inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charlie Drake R.I.P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/24/06 at 5:18 am

Just announced on the radio, British comedy star Charlie Drake from the sixties has died. He has been poorly over the last few years.

He found chart success with:

Splish Splash 1958 
Volare 1958 
Mr Custer 1960 
My Boomerang Won't Come Back 1961

I will find more details when available.

Subject: Re: Charlie Drake R.I.P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/24/06 at 6:08 am

Comedian Charlie Drake has died aged 81 following a long illness caused by two strokes, his manager has said.
Drake starred in a string of hit TV shows and films in the 1960s and 1970s, and had success with the novelty pop song My Boomerang Won't Come Back.

Laurie Mansfield, his manager for 37 years, called him "the last of the great slapstick comedians".

Drake died in his sleep at a nursing home in Twickenham, west London. He leaves three sons.

He had been living at the Entertainment Artistes' Benevolent Home at Brinsworth House for two years.

Subject: Re: Charlie Drake R.I.P.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/06 at 7:35 am

I remember and loved all those songs.  My condolences.  Mr Custer and My Boomerang were my favorites and still laugh at the lyrics when I hear or sing them.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...