inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Personals, the quest begins for The Dude

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 2:09 pm

Okay so after mulling things over the past few days and really trying to get inside myself about this whole dating issue, and see what I truely feel, I think I've come to an important realisation for myself. And thats that whats important is being genuine and really getting to know someone. I've thought about things I want in life, my general outlook and come to the conclusion that the right attitude goes a long way.

So this is the profile description I wrote for myself on Yahoo! personals, I want feedback on it. There won't be any fussing or anything of the sort, I promise.

Headline: Lets take a chance

"The trick to life is enjoying it despite everything else. Thats what I try to live by, anyhow. I'm not unambitious though, I'm a gourmet and plan on owning my own restaurant some day. I'm relocating to the South Florida area with my family because of business oppurtunities. I'm a little reserved at first, but once I get to know you I'm a warm and easy going guy. I don't have any baggage from previous relationships so if you're trying to avoid drama look no further. I don't want to make up for anything in the past, I just want to enjoy the present and get to know new people.

I can enjoy hanging out at the house watching movies, listening to music, cooking etc. but I also really like to get out and have an adventure. I'm not into playing sports but I do like the outdoors. Driving down to Key Biscayne on a pleasant Saturday is very appealing to me. Traveling the world once I make my millions(ha!) is most definitely on my itinerary.

If this sounds good to you we should exchange e-mail and see where things go. No better time to live life than now. I'm not looking for a booty call, so don't worry about anything like that. I'm a perfectly respectable gentleman..within reason.  ;-)"

What do you guys think of it?

Subject: Re: Personals, the quest begins for The Dude

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/18/06 at 2:13 pm

I think it's great.  Good for you on the attitude shift.  I think you're headed in the right direction.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 2:16 pm

I think it's great.  Good for you on the attitude shift.  I think you're headed in the right direction.

Oh good. :)

So theres nothing in it that would turn you away if you were reading my profile and deciding whether or not to contact me?

I'm trying to make sure I'm communicating in the best way possible before I submit it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/18/06 at 2:22 pm

I think it sounds fine...and good luck!  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 2:23 pm

I think it sounds fine...and good luck!  :)

Thanks. :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/18/06 at 2:29 pm

It's good, but I'm not sure about using "booty call", maybe change that to something like "a fling" or something less tacky :)

Written By: KKay on 12/18/06 at 2:31 pm

good work.

there are tons and tons of things that i dislike...and things that get me down. but really- what good is it to mope around when you can look at the water, or watch a great movie or chat here?!
other, deeper things come when you least expect them.
that is one thing i learned.
you can go get what you want, sure. you can succeed in your carreer...or you can learn to paint...then BAm! someone gives you a compliment, a kiss, a phone number, you win 4$ on a scratch off card...these are the best.
relax.
let them come!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 2:41 pm

It's good, but I'm not sure about using "booty call", maybe change that to something like "a fling" or something less tacky :)

Yeah, well its just that while browsing the female users' profiles I saw that line from them about a million times "If you're just looking for a booty call I'm not interested" so thats why I decided to go with that nomenclature. I dunno, I may change it.

good work.

there are tons and tons of things that i dislike...and things that get me down. but really- what good is it to mope around when you can look at the water, or watch a great movie or chat here?!
other, deeper things come when you least expect them.
that is one thing i learned.
you can go get what you want, sure. you can succeed in your carreer...or you can learn to paint...then BAm! someone gives you a compliment, a kiss, a phone number, you win 4$ on a scratch off card...these are the best.
relax.
let them come!

Definitely.

Written By: spaceace on 12/18/06 at 2:50 pm

It'll work.  Very refined work, by the way.  Good Luck :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/06 at 4:48 pm

Okay so after mulling things over the past few days and really trying to get inside myself about this whole dating issue, and see what I truely feel, I think I've come to an important realisation for myself. And thats that whats important is being genuine and really getting to know someone. I've thought about things I want in life, my general outlook and come to the conclusion that the right attitude goes a long way.

So this is the profile description I wrote for myself on Yahoo! personals, I want feedback on it. There won't be any fussing or anything of the sort, I promise.

Headline: Let's take a chance

"The trick to life is enjoying it despite everything else." That's what I try to live by, anyhow. I'm not unambitious though, I'm a gourmet and plan on owning my own restaurant some day. I'm relocating to the South Florida area with my family because of business opportunities. I'm a little reserved at first, but once I get to know you I'm a warm and easy going guy. I don't have any baggage from previous relationships so if you're trying to avoid drama look no further. I don't want to make up for anything in the past, I just want to enjoy the present and get to know new people.

I can enjoy hanging out at the house watching movies, listening to music, cooking etc. but I also really like to get out and have an adventure. I'm not into playing sports but I do like the outdoors. Driving down to Key Biscayne on a pleasant Saturday is very appealing to me. Traveling the world once I make my millions(ha!) is most definitely on my itinerary.

If this sounds good to you we should exchange e-mail and see where things go. No better time to live life than now. I'm not looking for a booty call, so don't worry about anything like that. I'm a perfectly respectable gentleman..within reason.  ;-)"

A few typos. (I hope you can pick them out).  Otherwise, I think it sounds fine.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/18/06 at 6:04 pm

Yes, that's what I'd change...it just sounds a tad on the 'cheap' side, but that's probably 'cause I'm getting old!

Written By: Apricot on 12/18/06 at 7:15 pm

It's very, very well-written. Nicely done, sir.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/06 at 7:36 pm

that's pretty good Alex. you might want to mention that you have a penis.  good luck

Written By: Apricot on 12/18/06 at 7:37 pm

you might want to mention that you have a penis.

Nonsense, that'll be the surprise.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 8:18 pm

A few typos. (I hope you can pick them out).  Otherwise, I think it sounds fine.

Cat

Luckily it turns out that when Yahoo! reviews it, they do a spell check and correct any errors for you. :)

It's very, very well-written. Nicely done, sir.

Thanks.

that's pretty good Alex. you might want to mention that you have a penis.  good luck

:D ??? Um, could you explain what you're getting at here?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/06 at 8:24 pm

Good job, well written, I hope you find somebody.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/06 at 8:28 pm

:D ??? Um, could you explain what you're getting at here?

it's a joke.  one SNL episode, many years ago, John Lovitz picked up a chick in a bar, he's walking out with her and the last thing he says in the sketch to her, is "did I mention I have a penis"?  it was quite funny to me. so nothing personal here towards you although it could be seen and taken as a jest, jab at you, but my intentions were not so.  8)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 8:41 pm

it's a joke.  one SNL episode, many years ago, John Lovitz picked up a chick in a bar, he's walking out with her and the last thing he says in the sketch to her, is "did I mention I have a penis"?  it was quite funny to me. so nothing personal here towards you although it could be seen and taken as a jest, jab at you, but my intentions were not so.  8)

Oh thats pretty funny actually. ;D

So far in my searches on Yahoo! I've already found a lot of wonderful ladies, I've saved about 20 profiles so far. That way when I get my subscription I'll already have compatible people picked out to message. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/18/06 at 9:50 pm

It's good, but you better not dump these people after the first date if they don't give you sex... And I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm being serious.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 10:03 pm

It's good, but you better not dump these people after the first date if they don't give you sex... And I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm being serious.

::) Talk about misconstruing what someone said.

Written By: Tia on 12/18/06 at 10:04 pm

that's a good ad dude. i've been on personals on and off for a couple years and i always struggle with the ad, one i have now is this cobbled-together monstrosity.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/18/06 at 10:05 pm

that's a good ad dude. i've been on personals on and off for a couple years and i always struggle with the ad, one i have now is this cobbled-together monstrosity.

Monstrosities are good for getting interesting people, though. *Nods*

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/18/06 at 10:15 pm

Best of luck to you, Alex.  :)

I had an ad on Yahoo Personals a couple years back - never subscribed, but one woman did and hit me up on YIM.  We made it nearly 2 1/2 year and we're parting on good terms (she's moving to KS).  Also, the week we met she was over at my place listening to my show and ANOTHER woman who saw my ad was trying to reach me on YIM (I didn't answer).  I didn't write anything flashy nor made myself out to be someone I wasn't; hell I didn't even have a job when we started dating.  :P  So it can happen for you.  Good for you for getting yourself out there. :) 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/18/06 at 10:31 pm

I like how it sounds Alex. If I was single and reading your column...it would interest me enough to exchange emails & go out on a date.  I wish you the best in your endeavors! :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/18/06 at 11:10 pm

Thank you very much Erin. :) I am now in high spirits and confidence that I'll find the right person in the next 2 or 3 years.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/18/06 at 11:17 pm

Thank you very much Erin. :) I am now in high spirits and confidence that I'll find the right person in the next 2 or 3 years.

It is a very well written ad.

Written By: La Roche on 12/19/06 at 12:59 am

That's actually really quite good.

Better to sound respectable than go down the "Is my dick big enough, is my brain small enough." route.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/19/06 at 2:30 am

The ad sounds fairly good, Alex.

One small note- No "dee dee dee"? :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/19/06 at 2:37 am

Met my husband through Yahoo personals.  Actually, met a couple people through online personals.  A couple I just dated casually, then my hubby blew me away and the rest is history.  ;D

Basically the best advice is just keep it simple and honest and just describe your interests.  Your ad sounds good.  :)

When I was looking (before I got married, the only ones in my area were looking for "discreet relationships" which is code for "they are married and want a mistress"  ::)  I had to open up my search for a larger area but eventually found what I was looking for.  It was immediate so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away either.  :)

Written By: karen on 12/19/06 at 3:51 am

I thought the ad read very well.  Good luck with this but don't get despondent if it doesn't work out straight away. 

Another thought.  In some personal columns I've spotted that they have a friendships only section.  You might consider posting something there if the same thing exists in Yahoo Personals (I've no idea if it does).  Sometimes just making an effort to widen your social circle can increase the range of people you come into contact with and one day meet 'the one'

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/06 at 4:46 am

If I was 30 years younger I'd answer it, heck if I wasn't in a relationship now I'd answer it.  It is a good one, sounds sincere.  Hope it works.  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 12/19/06 at 5:27 am

Have I taught you NOTHING?!

Written By: Tia on 12/19/06 at 7:38 am

If I was 30 years younger I'd answer it, heck if I wasn't in a relationship now I'd answer it.  It is a good one, sounds sincere.  Hope it works.  ;)
i might steal it and use it for mine. how's THAT for sincere?

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/19/06 at 9:33 am

Have I taught you NOTHING?!

Oh, you've taught me very much. I just decided to be difficult and not obey your orders.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/19/06 at 1:05 pm

That's actually really quite good.

Better to sound respectable than go down the "Is my dick big enough, is my brain small enough." route.

;D Yes indeed. And thanks for the compliment on it.

The ad sounds fairly good, Alex.

One small note- No "dee dee dee"? :D

:D I'm saving that for the 3rd date.

And thanks.

Met my husband through Yahoo personals.  Actually, met a couple people through online personals.  A couple I just dated casually, then my hubby blew me away and the rest is history.  ;D

Basically the best advice is just keep it simple and honest and just describe your interests.  Your ad sounds good.  :)

When I was looking (before I got married, the only ones in my area were looking for "discreet relationships" which is code for "they are married and want a mistress"  ::)  I had to open up my search for a larger area but eventually found what I was looking for.  It was immediate so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away either.  :)

Thank you for the compliment about the ad. I've already changed my location on Yahoo! Personals to Miami, FL because I'll be moving there in a couple of months and I won't be getting a subscription before then anyhow and I've got my search set for within 250 miles of Miami. Which covers basically all of South Florida and most of Central Florida, up to Tampa and Orlando. I figured that anywhere where it would take less than half a day to drive to was okay.

I'm not expecting it to happen right away. I figure that its actuallly going to be at least 6 or 7 months before I really start corresponding with anyone because I've got to get moved, get my vehicle, work on myself a bit more and of course pay for a subscription.

I thought the ad read very well.  Good luck with this but don't get despondent if it doesn't work out straight away. 

Another thought.  In some personal columns I've spotted that they have a friendships only section.  You might consider posting something there if the same thing exists in Yahoo Personals (I've no idea if it does).  Sometimes just making an effort to widen your social circle can increase the range of people you come into contact with and one day meet 'the one'

I'll look into that, karen. Thank you. :)

I'm very flattered. Thank you. :)

i might steal it and use it for mine. how's THAT for sincere?

