inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Sinterklaas on December 5th to our members from the Netherlands

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/30/06 at 11:46 pm

I believe this would be you, Henk.

Happy Sinterklass.

For those people that may not know what this holiday is:
While other countries celebrate Saint Nicholas during Christmas, in the Netherlands and Belgium he is commemorated on 5 December (Netherlands), or 6 December (Belgium).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

In the Netherlands, Sint Nicolaas, Sinterklaas' eve is the occasion for gift-giving, when his alleged birthday

Subject: Re: Happy Sinterklaas on December 5th to our members from the Netherlands

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/06 at 12:07 am

Happy Sinterklaas :)

December 5 is awesome 8)

Subject: Re: Happy Sinterklaas on December 5th to our members from the Netherlands

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/01/06 at 12:51 am

Happy Sinterklass to our Netherland brothers and sisters (Henk)  :)

Written By: Gis on 12/01/06 at 1:34 am

My Mum is running a Saint Nikolas fair tomorrow. We always celebrated the good saint at home because my Mum is half dutch. We put our slippers outside our bedroom door at night and when we woke up there would be a new pair with a chocolate letter and a satsuma in them or sometimes christmas biscuits (cookies).

Written By: Gis on 12/01/06 at 1:35 am

Just be good or Black Peter will come and put you in his sack!  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/01/06 at 1:43 am

For Henk, our Nederlandic agent-on-remote:

I give you an International Holiday Greeting!

Happy Sinterklaas!
Joyeux Noel!
Feliz Navidad!
Buon Natale!
Sretan Kraasmit!
Merry Christmas!
Erry-may Istmas-cray!
...And like that!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/01/06 at 8:36 am

My Mum is running a Saint Nikolas fair tomorrow. We always celebrated the good saint at home because my Mum is half dutch. We put our slippers outside our bedroom door at night and when we woke up there would be a new pair with a chocolate letter and a satsuma in them or sometimes christmas biscuits (cookies).

we always had that tradition when we were little too. We would put one of our shoes outside our door...and when we woke up...there was a small gift and a treat in them. I used to always love getting those candy coins (chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil).

Written By: spaceace on 12/01/06 at 11:44 am

I've got to put my shoe out the night of the fifth.  Maybe Saint Nicholas will be good to me this year.  I'm out of gum. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/05/09 at 10:07 am

Just bumping the thread for the occasion is today!

Written By: Henk on 12/05/09 at 10:49 am

Thanks Patty. :)

Wow, three years ago already... how time flies!

Yes, tonight's the night (once again). We won't be celebrating much tonight, though. A little get together, hot cocoa, a few small gifts maybe...
Next year will be bigger, hopefully.

Written By: karen on 12/05/09 at 4:02 pm

Hope you have a nice evening Henk

Written By: Howard on 12/05/09 at 6:48 pm

Happy Sinterklass.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/09 at 2:36 pm

Just bumping the thread for the occasion is today!

thank you!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/06/09 at 11:25 pm

Yes, tonight's the night (once again). We won't be celebrating much tonight, though. A little get together, hot cocoa, a few small gifts maybe...
Next year will be bigger, hopefully.

Hey, as long as we're talking about European Christmas traditions, how widely-spread across Europe is Krampus?  Or was he a uniquely German phenomenon?

(I always got a kick out of Krampus... Rather than having Santa merely withhold presents from the naughty, he had an opponent who actively dished out the badness :)

Check for new replies or respond here...