inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What ever happen to your child hood friends?

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 11/09/06 at 10:36 am

A few days ago i was looking through my middle school year book, looking at my old friends and all. and started
to think, i was frieds with a few kids since 5 grade, till about 8th, then after 8th i never seen them again, see were
i live i had the choice of going to our local highschool or to a trade, well since my dad (loki 13) got me into welding I
Picked the trade school, Only to find out i would never see my old group of friends again. so i guess my question is do
you no were you child hood friends are?

Subject: Re: What ever happen to your child hood friends?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 10:43 am

Half the people I went to grade school with got knocked up or sent to prison.  One of them developed a meth habit.  I don't know what's going on with anyone I went to H.S. with aside from my friends.  I think one of them married a doctor, but I can't be sure.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/06 at 10:47 am

Well....I can honestly say that there are only 2 people that I have kept in touch with since graduating. My friend Matt..whom I have been friends with since middle school.  He only lives about an hour away from me, and we email each other all the time...hopefully will be able to see each other sometime soon too. And the other is a guy that I dated for awhile when we were really young (like 14)...his name is Ryan. We went to different schools though, so we hardly ever saw each other. I just found out that he is getting married...to someone named Erin! LOL! :D  My class just had our 10th reunion...but I didn't go (we already had out of town plans that weekend).  I occasionally see people that I've graduated with...or stumble upon them online...but I haven't remained close friends with any of them.  Just recently, I heard that a fellow classmate of mine died...she was only 30. :-\\  I sometimes envy people who have had best friends since they were very young...I've never had that.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 10:48 am

^^^I got asked if I would go to my 10 year reunion in a couple of years, but I said I'd rather shove hot pokers through my eyes.  Was that emphatic enough?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/06 at 10:50 am

^^^I got asked if I would go to my 10 year reunion in a couple of years, but I said I'd rather shove hot pokers through my eyes.  Was that emphatic enough?

I really had no desire to go to mine. I visited the website set up especially for our graduating class...and on there, people were doing nothing but bragging (oh, I've built a house, I work at this great place, etc)....so, I could have imagined what the actual reunion would have consisted of. I heard that only about 25 people showed up anyways. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 10:53 am

I really had no desire to go to mine. I visited the website set up especially for our graduating class...and on there, people were doing nothing but bragging (oh, I've built a house, I work at this great place, etc)....so, I could have imagined what the actual reunion would have consisted of. I heard that only about 25 people showed up anyways. ::)

I went to a Catholic, all-girls H.S.  Bitchy doesn't go away when you get older.  However they were when I told them all to sod off is how 85% of them will be now.  I had a very, very small group of friends in H.S......the rest of them would have left me dead on the side of the road if given the chance.  I don't want to see any of them again. 

The only reason I would ever go is if Cara went.  The two of us together would wreak havoc and I can go for havoc.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/09/06 at 11:03 am

I haven't lived in my home-town for about 20 years, I have no clue what anyone is up to.  I get a Christmas card every year from one girl I went to High School with, she's married and has three kids.  One guy I was good friends with in elementary school own a bar called "Mulvey's" for a while...don't know if it's still in business.  The kids I grew up with on my street all moved away while still in school.  I get a newsletter from my H.S. (like SM, I went to an All-girls Catholic school), it has a page dedicated to sharing news bragging about yourself.  It's fun to read what everyone is up to but I've never submitted anything about myself.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/09/06 at 11:08 am

I have a couple of friends that I've known since I was little.  I have one friend, Chet, who I've been friends with since we were in first grade.  We used to tell everyone we were cousins.  We stuck together all through middle and high school, through thick and thin.  I also have a girl friend who I've been friends with since Kindergarten.  We drifted apart in high school, but reunited this past summer.  All we do is laugh at the stunts we used to pull.  When we were really little, we went to church together, and she and I used to escape out the bathroom windows and play outside during Sunday School.   ;D  It's great to travel back in time with her.  I also have a few friends that I've known since middle school and high school that I still see regularly.  