Hmm I dunno what if somebody sees both of our's? They'll be like, "thats not the same dude at all, one of them must be a phoney but I have no way of knowing which one, so I'm not interested in either of them now, just to be on the safe side". ;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/19/06 at 1:22 pm

I'm not expecting it to happen right away. I figure that its actuallly going to be at least 6 or 7 months before I really start corresponding with anyone because I've got to get moved, get my vehicle, work on myself a bit more and of course pay for a subscription.

Work on yourself more? What.. you wanna work out?

I'm a big fat beer guzzler who needs a haircut and wears crappy clothes.. and I score. Wouldn't worry about your image, it's if you're a jerk or not that matters. Seriously... all these people who say "Be yourself." They're half right. If you're a nice guy to begin with, then be yourself, if you're a prick, then just be a phoney and pretend to be nice.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/19/06 at 1:26 pm

Work on yourself more? What.. you wanna work out?

I'm a big fat beer guzzler who needs a haircut and wears crappy clothes.. and I score. Wouldn't worry about your image, it's if you're a jerk or not that matters. Seriously... all these people who say "Be yourself." They're half right. If you're a nice guy to begin with, then be yourself, if you're a prick, then just be a phoney and pretend to be nice.

Yeah but there are just a few things I need to improve, for myself, if I'm going to do this. Sure working out is part of that, I already do. I want to continue to lose weight. Not just for this but for health reasons as well.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/19/06 at 5:39 pm

I need to get a new digital camera. I saw one at Wal-Mart for $80 awhile back. The current one I have is just a 15 dollar keychain camera, so my pic is kinda crappy. I need a better one. I may post several, a good headshot for my main pic, another good one upclose and a couple farther away that show my whole body. I read that its a good idea to post a pic of yourself doing something you like, so I might get someone to take a couple pics of me cooking.

Written By: La Roche on 12/19/06 at 7:23 pm

I need to get a new digital camera. I saw one at Wal-Mart for $80 awhile back. The current one I have is just a 15 dollar keychain camera, so my pic is kinda crappy. I need a better one. I may post several, a good headshot for my main pic, another good one upclose and a couple farther away that show my whole body. I read that its a good idea to post a pic of yourself doing something you like, so I might get someone to take a couple pics of me cooking.

I wouldn't be allowed to post pictures of what I like doing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/06 at 8:58 pm

yes, it's nice to have numerous pictures posted of yourself. Digital cameras are pretty cheap nowadays....you don't need anything fancy.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/19/06 at 9:09 pm

Even if you don't want the expense of a digital camera (not that there aren't some good deals out there) but, you can still get digital pics online scanned for you.  Take (or have taken) pictures of yourself, then take them to the photo department at Wal-Mart.  They have an option that allows to retrieve your photoss online (after you paid for them at the store.)  I think it costs about 5 dollars extra and it's a little bit of a hassle 'cause you still gotta go to the store twice (once to drop off film and the second time to pay for them and pick up your pictures and the code you need to get the pictures.)  I used to do this years ago 'cause I didn't have access to a scanner easily.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/19/06 at 9:47 pm

Important tip:

When on a date, if you break wind in front of them, under no circumstances should you attempt to blame it on your chair.

It doesn't work....I've tried it. ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/19/06 at 10:05 pm

Even if you don't want the expense of a digital camera (not that there aren't some good deals out there) but, you can still get digital pics online scanned for you.  Take (or have taken) pictures of yourself, then take them to the photo department at Wal-Mart.  They have an option that allows to retrieve your photoss online (after you paid for them at the store.)  I think it costs about 5 dollars extra and it's a little bit of a hassle 'cause you still gotta go to the store twice (once to drop off film and the second time to pay for them and pick up your pictures and the code you need to get the pictures.)  I used to do this years ago 'cause I didn't have access to a scanner easily.

I'll remember this in case I decide not to buy a camera, thank you. :)

Important tip:

When on a date, if you break wind in front of them, under no circumstances should you attempt to blame it on your chair.

It doesn't work....I've tried it. ;)

;D Okay I'll bear that one in mind

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/19/06 at 10:10 pm

My idea for a first date is going to a coffee shop.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/06 at 10:10 pm

YAY! perfect Alex...a great place to be able to converse! :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 1:30 am

Okay so here is the updated version I wrote for Match.com(whom I'll get a sub with instead of Yahoo! personals):

Headline: Lets take a chance together.

"The trick to life is enjoying it despite everything else. Thats what I try to live by, anyhow. I'm not unambitious though, I'm a gourmet and plan on owning my own restaurant some day. I'm relocating to the South Florida area with my family because of business oppurtunities. I'm a little reserved at first, but once I get to know you I'm a warm and easy going guy. I don't have any baggage from previous relationships so if you're trying to avoid drama look no further. I don't want to make up for anything in the past, I just want to enjoy the present and get to know new people.

My passions include cooking, the outdoors(the beach!), the Spanish language and I have an urge to want to help out in the world. Later in life after I come to a more secure place financially I'd really like to get involved with charities.

If this sounds good to you we should exchange e-mail and see where things go. No better time to live life than now. I'm not looking for a cheap fling, so don't worry about anything like that. I'm a perfectly respectable gentleman..within reason. ;-)"

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 2:02 am

OMG Me too! Neato.

By the way, I just got your PM to look at what you wrote. Actually, I looked at this thread earlier today. I think it (and the final draft) are just great. Good luck finding someone : ) I've only been to 2 dating sites, and one of them was a May-December one. Nothing but ugly desperate guys. Not cool.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 2:05 am

BTW, I only like older men who aren't desperate. Like... teachers. Oh Gawd, teachers! <333 I miss my high school band director... 

But why am I even saying this? God, it's 2:00am and I really need to go to bed.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/06 at 2:09 am

BTW, I only like older men who aren't desperate. Like... teachers. Oh Gawd, teachers! <333 I miss my high school band director... 

But why am I even saying this? God, it's 2:00am and I really need to go to bed.
one of my close concert buddies ended up marrying her band teacher. they are about at least 20 years apart  :o they are both my friends and a perfect match.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 2:14 am

What do you think of it Mike?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 2:17 am

one of my close concert buddies ended up marrying her band teacher. they are about at least 20 years apart  :o they are both my friends and a perfect match.

God, she's so lucky. My band director was married, and to some ugly chick. He deserved so much better. Millsie (my nickname for him, lol) is going on 40, I do believe.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 2:19 am

God, she's so lucky. My band director was married, and to some ugly chick. He deserved so much better. Millsie (my nickname for him, lol) is going on 40, I do believe.

We have something else in common because I kind of have a thing for older women. No offense to you. ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/20/06 at 2:22 am

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/06 at 2:26 am

What do you think of it Mike?
what do I think of it?  me?, the good Mike  ;D  well, if I was a chick, I'd be thinking "this sounds like a really nice guy and I wouldn't mind meeting him"  It's good stuff Alex. very good.  My only ? would be in the opening statement, and it's a good opener
the trick to life is enjoying it  but the 2nd half  despite everything else makes me wonder what does that mean. Is the intention that your're determined to enjoy life (No Matter What)cheap Badfinger reference,  or does it mean you've had or have problems that won't keep you from enjoying life?  it depends on how you read it or perceive it. You did good and I'm thrilled to see you get up and do something for yourself. best of luck to ya.

lucky? really?  you must like your band teacher.  my friend ended up cheating on her band teacher hubby, but I think they worked it out and now it's a 3-some  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/20/06 at 2:27 am

You and those Badfinger references.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 2:29 am

lucky? really?  you must like your band teacher.  my friend ended up cheating on her band teacher hubby, but I think they worked it out and now it's a 3-some  ;D

God, I loved him. Everyone in band knew, too. My color guard buddies would be like, "Oh, look Ashley! There's Millsie!" I've always wondered if he knew, or if he liked me back. You should see my journal entries about him. God, I was such a teenager.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/20/06 at 2:30 am

God, I loved him. Everyone in band knew, too. My color guard buddies would be like, "Oh, look Ashley! There's Millsie!" I've always wondered if he knew, or if he liked me back. You should see my journal entries about him. God, I was such a teenager.

You said he was married.  Is he divorced or no longer married? 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/06 at 2:30 am

You and those Badfinger references.
skewed priorities  ???  but it did work into the post

he knows, as I'm a guy, he knows  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 2:35 am

My only ? would be in the opening statement, and it's a good opener
the trick to life is enjoying it  but the 2nd half  despite everything else makes me wonder what does that mean. Is the intention that your're determined to enjoy life (No Matter What)cheap Badfinger reference,  or does it mean you've had or have problems that won't keep you from enjoying life?  it depends on how you read it or perceive it.

Well, it means both actually. I am determined to enjoy life no matter what, and I have had my problems.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 2:35 am

You said he was married.  Is he divorced or no longer married? 

Naw, he's still married : (

he knows, as I'm a guy, he knows  ;)

That makes me happy, but sad at the same time. Why didn't he say anything? Well, I guess his job or marriage would have been on the line, but talking wouldn't have hurt, you know? Anyways, I feel bad for taking up Alex's thread. I'm going to the PPP and making a new thread about this.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 2:39 am

No worries, nicki.

I've been inspired to become proactive about this because of an odd reason: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=23092.msg1154609#msg1154609

It just made me realise I was being too hard on myself. What I want is already there for the taking, if only I'll go for it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/06 at 2:44 am

Well, it means both actually. I am determined to enjoy life no matter what, and I have had my problems.
it's a good honest, strong opener. keep it as it is, and I'd say don't change a thing, but that's up to you. I have a friend who's dated on Yahoo and she's met some decent guys, but she had some baggage and a couple of kids and the guys did not stick around. poor baby. but she got dates.

Naw, he's still married : (

That makes me happy, but sad at the same time. Why didn't he say anything? Well, I guess his job or marriage would have been on the line, but talking wouldn't have hurt, you know? Anyways, I feel bad for taking up Alex's thread. I'm going to the PPP and making a new thread about this.
talking can lead to more talking which can lead to intimacy and then that can lead to trouble  :o it is sad, but in the real world, it could cost him everything if he fell for a young lady at the age you were. I think it's cool to have crushes on people even if they don't become more than just a passing fancy and good to remain friends too.

Written By: Gis on 12/20/06 at 2:56 am

It's a good advert and I'm sure it will work. I also have friends who met on the internet, one set got married last year!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/20/06 at 2:57 am

My cousin David met his wife Elisha online.....granted it was a Mormon chat room, but it was still online.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 4:27 am

Well so far I've sent winks to 12 women, ranging from ages 19 to 35. ;D

I'll hopefully be getting my sub by next week, so we'll be able to really communicate. Heres hoping a few of them wink back at me.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/06 at 4:32 am

Well so far I've sent winks to 12 women, ranging from ages 19 to 35. ;D

I'll hopefully be getting my sub by next week, so we'll be able to really communicate. Heres hoping a few of them wink back at me.

The next step is to talk to all and not focus on one in the beginning, no matter how "right" one may feel, as you go along you may find another who, after conversation, if "righter".

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 4:44 am

Thats good advice Danoota, thank you. I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 7:04 am

Sent 16 more winks.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/20/06 at 7:06 am

Sent 16 more winks.

Cool.  8)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/20/06 at 7:12 am

My cousin David met his wife Elisha online.....granted it was a Mormon chat room, but it was still online.

I met my boyfriend on this forum. Wasn't looking, but I'm happy that it happened. I used to be uncomfortable telling people how I met him, but as time goes on, I find there's nothing wrong with how we met.

Your description was awesome, Alex. The best of luck to you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/20/06 at 10:10 am

I met Chris online too. At the time, one of my friends was talking to him...and she sort of introduced us. We talked online for a long time before meeting in person.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/20/06 at 10:55 am

I met my boyfriend on this forum. Wasn't looking, but I'm happy that it happened. I used to be uncomfortable telling people how I met him, but as time goes on, I find there's nothing wrong with how we met.

Your description was awesome, Alex. The best of luck to you.

Man, you didn't even have to look, and he's like... the best boyfriend evar!

Well... one of them...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/20/06 at 11:20 am

Man, you didn't even have to look, and he's like... the best boyfriend evar!

Well... one of them...

I know! Pretty crazy.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 12:17 pm

I'm going to be the best boyfriend ever.

