategies to help you out.  Go for it Dude. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/25/06 at 5:43 pm

I took the test answering the questions as much as my knowledge on my sons inner workings allowed my to, and got a score of 37, and high is professionally certified.  Adults are able to take these tests in a professional setting, you should try it.

Written By: Tam on 10/25/06 at 7:26 pm

I scored a 10.

Written By: YWN on 10/25/06 at 7:40 pm

I got 29.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/06 at 11:30 pm

I got a 24 (a little higher than the men's average of 17).

That doesn't surprise me, actually. I'm not autistic, but I sorta have some traits -- like I always was into things like numbers and patterns, or just being imaginitive. Sometimes I get into routines and don't deal with change so easily (which is why I tend to like nostalgia or stuff from my childhood alot, and am a little apprehensive about the future or the unknown).

However, I'd rather interact with people or friends than be alone. I guess I'm a "Social Geek". ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 11:33 pm

I took the test answering the questions as much as my knowledge on my sons inner workings allowed my to, and got a score of 37, and high is professionally certified.  Adults are able to take these tests in a professional setting, you should try it.

What are you talking about?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/25/06 at 11:34 pm

What are you talking about?

I think she was telling you to go see a doctor and take an actual test, not one online and see if you are in fact.....autistic.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 11:40 pm

I think she was telling you to go see a doctor and take an actual test, not one online and see if you are in fact.....autistic.

Oh. Not sure if I wanna do that.. I don't really care to be diagnosed, even if I do have Asperger's like this survey seems to indicate.

Besides I don't really have the time for it, I know it would end up taking mutiple visits. And I'm going to have no insurance in less than 3 months anyway.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/06 at 4:56 am

Oh. Not sure if I wanna do that.. I don't really care to be diagnosed, even if I do have Asperger's like this survey seems to indicate.

Besides I don't really have the time for it, I know it would end up taking mutiple visits. And I'm going to have no insurance in less than 3 months anyway.

A diagnosis can be a good thing opening you up to a variety of services, including extended health insurance coverage.  I suggest it only because you have expressed problems in the past in social settings.  I would say, given your ability to communicate so well, that you do have Aspergers.  Even if you don't want a professional opinion I would say that it would be a good idea to troll the internet to Aspergers websites, maybe get a better understanding of what it is.  Can't hurt, maybe help.  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/26/06 at 8:06 am

A diagnosis can be a good thing opening you up to a variety of services, including extended health insurance coverage.  I suggest it only because you have expressed problems in the past in social settings.  I would say, given your ability to communicate so well, that you do have Aspergers.  Even if you don't want a professional opinion I would say that it would be a good idea to troll the internet to Aspergers websites, maybe get a better understanding of what it is.  Can't hurt, maybe help.  :)
I agree.  You may find some strategies to help you, even if you don't have it.  I know quite a few parents who use coping strategies for ADHD on their kids even when they don't have it.  I use them on all 3 of my boys and only 1 has it and it does help.  Good luck :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/26/06 at 11:07 am

I agree.  You may find some strategies to help you, even if you don't have it.  I know quite a few parents who use coping strategies for ADHD on their kids even when they don't have it.  I use them on all 3 of my boys and only 1 has it and it does help.  Good luck :)

Sounds interesting. I could maybe find some of these "coping strategies" online, they could help. Thanks for the advice. :)

Written By: karen on 10/26/06 at 11:09 am

Sounds interesting. I could maybe find some of these "coping strategies" online, they could help. Thanks for the advice. :)

A PDF file which might be useful

http://www.nmht.nhs.uk/pdf/Publications/Information%20Leaflets/Shyness%20and%20Social%20Anxiety.pdf

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/26/06 at 11:14 am

A PDF file which might be useful

http://www.nmht.nhs.uk/pdf/Publications/Information%20Leaflets/Shyness%20and%20Social%20Anxiety.pdf

Thank you, I'll give it a look. Karma for you, Danoota and Kim.

Written By: Marian on 10/26/06 at 2:45 pm

I got a 20,which is on theaverage scale.

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 4:13 pm

I got a 36.  Of course I already know I'm autistic.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/06 at 10:51 pm

I got a 36.  Of course I already know I'm autistic.

=o, and I scored higher!

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/27/06 at 12:16 am

=o, and I scored higher!

Yeah, me too.

Can anyone say Rain Man? ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/27/06 at 12:17 am

I scored a 10.  Gotta go.  Wapner's on.

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 12:31 pm

I got a 23.. which is 'above average' according to that test. Funny, nally and I had the same score.. I would have guessed him to be much higher.  With his eye for detail.

Check for new replies or respond here...