inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are some of your favorite clothing brand names?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/29/06 at 1:47 pm

I was ponderng this as some people I know are very peticular about certain brands they purchase. There are some I will lean over more than others, but I'm willing to try new ones out, too (if they're not way over my budget). So, what kind of brands do you favor over others? Is it because of their durability? The fabrics? The way they fit? Or just the brand name only because it's the "in" thing? 

Subject: Re: What are some of your favorite clothing brand names?

Written By: Abix on 10/29/06 at 1:59 pm

being a plus sized woman, I wear Venezia , which is a brand at Lane Bryant, quite often. A girl my size has a hard time finding fashionable clothing that doesn't look like it's made for a 60 yr old who favors muu muus.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 3:32 pm

For pants I like Levi Strauss & Co. preferably 501's & 550's, and for shirts I like Docker, Izod, and for a little dressier I like pierre cardin and Jose Ferrar, which can be found at JC Penny.

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 3:47 pm

I was looking at IZOD clothes, but just couldn't bring myself to it.  (Lack of Gator, I think)  I shop at Khol's so I get their stuff.  Every once in awhile I'll pick up stuff from Areopostele. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 3:50 pm

Primark, because it is cheap!

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/06 at 3:54 pm

I don't really have any favourite brand names, just so long as it's on sale ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 3:58 pm

Lee Jean and (and yes, I do admit it) Victoria's Secret underwear. The rest doesn't really matter to me.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/06 at 4:19 pm

I don't care about brand names.  I do most of my shopping at Target and Old Navy because they have cute cheap stuff. 

Written By: La Roche on 10/29/06 at 4:25 pm

Every pair of jeans I own has come from American Eagle. I went in there one time about 3 years ago because I needed a pair of jeans.. they fit real nice, were comfy and lasted.. forever..so I thought, Hey, for $20-some, these are good.

Apart from that I'm easy, I don't tend to wear things that advertise some company.... most things I own are either from a sports team I follow or a band I've been to see. Oh.. I like Hanes underwear, but I will wear other sorts.

OOohh and another thing. I have size 14 feet, so I'm sometimes limited in what I can wear.. I find Nike have the best selections in larger sizes, so I tend to go to that section of the shoe store first.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 4:29 pm

Oh, one other brand-New Balance. They last a LONG time and I wear them almost everyday. The last pair I got about 5 years ago and still going.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 10/29/06 at 4:37 pm

Oh, one other brand-New Balance. They last a LONG time and I wear them almost everyday. The last pair I got about 5 years ago and still going.

Cat

Do they make clown shoes for people like me?  ;D

The guy I used to live with had a paiur of New Balance trainers he bought sometime in the mid 90's.  ;D He'd justw ear them when he walked the dog with me.. but still.. they were about 10 years old.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 5:51 pm

Do they make clown shoes for people like me?  ;D

The guy I used to live with had a paiur of New Balance trainers he bought sometime in the mid 90's.  ;D He'd justw ear them when he walked the dog with me.. but still.. they were about 10 years old.

I just went to their website and it looks like they have up to size 16 in mens. I have just the opposite problem. I have tiny feet-size 6 A but most don't make As anymore so I have to settle for Bs.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/29/06 at 5:56 pm

I'm not that much of a label hog, but these names have made appearances in my wardrobe

Nike, Timberland, Enyce, Levi, Baby Phat, North Face, Ecko and Ecko RED,555 Soul, Aeropostale, Gap,  Roca Wear, Victoria's Secret and Versace.

I love NYC we have Everything!!!

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 6:00 pm

How many "Outlets" does NYC have?  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/29/06 at 6:42 pm

When I worked outside of the home and before I had my kids, I wore lots of Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Brooks Brothers as well as other brand names.  Now, I wear stuff from Khols and Penneys, I like the fit and the prices. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/06 at 3:42 pm

I think I'm with most of you as far as just wanting to find a good deal and a good fit. I will admit, I do tend to be into certain brandnames, but if it looks nice, most of the time it will not matter. The brands I have in my closet are usually: Gap, New York & Co., Rampage, H & M,  JCPenney brand names, Mossimo (at Target), American Eagle Outfitters (not as much nowadays), etc. 