And I sent out 20 more winks. w00t! :D

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/20/06 at 1:00 pm

I met Matt because Shawn was friends with him on myspace. Ah, don't you love how technology brings people together?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/20/06 at 2:49 pm

I met my husband online too - Yahoo Personals to be exact!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/20/06 at 3:35 pm

Wow, hearing about all these couples who met online is very encouraging. :)

Written By: Apricot on 12/20/06 at 4:14 pm

Oh, you've taught me very much. I just decided to be difficult and not obey your orders.

You've let us both down.

http://www.hasharat.co.il/images/beck_midnite_200.jpg

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/21/06 at 1:44 am

Back when I was single, I was a member of the "Loveline" myself.

I met many wonderful women out there, and I remained friends with quite a few, until I went to college, and had the one experience that changed my life forever.

I hope your foxhunting goes well, Alex.

There has been much sage advice out here, and I am glad to see that you are serious about considering it.

I may have to just pass the official torch to you, m'son!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/21/06 at 8:00 am

I'm going to be the best boyfriend ever.

Be sure to add your trait of modesty in your description as well! :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 9:27 am

You've let us both down.

http://www.hasharat.co.il/images/beck_midnite_200.jpg

W'll, hey, yanno...

... ...

... HOW DARE YOU USE BECK ON ME!? *Cries*

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:11 am

Be sure to add your trait of modesty in your description as well! :D

Hmm, do I detect a hint of sarcasm here? :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 11:11 am

Hmm, do I detect a hint of sarcasm here? :D

I think she was being completely serious.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:19 am

I'm a bit disappointed at the moment. I've sent out about 50 winks altogether, but only got one wink back(which was an affirmative wink, not a rejection wink, at least). 8 of out of the 20 women saved in my favorites have been online in the last 24 hours(profiles show when people've been online), no wink back though.

A rejection wink at least would be appreciated. Sucks being left hanging.

I guess these winks don't work that great, I need to write them messages. I'm getting my money order this afternoon, so it should be in the mail tomorrow morning. The Match.com offices are actually in Dallas, so it should only take a day to get there. So by Saturday I should have my subscription activiated and be able to send e-mail.

I think she was being completely serious.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/images/smilies/dry.gif

Written By: Gis on 12/21/06 at 11:24 am

I'm a bit disappointed at the moment. I've sent out about 50 winks altogether, but only got one wink back(which was an affirmative wink, not a rejection wink, at least). 8 of out of the 20 women saved in my favorites have been online in the last 24 hours(profiles show when people've been online), no wink back though.

I guess these winks don't work that great, I need to write them messages. I'm getting my money order this afternoon, so it should be in the mail tomorrow morning. The Match.com offices are actually in Dallas, so it should only take a day to get there. So by Saturday I should have my subscription activiated and be able to send e-mail.

Alex, women don't rush into these things, we like to think about it!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:27 am

Alex, women don't rush into these things, we like to think about it!

That one woman who sent me a wink back in the positive did so immediately. I think this means at least in the case of those who have been online in the past 24 hours since I've sent them, no.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:28 am

Maybe they didn't want to respond.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:29 am

Maybe they didn't want to respond.

Its just common courtesy to respond with a yes or a no. >:(

Written By: Gis on 12/21/06 at 11:30 am

That one woman who sent me a wink back in the positive did so immediately. I think this means at least in the case of those who have been online in the past 24 hours since I've sent them, no.
Maybe maybe not.If it was me I'd read your ad and go away and think about it, then come back later or the next day and read it again, and possibly still think about it a bit longer! But yes it's true maybe they just chose not to reply.  

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:32 am

They're not required to respond.  I'd rather no answers at all then 49 "no"s.

Written By: La Roche on 12/21/06 at 11:33 am

Dude, chicks are jerks.

They do all that thinking crap.. losers. If I were a chick, you know I'd be all "Yoooo.. I want some dick to-nitahh!"

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:36 am

But yes it's true maybe they just chose not to reply. 

It hurts. :(

They're not required to respond.  I'd rather no answers at all then 49 "no"s.

No sh*t they aren't required to respond, theres a difference between something thats required and something thats the right thing to do and the courteous, right thing to do is to respond, even with a no. I'd rather have a no than a nothing, a nothing is much worse to me.  :-
Dude, chicks are jerks.

They do all that thinking crap.. losers. If I were a chick, you know I'd be all "Yoooo.. I want some dick to-nitahh!"

Thinking my arse. With the majority of them its been 24 hours since I've sent them and I know they've been online in the past 24 hours.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:37 am

No sh*t they aren't required to respond, theres a difference between something thats required and something thats the right thing to do and the courteous, right thing to do is to respond, even with a no. I'd rather have a no than a nothing, a nothing is much worse to me.  :-[

So instead of 1 yes and 49 undecideds that could turn into yesses, you'd rather have those 49 women give you the internet equivalent of a "f*ck you"?  Yeah, that'll help your self-esteem and improve your opinion of women.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:39 am

So instead of 1 yes and 49 undecideds that could turn into yesses, you'd rather have those 49 women give you the internet equivalent of a "f*ck you"?  Yeah, that'll help your self-esteem and improve your opinion of women.

Beth its obvious they're all no's anyhow, so yeah I'd rather them be straight up about it rather than just not wink back to let me know. Being ignored is worse for my self-esteem than a no.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:41 am

How do you know they're all no's?  Sh*t....give people time.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:42 am

A good profile helps, but you can't get around being unattractive I guess.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 12/21/06 at 11:44 am

nobody answers winks. i get winks from time to time and i never answer them. i think i answered one wink, and her profile pic looked like meatballs-II-vintage kim richards. that's what it takes. usually i think, okay, she was interested enough to send a wink but not interesting enough to actually write something.

read their profile, think of something catchy to respond with, and actually send an email. it's the only thing that works. winks are for crap.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:46 am

nobody answers winks. i get winks from time to time and i never answer them. i think i answered one wink, and her profile pic looked like meatballs-II-vintage kim richards. that's what it takes. usually i think, okay, she was interested enough to send a wink but not interesting enough to actually write something.

read their profile, think of something catchy to respond with, and actually send an email. it's the only thing that works. winks are for crap.

You have to have a sub to write e-mail.

It seems incourteous not to answer them to me.

Written By: Gis on 12/21/06 at 11:48 am

Ahh, there is obviously an etiquette here then that Tia seems to know all about.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:50 am

Well what can I do? I don't have a sub. F@#$ I wish I had a credit card.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:51 am

You have a job?  Get a credit card.  I have one and I don't have a job.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:52 am

You have a job?  Get a credit card.  I have one and I don't have a job.

Er, nevermind.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:53 am

What?  Do you have a job?  Yes?  Then get one.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:54 am

What?  Do you have a job?  Yes?  Then get one.

Well I have a job but I might as well not have one as far as they're concerned.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 11:55 am

Well I have a job but I might as well not have one as far as they're concerned.

Get one through your bank.  You have a bank, right?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:56 am

It will take me awhile to get a card anyway, so its useless arguing about whether or not I can get one.

I guess I'll just have to wait a couple days to do anything. :(

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:57 am

This all could have been solved if I could of used my mom's credit cards but they're all max'd out because of Christmas.

Gah, I'm lonely. The holidays are going to suck being alone...again.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 12:06 pm

Time for a Rum Nog I think.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 12:08 pm

I'm alone for the holidays too, but they won't suck for me.  I make them not suck.  You actually have to work to make them not suck.

Written By: Tia on 12/21/06 at 12:11 pm

Well what can I do? I don't have a sub. F@#$ I wish I had a credit card.
you gotta break an omletee to eat some eggs. or whatever. they want money before they give you your life mate.

you can use snail mail and pay by check or money order, i'm sure. it's tricker but click around on the info pages on the site youre using and i'm sure you can get info on it. it's the only way to go.

a couple of my favorite christmases, i spent alone. love the dawn-of-the-dead after-the-apocalypse feel of christmas when family is far away and you just have you and the world with no one else in it. good time to bring your walkman and listen to some HuG.

Then again i'm just sorta f**ked up that way.

Written By: Tia on 12/21/06 at 12:12 pm

Time for a Rum Nog I think.
dude, the love of a rum nog is unconditional. you ain't doing so bad. there's starving children in africa, you know!

(cue davey ;D)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/21/06 at 12:13 pm

Then again i'm just sorta f**ked up that way.

I refuse to believe that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 12:17 pm

you gotta break an omletee to eat some eggs. or whatever. they want money before they give you your life mate.

you can use snail mail and pay by check or money order, i'm sure. it's tricker but click around on the info pages on the site youre using and i'm sure you can get info on it. it's the only way to go.

Yeah I know thats what I'll do I suppose, it just annoys me that it'll take a few days. I spent hours searching profiles, finding ones I liked, sending out winks..it was frustrating for it not to work.

dude, the love of a rum nog is unconditional.

Yes, yes it is. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/21/06 at 12:42 pm

dude, the love of a rum nog is unconditional. you ain't doing so bad. there's starving children in africa, you know!

(cue davey ;D)

Lord, on this christmas day let us be thankful for our family.. our friends, the wonderful possessions we have.. and the starving children in Africa... fu.ck em!

Written By: Abix on 12/21/06 at 3:58 pm

Headline: Lets take a chance

Hi Alex,

It's  a  little late, I know.. I haven't had much time this week to hang out on the boards here..
I just read your 'ad' . It's good. It's also a little vague. It talks of your interests, but it doesn't say what your physical features are or what you are looking for in a mate physically. (Face it, if we read the personals, most of us are wondering, 'what does he/she look like').  I'm no expert as I've never placed an ad or answered an ad, but maybe, a brief description, i.e. height, hair,eye color, age, build , would spice it up.  Don't worry if you are bald or 20 lbs overweight or a tall lanky type.. there are people who look for all types.. :)
But for the most  part, your ad is good. If I weren't married, and I were looking for someone in the Florida area, that would definitely make my '2nd look' list. 
Take care Alex.. and good luck.

Written By: Abix on 12/21/06 at 4:50 pm

Patience is a virtue.  Persistence also helps. Think about it, maybe the persons you've sent the winks to, have gotten dozens of winks from maybe some not so charming guys... and maybe they just have lost faith in those winks.. and choose to ignore them..  (that doesn't make a person a bad or discourteous person.. everyone has their reasons). But if you maybe send follow up 'winks' along with a warm message, maybe that will turn their heads.  But if not, then you can at least say you tried. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/06 at 5:22 pm

You wrote a very nice profile, Alex. I think this is who you've always been and sometimes it takes a little while to go back to where you stood in the first place. Don't get discouraged either, because it takes time to get that special girl. Also, look into myspace.com, as I know there have been some successful matches made on there, too.  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 8:26 pm

Hi Alex,

It's  a  little late, I know.. I haven't had much time this week to hang out on the boards here..
I just read your 'ad' . It's good. It's also a little vague. It talks of your interests, but it doesn't say what your physical features are or what you are looking for in a mate physically. (Face it, if we read the personals, most of us are wondering, 'what does he/she look like').  I'm no expert as I've never placed an ad or answered an ad, but maybe, a brief description, i.e. height, hair,eye color, age, build , would spice it up.  Don't worry if you are bald or 20 lbs overweight or a tall lanky type.. there are people who look for all types.. :)
But for the most  part, your ad is good. If I weren't married, and I were looking for someone in the Florida area, that would definitely make my '2nd look' list. 
Take care Alex.. and good luck.

Theres a picture of me on my profile. ;)

Patience is a virtue.  Persistence also helps. Think about it, maybe the persons you've sent the winks to, have gotten dozens of winks from maybe some not so charming guys... and maybe they just have lost faith in those winks.. and choose to ignore them..  (that doesn't make a person a bad or discourteous person.. everyone has their reasons). But if you maybe send follow up 'winks' along with a warm message, maybe that will turn their heads.  But if not, then you can at least say you tried. 

Yeah, maybe so.

You wrote a very nice profile, Alex. I think this is who you've always been and sometimes it takes a little while to go back to where you stood in the first place. Don't get discouraged either, because it takes time to get that special girl. Also, look into myspace.com, as I know there have been some successful matches made on there, too.  :)

Thanks, Krissy.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 8:44 pm

Okay well I'm sending a few more winks so I can feel like I'm doing something, as I cannot yet send e-mails.

I'm also adding certain profiles to my 'favorites' so I can message them once my subscription does go into effect.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/21/06 at 9:04 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with what Tia said. 

