inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Was Your Best Christmas Ever, What Was your Worst?

Written By: loki 13 on 12/12/06 at 4:22 pm

I was thinking about this today and I was wondering, what  was my best and worst Christmas?

My Best Christmas was two years ago, I know you would think it was when I was a kid, but it wasn't.
After my worst Christmas, more on that in a bit, My wife and I promised each other we wouldn't exchange
gifts, instead we would make sure the kids had gifts. Two years ago some side jobs paid well so I was
able to buy my wife a pair of 1 carat, marquis cut, diamond earrings and a cashmere sweater. The look on
her face and the tear in her eye made it the best Christmas ever.

The worst Christmas was in 1987. I just started working as an apprentice for the Sheet Metal Workers and
wasn't making much money, only $4.93 an hour. After my Daughters opened their few gifts, my oldest
asked me, " Is that all?" Those three words cut deeper than any knife could. I wasn't mad at my daughter
but I hated myself for not being able to give them more. I swore I would never hear those words again.
This is where my wife and I promised not to exchange gifts with each other and we didn't until two years
ago. My financial situation wasn't much better in 1988 but I wasn't going to hear those words. I had to
employ the services of a usurer, not my proudest moment but we do what we must.

Subject: Re: What Was Your Best Christmas Ever, What Was your Worst?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/12/06 at 4:26 pm

I don't think I've ever had an outstanding Christmas experience or a really bad one, to be honest.  They're all pretty much the same.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/06 at 4:42 pm

I had a lot of bad ones. When I was married to my first husband, he would hand me a paper bag full of "stuff" and say, "Here, wrap this but don't look at it."  ::)  Stupid me did what he wanted so I was basically wrapping my own presents. There was one year when I spent the entire day alone. At first I thought it was going to be so lonely but actually I quite enjoyed it. I spent the day reading Dickens (when I wasn't on the phone with family members who called).

The best (not including when I was a kid) were from 1998 until now-when I moved in with Carlos. I felt like I was part of a family again (something I haven't felt in decades). But, I think the over all best was in 1999-the first time he took me to Puerto Rico-it was also the first time I met his dad. We stop exchanging gifts a few years ago. We will usually get something together (one year it was the Dish, another year it was a DVD Recorder, etc. etc.) This year we haven't really planned on any joint gift-there really isn't anything we want or need-except each other. This year will just be the two of us (since the kids are all going to be in Puerto Rico). So, it will be a peaceful time and of course the best gift I EVER got was the love of one man who makes my life wonderful.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/06 at 4:47 pm

All my Christmases have pretty much been equal, but as for a worst Christmas ... i guess a few years ago, when my dad didn't really like the gifts that I got him for Christmas.  He exchanged pretty much all of them, which is OK.  I never really know what to get him anyway.  He's so old fashioned.  My brother and I often joke about it each year now saying "Are you gonna get Dad more junk this year?" lol

Nowadays, I usually just get him boxes of chocolate cherries or some old western movies on DVD, cause I know he atleast likes those

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 8:00 pm

The best Christmas times were ones that were spent with my family, during my childhood. During that time, all of our cousins/aunts/uncles/grandparents, etc...would all be at my grandma & grandpap's house.

I really don't have a horrible Christmas experience....but I would have to say that after my grandpap passed away, that was really sad. It's sad to think that my other grandparents are getting older too...I'm not looking forward to celebrating holidays without them. :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/12/06 at 8:50 pm

The worst was in 1993 when my brother passed away on the 16th.....then my boyfriend at the time cheated on me on Christmas night (after giving me a promise ring for Christmas....guess his promise was that he wasn't going to be faithful ::))

I'll have to think about the best one..... :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/12/06 at 8:52 pm

I don't think I ever had a bad Christmas, saddest was the Christmas after my mother passed away.

Best Christmas...can't pick one but since my children have been born Christmas is better than ever.  When you get older, Christmas isn't as exciting but now just seeing the look on my kids faces Christmas morning makes my heart melt.  It is just magical.  

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/12/06 at 8:58 pm

I don't think I ever had a bad Christmas, saddest was the Christmas after my mother passed away.

Best Christmas...can't pick one but since my children have been born Christmas is better than ever.  When you get older, Christmas isn't as exciting but now just seeing the look on my kids faces Christmas morning makes my heart melt.  It is just magical. 
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.    DAMMIT!!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/06 at 12:04 pm

The worst was in 1993 when my brother passed away on the 16th.....then my boyfriend at the time cheated on me on Christmas night (after giving me a promise ring for Christmas....guess his promise was that he wasn't going to be faithful ::))

I'll have to think about the best one..... :-\\

You reminded me of probably the worse (I guess I blocked it out) which was 1988. I am not going to go into details-let's just say that I wouldn't want to relive it.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...