inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you comfortable in your skin?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 5:27 pm

Are you happy with what life has dealt you regarding how you look, what kind of person you are, etc?

Subject: Re: Are you comfortable in your skin?

Written By: Apricot on 11/10/06 at 5:34 pm

Not at all.. in fact, I don't think anyone's comfortable with who I am.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 5:36 pm

Not at all.. in fact, I don't think anyone's comfortable with who I am.

see, I feel that way about myself sometimes too.  On the outside (most of the time) though, I appear to be a happy person...but inside I am depressed a lot.  I get angry that I can't be someone different sometimes. It's very rare that I am pleased with myself...I am very hard on myself. :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/10/06 at 5:41 pm

I feel better about myself now that I'm older.  Would I like to be 5'9" and a size 6...YES!!  But I'm not and I'll never be, so I have to work with what I got...5'4" and a size 14 (YIKES!!).  LOL!!  Do I wish I didn't look like my mother from behind (flat rear-end!!)...YES!!  I can't change it...well if I had a few thousand bucks I could but would I?  I don't think so.

There are few things about my personality I would change, I wish I could relax more easily and I wish I didn't worry about everything.  Overall, I know I'm a good person.  I'm happy with that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/06 at 5:45 pm

I am. It took me a long time to realize that I am a good person. There was a time when I didn't think I was good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, etc. etc. Of course it does help that there is someone who constinately reminds me when those old feelings start popping up again. Sure there are things about myself that I don't like but overall, I am very happy with my life and I am very happy with who I am as a person.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/06 at 5:46 pm

My skin is fine, it is my bones I worry about.

Written By: spaceace on 11/10/06 at 5:48 pm

I'm pretty comfortable.  I'm much too lazy to think of how I could be. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/10/06 at 5:50 pm

I would have to say yes.  I too, have had times where I wasn't happy with myself, but I think we all feel that way sometimes.  And I think it's the difficulties in your life that make you who you are.  If we were happy all the time, and everything was perfect, we would never appreciate the good that we have.  And we would never become stronger, wiser, or kinder.  It's the hard parts of life that teach us the most.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/10/06 at 6:17 pm

Are you happy with what life has dealt you regarding how you look, what kind of person you are, etc?

Nope.  Looks-wise I will ALWAYS be dissatisfied.  In terms of the kind of person I am.....the people who really know me, know what kind of person I am and that's all the counts.  People who don't know and pass judgement can go straight to scratch.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/10/06 at 7:21 pm

Nope.  Looks-wise I will ALWAYS be dissatisfied.  In terms of the kind of person I am.....the people who really know me, know what kind of person I am and that's all the counts.  People who don't know and pass judgement can go straight to scratch.
This about sums it up for me as well.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 7:27 pm

see, I feel that way about myself sometimes too.  On the outside (most of the time) though, I appear to be a happy person...but inside I am depressed a lot.  I get angry that I can't be someone different sometimes. It's very rare that I am pleased with myself...I am very hard on myself. :-\\

I find in situations like this, it's fun to act like somebody else, only for a short while.

I like this one Ben Folds quote that these discussions always make me think of... "Everywhere I go- Damn, there I am..."

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 8:11 pm

I find in situations like this, it's fun to act like somebody else, only for a short while.

I like this one Ben Folds quote that these discussions always make me think of... "Everywhere I go- Damn, there I am..."

totally off subject...but speaking of Ben Folds....they do the songs from that new movie, "Over the Hedge"...Vaughn LOVES them!! He had me download the song, "Rockin' The Suburbs" and he jams out to it all the time! ;D :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 8:12 pm

totally off subject...but speaking of Ben Folds....they do the songs from that new movie, "Over the Hedge"...Vaughn LOVES them!! He had me download the song, "Rockin' The Suburbs" and he jams out to it all the time! ;D :D

XD That would be where Vaughn learns those "blue words" you complain about. :P

By the way, almost the whole "Rockin' the Suburbs" album is entirely Ben Folds playing... Kinda cool, eh?

Written By: Matthias on 11/10/06 at 8:22 pm

I honestly don't give a damn how I look, I mean I work basically off personallity that I can change easilly to fit the needs of the person I care about, looks... If a person doesn't like how I look, and can't over look it with their opinions of me, screw them. Who needs them? I'm fine with the way I look, it's personallity that matters not looks.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 8:22 pm

XD That would be where Vaughn learns those "blue words" you complain about. :P

By the way, almost the whole "Rockin' the Suburbs" album is entirely Ben Folds playing... Kinda cool, eh?

Ya, I really like Ben Folds! ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/10/06 at 8:43 pm

Last time I found someone who wasn't comfortable in his own skin, he was trying on someone else's, and muttering things about the proper relationship between the lotion, the skin, the hose, and the farking basket.

(Last thing he ever ate was fava beans, and at this very moment he's having a nice chianti.)