To share some of my experiences - I think most people know I live in Utah.  Well the Salt Lake Valley is something like 80% Mormon, so if you aren't Mormon and don't want to meet people in bars, it is pretty much impossible to meet people around here.  I got on the personals just so I could meet some new guys, but I wasn't looking for a relationship at all.  (The fact that I ended up marrying my husband on there was pure chance and a whole 'nother story.)  Anyway, I got tons of winks - I think girls get a lot more than guys do.  I simply didn't have time to respond to all of them.  I know it might make me sound like a jerk, but that's the truth.  The people I actually responded to were the ones who took the time to send me an email telling me about themselves.  I realize that isn't possible for you to do right now, but be patient.  As soon as you get your account activated, go back over some of the girls you picked, and send thoughtful emails to a few of them, being more specific about yourself.  I'm sure you'll get a better response.  And remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 9:07 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with what Tia said. 

To share some of my experiences - I think most people know I live in Utah.  Well the Salt Lake Valley is something like 80% Mormon, so if you aren't Mormon and don't want to meet people in bars, it is pretty much impossible to meet people around here.  I got on the personals just so I could meet some new guys, but I wasn't looking for a relationship at all.  (The fact that I ended up marrying my husband on there was pure chance and a whole 'nother story.)  Anyway, I got tons of winks - I think girls get a lot more than guys do.  I simply didn't have time to respond to all of them.  I know it might make me sound like a jerk, but that's the truth.  The people I actually responded to were the ones who took the time to send me an email telling me about themselves.  I realize that isn't possible for you to do right now, but be patient.  As soon as you get your account activated, go back over some of the girls you picked, and send thoughtful emails to a few of them, being more specific about yourself.  I'm sure you'll get a better response.  And remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks, Ash

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/06 at 10:03 pm

Okay well I'm sending a few more winks so I can feel like I'm doing something, as I cannot yet send e-mails.

I'm also adding certain profiles to my 'favorites' so I can message them once my subscription does go into effect.
Alex, when did you first submit your profile as a potential candidate?  wasn't it just a day or 2 ago? 

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:06 pm

Alex, when did you first submit your profile as a potential candidate?  wasn't it just a day or 2 ago? 

Couple of days ago. However I've sent winks to about 60 different women. Only got 1 back, so far...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/06 at 10:08 pm

Couple of days ago. However I've sent winks to about 60 different women. Only got 1 back, so far...

wow, your eye must be tired, Dude. ;) ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/21/06 at 10:08 pm

Hee!  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:09 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/bobbymcgee/alex1.jpg

This is my current profile pic. I don't think I'm very attractive...

;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:10 pm

Cut your hair a bit, and make your goatee more center-focused.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:10 pm

And by a bit, I mean a lot.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/06 at 10:11 pm

;D

Alex...it's just a bad quality pic (you can't really see what you look like)...however, I will say that you look great! I can tell that you've lost a lot of weight...you let your hair grow out....I think once you get a better camera and include a few different poses..that will make a big difference! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:11 pm

Alex...it's just a bad quality pic (you can't really see what you look like)...however, I will say that you look great! I can tell that you've lost a lot of weight...you let your hair grow out....I think once you get a better camera and include a few different poses..that will make a big difference! :)

Just wait for your new camera tomorrow! =D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/21/06 at 10:12 pm

And smile!  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:15 pm

And by a bit, I mean a lot.

No way. I appreciate the suggestion and all, but theres no way I'd ever do that. As far as I'm concerned I've got my long hair for life. And its been 2 months since I've taken that pic now(it was in late October), so its longer. Its getting close to being long enough to tie back. The back is long enough but the sides aren't, I'm trying to wait for the sides to get long enough, then I'm going to have the back trimmed to be even with the sides.

I know a lot of today's women don't like long hair(a lot of them seem to want dudes who wax their chests now..ugh), on Match.com about half(and I mean literally half) or more of the profiles I look at have Long hair listed as a turn-off. But I like it and shouldn't cut it just to please others.

Just wait for your new camera tomorrow! =D

Actually my psoriasis is kinda bad right now, I need to get it under control. Might be a few days before I'm ready to take new photos and post them.  :-\\

Thats been one of the things other than my weight to help repel away women. Sores on your face aren't too attractive.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/06 at 10:16 pm

Actually my psoriasis is kinda bad right now, I need to get it under control. Might be a few days before I'm ready to take new photos and post them.  :-\\

Thats been one of the things other than my weight to help repel away women. Sores on your face aren't too attractive.

do you have medication for it?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:19 pm

do you have medication for it?

Well the only medication for it per se is a shot developed about 4 years ago, that is taken monthly, and each shot costs over a thousand dollars. :o

The places on your skin such as your face or knees you just have to put lots of creams on such as hydrocortisone, and on my scalp I just have to scrub the hell out of it and scrape the patches off, and just keep them off that way. Theres no cure for it, yet. Its one of the things theres a strong chance of curing with stem cell research though. Its a blood-based disease.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/06 at 10:20 pm

Well the only medication for it per se is a shot developed about 4 years ago, that is taken monthly, and each shot costs over a thousand dollars. :o

The places on your skin such as your face or knees you just have to put lots of creams on such as hydrocortisone, and on my scalp I just have to scrub the hell out of it and scrape the patches off, and just keep them off that way. Theres no cure for it, yet. Its one of the things theres a strong chance of curing with stem cell research though. Its a blood-based disease.

oh wow...that's a lot of money for one shot!! :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:21 pm

Yeah it really is.

Its a pain in the azz having psoriasis. I remember being made fun of for it in junior high, they'd call me herpes face. ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:22 pm

Would it even be worth it!?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:22 pm

Would it even be worth it!?

Yes, If I could afford it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/21/06 at 10:24 pm

About not having a credit card, you might want to look into getting a checking account through a bank and then getting a debit card.  They are usually Visa Debit Cards and work in place of a credit card (you can use them just like credit cards up unto the amount of money that is in your checking account.)  It's what I do and it works fabulously for me.  Especially seeing that I won't get myself into some really horrible credit card debt with it.

Nice pic BTW.  And I agree with whoever said smile.  or at least don't look so unhappy if you can't smile or don't like how you look smiling in pictures.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/06 at 10:28 pm

that's what I thought. Dude, you expect way too much, to soon. You plant some seeds and expect instant fruit. You have to give it some time, let things grow, let em happen in their own time. We all know you're nice, you're cool, you have an immense ............................................IQ  ;D  but to some of these babes, you''re still a complete stranger & some people are wary & not quick to open up to a total stranger. Damn, you got 1 wink. that's one more than you had last week. don't fret if these lucious babes don't respond as quickly and courteously as you would. The fact the you're concientious like that is a good quality but not everyone has it.  If you didn't have these expectations, you wouldn't be so dissapointed. I don't like seeing you beat yourself up about how unworthy you are & how you're not boyfriend material. Take pride in yourself,  have some self esteem, & not based on how many winks you got.
and if all else fails, lie on your profile and say youre wealthy.  ;D just kidding.  chin up, stay focused!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:33 pm

About not having a credit card, you might want to look into getting a checking account through a bank and then getting a debit card.  They are usually Visa Debit Cards and work in place of a credit card (you can use them just like credit cards up unto the amount of money that is in your checking account.)  It's what I do and it works fabulously for me.  Especially seeing that I won't get myself into some really horrible credit card debt with it.

Hmm you know I may look into that, thanks. It can get annoying not being able to buy whatever I want on the net.

Nice pic BTW.  And I agree with whoever said smile.  or at least don't look so unhappy if you can't smile or don't like how you look smiling in pictures.  :)

Wow you guessed right. The reason why I didn't post a pic of me smiling is because I don't like the way I look while doing it, I think I look like a goof.

Here is an example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/bobbymcgee/alex5.jpg

that's what I thought. Dude, you expect way too much, to soon. You plant some seeds and expect instant fruit. You have to give it some time, let things grow, let em happen in their own time. We all know you're nice, you're cool, you have an immense ............................................IQ  ;D  but to some of these babes, you''re still a complete stranger & some people are wary & not quick to open up to a total stranger. Damn, you got 1 wink. that's one more than you had last week. don't fret if these lucious babes don't respond as quickly and courteously as you would. The fact the you're concientious like that is a good quality but not everyone has it.  If you didn't have these expectations, you wouldn't be so dissapointed. I don't like seeing you beat yourself up about how unworthy you are & how you're not boyfriend material. Take pride in yourself,  have some self esteem, & not based on how many winks you got.
and if all else fails, lie on your profile and say youre wealthy.  ;D just kidding.  chin up, stay focused!

I need a shot of confidence. Its just I've never met a woman whos expressed any kind of interest in me, so its hard for me to be confident about myself in that area. No one has ever really told me I'm attractive.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:34 pm

^ You look kinda like my friend Gabe.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:35 pm

^ You look kinda like my friend Gabe.

How do you pronounce that? Gay-b? Its a guy...right? ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/06 at 10:36 pm

How do you pronounce that? Gay-b? Its a guy...right? ;D

Gabriel, let's say.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:37 pm

Gabriel, let's say.

Sh*t.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 10:38 pm

Note to self: Try to grow a beard.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/21/06 at 10:38 pm

See?  I like that pic.  You have a nice smile.

But I am the same way, self-critical with pictures of myself, especially smiling, 'cause I have fat cheeks and when I smile, my eyes get all squinty because of my cheeks.  Gah!  I'm still practicing on how to take a freakin' good picture of myself.  lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/06 at 10:43 pm

Hmm you know I may look into that, thanks. It can get annoying not being able to buy whatever I want on the net.

Wow you guessed right. The reason why I didn't post a pic of me smiling is because I don't like the way I look while doing it, I think I look like a goof.

Here is an example:

I need a shot of confidence. Its just I've never met a woman whos expressed any kind of interest in me, so its hard for me to be confident about myself in that area. No one has ever really told me I'm attractive.

it's a nice smile, Alex. It looks better than the serious look. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/06 at 10:48 pm

Here is an example:

much better pic

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/21/06 at 11:00 pm

much better pic

I agree.  It's much more inviting.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:27 pm

Thanks guys! :)

I think I may post it on my profile now.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/22/06 at 2:58 pm

I got my digital camera, w00t!

New pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/bobbymcgee/000_0010-1.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/22/06 at 3:11 pm

I also mailed my money order for my subscription, I dropped it off at the post office at about 12. Hopefully since Match.com is located in Dallas my sub will be activated by tomorrow afternoon.

Written By: Tia on 12/22/06 at 3:13 pm

I also mailed my money order for my subscription, I dropped it off at the post office at about 12. Hopefully since Match.com is located in Dallas my sub will be activated by tomorrow afternoon.
good man! :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/22/06 at 3:26 pm

So what do you guys think of the new pic? I like it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/22/06 at 5:39 pm

So what do you guys think of the new pic? I like it.

I think it's nice. Maybe try out a few more poses and see which ones you like best.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:06 pm

I think it's nice. Maybe try out a few more poses and see which ones you like best.

ya, like take one that's not so close..so it shows your whole head/face. :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/22/06 at 9:11 pm

But I like it and shouldn't cut it just to please others.

AMEN!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 10:22 am

ya, like take one that's not so close..so it shows your whole head/face. :)

That pic I posted was originally much larger, however it was unfortunately too big for me to upload on photo bucket, so I had to crop it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 10:24 am

Crap, my subscription isn't activated yet.

Maybe by this afternoon sometime it will be.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 10:41 am

it's gonna take a while if you did it by mail.

my mom bugged me about grandkids today again. i said, hey, mom, i'm tryin', i can't find a gal who'll stick with me!

so shove over, dude, i feel like bumming out about loneliness for a while. :(

Written By: La Roche on 12/23/06 at 10:43 am

my mom bugged me about grandkids today again. i said, hey, mom, i'm tryin', i can't find a gal who'll stick with me!

so shove over, dude, i feel like bumming out about loneliness for a while. :(

We could adopt?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 10:57 am

No actually it really shouldn't. I live about 2 hours from where they're located.

Btw, how old are you Mike?

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 10:58 am

No actually it really shouldn't. I live about 2 hours from where they're located.

Btw, how old are you Mike?
yeah, but then the check has to clear and all that. and during the holidays they'll probably be shortstaffed.

i've been 25 for 12 years.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 11:01 am

yeah, but then the check has to clear and all that. and during the holidays they'll probably be shortstaffed.

