inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The rules/agreement. Anyone ever read that? Maybe it needs simplification?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 9:12 am

I was looking it over, and while it does cover everything, maybe the format could be cleaned up a little?

I was thinking something like:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

could become more like this:

Don't be a jerk
Don't post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

No piracy
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.

No spam
Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

more of a simple statement with further explanation type of arrangment.

Subject: Re: The rules/agreement. Anyone ever read that? Maybe it needs simplification?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 9:14 am

maybe also:

But Clinton....
Don't bring up mistakes others have made to explain your own misdeeds.

Subject: Re: The rules/agreement. Anyone ever read that? Maybe it needs simplification?

Written By: karen on 11/10/06 at 9:16 am

Is there any particular area of the rules which you think people are having a problem understanding?  Maybe that bit just needs more of a rewrite? 

edited to add: having just looked at the rules again they are quite long and probably the sort of thing I would generally skip over in all honesty.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 9:26 am

Is there any particular area of the rules which you think people are having a problem understanding?  Maybe that bit just needs more of a rewrite? 

I think the "don't be a jerk" portion

edited to add: having just looked at the rules again they are quite long and probably the sort of thing I would generally skip over in all honesty.

which is what I'm thinking as well.  I think if I take more of a powerpoint type of view to it, it might get read a little more.  At least the high points.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 9:50 am

I've read these rules when I first joined (How good of a kid I was!), but I honestly don't remember reading about copyright laws. Does this mean we're not allowed to post some of these pictures that we've been posting from other websites!? :o.... Oops.

Written By: Apricot on 11/10/06 at 11:27 am

I think they should be simplified.. I actually did read them thoroughly, but I daresay I probably missed a good deal of the meat because it was hidden in all that jargon. The new one you have looks good to me.. although you should define spam.. because to some people, anything with more than just the word "WEINER!" isn't spam.. I knew a guy who posted at a forum once, and all he would say in every post was "Yeah, I agree!" or "No.", and he had a few thousand posts.. that's spam, in my eyes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/06 at 11:28 am

Pictures or jpgs are copyrighted too!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 12:21 pm

ok.  I updated them.  I removed the copyright bit, I think the original intent had something to do with people sharing mp3s, but no one really does that openly here.  If it becomes an issue, I'll put something in there again.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 12:24 pm

ok.  I updated them.  I removed the copyright bit, I think the original intent had something to do with people sharing mp3s, but no one really does that openly here.  If it becomes an issue, I'll put something in there again.

Say... Does anybody here have "And Darling" by Tegan and Sara? I'll trade you for my whole MP3 library!

Heh... Just kidding! Don't ban me!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 12:52 pm

Say... Does anybody here have "And Darling" by Tegan and Sara? I'll trade you for my whole MP3 library!

Heh... Just kidding! Don't ban me!

I'm actually missing my mp3 of "walking with the ghost"... but I'm sure I can find it without trading my whole 2 terabyte collection for it

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 12:52 pm

I'm actually missing my mp3 of "walking with the ghost"... but I'm sure I can find it without trading my whole 2 terabyte collection for it

I actually have that mp3, and I'd gladly give it to you for free, if it weren't for the revision of the rules at stake.

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/10/06 at 2:03 pm

I've read them quite a few times - when I first joined, and at other times.  I usually re-read them if I feel a post needs to be reported before I do so.

That being said, is my sigline/posts about my radio show in violation?  ???  I'll remove them if need be.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 2:17 pm

I've read them quite a few times - when I first joined, and at other times.  I usually re-read them if I feel a post needs to be reported before I do so.

That being said, is my sigline/posts about my radio show in violation?  ???  I'll remove them if need be.

nah, I don't care about signatures.  It's not the content of your post. 

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 2:38 pm

How about no discussing politics and religion...?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 2:38 pm

How about no discussing politics and religion...?  ???

Why would Chucky say we can't talk about something he made a board for?

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 2:45 pm

Why would Chucky say we can't talk about something he made a board for?

Sometimes it can get into a heated arguement.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 2:46 pm

Sometimes it can get into a heated arguement.

People have gotten into heated arguments over practically every subject on practically every board. 

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 2:48 pm

People have gotten into heated arguments over practically every subject on practically every board. 

Yeah you have a point there.

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/10/06 at 2:49 pm

nah, I don't care about signatures.  It's not the content of your post. 

Thanks.  Should I remove the posts about my show?

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 2:54 pm

Thanks.  Should I remove the posts about my show?

What show was that?

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/06 at 2:59 pm

What show was that?

The Peep Show you were giving for 25c a minute ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 3:01 pm

The Peep Show you were giving for 25c a minute ;D

I don't give peep shows,I give poop shows

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/06 at 3:04 pm

What do you charge for those? lol

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 3:05 pm

What do you charge for those? lol

A piece of crap ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/10/06 at 3:07 pm

That's gross, but Karamel to you anyway b/c it's funny.  ;D

Posts like this about my live mixshow.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 3:10 pm

That's gross, but Karamel to you anyway b/c it's funny.  ;D

Posts like this about my live mixshow.

What's Karamel?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 3:32 pm

What's Karamel?

Karma.  Chucky edited the tags.  Karamel Sutra is the name of a Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor.

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/06 at 3:46 pm

A piece of crap ;D

That deal stinks

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 3:48 pm

That deal stinks

Yeah, I know. Seriously. Why would you go to a show for the thing you paid for? That's like paying a snail shell to see a snail shell collection.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 4:19 pm

Karma.  Chucky edited the tags.  Karamel Sutra is the name of a Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor.

I thought it was a new sex position

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 4:20 pm

Uhhh no....you were probably thinking about the Kama Sutra.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 4:31 pm

Uhhh no....you were probably thinking about the Kama Sutra.

Yeah,my bad

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 4:32 pm

Yeah,my bad

I thought it was a clever play on that, actually.  Good on Chucky.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/06 at 4:34 pm

I spit out my drink in laughter after reading this ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 4:35 pm

I spit out my drink in laughter after reading this ;D

I bet you that was funny too ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/06 at 6:13 pm

Thanks.  Should I remove the posts about my show?

no.  they're fine.

Maybe the statement in the rules is too broad.  I'm trying to avoid people posting spam, but it's kind of hard to define everything that is spam. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/10/06 at 6:40 pm

no.  they're fine.

Maybe the statement in the rules is too broad.  I'm trying to avoid people posting spam, but it's kind of hard to define everything that is spam. 

Understood.  And thanks.  :)

Oh, and I'll be taking over the airwaves of Renegade Retro in about two hours.  Tune in!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...