I didn't go to my reunion either.  I still see all of the people I want to, and like Erin's, our website was full of braggarts.  I didn't see any point in going.  Besides, I had my Halloween party that night, and it was 100 times more fun!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/06 at 11:15 am

I only keep in touch with 1 friend from high school. The funny thing was, she wasn't my favorite friend back then but now she is one of my best friends. As for the others, I have lost contact with them.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I have been trying to track them down via the internet but so far, no luck.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 11/09/06 at 11:27 am

There are very few people I like from HS or keep in touch with. The rest are all a bunch of braggarts and jackasses. My one friend that I've known since 3rd grade is now living in Seattle and just got sworn in as a lawyer. I'm not surprised though, because she is one smart cookie. :)

My best friend growing up was my cousin. We used to cause all kinds of trouble and chaos. He lives in Texas now and works at a collection agency, which amuses me. But he is also amused by the fact that I'm now a housewife with a kid. If you knew us when we were younger, you'd see why we are both laughing at each other's choices in life. ;D

Written By: Gis on 11/09/06 at 11:31 am

Hmm,I have two friends from junior school I'm still in touch with.One is a post lady and the other is in P.R.

3 friends from secondary school I stiil hear from. One is in travel, one owns a frozen food company and one is a matron in a hospital.

From college I lost touch with all but 2 friends one is in telesales and one is a full time mum. We all just kind of drifted apart and to be honest I stopped hanging round with the crowd I was with once I left college and quit smoking things I shouldn't!  

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/09/06 at 12:48 pm

I have actually maintained some friendships from my gradeschool days. Some I have lost contact with and I miss them and hope someday to reconnect. One I was very best friends with in gradeschool supposedly still lives in the same house, but I am not sure. I've even driven by to see if she was around. A few years ago, my mother found an obituary of her mother who passed away. I was very saddened by this because I was very close to her mother and good friends with them for a good portion of my childhood. We sent flowers to her house, but never recieved a response. So, anyway, I am still searching to find her. Other friendships I have still been able to maintain.

Some of my Junior High and High School friendships, and even College day friendships, I have still been able to maintain. Not all, but luckily a few have still made an effort to stick around.

You only wish as a child that you could capture these moments forever and not lose these special bonds and moments you spent with these people, the same people who experienced many firsts as you did. Yet, I'm grateful for the ones I have now and that's what counts most  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/09/06 at 12:52 pm

;D

I'm feeling the same way. I didn't even go to a "regular" highschool for very long before I decided to leave all the pot heads and Britney wannabe's and do Independent Study. So, no, I really don't have a desire to go to my 10 year reunion (which I suppose is the same year as yours, roughly 3 years away  :o )

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/09/06 at 2:02 pm

I still keep in touch with two good friends from junior high and high school.  One of them is actually a member of this forum (NbC).  :)

Written By: Paul on 11/09/06 at 2:06 pm

I only maintain contact with two...

I've no wish to contact any others...what on earth would we talk about after 25 years?

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 2:14 pm

I still see one of my friends from school nearly every day, he's going to be living with me in the New Year, we've known each other some for somewhere in the region of 15-16 years now and still get along great.

I kept in touch with a few people after I finished high school but haven't talked to any of them for a few years. One joined the Para's and I know one got sent to prison for selling heroin.

Don't know too much about the others.

Oh that's a lie, one got a 14 year old girl pregnant and got the snot knocked out of him by the father. I only know this because I heard about it in the pub a couple of weeks ago.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/06 at 2:26 pm

I've had a friend who I knew since 1979 and his name was Jason back in the days of Kindergarden but him and I have been friends on and off.I don't speak to him anymore(or rarely),don't know why but after the late 90's he became a self-snob.He always thought he was better than me but I don't care,I can make better friends which I've done so far.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/09/06 at 3:08 pm

I only had one friend in my childhood, whom I'm still friends with to this day. Infact he is my best friend.

Written By: spaceace on 11/09/06 at 3:15 pm

I have one friend who I met in second grade.  She and I still talk.  I had one friend in high school that I would give anything to see again.  I usually end up running into people that I couldn't stand in high school, which is emotionally vile.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/06 at 3:18 pm

Hmm,I have two friends from junior school I'm still in touch with.One is a post lady and the other is in P.R.

3 friends from secondary school I stiil hear from. One is in travel, one owns a frozen food company and one is a matron in a hospital.

From college I lost touch with all but 2 friends one is in telesales and one is a full time mum. We all just kind of drifted apart and to be honest I stopped hanging round with the crowd I was with once I left college and quit smoking things I shouldn't!  

I only maintain contact with two...

I've no wish to contact any others...what on earth would we talk about after 25 years?

