inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Christmas Gifts

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 2:36 pm

This is a bit of an extention of Ash's thread with the holiday questionire. Everyone seems to have a long list of gifts they have had over the years, this will be a great place to reminisce about them.

I remember one year I wanted a Dancerina doll-but so did 2 of my sisters. Well, my parents did get a Dancerina doll but the three of us had to share her.  :\'(  (They couldn't afford to buy 3 of them). One my sister's still have her but she has definitely seen better days-because she was so loved by 3 girls.

When I was 1st grade, I was "in love" with this boy at school. He was really into Hot Wheels. So, I asked Santa for Hot Wheels. He did get them for me but I had to wait about a week before I could play with them after my dad and brother got through playing with them.  >:(    :D ;D ;D

When I was 13, I wanted 3 gift-the game Battleship, the 45 of Diana Ross's Theme to Mahogany, and a basketball. I got all three and I was happier than a pig in ____ (well, you know  ;) ).

When I was 16, I wanted a corvette (of course I didn't have my license but that didn't stop me from wanting the car). My parents actually bought me a '59 vette.  :o :o  (Of course they forgot to get me the glue so that I could put it together.  :D ;D ;D Yup, it was just a model-oh well.)

That same year, we had to get up early because we were going to my sister's in-laws for Christmas and needed to get an early start. My step-father had this thing that you had to drink a glass of orange juice BEFORE opening gifts. As I went into the kitchen with barely one eye open, I glanced into the livingroom. I saw someone sitting in the corner chair. When I got into the kitchen, there was my mother and my step-father and I couldn't figure out who was in the livingroom. After drinking my glass of o.j. I went into the livingroom and found out who was sitting in that chair. It was a HUGH stuffed gorilla who I named George (after Curious George). And yes, I still have George.  ;D

What are some of your favorite Christmas gifts?

Cat

Subject: Re: Favorite Christmas Gifts

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/22/06 at 2:40 pm

A diamond necklace from my father last year, for graduating from college.

The year before that, my sister bought me Dior Addict, a perfume I really wanted. 

Written By: spaceace on 11/22/06 at 2:48 pm

My favorite Christmas gifts were "The Monkees".  In December of 2000 I got to see both Davy Jones and Peter Tork preform. :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/06 at 2:54 pm

Christmas 1984 - My brother and I got an Atari 7800, and a bunch of games for it (Food Fight, Ms. Pac-Man, and a bunch others ..).  We had so much fun playing it .. 22 years later, I still have fun playing it

In the early 80s, I got a Hot Wheels playset complete with several Hot Wheels cars, and a set of Hot Wheels like Dukes of Hazzard cars (General Lee, Policecar, Boss' Convertible, and Daisy's Dixie Jeep).  I also got a bunch of those interlocking track pieces, so I could build my own race track 8)

In the early-mid 80s, I got some Masters of the Universe figures complete with Snake Mountain Playset.  I had alot of fun with that playset, because the snake portion doubled as a microphone that I could use to ward off He-Man and his army ;D  In the mid 80s, I got a bunch of those LJN Wrestling figures (Paul Orndorff, Hulk Hogan, Terry Funk, Jake Roberts, and others ...) complete with plastic wrestling ring.  Unfortunately, the ring was not built to last, and years later, the bottom ended up cracking cause of too many pile drivers  :\'(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/06 at 2:56 pm

When I was in Kindergarten, I saw this "real baby" at a department store, and wanted it very badly, but even then knew that it was expensive and I probably couldn't have him.  He was under the tree that year, along with a real car seat for him and a bunch of clothes and stuff.  I just couldn't believe it.  I still have him.

In first grade I got a cabbage patch kid (again, I didn't think I'd get one) and a hula hoop.  I was thrilled to death with both of them.

Those are the two that stand out the most.  Since I met my husband, I've gotten some really fabulous gifts - jewelry, perfume, clothes.  He spoils me rotten, and I sometimes feel like a kid again on Christmas morning!   :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/06 at 2:58 pm

In the early 80s, I got a Hot Wheels playset complete with several Hot Wheels cars, and a set of Hot Wheels like Dukes of Hazzard cars (General Lee, Policecar, Boss' Convertible, and Daisy's Dixie Jeep).  I also got a bunch of those interlocking track pieces, so I could build my own race track 8)

Was it a yellow race track that did loop de loops?  I got one of those one year and I loved it! 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/22/06 at 3:08 pm

A pair of gold loop earrings that my parents gave me 22 years ago... :)

Written By: Howard on 11/22/06 at 3:12 pm

I think it was a sweater or a necktie

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/06 at 3:48 pm

Was it a yellow race track that did loop de loops?  I got one of those one year and I loved it! 