For jeans, I buy Paris Blues, L.E.I., Seven for All Mankind, and various others. I do have a white pair of Levis that came with a really cool rainbow belt. I just can't fit into them anymore, lol.

For dresses, I have indulged in some very expensive brands - I bought about 4 items from Max Studio - They have the most beautiful dresses in my opinion. I'd buy Prada, but that's just WAY beyond my budget.  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/30/06 at 3:50 pm

Most of my clothes are Tommy Hilfiger (jeans and tops) & Calvin Klein (jeans).  I usually buy them because they seem to fit me best and I can usually just buy the size I wear without having to try them on and be relatively confident they'll fit.  Let me stress that I DO NOT buy them at regular price, though.....I usually shop at the outlet stores, Goodwill, and clearance racks for them ;) 

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 3:59 pm

My favorite brand name has to be Wrangler.

Written By: spaceace on 10/30/06 at 4:06 pm

Most of my clothes are Tommy Hilfiger (jeans and tops) & Calvin Klein (jeans).  I usually buy them because they seem to fit me best and I can usually just buy the size I wear without having to try them on and be relatively confident they'll fit.  Let me stress that I DO NOT buy them at regular price, though.....I usually shop at the outlet stores, Goodwill, and clearance racks for them ;) 

Hey that's what I do.  If I can buy a pair of Tommy jeans for $30 or less, they're mine!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/06 at 4:23 pm

^ Sometimes I will pay full price for some jeans because I'm short and it is SO hard to find a nice pair of jeans that actually fit well in all the right places.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 10/30/06 at 4:28 pm

I rarely ever buy pants because I'm so hard to fit.  Shirts, don't have to be designer. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/30/06 at 4:40 pm

Whatever can be purchased at Lane Bryant and Torrid.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/06 at 4:44 pm

Lane Byrant has some nice stuff. Torrid looked alright, too.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 10/30/06 at 6:00 pm

Lane Bryant, Torrid, and Fashion Bug stuff works for me....when I actually decide to change out of my sweats. ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/30/06 at 6:06 pm

I don't go out of my way to buy only brand stuff. Usually you can get the same quality clothing but for cheaper somewhere else. The only difference being that it doesn't have some corporate logo sewed onto it.

Written By: Abix on 10/30/06 at 7:38 pm

Torrid? Is that a regional store? I don't think we have them here in MN.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/30/06 at 9:23 pm

There's one in the Mall of America in Bloomington.

http://www.torrid.com/storeLoc/store_loc.asp?LS=0&

Written By: Abix on 10/31/06 at 1:56 pm

cool, I'll have to check it out sometime.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/31/06 at 2:00 pm

For denim shorts, it has to be Calvin Klein (which I get for a fraction of the price at Ross)...

They seem to be the only ones that really fit my figure!  :)

Written By: Marian on 10/31/06 at 2:37 pm

I like J.Crew,Oilily,Ann Taylor,Gloria Vanderbilt,Calvin Klein,Hanna Andersson,Old Navy,Gap,Betsey Johnson,and the stuff you find at Anthropologie.

Written By: Marian on 10/31/06 at 2:39 pm

It's the plus-size version of Hot Topic.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 2:44 pm

I don't really care too much about name brands...if I find something cute that fits me and makes me look decent...then I will buy/wear it.  I am into shoes a bit (at least when I had money to buy them)...I really like Doc Martens and Converse (chucks).

Written By: Howard on 10/31/06 at 5:43 pm

Is Torrid the name of a jeans brand?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 5:48 pm

Is Torrid the name of a jeans brand?

No, it's a store.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/06 at 5:59 pm

J. Crew, L.L. Bean, stuff like that.  I'm not into high fashion (couldn't afford to be even if I wanted to).  I'd buy totally cheap stuff at Target, but I find the really cheap stuff tends to be less durable, hence not more economical than buying something solid from L.L. Bean.

On the other hand, I got a pair of cheap-o off-brand sneakers at whatever mall shoe store a few years ago.  They're just as durable as the status symbol brands for 1/3 the price!  If I had a kid I wouldn't make him go to school wearing no-names.  I caught hell in the sixth grade 'coz my stepmother was cheap!  At my age, I could give less of a sh*t what the label says!
;D

Written By: Abix on 10/31/06 at 8:39 pm

It's the plus-size version of Hot Topic.

