inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What American accent do you have?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/15/06 at 1:02 pm

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

----

I've been told before I'm "Accent-less".

Subject: Re: What American accent do you have?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/06 at 1:12 pm

This is the result I got:

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

WAY, WAY off. And NO! I hate saying "pop"-it is SODA!!! (If they asked me how I pronouced "water", "coffee" or "dog",  I'm sure they say I am from "New Yowk".  :D :D

Cat

Written By: Davester on 12/15/06 at 1:16 pm

Inland North...

Same as Cat...

No, I don't say "pop" either.  I have a habit of calling all sodas "Coke"...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 1:27 pm

The West was my result.

Written By: KKay on 12/15/06 at 1:37 pm

The lilting and musical affect of the Staten Island, NY accent....
it's somewhere between Brooklyn and South Jersey; geographically, and aurally.

But now i'll try the link...

Written By: Step-chan on 12/15/06 at 2:08 pm

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/15/06 at 2:34 pm

Mine is The West...

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Written By: KKay on 12/15/06 at 2:40 pm

The lilting and musical affect of the Staten Island, NY accent....
it's somewhere between Brooklyn and South Jersey; geographically, and aurally.

But now i'll try the link...

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/15/06 at 3:52 pm

Inland North.  Which applies since I'm from Chicago.  w00t.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/15/06 at 4:50 pm

This quiz is right on, it could not have been more accurate. 

Your result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 4:56 pm

Well, I could've told you that! :P I have the same accent as those I've talked to on the phone from Pennsylvania... Besides Erin, apparently, but I couldn't tell...? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 5:02 pm

Well, I could've told you that! :P I have the same accent as those I've talked to on the phone from Pennsylvania... Besides Erin, apparently, but I couldn't tell...? ???

huh? what couldn't you tell? ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 5:10 pm

huh? what couldn't you tell? ???

When I talked to you (Though you only said a few sentences), you sounded like Beth and I?

Written By: spaceace on 12/15/06 at 5:36 pm

Inland North :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/15/06 at 6:26 pm

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Same result for me.

You would think that living in the South for almost 18 years I'd get a different result. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/15/06 at 6:33 pm

My result was "The Inland North", then when I went over it again, "Philadelphia." I have a "Northeastern" North Jersey accent, and I know that! This test was not on the money.

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/15/06 at 8:02 pm

Why yes...yes I do...  8)

Written By: Apricot on 12/15/06 at 8:21 pm

I have the most confusing accent ever.. it's halfway between this weird light Scottish accent and Canadian. Most confusing thing ever. I blame it to a lot of the musicians I listen to.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 2:54 pm

Same result for me.

You would think that living in the South for almost 18 years I'd get a different result. 

I was born and raised here and all of my family is from the South, and I got Midlands. Which is accurate. My dad says I sound Californian, actually(although I didn't get Western, but Western and Midland are extremely close) and several other people have told me the same thing.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 2:56 pm

My result was "The Inland North", then when I went over it again, "Philadelphia." I have a "Northeastern" North Jersey accent, and I know that! This test was not on the money.

Are you sure you took it correctly? It doesn't work if you don't say both words in each question out loud, the way you would normally say them to compare.

Written By: MLB on 12/16/06 at 7:37 pm

Easy going  CaliforniaEnglish...(Not Valley) influenced by my Indiana born mother.  I can make myself understood where ever I go, but sometimes the names of things are changed by locality.    we've talked about this difference someplace before.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/16/06 at 7:53 pm

Inland North, definitely makes sense for me.

Written By: 1993 on 12/18/06 at 4:42 pm

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
The Northeast

Philadelphia

The Midland

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

I don't have a heavy jersey accent, part of it has to do with living in New England for some time...maybe some of it has eroded. I know I can lapse into a "dawg" or "tawk" every so often.

I've never been mistaken for having a midwest accent though...never told at least. As in "ChiCAAAgo"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/18/06 at 6:03 pm

This quiz is right on, it could not have been more accurate. 

Your result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Stealing yet another thing from us, huh? lol, j/k ;) ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/18/06 at 9:41 pm

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>The Northeast</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 97%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island.  Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Philadelphia</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 87%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Inland North</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 85%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 60%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 58%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 38%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 18%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 2%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/18/06 at 9:42 pm

^ mmm, nice!  ;D

Thank you for taking the quiz. We hope you learned something useful. If the answer you got was way, way off what it should be, well, there's probably a reason for that, but we can't figure it out now.

Written By: Jessica on 12/19/06 at 1:37 am

Wow, I developed that accent fast. And yes, I do occasionally say "pop".

Written By: karen on 12/19/06 at 6:22 am

Just for a laugh I thought I'd try

Your result: The Northeast

Written By: spaceace on 12/19/06 at 10:55 am

Just for a laugh I thought I'd try

Your result: The Northeast

People from Connecticut and Rhode Island pronounce syllables that most don't.  It could be compared to a British accent in a way.  All those accents are very nice to listen too.  Just don't go to Massachusetts. (I hear they even have trouble understanding each other.) :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/19/06 at 11:18 am

Mine is The West...

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Same here.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/06 at 4:27 pm

Just don't go to Massachusetts. (I hear they even have trouble understanding each other.) :)

100% Boston accent here, but I knew that having been told many times. 

Written By: loki 13 on 12/19/06 at 4:49 pm

Stealing yet another thing from us, huh? lol, j/k ;) ;D

I work in North Philadelphia, doesn't that count for something?  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/19/06 at 8:11 pm

I work in North Philadelphia, doesn't that count for something?  ;D

haha yeah it does! lol - that's my old neighborhood and when I moved out of my parents' house after college, I moved to the Far Northeast.

Written By: Fred on 12/21/06 at 1:41 am

The West

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

Well actually I'm not from the US at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...