It did have loop de loops yes, but it was orange.  I used to have to hold the track up with my hand to get a good angle for the car to slide down so it could go through the loops.  lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 4:07 pm

It did have loop de loops yes, but it was orange.  I used to have to hold the track up with my hand to get a good angle for the car to slide down so it could go through the loops.  lol

I had those bright orange tracks, too but I didn't have the loop de loops  :\'(  I also remember holding the track up with my hand (or proped up against something) to get them to go.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/06 at 4:13 pm

My Cabbage Patch Doll...I was SO excited to get one....I didn't get one right away like everyone else seemed to do...so it was extra special when I found mine on Christmas morning.

The clubhouse that my (now deceased) grandpap built for us (and he and like 8 guys had to transport from his house to our house...late christmas eve night, so that it would be ready for us to see on Christmas morning).  It was so neat...brown/white stucco...with a door/window....we had many memories in that house.

A motorized Jeep that I got when I was around 5 or so years old. I loved that thing!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/22/06 at 7:51 pm

Childhood - She-Ra castle (1985), Barbie Mansion (1986), certain baby dolls, etc. I remember one year my brother got a Polaroid camera and I got this make-believe wedding dress outfit and he took pictures of me in it. I just don't know where those went. They were really cute.

Adulthood - Beatles Anthology CD (1995), Color TV (1992), Barbie Mansion #2 (1991), Stereo System (1999), Digital camera (2005), Record Player (2003), etc.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/22/06 at 7:52 pm

Childhood - She-Ra castle (1985), Barbie Mansion (1986), certain baby dolls, etc. I remember one year my brother got a Polaroid camera and I got this make-believe wedding dress outfit and he took pictures of me in it. I just don't know where those went. They were really cute.

Adulthood - Beatles Anthology CD (1995), Color TV (1992), Barbie Mansion #2 (1991), Stereo System (1999), Digital camera (2005), Record Player (2003), etc.

I thought the Beatles Anthology came out in '97 for some reason.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/22/06 at 7:56 pm

I thought the Beatles Anthology came out in '97 for some reason.

The first came out in December of 1995, the second in March of 1996.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/22/06 at 8:29 pm

Getting a Eldon slot car race track in 1968 was so exciting, because my mom had to order it from a catalog, and they screwed up and sent 2 sets or she screwed up and ordered 2 by mistake, either way i kept them both and had twice as much track to race on. I set it all up and had so much fun racing the electric cars around the figure eight and other unusually designed roads I created.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:31 pm

Getting a Eldon slot car race track in 1968 was so exciting, because my mom had to order it from a catalog, and they screwed up and sent 2 sets or she screwed up and ordered 2 by mistake, either way i kept them both and had twice as much track to race on. I set it all up and had so much fun racing the electric cars around the figure eight and other unusually designed roads I created.

Aww...I could just picture little Mikey playing with his race cars...so cute! ;)

Written By: pink daisy on 01/01/07 at 7:04 pm

My beloved iPod Nano which I got last year, and I simply could not live without.  What did I do before it came into my life?

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/01/07 at 7:17 pm

As a kid it would have to be a Barbie pool and my Cabbage Patch doll.

As an adult...it's the massage cushion I got this year, I don't want to get out of this chair!!

Written By: Southern Image on 01/01/07 at 8:45 pm

My favorite gift is my new digital camera. But out of my daughters gifts , it's Connect 4. We've playing that almost every day.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/07 at 8:56 pm

My favorite gift is my new digital camera. But out of my daughters gifts , it's Connect 4. We've playing that almost every day.
My daughter Julie had/has that game, and we used to play it and her favorite was Guess Who. Does your daughter have that one?  little Julie is 17 now, and we don't play it anymore  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Southern Image on 01/01/07 at 9:46 pm

My daughter Julie had/has that game, and we used to play it and her favorite was Guess Who. Does your daughter have that one?  little Julie is 17 now, and we don't play it anymore  :\'(  :\'(
I used to play Guess Who with my little cousin. I almost bought my daughter that one as well. I have no idea why I didn't.  :-\\ I guess next year I will pick it up

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/07 at 10:08 pm

I used to play Guess Who with my little cousin. I almost bought my daughter that one as well. I have no idea why I didn't.  :-\\ I guess next year I will pick it up
they're all fun games and I sure do miss playing em'.. She still has all her games stacked on the shelf in her closet.  Candyland, Operation, Hi Ho Cherry-O, Hungry Hippos.  She sure has a lot more than i did as a kid  >:(

Written By: Southern Image on 01/01/07 at 10:12 pm

they're all fun games and I sure do miss playing em'.. She still has all her games stacked on the shelf in her closet.  Candyland, Operation, Hi Ho Cherry-O, Hungry Hippos.  She sure has a lot more than i did as a kid  >:(

Pull them out and play with them, when no one is looking  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/07 at 10:16 pm

Pull them out and play with them, when no one is looking  ;D
dang  :o  why didn't i think of that?  that's a good idea.I'd be interested to see her reaction to catch me playing her games. I may do that  ;D.  I'm so bad, when we used to play games or card games, I'd always try to stack the cards or the game to her advantage so she could beat me. I'd always let her win, although sometimes she would win no matter what.

Check for new replies or respond here...