Have you both checked out http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/

Written By: loki 13 on 11/09/06 at 4:03 pm

My childhood friends went through stages. 8-10 years old there was Steve, Steve, Brian, Mark.
One Steve is a FOX News Reporter in Philadelphia, the other three are Slum Lords. I haven't
spoken to them in over 25 years.

11-15 years old there Uncle Joe, Guppie, Pig, Honkhead, Burrhead and Pyscho, like my previous
friends, I haven't kept in touch.

16+ years there was Chuck, Jack, Paul, Rick, Rich. Of these, Paul is dead, Rick is in Florida, Rich is in
Quakertown and Chuck married a woman who is worth millions, The biggest slacker gets lucky. I don't
know what ever became of Jack but I still talk to Rick and Rich on the phone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/06 at 4:04 pm

I have totally lost all contact with my school friends, but I know where there are!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/09/06 at 6:01 pm

I only had a few true friends in my age group as a kid (I tended to prefer adult company back then), although I was at least semi friendly with most people. Although due to us moving around alot, among other things (including me not taking the initiative to stay in touch with them as much as I should have), I lost contact with most of them by the early '90s, let alone now.

My best childhood friend was actually 4 years older than me when we were in Elementary School. Being 11 when I was 7, I'm lucky he actually wanted to hang out with me, but for the time, he was definitely like a big brother-type. I went to a Private School for grades 1-3 (1988 to 1990) because I didn't function well with huge groups of kids. Basically, it was smaller and had a wide group of kids with different learning "disablilties" (my friend was dyslexic, which is why he was there).

I didn't have too many close friends in the later Elementary years aside from some of the crowd I casually hung out with at school. I have no idea what happened to them since I moved again.

P.S. I'm not going past 1994 for me (the year I turned 13) because when I'm talking about childhood, I mean literally, as in pre-puberty. Adolescence is like 12-19, especially centering on the under 16 period, so my life from then is another story.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/09/06 at 10:04 pm

I've known my best friend since we were 8.  I've known another since she moved into my hometown at age 11 and we still talk semi-regularly.  Other than that, I see others from time to time, but nothing major.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/09/06 at 10:16 pm

The people from high school I actually cared about I'm still in semi-regular contact with. All the rest I'm not particularly worried about. Some of them are on one of those websites in which you sign up and list your old schools etc, what you're up to now and what not. Which is a good way to see what they are up to now.

I honestly have no idea where all my friends from way back (primary school) are now.

Written By: Gis on 11/10/06 at 2:46 am

Have you both checked out http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/
yeah I've been on there a few years now. Infact that's how i got back in touch with a couple of the friends I mentioned!

Written By: karen on 11/10/06 at 9:32 am

Quite a lot of them are still around here and I see them around town.  Some of them have children at the same school as my children go to.  I've also found out what a few of them are doing via friendsreunited.  There was a reunion organised last year but I didn't go because the girls organising it were bitches at school and I hated them!

I've got a couple of friends I keep meaning to get together with but I just keep putting off organising anything!

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 9:48 am

And the other is a guy that I dated for awhile when we were really young (like 14)...his name is Ryan.

No relation to Beth's Ryan, I hope.

Anyway... All my friends are still around (Seeing how I'm still in school!), but last year, I found out that they all hated me all along :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 10:29 am

No relation to Beth's Ryan, I hope.

Anyway... All my friends are still around (Seeing how I'm still in school!), but last year, I found out that they all hated me all along :P

no, this Ryan is the same age as me (we dated when we were younger) ;)

Written By: Abix on 11/10/06 at 10:44 am

I went to 13 different schools when I was growing up. I made friends easily in elementary school, so it wasn't too much of a problem. I went to 4 different Jr high schools though and when you're going through puberty, it makes it tougher.. 7th grade I had maybe 3 friends that I hung out with.. and I don't know what became of them. 8th grade I went to 3 different schools.. (yes that many for one grade).. the last one I actually ended up going to highschool with most of the folks that went there. I was lucky enough to be able to go to the same high school all 4 yrs... 9th through 12th grade.. and I made friends fine. and actually my best friend all through highschool, her name is Michelle, I met her in 8th grade, well she and I remained friends even after highschool. I am the godmother of her child. She and I kind of grew apart after highschool in the sense we weren't inseparable anymore.. but we are still friends. I just attended my 20 yr high school reunion last month and of all the people there, there was only 1 person that I hung out with. She and I still email each other, but I don't see her much. One ironic thing, I found one person on Myspace that I used to hang out with in school. So she's on my buddy list now and another girl found me! She and I used to be in love with the same 2 guys.. (at different times. I liked Ralph in 9th grade.. and Sheila ended up dating him in 11th grade and Sheila liked Bobby in 9th grade and I hooked up with Bobby in 11th grade! Crazy !!)

