inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Channukah !!!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/06 at 7:01 pm

Happy Channukah to all our Jewish friends out there.  :)

Subject: Re: Happy Channukah !!!!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 7:02 pm

Thanks. I felt left out.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/15/06 at 7:03 pm

Shalom!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/15/06 at 8:47 pm

Happy Channukah!

Written By: Howard on 12/16/06 at 7:23 am

Thank You.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/16/06 at 10:29 am

Your welcome.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/06 at 12:01 pm

Happy Channukah !!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/06 at 12:04 pm

Happy Hanukah!  This year we are NOT lighting the candles  :\'( :\'( :\'(  because it seems that the stores around here doesn't realize that there are Jewish people around and didn't stock the Hanukah candles (and we didn't feel like taking a LONG trip just to pick some up). We are going into the "city" tomorrow so we may get some there-a few days late, but oh well.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/16/06 at 1:20 pm

Happy Channukah to All My Jewish Friends !!!!! :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 1:51 pm

Happy Hanukah!  This year we are NOT lighting the candles  :\'( :\'( :\'(  because it seems that the stores around here doesn't realize that there are Jewish people around and didn't stock the Hanukah candles (and we didn't feel like taking a LONG trip just to pick some up). We are going into the "city" tomorrow so we may get some there-a few days late, but oh well.

Cat

I got both my Menorah and candles from Yankee Candle (Believe it or not)  My biological father is Jewish so I'm kind of stuck between the Christmas and Hanukah celebrations.  Hope you get them.  Shalom and Happy Hanukah. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/06 at 2:04 pm

I got both my Menorah and candles from Yankee Candle (Believe it or not)  My biological father is Jewish so I'm kind of stuck between the Christmas and Hanukah celebrations.  Hope you get them.  Shalom and Happy Hanukah. :)

My father is also Jewish (though he does claim to be an atheist Jew who just joined the Society of Friends-the Quakers.  :D :D :D) And we always celebrated both. My grandmother is a practicing Jew. My brother and his kids are the only ones in the family who come close to practicing the religion. I light the candles to show respect of my Jewish heritage even though I am not a practicing Jew. BTW, I got my menorah in Jerusalem where I also got my Nativity scene, too.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 2:16 pm

My father is also Jewish (though he does claim to be an atheist Jew who just joined the Society of Friends-the Quakers.  :D :D :D) And we always celebrated both. My grandmother is a practicing Jew. My brother and his kids are the only ones in the family who come close to practicing the religion. I light the candles to show respect of my Jewish heritage even though I am not a practicing Jew. BTW, I got my menorah in Jerusalem where I also got my Nativity scene, too.

Cat

I just found out two years ago about my Jewish heritage.  My adopted parents weren't really sure if they were doing me a favor by telling me.  Although I'm told I'm not a Jew by a few Orthodox Jews I'm very much aware of my heritage.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/06 at 2:22 pm

I just found out two years ago about my Jewish heritage.  My adopted parents weren't really sure if they were doing me a favor by telling me.  Although I'm told I'm not a Jew by a few Orthodox Jews I'm very much aware of my heritage.

Yeah, I have been told that, too because in the Jewish religion, your mother has be Jewish in order for you to be Jewish. Though I have heard that recently, they (or at least some sects) have been changing that because they realize that there are a LOT of us (who's fathers were Jewish) and they want to increase their numbers.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 2:26 pm

Yeah, I have been told that, too because in the Jewish religion, your mother has be Jewish in order for you to be Jewish. Though I have heard that recently, they (or at least some sects) have been changing that because they realize that there are a LOT of us (who's fathers were Jewish) and they want to increase their numbers.

Cat

Considering the fact that I've been told I'm "Not White" and have had antisemetic remarks made to me someone should be conciderate enough to recognize that I am.  Of course then I get the statement of "We Jews don't give away our kids."  That was my mother's doing not my father's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/06 at 2:39 pm

Considering the fact that I've been told I'm "Not White" and have had antisemetic remarks made to me someone should be conciderate enough to recognize that I am.  Of course then I get the statement of "We Jews don't give away our kids."  That was my mother's doing not my father's.

I used to tell everyone that I was both Jewish and Christian and people used to say, "You can't be both." And I would respond, "Who says?" They didn't have an answer. (Of course today I am neither a Jew nor a Christian-I am a Pagan.  :D ;D ;D ) I have come to the conclusion that many people don't know what they are talking about. Whatever you feel is your identity, whether it be Jewish, Christian, white, black, purple or whatever, who am I to say otherwise. The next time someone says, "You are not ____", look them in the eye and say, "And what makes you an authority on what I am?"

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 2:50 pm

Cat

Because of this rule in halaka about being Jewish passing through the mother, I am technically Jewish. Even though I'm in reality only 1/8 Jewish. My mother's mother's mother was of Jewish descent(she wasn't raised as one though, her family had converted to Christianity and we didn't find out abour our Jewish roots until just a few years ago).