Hmm, I really hope they're able to process it today because they may not be open tomorrow or Monday. Gah I hope I don't have to wait until Tuesday.

i've been 25 for 12 years.

You're 37?

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 11:03 am

Hmm, I really hope they're able to process it today because they may not be open tomorrow or Monday. Gah I hope I don't have to wait until Tuesday.

You're 37?
isn't it saturday? i don't think they move checks on saturdays.

and yes.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/23/06 at 11:03 am

and yes.

WHAT!? :o

I always thought you were 36!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 11:05 am

Well I didn't send a check, I sent a U.S. Postal Service money order.

and yes.

Oh wow, I didn't know you were that older. ;D

I thought you were about 29-30ish.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 11:08 am

My mom and dad are going to be sorely disappointed with me I think, I'm not interested in ever having rugrats.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/23/06 at 11:10 am

I hate when people say it's selfish not to have kids, if you can.

But, yanno, we're being overpopulated anyway.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 11:15 am

Having a kid these days is more and more an excuse for the state to get more involved in your personal life. I'm a liberal, but I admit alot of this is because of other liberals who have an attitude like the government should be a nanny. An example of that being Hillary Clinton and her crusades against things she deems offensive in the media. Seems like society doesn't want to let people be parents.

Thats a lot to do with why I don't children. That, and the whole family thing doesn't really fit in with what I see for my life.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 1:46 pm

Okay I checked my email and I've gotten back 9 more winks, and all of them were rejections unfortunately. :(

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 1:47 pm

I'm fairly sure in all cases it was because of the age difference. I'm just not interested in women my age though.

What to do, what to do...

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 1:49 pm

Maybe I should just give up, I don't know.

I don't want to settle for less than what I want.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 1:55 pm

I feel so discouraged now.  :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/06 at 2:43 pm

But, yanno, we're being overpopulated anyway.
people are living too long and not dying quick enough to balance it out. 

I feel so discouraged now.   :-[
keep waiting,  you never know what tomorrow will bring. maybe don't limit yourself to the age group you are seeking. make a change and see what happens. I mean, what do you have to lose, and how do you know you will like older women better until you've experienced both and then can make an accurate analysis. oh yeah, try a pic wearing sunglasses.  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/06 at 2:59 pm

No!  I will not hear of this.  It has been what? A couple of days.  You think stuff like this happens as quick as that.  The younger generation, all instant gratification  ::) .  It is going to take time and you have plenty of that so hang in there or wish you had a year from now.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/23/06 at 3:07 pm

What, you want to be like I was?

There was a period of time when I gave up, too.
I had a brief experimentation with a few things during that 6-month period, none of which I am proud.
No drugs, mind you, but there were other things, and I must admit that those decisiions solidified my own beliefs.

I will say this: No one wants to be around a whiner.
Nor does anyone want to be around someone who's pushy.
Time is everything and yet nothing at the same time.
It's odd: the more time we have, the less of it we want.
The less time we have, the more we crave it.
The same is true of attention.

You MUST be patient, Young Grasshopper.
*gong sounds*

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/23/06 at 3:19 pm

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/23/06 at 3:21 pm

(Oh yeah, and try and have a little fun while you're at it. Don't take it so seriously.)  ;)

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 3:54 pm

Okay I checked my email and I've gotten back 9 more winks, and all of them were rejections unfortunately. :(
i hear ya bro. i was on the rebound not long ago and sent a bunch of messages unsolicited, got responses of like, maybe 1 or 2 out of each 20 messages i sent.

one thing, though, is, and not to generalize, but i DO think women tend to evaluate men a lot more based on how compatible they are, whereas men tend to make their judgment based on whether they have a "chance." we fellers, if we've got some red meat on our bones, have a rather foolish tendency to dive into relationships whether it's realistically a good fit or not. it's up to women to keep that in check, which, often, is why they're so particular. they're not judging us based on who we are but on how good a fit we are for them.

at least i hope that's right. :-[

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:01 pm

maybe don't limit yourself to the age group you are seeking. make a change and see what happens. I mean, what do you have to lose, and how do you know you will like older women better until you've experienced both and then can make an accurate analysis.

I'm sorry Mike, I'm just not interested in girls my age. They don't do it for me.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:02 pm

Its not that I think maybe noone wants to be with me, its that I'm starting to think noone *I* want wants to be with me.

I just do not want to settle.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:04 pm

I'm not going to settle for less than someone whos a)attractive to me b)has a good sense of humor c)is a liberal d)a sensual person and e)in the age group  I prefer

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 4:07 pm

that tends to change as you grow older. when i was 18 i wouldn't settle for anything less than daphne zuniga. or who was that chick in wargames? LOOOOOvvvveed her. phoebe cates. call me! as you get older life has a way of forcing compromises. but for now, hold out for that ideal, fer shurr, if that's what you want. just know it'll be a tough row to hoe.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:09 pm

that tends to change as you grow older. when i was 18 i wouldn't settle for anything less than daphne zuniga. or who was that chick in wargames? LOOOOOvvvveed her. phoebe cates. call me! as you get older life has a way of forcing compromises. but for now, hold out for that ideal, fer shurr, if that's what you want. just know it'll be a tough row to hoe.

Please don't make this an age thing, I hate that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:09 pm

I'm not talking about wanting to date some celebrity or a woman who looks like her or any other ridiculous expectation like that, these are normal expectations.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 4:12 pm

Please don't make this an age thing, I hate that.
but wait. you don't want to date someone your age. ergo, it's an age thing.

37-year-olds know what it's like to be 18. 18-year-olds don't know what it's like to be 37. that's just kinda the way it is. it's why us old folks is so insufferable, but it's also why you should listen to us. ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:13 pm

but wait. you don't want to date someone your age. ergo, it's an age thing.

I'm sorry dude but you seemed to making it out like its immature to have standards.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:15 pm

And you had YOUR experience at 18, not my experience. The fact you've been 18 doesn't matter because not everyone has the same exact experiences.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 4:20 pm

I'm sorry dude but you seemed to making it out like its immature to have standards.
not really. it's more like idealism gives way to realism. not that there's anything wrong with idealism, we oldies worship it more than anyone else! but over time the process of becoming more realistic, it's something that just... happens.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:24 pm

not really. it's more like idealism gives way to realism. not that there's anything wrong with idealism, we oldies worship it more than anyone else! but over time the process of becoming more realistic, it's something that just... happens.

Realistic? Its not unrealistic to want to marry an older woman. My brother's wife is 8 years older than him, I have a cousin whose wife is 12 years his senior, my uncle's wife is 5 years older than him and I have an aunt whos married to a guy 14 years younger than her.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 4:28 pm

Realistic? Its not unrealistic to want to marry an older woman. My brother's wife is 8 years older than him, I have a cousin whose wife is 12 years his junior, my uncle's wife is 5 years older than him and I have an aunt whos married to a guy 14 years younger than her.
but of course if you met someone who was your age and you got on with her perfectly, you wouldn't throw her over just because she wasn't older, right?

that's all i'm saying. make or break criteria can be killers. it's more like having... preferences.

i mean, i dunno, it's not like i know what the hell i'm doing. once in a blue moon i luck out, is all. in my experience the older girl or my age thing has worked out better anyway, so you might be on to something.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:31 pm

but of course if you met someone who was your age and you got on with her perfectly, you wouldn't throw her over just because she wasn't older, right?

that's all i'm saying. make or break criteria can be killers. it's more like having... preferences.

i mean, i dunno, it's not like i know what the hell i'm doing. once in a blue moon i luck out, is all. in my experience the older girl or my age thing has worked out better anyway, so you might be on to something.

Oh I see what you mean. Well yes if I met a girl my age and she just absolutely fantastic and we on well, then of course I wouldn't turn her down. But my preference is older and thats what I'm actively looking for. :)

Its been my experience I have much better convos with older women. Its a pain trying to talk to girls my age, but I'm always able to converse more easily with older women. See, I'm kinda shy and they also put me more at ease.

Young women seem to give off this vibe like you have to impress THEM somehow, they put you on the spot very naturally.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:47 pm

I search mainly for women in their late 20s and early 30s, although I did send a few winks to some women older than that.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/06 at 4:51 pm

Oh I see what you mean. Well yes if I met a girl my age and she just absolutely fantastic and we on well, then of course I wouldn't turn her down. But my preference is older and thats what I'm actively looking for. :)

Its been my experience I have much better convos with older women. Its a pain trying to talk to girls my age, but I'm always able to converse more easily with older women. See, I'm kinda shy and they also put me more at ease.

Young women seem to give off this vibe like you have to impress THEM somehow, they put you on the spot very naturally.
yes, i totally agree. when i was your age (sorry!) i was very into older women for that reason. folks all around tend to play games of that sort a bit less as they get into their late 20s and thirties, so rest assured, that part DOES get easier. probably part of the reason i get with women my own age now. and women who are younger are always looking for older dudes so whatever... it's complicated. you probably have good reason for being resistant to women your age for that reason (refresh my memory? how old are you? not that it's not gonna hurt :-[) but there are some pearls out there for sure. some gals who are 18 going on 40.

in fact, if you meet more than one throw a few my way.  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 4:54 pm

yes, i totally agree. when i was your age (sorry!) i was very into older women for that reason. folks all around tend to play games of that sort a bit less as they get into their late 20s and thirties, so rest assured, that part DOES get easier. probably part of the reason i get with women my own age now. and women who are younger are always looking for older dudes so whatever... it's complicated. you probably have good reason for being resistant to women your age for that reason (refresh my memory? how old are you? not that it's not gonna hurt :-[) but there are some pearls out there for sure. some gals who are 18 going on 40.

in fact, if you meet more than one throw a few my way.  ;D

I'm 18.

And I'll send a few your way if I find them. ;D

Written By: Abix on 12/23/06 at 6:04 pm

Ok, I've been following your progress on this thread Alex, and I gotta say... PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE! You need to just get a grip and realize that life isn't going to come knocking on your door and ask you to come out and play. You need to just get out and quit moping and just live life.  There's someone out there for you, but you just need to live life and quit worrying about when she's going to come find you. Another thing.. nobody knows what's right for them, until it happens.  When I was 19, I lived with this guy that was my world.. I thought we'd marry, have babies, and live happily ever after.. 3 yrs after that, I was living alone in small 1 bedroom apartment , deep in the mires of depression, dropped out of nursing school, and wanting to DIE.  But, I plugged away, and I know it sounds like a cliche' but time is the best healer of broken hearts. And I am not going to lie, I did pine away for that boyfriend for about 5 yrs.  But I never let him see it.. I got involved in things , joined a singles group at church, went bowling, camping , hiking all those things that I wouldn't have done, if I would have been sitting around inside moping about how lonely I was. AND I learned to live independently, and I learned to LOVE myself and I grew a self esteem.. and I also broadened my horizons, not thinking so narrowly, learning to treat people and their opinions with respect, even if they differed from my own.

And those standards you speak of? Well nobody needs to settle.. but you need to realize that maybe the preferences you have might be excluding a whole lotta worthy people. For instance.. my preference is a tall, dark, swarthy type, Yet I married a short, stocky George Costanza wannabe.. I worked with him for 3 yrs before I took notice of him in 'that way'. 
And his preference?  Well he likes tall, leggy, brunettes with perky little breasts.. Yet he married a 5'4" 200+ lb  blonde with , a whole lotta extra packed into these SHORT little legs. But everyone who knows us, thinks we are perfect together..  And even after marriage, it's not happily ever after, there are lots of ups and downs, but it takes work to make a relationship work.  A whole lotta compromise too.

So I know you are sensitive about the "you're young" comments, but Alex, it's true.  Your experiences are exclusive to you, yes, but the basic human needs are generally the same. We all desire companionship, and someone to love us.  So all that being said, just don't sweat it.  You never know when it will happen. And you shouldn't let a relationship or lack theirof define who you are as a person or the amount of satisfaction you have with your life.  Life is too short. 

I'm done now.. Take my 2 cents and do with it what you will.