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/10/06 at 11:25 am

I have a friend I've known since 1982.  I lost touch with him from 1991 (when he went to Germany - Air Force) and were reunited in '96.  God Bless the internet.

We met up again a few times in 1999-2002 when he was living up in MD working at the Pentagon.  Currently he's in the UK and we still keep in touch.

As far as friends from high school, I keep in touch with a few but not on a regular basis.  There's a couple here in town I haven't seen since I moved back here.

Written By: La Roche on 11/10/06 at 11:29 am

I asked Pete what had happened to some of the people we knew. Now I know more.

I mentioned one guy I knew joined the Paras. Well apparently 2 others are in Iraq which is good for them I suppose. One wouldn't sign up if one wasn't interested in shooting things.

This girl who was in our class in High School shot herself.. interesting.

AND! These two guys that Pete knew.. but I.. spoke to, I guess. One of them killed a guy and the other was.. what's the word when you help somebody do a crime, but don't do it? Apprentice criminal? I dunno, anywho, those guys are in jail as well.

So of about 15 people I can remember vaguely associating with in school, one's dead and three are in jail, three are in the military, one works with me.. interesting.

Written By: Abix on 11/10/06 at 1:54 pm

I asked Pete what had happened to some of the people we knew. Now I know more.

I mentioned one guy I knew joined the Paras. Well apparently 2 others are in Iraq which is good for them I suppose. One wouldn't sign up if one wasn't interested in shooting things.

This girl who was in our class in High School shot herself.. interesting.

AND! These two guys that Pete knew.. but I.. spoke to, I guess. One of them killed a guy and the other was.. what's the word when you help somebody do a crime, but don't do it? Apprentice criminal? I dunno, anywho, those guys are in jail as well.

So of about 15 people I can remember vaguely associating with in school, one's dead and three are in jail, three are in the military, one works with me.. interesting.

An accomplice! :P that's the word you were looking for.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 3:19 pm

I still have friends but they're not childhood ones.I've know 2 guys  in my life for over 10 years now.

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/06 at 12:55 am

Most of the kids I knew in public and high school are now either in jail, on the way to jail, doing things that eventually get you in jail, or once in jail but now on parole.  Seems like everytime I read the police reports in the local paper, I see the name of someone I went to school with.  I often joke that my old High School should change their motto to "turning bright young minds into hardened criminals" lol

My best friend who I've known since Grade 2, I lost touch with in the late 90s.  Most of the friends I have now are ones that I met in college

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/12/06 at 12:58 am

Most of the kids I knew in public and high school are now either in jail, on the way to jail, doing things that eventually get you in jail, or once in jail but now on parole.  Seems like everytime I read the police reports in the local paper, I see the name of someone I went to school with.  I often joke that my old High School should change their motto to "turning bright young minds into hardened criminals" lol

My best friend who I've known since Grade 2, I lost touch with in the late 90s.  Most of the friends I have now are ones that I met in college

You sure we didn't go to the same elementary school?  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/12/06 at 1:48 am

To start with, I never had a lot of friends. I still don't, as a matter of fact - I've been lacking friends when I was younger and now I don't know what "friends" are supposed to do, I guess. :-\\ So I'm having a hard time maintaining friendships.

On the other hand, there is this one guy that I keep in touch with since we were both seven years old. We went through school together, but we lost touch around age 18. Reunited on a school reunion and decided to pick it back up where we left. Which reminds me: I should write him soon...there's still a letter waiting to be answered. :-[

I've lost track of most of the others I went to school with, and there has never been a reunion of our elementary school. :\'( I don't suppose many people would show up anyway (it's been nearly 30 years since we left).

Written By: La Roche on 11/12/06 at 6:11 am

An accomplice! :P that's the word you were looking for.