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 11/10/06 at 8:43 pm

hell yea i would love to run around naked if i could

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/06 at 9:04 pm

dude, Tim...I would love to have your courage! ;) ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/10/06 at 9:09 pm

Well I guess I have to don't I? This is the skin I was given at birth, so if I don't feel comfortable in it, then tough...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/10/06 at 9:16 pm

I'm learning to be. I have my good days, and my bad, but one of my friends has really been teaching me that beauty is in it's flaws. Though that might sound cliche', it's true. I basically agree with that Ash posted.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/10/06 at 9:31 pm

I'm learning to be. I have my good days, and my bad, but one of my friends has really been teaching me that beauty is in it's flaws. Though that might sound cliche', it's true. I basically agree with that Ash posted.

'Tis true! Nat can be a beautiful thinker sometimes.

Written By: Jessica on 11/10/06 at 9:33 pm

Not in the least. I'm working on it though.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/06 at 5:21 pm

I'm pretty comfortable in my skin even though I've had many problems in my life.

Written By: Abix on 11/12/06 at 8:07 pm

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm never gonna be a size 7 anymore.  That being said, I've learned to accept myself as I am . I'm about 100 lbs bigger than when I was in Highschool, but I've become more confident with age. I've learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I find individuality is far more beautiful than cookie cutter trends. I do have days where I feel ugly and hate myself. But for the most part, I'd say I'm far more happy with myself now than when I could fit into my size 7 jeans.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/12/06 at 8:12 pm

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm never gonna be a size 7 anymore.  That being said, I've learned to accept myself as I am . I'm about 100 lbs bigger than when I was in Highschool, but I've become more confident with age. I've learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I find individuality is far more beautiful than cookie cutter trends. I do have days where I feel ugly and hate myself. But for the most part, I'd say I'm far more happy with myself now than when I could fit into my size 7 jeans.

I really, really admire that! ;)

Written By: Abix on 11/12/06 at 8:18 pm

I really, really admire that! ;)

beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and colors and ages and sexes.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/12/06 at 8:24 pm

I didn't used to be comfortable with myself, and I used to seek out relationships that took advantage of that.  I'd feel like I had to buy people's affection.  It really wasn't until I met my second husband whose advice was mind-blowing "Act as if".    It was very enlightening.

Act as if you are such and such and eventually you will be.
Act as if you are confident and comfortable and fill in the blank.

It helps that he does not insult me even in the slightest of ways.

So, I can finally say that I am comfortable with myself.  If I want to change something, it is only because losing weight would be healthier for me (and would probably help my diabetes), not because I'd like to fit into a size 10.

Written By: Abix on 11/12/06 at 9:46 pm

Last time I found someone who wasn't comfortable in his own skin, he was trying on someone else's, and muttering things about the proper relationship between the lotion, the skin, the hose, and the farking basket.

(Last thing he ever ate was fava beans, and at this very moment he's having a nice chianti.)

actually those were two different people :P  Buffalo Bill was the first one. Hannibal Lecter was the fava beans and a nice chianti.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/06 at 2:09 am

most of the time, yes, I am comfortable in my skin, always have been, even when I was dirt poor,not working, no girl, no job, no place of my own, not much going for me at all, yet I always seemed to still have a smile in life. Today my situation has improved beyond all I could have hoped for and yet I still want more, more, more and that's one of my weaknesses. I've got flaws, imperfections both inside and out that I am not comfortable with but try not to let it bother me and accept who I am, & what I've become and try to be the best I can in all areas of my life. I heard a baseball coach once say there's no point in dwelling on what we don't have, but instead trying to do the best with what we've got.  8)

Written By: Gis on 11/15/06 at 4:04 am

On the whole yes, but like everyone I have bad days  where I wish I was thinner, prettier, younger but it passes. As a confirmed shopper I have recently been lamenting some of the clothes I can no longer buy because I'm too old to get away with it anymore!
I guess age has kind of hit me recently at work when I see myself being passed over for promotion because I'm not only the wrong sex but also 10 years too old. >:( 

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/15/06 at 10:07 am

Of course, beauty is an opinion thing. For example, I've been told by the media to think that Pamela Anderson is hot, but I think she looks like a monster. o_O

Written By: Howard on 11/15/06 at 4:48 pm

I wish I could,I'd get arrested.

Written By: Gis on 11/15/06 at 4:49 pm

Bless you Howard.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 11/15/06 at 4:54 pm

Well, I've got plenty of skin, so I should be comfortable in it!

But sadly, if it's the general run of things you're after, I'm not 100% happy with me...

If my Ma had kept her receipt, I could have got some bits changed!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/15/06 at 5:03 pm

There are a few things I'm not thrilled with 'appearance-wise', but overall I'd say that for the most part I'm pretty comfortable in my skin...

Written By: Howard on 11/15/06 at 5:03 pm

Bless you Howard.  ;D

I would try that someday

Check for new replies or respond here...