Merry Christmas  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/23/06 at 6:09 pm

Ok, I've been following your progress on this thread Alex, and I gotta say... PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE! You need to just get a grip and realize that life isn't going to come knocking on your door and ask you to come out and play. You need to just get out and quit moping and just live life.  There's someone out there for you, but you just need to live life and quit worrying about when she's going to come find you. Another thing.. nobody knows what's right for them, until it happens.  When I was 19, I lived with this guy that was my world.. I thought we'd marry, have babies, and live happily ever after.. 3 yrs after that, I was living alone in small 1 bedroom apartment , deep in the mires of depression, dropped out of nursing school, and wanting to DIE.  But, I plugged away, and I know it sounds like a cliche' but time is the best healer of broken hearts. And I am not going to lie, I did pine away for that boyfriend for about 5 yrs.  But I never let him see it.. I got involved in things , joined a singles group at church, went bowling, camping , hiking all those things that I wouldn't have done, if I would have been sitting around inside moping about how lonely I was. AND I learned to live independently, and I learned to LOVE myself and I grew a self esteem.. and I also broadened my horizons, not thinking so narrowly, learning to treat people and their opinions with respect, even if they differed from my own.

And those standards you speak of? Well nobody needs to settle.. but you need to realize that maybe the preferences you have might be excluding a whole lotta worthy people. For instance.. my preference is a tall, dark, swarthy type, Yet I married a short, stocky George Costanza wannabe.. I worked with him for 3 yrs before I took notice of him in 'that way'. 
And his preference?  Well he likes tall, leggy, brunettes with perky little breasts.. Yet he married a 5'4" 200+ lb  blonde with , a whole lotta extra packed into these SHORT little legs. But everyone who knows us, thinks we are perfect together..  And even after marriage, it's not happily ever after, there are lots of ups and downs, but it takes work to make a relationship work.  A whole lotta compromise too.

So I know you are sensitive about the "you're young" comments, but Alex, it's true.  Your experiences are exclusive to you, yes, but the basic human needs are generally the same. We all desire companionship, and someone to love us.  So all that being said, just don't sweat it.  You never know when it will happen. And you shouldn't let a relationship or lack theirof define who you are as a person or the amount of satisfaction you have with your life.  Life is too short. 

Karma +1

Written By: Abix on 12/23/06 at 6:10 pm

backatcha Beth :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/23/06 at 6:18 pm

Award Karma To: Abix

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you must wait 24 hours before awarding another karma point to this recipient.

Written By: Abix on 12/23/06 at 6:20 pm

Gosh, I hope I'm not hijacking Dude's thread with all this karma business! But thank you, Hawk :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/23/06 at 6:43 pm

Just to let Dude know the power of being patient, I will share my story of my internet personals experience.

I got divorced Jan. 2, 2001 -
Feb. 13th, 2001 - I put an ad in at Yahoo personals
Don't really get alot of responses, I get one from a guy in Australia, but seriously...I'm just looking for someone to date and go out with, spend some time with, go to movies with, Australia is a bit of a haul.  Got a response from a guy in France, (while that is closer...still not close enough)  lol
I do my share of looking around, put some "feelers" out there, either don't hear from them or get a polite decline.  That's alright.  I get a note from Yahoo personals saying that my ad is about to expire (aparently there is a time limit they used to allow??)  So I debate about putting it back in, decide sure what the hell, I've got nothing better to do, and it isn't hurting anyone that I have an ad in.  So I put the ad (slightly reworded) back in.
One day in late April, I decide to check my e-mail from the college library in between classes.  That is when the man that will eventually become my hubby introduces himself through e-mail.  He is friendly enough, and then he gives me a link to his ad.  I find out that he lives on the other side of the state from me, roughly a 4 hour drive.  I am disappointed.  I guess maybe my expectations are a little high.  I'd like to find a guy that is slightly closer to be able to see more often.  But this guy and I still start talking, even though I doubt there will be much of an interest once he found out where I lived.
As it turned out, he had dated someone that lived in an even smaller town about 10 miles from my town, so he was familiar with my area.  Wow.  AND he was willing to drive the 4 hours to spend the day with me and see a movie or two and go out to eat and just to get to know each other.  Double Wow.
Then I turn into an idiot.  I chicken out of actually meeting him face-to-face.  I *thought* I was ready to start a new relationship....but...what if he turned out to be like my ex-husband?  ???

OK, so we cancel our face-to-face meeting, but luckily he still is willing to talk to me through e-mail.  We are buddies more less.  He still answers personal ads.  He finds a couple girls that are interesting to him, and I start getting jealous.  wow, wasn't expecting that reaction at all.  But that's ok, it was my problem and I could deal with it.  I am willing to be a friend.  My friend has his car break down, his girl dump him, can't find another job right away so he moves in with his uncle (luckily his uncle lives in Pittsburgh which is onlly about an hour drive from me.)  So my friend, packs up his worldly belongings, and moves to Pittsburgh.  I am there to meet him about 2 weeks later, (His uncle is amazed at his nephew's romantic prowess. lol)

So to make a long story short, he and I date for about 2 years then I move in with him (he's moved out of his uncle's place long before that).  We get married about 1 1/2 years after first "meeting" online through the personals ad.  We are going to celebrate our 4 year anniversary in about 3 weeks. 

So what my point is, just be patient, nothing is simple, sometimes it doesn't work out the first try.  So as the old saying goes "Try try again".  and if *that* doesn't work try try again some more.

The old saying goes that you find what you are looking for least when you expect it and when you aren't actually looking for it.  So relax.  Have fun. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/06 at 11:49 pm

Meat Loaf is your big brother, isn't he
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x_5Eo5F1HwBU8OjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12jmkli6e/EXP=1167025273/**http%3a//eil.com/newGallery/Meat-Loaf-And-The-Neverland-47609.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xeLFI5FiZQAChWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=137s4dsp2/EXP=1167025675/**http%3a//www.galaxymusic.com.au/pix/fimage/Meat_Loaf_Prime_Cuts_EU_CD_FrntCvr_150.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/24/06 at 12:06 am

Happy Holidays to you Angel. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I wasn't really talking about too specific of a physical type, I like all sorts of "types", I just meant someone I found attractive. I don't think that is too limiting of a standard.

Just to let Dude know the power of being patient, I will share my story of my internet personals experience.

I got divorced Jan. 2, 2001 -
Feb. 13th, 2001 - I put an ad in at Yahoo personals
Don't really get alot of responses, I get one from a guy in Australia, but seriously...I'm just looking for someone to date and go out with, spend some time with, go to movies with, Australia is a bit of a haul.  Got a response from a guy in France, (while that is closer...still not close enough)  lol
I do my share of looking around, put some "feelers" out there, either don't hear from them or get a polite decline.  That's alright.  I get a note from Yahoo personals saying that my ad is about to expire (aparently there is a time limit they used to allow??)  So I debate about putting it back in, decide sure what the hell, I've got nothing better to do, and it isn't hurting anyone that I have an ad in.  So I put the ad (slightly reworded) back in.
One day in late April, I decide to check my e-mail from the college library in between classes.  That is when the man that will eventually become my hubby introduces himself through e-mail.  He is friendly enough, and then he gives me a link to his ad.  I find out that he lives on the other side of the state from me, roughly a 4 hour drive.  I am disappointed.  I guess maybe my expectations are a little high.  I'd like to find a guy that is slightly closer to be able to see more often.  But this guy and I still start talking, even though I doubt there will be much of an interest once he found out where I lived.
As it turned out, he had dated someone that lived in an even smaller town about 10 miles from my town, so he was familiar with my area.  Wow.  AND he was willing to drive the 4 hours to spend the day with me and see a movie or two and go out to eat and just to get to know each other.  Double Wow.
Then I turn into an idiot.  I chicken out of actually meeting him face-to-face.  I *thought* I was ready to start a new relationship....but...what if he turned out to be like my ex-husband?  ???

OK, so we cancel our face-to-face meeting, but luckily he still is willing to talk to me through e-mail.  We are buddies more less.  He still answers personal ads.  He finds a couple girls that are interesting to him, and I start getting jealous.  wow, wasn't expecting that reaction at all.  But that's ok, it was my problem and I could deal with it.  I am willing to be a friend.  My friend has his car break down, his girl dump him, can't find another job right away so he moves in with his uncle (luckily his uncle lives in Pittsburgh which is onlly about an hour drive from me.)  So my friend, packs up his worldly belongings, and moves to Pittsburgh.  I am there to meet him about 2 weeks later, (His uncle is amazed at his nephew's romantic prowess. lol)

So to make a long story short, he and I date for about 2 years then I move in with him (he's moved out of his uncle's place long before that).  We get married about 1 1/2 years after first "meeting" online through the personals ad.  We are going to celebrate our 4 year anniversary in about 3 weeks. 

So what my point is, just be patient, nothing is simple, sometimes it doesn't work out the first try.  So as the old saying goes "Try try again".  and if *that* doesn't work try try again some more.

The old saying goes that you find what you are looking for least when you expect it and when you aren't actually looking for it.  So relax.  Have fun. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me Patty. I was just disappointed because it was the first try I've made. I'm not expecting to have everything just fall in my lap, but I would at least like to meet a couple of people actually interested corresponding with me.

Meat Loaf is your big brother, isn't he
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x_5Eo5F1HwBU8OjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12jmkli6e/EXP=1167025273/**http%3a//eil.com/newGallery/Meat-Loaf-And-The-Neverland-47609.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xeLFI5FiZQAChWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=137s4dsp2/EXP=1167025675/**http%3a//www.galaxymusic.com.au/pix/fimage/Meat_Loaf_Prime_Cuts_EU_CD_FrntCvr_150.jpg

;D Maybe I do look like him.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/24/06 at 4:39 am

Guys you know what, I think this match.com stuff is silly.

I'm not dateable, I need to move on.

I just don't have the will in me to try anymore.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/24/06 at 4:42 am

Thanks for trying to help me everyone, you did your best. You can only do so much for a person, though.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/24/06 at 4:44 am

When I was cruising the personals online (years ago, mind you)...I never really liked match.com.  I never found it to be especially helpful.  I never tried e-harmoney because it wasn't around in those days.  I had success with yahoo personals most of all and I also had some success with another online personals, but it wasn't a largely advertised place, and I forget the name of it now.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/24/06 at 4:49 am

When I was cruising the personals online (years ago, mind you)...I never really liked match.com.  I never found it to be especially helpful.  I never tried e-harmoney because it wasn't around in those days.  I had success with yahoo personals most of all and I also had some success with another online personals, but it wasn't a largely advertised place, and I forget the name of it now.

I sent in my money order to subscribe to match.com

However it was probably a waste. I don't feel like trying anymore, I realised tonight who I want I already know, but theres no way it will happen. I'm not boyfriend material.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/24/06 at 9:08 pm

Don't give up the ship Alex, it has not even set sail yet. :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/06 at 9:09 pm

I sent in my money order to subscribe to match.com

However it was probably a waste. I don't feel like trying anymore, I realised tonight who I want I already know, but theres no way it will happen. I'm not boyfriend material.

Don't give up Alex, never! You'll find someone if you really want to.

Written By: Tam on 12/26/06 at 1:19 am

Hey Alex.
Merry Christmas!

I have known you on the boards for almost 2 years now, and along the way I think we have established a friendship to the point where I can be honest with you. I am not going to give you advice, because it has been proven in the past to not work for you. Instead, I am just going to call a spade a spade and hope that you read the words and gain a little insight from it.

First of all... the negativity you have about yourself is really getting old. You need to be honest with yourself first before you can seriously find the one you are looking for. If you are down on yourself it will definitely be hard for someone to be 'up' about you. Believe it or not, no matter how you try to portray yourself, your inner doubts and insecurities shine through and people pick up on those quicker than they pick up on the positives.

Secondly, if you want something done, YOU need to make it happen. You can't rely on others to boost your self confidence or to make you feel like you have a worth. Don't waste your time on people who aren't giving you what you need. Cut your losses and get out and/or get over it. Trust me, there is no point in putting your all into something that you know full well isn't going to happen.

Thirdly, don't compromise who you are for someone else. You are a very intellectual person. Don't try to be someone you're not in hopes of attracting that 'certain someone.' You can't make someone like you or want to be with you. And you won't be happy with yourself because you will know deep down that it simply isn't you.

Fourth, I think you're getting out of Texas is a brilliant idea. You have been here too long and you have conformed to everything that everyone else wants. It's about time you do for Alex. I commend you!