Good, I'm glad to hear that Plus Sized folks are being recognized in the fashion industry..

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 9:44 pm

Good, I'm glad to hear that Plus Sized folks are being recognized in the fashion industry..

Torrid has some awesome clothes.  The Lane Bryant up at North Point closed, so I shop a lot more now at Torrid.  There's a few things I need to buy at Lane Bryant, so I go to the one at the Perimeter.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/06 at 4:08 pm

No, it's a store.

Where? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 4:26 pm

Where? ???

At the mall.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/06 at 4:27 pm

At the mall.

A mall in New York City?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 4:29 pm

A mall in New York City?

I don't live in NYC, I live in Alpharetta.  It's a store in a mall here in Georgia.  They are located elsewhere in the country, though.  Abix wanted to know if there was one in Minnesota and there was.

Besides, it's not a store for you.....it's a store for plus-sized women.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/03/06 at 7:14 pm

J. Crew, L.L. Bean, stuff like that.  I'm not into high fashion (couldn't afford to be even if I wanted to).  I'd buy totally cheap stuff at Target, but I find the really cheap stuff tends to be less durable, hence not more economical than buying something solid from L.L. Bean.

On the other hand, I got a pair of cheap-o off-brand sneakers at whatever mall shoe store a few years ago.  They're just as durable as the status symbol brands for 1/3 the price!  If I had a kid I wouldn't make him go to school wearing no-names.  I caught hell in the sixth grade 'coz my stepmother was cheap!  At my age, I could give less of a sh*t what the label says!
;D

I never understood why kids were so mean and cruel about certain brand names. Not everyone could afford Air Nike or that kind of stuff. Of course, my brother did eventually get those... with the pump in them - what a bunch of crap they were selling us, lol

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/04/06 at 1:18 am

Fruit of the Loom

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/04/06 at 1:57 am

I don't know if they're really my favourite; it's just what I buy because they're decent and seem to wear well on me for the price:

T-shirts - Old Navy, Hanes, Russell Athletic
Dress/casual shirts - Croft & Barrow (Kohl's), Van Heusen, Arrow
Jeans - Levi's 560, Eddie Bauer, Geoffrey Beene
Cargo pants - Old Navy
Shorts - Levi's, Old Navy
Dress/casual pants (khakis) - Dockers, Bragg, Savane
Shoes - Dr. Martens, New Balance, Vans (the old skool moreso than current styles), Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, and now Bostonian.

I usually don't pay full price for clothes.  Most of my clothes shopping happens at Kohl's, Old Navy, DSW or Target (fer underwear and socks).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 3:00 am

I wish they'd bring back Levi cords. I used to have brown, white, baby blue, navy blue corduroy pants with a slight flare at the bottom. they were cool. man, a pair of those and some desert boots

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 3:13 am

I wish they'd bring back Levi cords. I used to have brown, white, baby blue, navy blue corduroy pants with a slight flare at the bottom. they were cool. man, a pair of those and some desert boots

Wait a second.  You actually wore a pair of baby blue corderoy pants?

http://ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 3:16 am

Wait a second.  You actually wore a pair of baby blue corderoy pants?

http://ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg
oh hell yes, tight ones. they were groovy.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 3:17 am

oh hell yes, tight ones. they were groovy.

Far out, man. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 3:23 am

Far out, man. 
I had grey ones too. really far out  8)
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xWYW0xFfkQAUkajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12k3gsrj2/EXP=1162718488/**http%3a//www.mirrorboutique.com/images/men/pants/brownlevi-2XL.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wtjW0xFcfsASpqjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=124ene776/EXP=1162718435/**http%3a//freakout.jp/vintage/pants/other/519GZ.JPG

Written By: La Roche on 11/04/06 at 3:56 am

Cords are coming back in dude.

I have a corduroy jacket and pants.  :o

I've seen them quite a lot here in 'fashionable' Europe.  ;D
You'll get 'em back soon I'm sure.

Actually, funny story about 'fashionable' Europe.

