inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: History/Anthropology

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 7:17 pm

Are there any history/anthropology type majors on the boards, or do any of you know of anyone that has majored in these fields? I am wondering because I really want to go back to college and finish my degree, but I have been thinking for so long of what I really want to do...and I have always had a great love for history...all kinds, and also, I have always found the subject of anthropology to be very interesting. I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with either field, and what kinds of jobs have you/they produced within the field?

Subject: Re: History/Anthropology

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 7:23 pm

You know, a lot of History majors become teachers I think. I bet you'd make a really good teacher, Erin. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 7:25 pm

You know, a lot of History majors become teachers I think. I bet you'd make a really good teacher, Erin. :)

awww, thanks Alex..that's really sweet of you. I have actually thought of that....and I wouldn't mind doing that...but I would love to do more that maybe dealt with museum work, or research within the field, etc.  I just REALLY have always loved learning about history...it intrigues me to no end.

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 7:26 pm

I was a History Major until I found out the National Park Service was having financial trouble.  (I wanted to be a park ranger up at Gettysburg Battlefield)  Depending on what kind of job you want there's not much out there.  Anthropology as a career is very hard to get into.  (You have to be darn good and specialized.)  Since I can't really do what I want I'm forced to major in Paralegal.  So what exactly do you want to do with degree?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 7:28 pm

I was a History Major until I found out the National Park Service was having financial trouble.  (I wanted to be a park ranger up at Gettysburg Battlefield)  Depending on what kind of job you want there's not much out there.  Anthropology as a career is very hard to get into.  (You have to be darn good and specialized.)   Since I can't really do what I want I'm forced to major in Paralegal.  So what exactly do you want to do with degree?

I would really like to maybe get into museum work...or work somewhere that I can share/teach insight to people interested in the particular history.  Like I said, I wouldn't mind being a history teacher either....but besides that, I think I would like to do more within the field.

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 7:33 pm

I would really like to maybe get into museum work...or work somewhere that I can share/teach insight to people interested in the particular history.  Like I said, I wouldn't mind being a history teacher either....but besides that, I think I would like to do more within the field.

Depending on the size of the museum it is very possible to get a job fresh out of college or even while your still in.  History teacher is very do-able.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 9:06 pm

Depending on the size of the museum it is very possible to get a job fresh out of college or even while your still in.  History teacher is very do-able.

thanks for your advice!! :)

Written By: KKay on 12/17/06 at 7:03 am

I was an anthropology minor.  i could not decide what to do with myself and wanted badly to spend my time digging and studying languages- but i really wanted to go into museum work mostly.  I think the one thing it did for me was made me aware of how similar all people from all parts of the world are; made  me a much more tolerant person. I'm thankful for that. It also gave a depth to history that i enjoyed; I never was much for history but i liked it after i studied people and places for a while.
lastly, i think it forms a base for understanding so many other things. and it makes travel enjoyable.
ji'm glad i did the work I did; if you dont go into that field, you will at least benefit from taking some courses in that topic.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/06 at 8:01 am

Are there any history/anthropology type majors on the boards, or do any of you know of anyone that has majored in these fields? I am wondering because I really want to go back to college and finish my degree, but I have been thinking for so long of what I really want to do...and I have always had a great love for history...all kinds, and also, I have always found the subject of anthropology to be very interesting. I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with either field, and what kinds of jobs have you/they produced within the field?

Ever heard of Urban Archeology.  It is the study of urban areas, many in the not to distant past.  When construction is taking place these days in large cities, very often urban archeologists are called in to excavate and study the site before it is demolished.  It was that way that the found the Slaves Burial Ground in New York City in the nineties.  It can be very interesting for some one interested in History.  Give it a look, I find it fascinating.

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 8:54 am

I was majoring in History.

What are the main areas of History that you're interested in?

I was combining History and Poli-Sci/I.R. and essentially studying 20th century history in depth.

That kind of thing basically lands you a desk job with the CIA. If you enjoy teaching then you would want a very broad education in history, am I right?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/06 at 3:36 pm

I graduated "with honors" in History. And Carlos has his Ph.D. in History. There was a woman I went to school with who, after graduation worked in a museum. You could also work in libraries (college/public) as a historian. Governments (local, state & federal) need historians, also. But, as a history major you have to learn how to say, "Do you want fries with that?"  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/06 at 9:38 pm

Ever heard of Urban Archeology.  It is the study of urban areas, many in the not to distant past.  When construction is taking place these days in large cities, very often urban archaeologists are called in to excavate and study the site before it is demolished.  It was that way that the found the Slaves Burial Ground in New York City in the nineties.  It can be very interesting for some one interested in History.  Give it a look, I find it fascinating.

oh wow....that sounds like something that would be VERY interesting!! Thank you so much for suggesting this...I will definitely look further into it.

I was an anthropology minor.  i could not decide what to do with myself and wanted badly to spend my time digging and studying languages- but i really wanted to go into museum work mostly.  I think the one thing it did for me was made me aware of how similar all people from all parts of the world are; made  me a much more tolerant person. I'm thankful for that. It also gave a depth to history that i enjoyed; I never was much for history but i liked it after i studied people and places for a while.
lastly, i think it forms a base for understanding so many other things. and it makes travel enjoyable.
ji'm glad i did the work I did; if you dont go into that field, you will at least benefit from taking some courses in that topic.

I was majoring in History.

What are the main areas of History that you're interested in?

I was combining History and Poli-Sci/I.R. and essentially studying 20th century history in depth.

That kind of thing basically lands you a desk job with the CIA. If you enjoy teaching then you would want a very broad education in history, am I right?

I graduated "with honors" in History. And Carlos has his Ph.D. in History. There was a woman I went to school with who, after graduation worked in a museum. You could also work in libraries (college/public) as a historian. Governments (local, state & federal) need historians, also. But, as a history major you have to learn how to say, "Do you want fries with that?"  :D ;D ;D

Cat

thank you all for adding your input/expertise on the subject.  I just really want to do something that interests me...and history has always been an interest to me. I'm not even necessarily talking about AGES ago....even more recent history intrigues me. I guess I am just an "old soul" in this current world. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...