inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So I'm going to New Zealand...

Written By: Fred on 10/25/06 at 9:37 pm

I've never been outside of Canada before (except to Washinton and New York State once, respectively), so I'm pretty excited to be going to NZ. Unfortunatly I won't be making the jump over to the land of Aus, so I'll have to save that for another trip. But if there's any members from or have been to NZ, that can tell me some good tourist locations (I'll probably be spending the majority of the trip on the North Island) that would be greatly appreciated. ;)

I've heard about the Milford Road, and thinking that would be an excellent opportunity to see some New Zealand scenery. Any comments or advice would be great!  :)

Subject: Re: So I'm going to New Zealand...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/25/06 at 10:11 pm

There's supposedly this one place where you can bungee jump like 1000 feet down :D

Not that I've ever been.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/27/06 at 2:08 am

I'm not so clued up on the North Island, but I know a bit about the South Island if you are interested. And yes, like E mentioned, you MUST try bungee-jumping.  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/06 at 7:47 am

Hi Fred

If it's north island, then try to get to see the Bay Of Islands.  Also Rotorua, that is a magical place.

Try to avoid Hamilton and Palmerston North, unless boredom is your bag  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/28/06 at 3:15 am

The town of Napier is stunning. It was rebuilt during the Art Deco period after being totally destroyed by an earthquake. It is considered the most perfect collection of pure art deco architecture in the world. These sites might give you a taste for it.
http://www.artdeconapier.com/
http://www.napier.govt.nz/

Written By: Fred on 10/31/06 at 2:35 am

The town of Napier is stunning. It was rebuilt during the Art Deco period after being totally destroyed by an earthquake. It is considered the most perfect collection of pure art deco architecture in the world. These sites might give you a taste for it.
http://www.artdeconapier.com/
http://www.napier.govt.nz/

Yeah I saw Napier in a postcard a while ago, and I must admit it looked very nice. I'll have to go there.  ;)

Written By: Fred on 10/31/06 at 2:37 am

I'm not so clued up on the North Island, but I know a bit about the South Island if you are interested. And yes, like E mentioned, you MUST try bungee-jumping.  :D

I read they have bungee-jumping off of the Sky Tower in Auckland. I'll think about it........ :o

I also hear that fanny refers to a certain female area Down Under, I'll try and refrain from saying that.  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/31/06 at 2:59 am

I've never been, but The Lord Of The Rings was filmed in New Zealand so I'd try to find out where and check out anything related to that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/31/06 at 3:40 am

I also hear that fanny refers to a certain female area Down Under, I'll try and refrain from saying that.  ;)
Err... yes. It's always amusing for us hearing an American (or Canadian) use the word "fanny" in the American context.  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/31/06 at 3:42 am

Err... yes. It's always amusing for us hearing an American (or Canadian) use the word "fanny" in the American context.  ;D

The British meaning is the same as the Aus/NZ meaning.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/31/06 at 3:47 am

The British meaning is the same as the Aus/NZ meaning.
I assumed that. As our English originated from Britain.

Written By: karen on 10/31/06 at 3:56 am

I assumed that. As our English originated from Britain.

True.  But I think I remember some words that mean different things in Aus (and possibly NZ) to the UK.  There was a classic Jasper Carrott sketch on it years ago

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/31/06 at 5:12 am

Lucky You! Have a wonderful time in New Zealand, as I've always wanted  to visit Kiwi Country myself... :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/31/06 at 5:41 pm

It's funny reading how everyone wants to come to New Zealand, where-as I was to leave New Zealand.  ::)

Well, for a holiday that is.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/31/06 at 7:37 pm

Enjoy your vacation!

Check for new replies or respond here...