I was in Paris a couple years ago and I picked up some clothes, thinking, oh wow, these look real cool, and hey look, they seem to be real popular.. wow.. comfy and fashionable, I've hit the jackpot. So.. I get back home to the 'Antiquated' Mid-West. Walk down the street and get stared at.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 3:59 am

Cords are coming back in dude.

I have a corduroy jacket and pants.  :o

I've seen them quite a lot here in 'fashionable' Europe.  ;D
You'll get 'em back soon I'm sure.

Actually, funny story about 'fashionable' Europe.

I was in Paris a couple years ago and I picked up some clothes, thinking, oh wow, these look real cool, and hey look, they seem to be real popular.. wow.. comfy and fashionable, I've hit the jackpot. So.. I get back home to the 'Antiquated' Mid-West. Walk down the street and get stared at.  ;D
they may stare now, but just wait til they catch on and you have the satisfaction of knowing you were the trend setter  ;D

seriuosly, cords are coming back> I only wore the Levis version.  wow, do I even dare to go down that road again?

Written By: La Roche on 11/04/06 at 4:00 am

they may stare now, but just wait til they catch on and you have the satisfaction of knowing you were the trend setter  ;D

seriuosly, cords are coming back> I only wore the Levis version.  wow, do I even dare to go down that road again?

I'll take a picture with my webcam.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 4:03 am

I'll take a picture with my webcam.
indeed, you must post this new fashion of yours that will be the rave

Written By: La Roche on 11/04/06 at 4:05 am

indeed, you must post this new fashion of yours that will be the rave

Nah man, I've seen loads of people wearing them.

I had cords about.. oohhh.. maybe 12 years ago.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 4:15 am

Nah man, I've seen loads of people wearing them.

I had cords about.. oohhh.. maybe 12 years ago.

I had cords about 26 years ago and are you wearing a medalion?  looking very suave

Written By: La Roche on 11/04/06 at 4:17 am

I had cords about 26 years ago and are you wearing a medalion?  looking very suave

No.. it's just the wrinkles in the t-shirt. It's about 8 sizes too big and I wore it to sleep in last night.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 4:27 am

No.. it's just the wrinkles in the t-shirt. It's about 8 sizes too big and I wore it to sleep in last night.  ;D
it was that cold huh?  looks like a clubbin' outfit and you sort of look like the lead singer from the Fabulous Thunderbirds

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 4:30 am

You know Andy....you kinda look like a strip club bouncer in that pic.  Or a gay pimp.

Written By: La Roche on 11/04/06 at 4:40 am

You know Andy....you kinda look like a strip club bouncer in that pic.  Or a gay pimp.

Considering I normally wear lots of leather.. I'd say gay pimp.

Yeah, most people say I look like a bouncer. I always stand at the bar arms across my chest looking at everyone.. and I wear sunglasses most of the year. So... thanks.

Written By: Abix on 11/04/06 at 12:36 pm

I used to love cords back when I was in 6th and 7th grade.. I had a pair of grey ones, cream colored ones, dark green ones.. Nowadays, my thighs and cords wouldn't go together.. We'd set off sonar equipment everywhere!! ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 12:38 pm

I used to love cords back when I was in 6th and 7th grade.. I had a pair of grey ones, cream colored ones, dark green ones.. Nowadays, my thighs and cords wouldn't go together.. We'd set off sonar equipment everywhere!! ;D
cream colored ones  (one color I did not have. more of a chick color,  right?  ;D

Written By: Abix on 11/04/06 at 12:41 pm

they were like an offwhite
"natural' was the color I think.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/06 at 4:09 pm

Wrangler and Levi's 501 Jeans

Written By: Marian on 11/04/06 at 4:42 pm

I'm glad for it too.You can't always wear simply a larger or smaller version of a certain style.I often see girls wearing fitted tops that were meant for someone smaller--doesn't work.I like seeing stuff for petite women too.not all women with smaller frames are skinny--many have curves;hence,they can't wear something with the neckline too low--well,just imagine what you would see!I have short legs and the classic round butt,so i don't go around in low rise jeans and a thong!Unfortunately you see too many women who do just that!When men wear something not meant for their figure type,it's usually something too long or baggy.They don't usually wear overly skimpy clothes.

Check for new replies or respond here...