Your first post with the ad impressed me to no end. Why? Because like others have said, your outlook appeared to have changed. Good for you. That being said, just because you receive replies but no one wants to hook up doesn't mean it is the end of the world. Keep that little bit of positivity that you had to start with. Good things come to those who wait, and eventually what you are looking for will make an appearance. Let's just hope you aren't in a bad mood or ready to pick a fight at the drop of a hat when it does! ;)

I guess I lied because this next part if going to sound like advice.
When you do meet someone new, don't kill them with your intellect. Don't dominate the conversation or try to make them see and agree with your point of view. That's not to say that you can show your smarts, just ease back a little bit. The first time I was ever in the voice chat with you - you 'bout killed me with your political talk, not to mention that jacks, Odyssey or I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

My Grandmother used to tell me "... when you are created, there are two of you. One half is placed where you are the othe other half, your soul-mate, is placed in a different location. You go through life looking for that other half. Some travel for 50 years before they find it. But in the end, the two halves are always reunited..." I firmly believe this Alex, and I also believe there is someone out there for you. Just don't give up.

Tam

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/26/06 at 1:40 am

Guys you know what, I think this match.com stuff is silly.

I'm not dateable, I need to move on.

I just don't have the will in me to try anymore.
"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

-Alfred to Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins

Keep trying, Dude.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 12:08 pm

Hey Alex.
Merry Christmas!

I have known you on the boards for almost 2 years now, and along the way I think we have established a friendship to the point where I can be honest with you. I am not going to give you advice, because it has been proven in the past to not work for you. Instead, I am just going to call a spade a spade and hope that you read the words and gain a little insight from it.

First of all... the negativity you have about yourself is really getting old. You need to be honest with yourself first before you can seriously find the one you are looking for. If you are down on yourself it will definitely be hard for someone to be 'up' about you. Believe it or not, no matter how you try to portray yourself, your inner doubts and insecurities shine through and people pick up on those quicker than they pick up on the positives.

Secondly, if you want something done, YOU need to make it happen. You can't rely on others to boost your self confidence or to make you feel like you have a worth. Don't waste your time on people who aren't giving you what you need. Cut your losses and get out and/or get over it. Trust me, there is no point in putting your all into something that you know full well isn't going to happen.

Thirdly, don't compromise who you are for someone else. You are a very intellectual person. Don't try to be someone you're not in hopes of attracting that 'certain someone.' You can't make someone like you or want to be with you. And you won't be happy with yourself because you will know deep down that it simply isn't you.

Fourth, I think you're getting out of Texas is a brilliant idea. You have been here too long and you have conformed to everything that everyone else wants. It's about time you do for Alex. I commend you!

Your first post with the ad impressed me to no end. Why? Because like others have said, your outlook appeared to have changed. Good for you. That being said, just because you receive replies but no one wants to hook up doesn't mean it is the end of the world. Keep that little bit of positivity that you had to start with. Good things come to those who wait, and eventually what you are looking for will make an appearance. Let's just hope you aren't in a bad mood or ready to pick a fight at the drop of a hat when it does! ;)

When you do meet someone new, don't kill them with your intellect. Don't dominate the conversation or try to make them see and agree with your point of view. That's not to say that you can show your smarts, just ease back a little bit. The first time I was ever in the voice chat with you - you 'bout killed me with your political talk, not to mention that jacks, Odyssey or I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

My Grandmother used to tell me "... when you are created, there are two of you. One half is placed where you are the othe other half, your soul-mate, is placed in a different location. You go through life looking for that other half. Some travel for 50 years before they find it. But in the end, the two halves are always reunited..." I firmly believe this Alex, and I also believe there is someone out there for you. Just don't give up.

Tam

karma+++++ Tam...that was beautifully put! :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/26/06 at 1:25 pm

Don't give up the ship Alex, it has not even set sail yet. :-\\

Don't give up Alex, never! You'll find someone if you really want to.

Thanks guys. I guess I won't give up.

Wow, all good words of advice Tam. Thank you. I'll try to remember everything you said. :)

Tam

I really had no idea, Tam. I didn't realise I did that. I apologise.

Yeah, I'm kinda like Andrew(Apricot/Tubeway General), I really have trouble with normal, everyday "shooting the s***" conversations. I'm a thousand times more comfortable at intellectual conversations.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

-Alfred to Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins

Keep trying, Dude.

Thanks Al. 8)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/27/06 at 10:15 pm

Crap..my subscription to Match.com still isn't activated.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/06 at 11:27 pm

Crap..my subscription to Match.com still isn't activated.

how's the Myspace thing going? It looks like you've connected with a few ladies. ???

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 12:13 am

how's the Myspace thing going? It looks like you've connected with a few ladies. ???

Yes a few of my friend requests were accepted. Right now I'm focusing on finding women there that interest me and adding them as friends. When I get down to Florida I can focus on getting to know each one of them and just seeing where things go. Being new in town gives me an advantage because I don't know anyone, I'll need someone to show me around. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 12:47 am

I don't like dispensing unsolicited advice, but I will in order to keep people from p*ssing away their hard earned cash. 

Gentlemen, avoid match.com. 
It's a haven for gold-diggers and raging divorcees on the rebound.  Furthermore, the ratio of men to women 5:1 at best.  This problem is exacerbated by the vast numbers of female profiles that are either expired or out-and-out phony. 

Keep your credit card in your pocket and just say no.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/28/06 at 3:36 am

Thanks for trying to help me everyone, you did your best. You can only do so much for a person, though.

I share these 3 quotes with you, that have meant something to me, and perhaps will to you:

"Face yourself, stay true to yourself, don't lose yourself in others' expectations. Take your dreams and make them true. Don't lose the silver thread." -Pete Townshend

"A gold medal is a wonderful thing...but if you're not enough of a person without it, you'll never be enough with it." -Coach Irving Blitzer, "Cool Runnings"

"I'm still standing, better than I ever did...loking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid." -Sir Elton John

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/28/06 at 8:20 am

Yes a few of my friend requests were accepted. Right now I'm focusing on finding women there that interest me and adding them as friends. When I get down to Florida I can focus on getting to know each one of them and just seeing where things go. Being new in town gives me an advantage because I don't know anyone, I'll need someone to show me around. ;)

that's cool, Alex. 8)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 5:47 pm

I don't like dispensing unsolicited advice, but I will in order to keep people from p*ssing away their hard earned cash. 

Gentlemen, avoid match.com. 
It's a haven for gold-diggers and raging divorcees on the rebound.  Furthermore, the ratio of men to women 5:1 at best.  This problem is exacerbated by the vast numbers of female profiles that are either expired or out-and-out phony. 

Keep your credit card in your pocket and just say no.

And that's all I have to say about that.

I already sent in my money order.

But so far I like the women I've found on myspace better. Don't want to waste my money though so when my subscription is activated I'll still be using Match.com as well

Although, I'm not particularly wary of divorcees.

Written By: Tia on 12/28/06 at 5:53 pm

But so far I like the women I've found on myspace better. Don't want to waste my money though so when my subscription is activated I'll still be using Match.com as well

obvious problem with myspace -- most of those girls aren't gonna be local!

the long-distance thing can, and usually is, a pain.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 5:57 pm

obvious problem with myspace -- most of those girls aren't gonna be local!

You can browse for women within a certain amount of miles from any zip code of your choosing which is what I've done. They're all in the southern part of Florida if not Miami(the ones I've added/contacted).

Written By: Tia on 12/28/06 at 6:08 pm

You can browse for women within a certain amount of miles from any zip code of your choosing which is what I've done. They're all in the southern part of Florida if not Miami(the ones I've added/contacted).
oh, i didn't know that feature existed. i just look for girls who are under 18.

as you were.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/28/06 at 6:32 pm

My brother found someone on Match.com this last year and is very happy with her.

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 6:34 pm

My brother found someone on Match.com this last year and is very happy with her.

wow...that's good news. i wondered how well those things went.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/29/06 at 8:16 pm

GREAT news!! :)

My subscription is finally activated and I got an unsolicited wink from a woman already. Which is awesome because shes not just responding to me, she actually sought me out first. According to profile she likes music and going to concerts, is an animal lover and works at a computer training center. I don't really seem to fit what she put down for her match at all, so she must have really liked my profile.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/29/06 at 8:55 pm

GREAT news!! :)

My subscription is finally activated and I got an unsolicited wink from a woman already. Which is awesome because shes not just responding to me, she actually sought me out first. According to profile she likes music and going to concerts, is an animal lover and works at a computer training center. I don't really seem to fit what she put down for her match at all, so she must have really liked my profile.
very cool Alex. you're on your way to the promised land  8)

Written By: KKay on 12/29/06 at 10:05 pm

very cool Alex. you're on your way to the promised land  8)

that's cool! i'm glad that is working out.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/30/06 at 5:00 am

Well since I can now send e-mails I have e-mailed 10 women. Wish me luck. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/30/06 at 9:56 pm

Well since I can now send e-mails I have e-mailed 10 women. Wish me luck. :)

good luck, man! ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/04/07 at 2:23 pm

Hey Alex, if you're interested here's another personals site you might want to check out, it's free and I figure it might be worth your while to look into it:

http://www.plentyoffish.com/

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/07 at 2:41 pm

Cool I'll look into it Al, thanks.

Match.com isn't going all that great right now(figures, since thats the one I spent money on!), MySpace is fairing better... I've been talking to this real nice girl from Lehigh Acres, which is kinda close to Ft.Myers... Her name is Mary...

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 1:44 am

Well things seem to be going very well with Mary so far, we seem to be hitting it off...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/07 at 1:45 am

I thought this thread was locked  :-\\

Well things seem to be going very well with Mary so far, we seem to be hitting it off...
where does Mary reside?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 1:48 am

where does Mary reside?

Lehigh Acres, Florida

Its close to Ft. Myers...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 1:48 am

Cool I'll look into it Al, thanks.

Match.com isn't going all that great right now(figures, since thats the one I spent money on!), MySpace is fairing better... I've been talking to this real nice girl from Lehigh Acres, which is kinda close to Ft.Myers... Her name is Mary...
Is Mary quite contrary?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 1:50 am

Is Mary quite contrary?

Nah, shes cross-eyed. (Jethro Tull reference)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/07 at 1:52 am

Lehigh Acres, Florida

Its close to Ft. Myers...
you guys still going to Florida for work?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 1:54 am

you guys still going to Florida for work?

Mmhmm, we heard from my dad's friend the other day, and the guy hes getting the contract with will be getting back into town about the 15th, so anytime after that we could get the call to come on down. Money won't be too much of an issue in getting moved since we'll be making so much, we'll have the money in a couple of weeks of working...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/07 at 1:56 am

Mmhmm, we heard from my dad's friend the other day, and the guy hes getting the contract with will be getting back into town about the 15th, so anytime after that we could get the call to come on down. Money won't be too much of an issue in getting moved since we'll be making so much, we'll have the money in a couple of weeks of working...
you staying permanently or coming back to the lone star state.  money will definitle help and if you get your own transportation, that will be huge.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 1:58 am

you staying permanently or coming back to the lone star state.  money will definitle help and if you get your own transportation, that will be huge.

Oh I'm staying, I have no plans to ever return to Texas.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 2:01 am

Mary is an older woman btw. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/naughty.gif

She is 9 years and 9 months older than me.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/05/07 at 2:04 am

Bon chance!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 2:06 am

Bon chance!

Whats that mean? Good luck?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/07 at 2:06 am

Mary is an older woman btw. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/naughty.gif

that sounds like the demographic you're aiming for

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 2:08 am

that sounds like the demographic you're aiming for

Mmhmm, basically about 25-31 or so. I've talked to/messaged a few who are older and a few who are younger though.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 2:09 am

She live pretty close to where you're moving?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 2:20 am

She live pretty close to where you're moving?

Yeah Lehigh Acres is about an hour and a half to two hours away, depending on where exactly I live(the Miami area is on a north-south line, so the farther north I live the closer I'll be, so if I live in West Palm Beach as oppose to Ft.Lauderdale I'll be closer) and traffic. So I guess its a LITTLE far, but its still in south Florida. She works at Wal-Mart so her job isn't something that would keep her from moving, and once I get done with cooking school I can pretty much go anywhere and find work.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 2:26 am

Yeah Lehigh Acres is about an hour and a half to two hours away, depending on where exactly I live(the Miami area is on a north-south line, so the farther north I live the closer I'll be, so if I live in West Palm Beach as oppose to Ft.Lauderdale I'll be closer) and traffic. So I guess its a LITTLE far, but its still in south Florida. She works at Wal-Mart so her job isn't something that would keep her from moving, and once I get done with cooking school I can pretty much go anywhere and find work.
I hope things keep going well and you can meet up with her when you get down there. It would be really cool to have someone take you around and show you some cool places.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 2:28 am

I hope things keep going well and you can meet up with her when you get down there. It would be really cool to have someone take you around and show you some cool places.