Happy Channukah to all of our practicing Jewish members. Which would basically be James, I think. :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/06 at 2:57 pm

Gee I did not realize there were so many Jewish members on the boards.  I knew that Howard is Jewish but am surprised otherwise.

Mozels to all, from a Roamin' Catholic!  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 3:01 pm

^Shalom!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/06 at 3:12 pm

Happy Channukah! :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 3:30 pm

Yeah, I have been told that, too because in the Jewish religion, your mother has be Jewish in order for you to be Jewish.
Cat

The same thing is in the Catholic faith.  If your mother is Catholic, then you are Catholic.

Written By: Marian on 12/16/06 at 3:37 pm

My brother in law is Jewish and sometimes we celebrate hannukah if it's at the right time.He also celebrates christmas.

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 3:40 pm

My brother in law is Jewish and sometimes we celebrate hannukah if it's at the right time.He also celebrates christmas.

Some Jewish people celebrate Christmas as a holiday, but not as a religious holiday. . . unless if you're a Messianic Jew.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/06 at 7:50 pm

The same thing is in the Catholic faith.  If your mother is Catholic, then you are Catholic.

Actually you are not a Catholic until you are baptized. There is no Catholic "birth right".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 8:57 pm

Actually you are not a Catholic until you are baptized. There is no Catholic "birth right".

That's not what I've been told my whole life.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/06 at 5:16 am

That's not what I've been told my whole life.

You been told wrong.  Canon law #11 requires baptism in order to become a member of the Roamin' Catholic Church, that is why having a baptismal certificate is such a big deal.  Basically your official "membership card".

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/06 at 6:28 am

HAPPY CHANNUKAH TO ALL

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Hanukkah/TO_Hanukkah_Home/Dreidel/Dreidel_Rules_357_files/image004.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/17/06 at 6:48 am

HAPPY CHANNUKAH TO ALL

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Hanukkah/TO_Hanukkah_Home/Dreidel/Dreidel_Rules_357_files/image004.jpg

Thanks Danoota.  :)

Written By: Fred on 12/21/06 at 1:45 am

Yes happy Channukah to all!! My cousen's marrying a Jewish guy, so I'm a little more educated on the culture.  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/21/06 at 6:51 pm

Some Jewish people celebrate Christmas as a holiday, but not as a religious holiday. . . unless if you're a Messianic Jew.

Messianic Jews do not exist. It's a nice word for "convert." I also have a HUGE issue with Jews for Jesus and their advertising campaigns, because no other group gets singled out for conversion. And a whole host of other reasons.

I actually just found out my grandmother and grandfather never celebrated Chanukkah. Like most Jewish families back then, they just did nothing in the Christmas season. I may not celebrate it if I have kids when I grow up and just do nothing as well.

Written By: spaceace on 12/21/06 at 6:54 pm

Messianic Jews do not exist. It's a nice word for "convert." I also have a HUGE issue with Jews for Jesus and their advertising campaigns, because no other group gets singled out for conversion. And a whole host of other reasons.

I actually just found out my grandmother and grandfather never celebrated Chanukkah. Like most Jewish families back then, they just did nothing in the Christmas season. I may not celebrate it if I have kids when I grow up and just do nothing as well.

I went on a "Messianic Jew" website.  It wasn't much diffrent then one associated with Evangelical Christains.  It was pretty scary.

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/22/06 at 6:33 am

I went on a "Messianic Jew" website.  It wasn't much diffrent then one associated with Evangelical Christains.  It was pretty scary.

When I learned we were going to have a blackout for three days after the tornado hit our house, I was in a very, very angry mood. VERY ANGRY. And I heard an advertisement on my favorite classical radio station for "Jews for Jesus." They target that specific radio station, based out of Manhattan, because it has a very high number of Jewish listeners. I got their number off the radio, called them up, and SCREAMED at them (basically, you f*ckers, your ancestors would be rolling in their graves, at least be honest, target some other group who didn't have 6 million of us die, yadda yadda yadda.) It worked as an outlet very well  :)!

Written By: spaceace on 12/22/06 at 6:53 am

When I learned we were going to have a blackout for three days after the tornado hit our house, I was in a very, very angry mood. VERY ANGRY. And I heard an advertisement on my favorite classical radio station for "Jews for Jesus." They target that specific radio station, based out of Manhattan, because it has a very high number of Jewish listeners. I got their number off the radio, called them up, and SCREAMED at them (basically, you f*ckers, your ancestors would be rolling in their graves, at least be honest, target some other group who didn't have 6 million of us die, yadda yadda yadda.) It worked as an outlet very well  :)!

Apparently Evangelicals think it's a big trophy to convert a Jew.  I think it vile.  Evangelicals want possession of Israel spiritually and otherwise.  There's only one problem.  Israel is A Jewish State.  Jesus for Jews is just one of the ways they think they can do it.  Yep, it's discusting.

Check for new replies or respond here...