Accomplice to murder, there we go. Thank you.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/06 at 6:56 am

I have a loose confederation of friends who manage to keep in touch with one another, we tend to hold court in a crisis.  Of my closest, one is dead, the other is bipolar in Midtown Manhattan.  I miss them, but life goes on.

Written By: Abix on 11/12/06 at 10:54 pm

Accomplice to murder, there we go. Thank you.

anytime! :)

Written By: Abix on 11/12/06 at 10:57 pm

My husband is the exact opposite of me. He's 44 yrs old and has maintained friendships with people he's known since Kindergarten. His best friend since the age of 5, was our best man.  I admire that and sorta envy it also. He had the stability that I never had growing up.  Though he did move a few times when he was a kid, as his dad was a railroad man. So they relocated a few times. My moving around was um... just being raised in an unstable environment I guess.

Written By: KKay on 11/13/06 at 6:36 pm

I talk about once a year to someone from my high school. I went to his house for a bbq with a few other friends I had not seen in about 25 years.  It was weird. You know how you have those friends that, no matter how much time passes, they and your relationsihp with them is the same?  It was not like that.  It was great to see that everyeone was doing well, but not all that fun to know that we are not what we were.

I do not keep in touch with anyone from grammar/junior high (except the above mentioned person) at all, though i run into these people from time ot time and I cant believe they recognise me.

I see two people from my college.  About twice a year each.

That's the extent of it.

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 9:39 am

I suppose it did not help that I used to travel for work. I'd go away and then every time I came home someone else was gone, married, moved.  Although, I  can't say that if I had been in town the whole time that I would have put a lot of effort intot keepin up the relationships; you kind of expect that they will last and don't consider actually putting effort into maintaining them.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/14/06 at 10:42 am

I talk about once a year to someone from my high school. I went to his house for a bbq with a few other friends I had not seen in about 25 years.  It was weird. You know how you have those friends that, no matter how much time passes, they and your relationsihp with them is the same?  It was not like that.  It was great to see that everyeone was doing well, but not all that fun to know that we are not what we were.

This past Sunday I went to brunch with one of my friends from high school, and it was like that.  We've just drifted apart.  When we were young, we partied like crazy, and that was what we had in common.  Now that we're both "grown ups" (and sober,) we have nothing in common.  It just felt forced.

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 12:12 pm

This past Sunday I went to brunch with one of my friends from high school, and it was like that.  We've just drifted apart.  When we were young, we partied like crazy, and that was what we had in common.  Now that we're both "grown ups" (and sober,) we have nothing in common.  It just felt forced.

Exactly.  It's not that bad, either. I have new people in my life. I miss the times we had, but not really the people.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/14/06 at 12:48 pm

I have 3 of them that I still see. We've been together since we were 9 years old. Their kids play with my kids. One I went to school with, the other was my neighbor. We've been through thick and thin. They are the best bestfriends anyone could ever have. I have another one that I met after I graduated high school. So the 4 of us just pal around when we can, and we see each for holidays, birthdays, and just because days.

Written By: tv on 11/27/06 at 8:30 pm

Friends I went to High School with or to Middle or Elementary School with...to tell you the truth I don;t know what happen to them. I really never made an efoor to keep in touch with anybody. I would like to see a few people that I was friends with towards the end of High School but thats about it.

Written By: KKay on 11/27/06 at 8:32 pm

my mom ran into one of my old friends' mothers and gave her my email. 
i didn't hear from her yet, but i'd like to.
I'm so curious!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/28/06 at 12:53 am

Primary and High School:  One wound in the military, still alive, still enjoying his work and doing good by his friends.  Good on him.  Two got married to each other and wound up with three kids, and I'm about 2 years overdue in terms of getting in touch to figure out what happened to 'em.  Fact that they stayed together long enough to have 3 kids is good enough by me.  They done good.

College:  20 or so I've stayed in touch with via email.  One I've been out of touch with for a couple of years and would like to know she made good.  Other I've lost touch with, but Google tells me she made good.  Rest can die in a fire fer all I care.

Work:  Stayed in touch with everyone that mattered, and the ones that I liked made good, and the ones that were jerks, mismanaged their companies into bankruptcy.  I'm happy with that outcome.

Self:  Be silly if I left myself out of the equation, wouldn't it.  I made good too.  Yeah, I'd do it all over again.  Nuff said.

Check for new replies or respond here...