Definitely. Maybe if things go well later on we can have a cool nighttime beach date. The beach at night=ultra, ultra romantic.

Shes a bit of a country girl, and its South Florida so I think I may be putting "I Love A Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbit to good use. :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/05/07 at 2:38 am

Whats that mean? Good luck?

Yes- it's French.

(BTW- Women love a man who knows his French.)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 2:39 am

So the odds are, you'll be down in Florida by the end of the month?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 3:38 am

So the odds are, you'll be down in Florida by the end of the month?

Yup.

(BTW- Women love a man who knows his French.)

I'm not sure if it would impress this woman, but yeah women in general like it.

I do however speak good, Castillian Spanish. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/naughty.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 3:43 am

Yup.
Oh sure, you'll be down in Florida on the beach and in the sun and I'll be up here in Missouri freezing my ass off.

Bastard.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 3:48 am

Oh sure, you'll be down in Florida on the beach and in the sun and I'll be up here in Missouri freezing my ass off.

Bastard.

;D Sorry man. Maybe karma will cheer you up, or karamel.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 4:12 am

;D Sorry man. Maybe karma will cheer you up, or karamel.
It's all right, no need to apologize.  :)

No seriously, I think it's great that you can go somewhere and make a fresh start.

One thing, though: If you're gonna be making as much dough as you're thinking, and you're gonna be young and single in South Florida, you've just got to get yourself a badass ride. May I humbly suggest one of these?  ;)

http://i.cnn.net/money/2007/01/04/autos/camaro_convertible_concept/camaro_cnvt.03.jpg

Oh yeah, and karma backatcha.

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 2:30 pm

It's all right, no need to apologize.  :)

No seriously, I think it's great that you can go somewhere and make a fresh start.

One thing, though: If you're gonna be making as much dough as you're thinking, and you're gonna be young and single in South Florida, you've just got to get yourself a badass ride. May I humbly suggest one of these?  ;)

http://i.cnn.net/money/2007/01/04/autos/camaro_convertible_concept/camaro_cnvt.03.jpg

Oh yeah, and karma backatcha.

Nah.. Get yourself a Classic Ride... Timeless and one that Oozes Sex! Like this...

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 7:55 pm

^Umm, is that a mustang?

And my correspondence with Mary is still going well, I just replied to another message from her. :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:05 pm

Cool she already messaged me back. She must like me to spend her Friday evening talking to me, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 8:06 pm

Cool she already messaged me back. She must like me to spend her Friday evening talking to me, lol.

Did you meet her on Myspace, Alex?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/05/07 at 8:10 pm

Nah.. Get yourself a Classic Ride... Timeless and one that Oozes Sex! Like this...

A Mustang is one of those "my penis is too small, so I'm overcompensating for my shortcomings" car.  Unless of course that's what you want.

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/05/07 at 8:21 pm

A Mustang is one of those "my penis is too small, so I'm overcompensating for my shortcomings" car.  Unless of course that's what you want.

Don't ever date a chick that drives a Mustang.  :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:35 pm

Nevermind.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/05/07 at 8:37 pm

Don't ever date a chick that drives a Mustang.  :o

;D  ;D  ;D

It doesn't apply when we females drive them.  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:38 pm

Well I guess I won't be dating this Mary chick now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 8:38 pm

Well I guess I won't be dating this Mary chick now.

why not? Does she already have a boyfriend?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:41 pm

why not? Does she already have a boyfriend?

no, you'll read why in the other thread. :\'( :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 8:42 pm

no, you'll read why in the other thread. :\'( :\'(

I'm really sorry man, I know how much you were looking forward to this. :-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:46 pm

I'm really sorry man, I know how much you were looking forward to this. :-\\

Thanks Erin...

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:52 pm

Well crap I don't know what to do now. It seems like I wasted 54$ on Match.com and I can't change my MySpace address either which is soflo_gourmet

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 8:54 pm

Well crap I don't know what to do now. It seems like I wasted 54$ on Match.com and I can't change my MySpace address either which is soflo_gourmet

Well...you could still keep your myspace address...just change the location on your profile. :-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 8:56 pm

Well...you could still keep your myspace address...just change the location on your profile. :-\\

Yeah you're right I need to do that I guess... change it back to... *shudders* Tyler, Texas

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 9:02 pm

Its done. lesigh

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 9:02 pm

Its done. lesigh

did you tell Mary that plans have changed?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 9:03 pm

did you tell Mary that plans have changed?

Shes not online now, I'll wait til later

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 9:19 pm

well I guess I'll search for women in the Tyler area now on MySpace..maybe that will make me feel better

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 11:28 am

Well my search isn't going so good.

This area has an EXTREMELY crappy selection compared to South Florida. 98% of the women whose profiles I looked at were either out of my league or just hideous.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 11:32 am

Ugh, I feel like crap.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/06/07 at 11:42 am

Well my search isn't going so good.

This area has an EXTREMELY crappy selection compared to South Florida. 98% of the women whose profiles I looked at were either out of my league or just hideous.

Then just wait until you move?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/06/07 at 11:44 am

Then just wait until you move?

....he's not moving.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/06/07 at 11:44 am

....he's not moving.

O... Oh...

It's been hard to follow everything. >_<

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 11:47 am

Yeah Florida fell through.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now...

I'd move back in with my mom up in Dallas if I could, but I can't.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 11:52 am

I guess I'm going to be avoided like the plague now.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 11:55 am

Yeah thats about right...

Been in the chat for like 10 minutes and noone came in there.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/07 at 12:18 pm

ugh whats the point? I might as well give up

Written By: Davester on 01/06/07 at 2:04 pm

ugh whats the point? I might as well give up

You weren't supposed to change your screen name...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Jones.gif

Sorry...

Subject: Re: Personals, the quest begins for AL-B

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/07/07 at 7:35 am

Since The Dude is no longer with us, I thought I'd take this opportunity to hijack this thread and share with you my own venture into the world of personal ads/dating websites.

A few days back, I was at a friend's house when she went ahead and registered me for a free dating website that she's on. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea, but I reluctantly agreed and let her set me up with an account.

Now I might have registered for a dating website or two in the past, but when it came to filling in the essay questions I've always drawn a complete blank. And if you've ever checked out the personal ads they're almost always the same.

"Hi, my name's so-and-so, my interests include blah, blah, blah, I'm looking for someone who blah, blah, blah, and my turnoffs include blah, blah, blah.

Then there's a section you fill out about what you'd do on a first date, and they usually say something like, "My ideal first date would be blah, blah, blah, blah, blah (usually having something to do with being informal and getting to know each other better).

Well, I sat on it for a few days and hadn't the slightest clue as to how to go about it when a light bulb went off in my head. I figured what the hell, it's free and I've got nothing to lose, why not just fill it out with some of my inthe00s shtick and see what happens?  I'm not expecting a whole lot of responses, I'm guessing that most women will be creeped out by my profile but there also might be a few who'll get the humor in it and might be intrigued. A good (and somewhat warped) sense of humor is an absolute must for me, and I thought this might be a good way to weed out the humorless prigs. Anyway, I just figured I'd have a little fun with it:

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member3111525.htm

Couple more things:

1.) The picture I used for my main image is one of the very worst photos ever taken of me (some of you might remember that I had it as my avatar before I stumbled across the tongue-toilet...actually I wanted to use the tongue-toilet but the animation wouldn't work on that website) but it's also one of my absolute favorites because I look like such a smug a**hole, and it's such a great contrast to my headline.

2.) Tia, I hate to be an unoriginal bastard or anything but I liked the phrase "pure as the driven snow" so much and it fit in so well with the rest of what I put down that I just had to borrow it.

Let me know what you think.

Written By: La Roche on 01/07/07 at 8:31 am

Since The Dude is no longer with us, I thought I'd take this opportunity to hijack this thread and share with you my own venture into the world of personal ads/dating websites.

A few days back, I was at a friend's house when she went ahead and registered me for a free dating website that she's on. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea, but I reluctantly agreed and let her set me up with an account.

Now I might have registered for a dating website or two in the past, but when it came to filling in the essay questions I've always drawn a complete blank. And if you've ever checked out the personal ads they're almost always the same.

"Hi, my name's so-and-so, my interests include blah, blah, blah, I'm looking for someone who blah, blah, blah, and my turnoffs include blah, blah, blah.

Then there's a section you fill out about what you'd do on a first date, and they usually say something like, "My ideal first date would be blah, blah, blah, blah, blah (usually having something to do with being informal and getting to know each other better).

Well, I sat on it for a few days and hadn't the slightest clue as to how to go about it when a light bulb went off in my head. I figured what the hell, it's free and I've got nothing to lose, why not just fill it out with some of my inthe00s shtick and see what happens?  I'm not expecting a whole lot of responses, I'm guessing that most women will be creeped out by my profile but there also might be a few who'll get the humor in it and might be intrigued. A good (and somewhat warped) sense of humor is an absolute must for me, and I thought this might be a good way to weed out the humorless prigs. Anyway, I just figured I'd have a little fun with it:

Couple more things:

1.) The picture I used for my main image is one of the very worst photos ever taken of me (some of you might remember that I had it as my avatar before I stumbled across the tongue-toilet...actually I wanted to use the tongue-toilet but the animation wouldn't work on that website) but it's also one of my absolute favorites because I look like such a smug a**hole, and it's such a great contrast to my headline.

2.) Tia, I hate to be an unoriginal bastard or anything but I liked the phrase "pure as the driven snow" so much and it fit in so well with the rest of what I put down that I just had to borrow it.

Watcha doin Friday? I have tickets to the International Grammar rodeo.

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/07/07 at 10:39 am

Couple more things:

Looks great, Al.  Let us know how that works out for you.  8)

Written By: Abix on 01/07/07 at 11:55 am

^Umm, is that a mustang?

And my correspondence with Mary is still going well, I just replied to another message from her. :)

yes indeed, it IS a Mustang. A 1967 Shelby to be exact.

Written By: Abix on 01/07/07 at 11:58 am

[quote author=

Written By: La Roche on 01/07/07 at 1:03 pm

Psha.

Talk about your classics.

http://www.ok-classics.com/pics-large/cars/z28.jpg > http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PF%5C312005/PF_1335157~Shelby-Mustang-Posters.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/07 at 2:03 am

Okay so here is the updated version I wrote for Match.com(whom I'll get a sub with instead of Yahoo! personals):

Headline: Lets take a chance together.

My passions include cooking, the outdoors(the beach!), the Spanish language and I have an urge to want to help out in the world. Later in life after I come to a more secure place financially I'd really like to get involved with charities.

If this sounds good to you we should exchange e-mail and see where things go. No better time to live life than now. I'm not looking for a cheap fling, so don't worry about anything like that. I'm a perfectly respectable gentleman..within reason. ;-)"
Sometimes I wonder how things are going for Alex/El_Duderino/deadrockstar ?  Has anyone kept in touch with him lately? I wonder if he has changed the way he feels about himself and if he considers himself boyfriend material or is he still wallowing in the mire ???  I miss the guy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 2:30 am

Sometimes I wonder how things are going for Alex/El_Duderino/deadrockstar ?  Has anyone kept in touch with him lately? I wonder if he has changed the way he feels about himself and if he considers himself boyfriend material or is he still wallowing in the mire ???  I miss the guy.
I talked to him about a week or so ago on AIM and he told me that he might be meeting up with some girl he met on MySpace. I'll have to IM him next time I see him on and ask him how things are going.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/07 at 2:41 am

I talked to him about a week or so ago on AIM and he told me that he might be meeting up with some girl he met on MySpace. I'll have to IM him next time I see him on and ask him how things are going.
right on Al, thanks for the update. I'm glad to see he's kept in touch with you and any others, I know he thought of you as his mentor but still had that problem of not doing what was suggested. best of luck to him

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 2:58 am

right on Al, thanks for the update. I'm glad to see he's kept in touch with you and any others, I know he thought of you as his mentor but still had that problem of not doing what was suggested. best of luck to him
Me? A mentor? Ha! I could use one myself sometimes.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...