inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Married/or Committed members

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/18/07 at 1:13 pm

So....what do you guys/gals do?  Keep them on, or take them off?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

Subject: Re: Married/or Committed members

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 1:16 pm

I'm neither.  However the only ring I have is my class ring and I only take it off to take a shower because I'm paranoid about it slipping off.  My mom though, she never takes her wedding/engagement rings off for anything. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/07 at 1:51 pm

It too me long enough to get my ring and I'll be godd@mned if I ever take it off.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 1:52 pm

It too me long enough to get my ring and I'll be godd@mned if I ever take it off.

Cat

My mom's of the same opinion.  My parents will be married 35 years come Monday. 

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 2:04 pm

What's this about?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 2:06 pm

What's this about?  ???

Isn't it obvious?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 2:12 pm

Isn't it obvious?

I was just asking,What's she talking about? ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 2:13 pm

I was just asking,What's she talking about? ::)

And I was saying, isn't it obvious?  She's asking married/committed people (those who wear rings) about the rings.  Gee.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 2:14 pm

And I was saying, isn't it obvious?  She's asking married/committed people (those who wear rings) about the rings.  Gee.

Ok,Thanks for letting me know. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/18/07 at 2:24 pm

I am not married, but I am in a committed relationship. I don't know if and when we'll take that step, but I think I'd wear a ring on a necklace as I lose things like that quite often and that is why I never wear any rings at all.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 2:35 pm

I would like to get married but I don't think it's a good idea for the both of us.Maybe Her And I should stay Boyfriend/Girlfriend for a couple of years until we get rid of some issues.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/18/07 at 2:35 pm

Depends on my mood.

Some days the ring just annoys me, especially if I'm retaining water.

I took my ring off about a week ago and I've forgotten to put it back on.  

Written By: Apricot on 01/18/07 at 2:40 pm

I'm not married, but if I may..

I wouldn't, like, take it off to go out to social stuff, but if I was, like, doing something I might lose it, I wouldn't wear it.. like, lengthy business trips, I probably wouldn't, because I know me, I'd lose it.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/18/07 at 2:41 pm

What's this about?  ???

Nothing perverted, I assure you  ;D

Its about wedding rings or engagement rings.

Written By: La Roche on 01/18/07 at 2:56 pm

Psha. If I were married, it'd come off all the time.

Marriage is an outdated concept. It goes against basic human nature. Granted, instead of impregnating every woman in the local vicinity it makes sense to take precautions, but still.. it's not a big deal. Marriage is just an institution set up by the virulent monotheistic filth merchants. It means nothing at all.

The same people who go around having sex with young children say it's wrong for somebody to get their jollys in more than one place. Phuck that.

Written By: Apricot on 01/18/07 at 3:02 pm

Marriage is an outdated concept. It goes against basic human nature.

I'm not the biggest proponent of marriage, but it's really not all human nature. It's the nature of man. Men are supposed to be biologically inclined to impregnate as much as possible to create a diverse gene pool and increase the chances of a successful conception.. now women, on the other hand, are supposedly biologically inclined to find one permanent and suitable mate to provide for her and the child in the same way, to ensure that the concieved child actually survives.

Written By: La Roche on 01/18/07 at 3:04 pm

I'm not the biggest proponent of marriage, but it's really not all human nature. It's the nature of man. Men are supposed to be biologically inclined to impregnate as much as possible to create a diverse gene pool and increase the chances of a successful conception.. now women, on the other hand, are supposedly biologically inclined to find one permanent and suitable mate to provide for her and the child in the same way, to ensure that the concieved child actually survives.

Yeah, but guys can generally run faster.  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/18/07 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, but guys can generally run faster.  ;D

That's not true  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 3:05 pm

Nothing perverted, I assure you  ;D

Its about wedding rings or engagement rings.

Marriage is a hard thought out process.It takes time and patience,maybe that person doesn't want to get married and live as boyfriend/girlfriend,Then what do you do? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 3:06 pm

Marriage is a hard thought out process.It takes time and patience,maybe that person doesn't want to get married and live as boyfriend/girlfriend,Then what do you do? ???

Howard, you're overthinking this poll. 

Written By: Howard on 01/18/07 at 3:07 pm

Howard, you're overthinking this poll. 

I guess I am overthinking it a bit.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/18/07 at 4:09 pm

I rarely take mine off because if I forget to put it back on, I freak.  It drives hubby crazy because I wear it doing things he thinks I shouldn't (okay, so I really shouldn't, but if I don't, I freak out thinking I lost it in the lake, dirt, pool, whatever) ;D  He rarely wears his, though, and it drives me crazy....especially when he goes on long business trips....not that I have any reason to not trust him, and I know it's an old wives' tale that men cheat when they're on business trips, but he used to wear it all the time UNTIL he started travelling ???

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/18/07 at 4:20 pm

When i was engaged i wore my engagement ring all the time,not really 'cause of the commitment but 'cause it was this beautiful antique ring that belonged to my ex-fianc

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 4:47 pm

I didn't vote because my situation is weird. I do have a gorgeous ring that Spock bought me, but at the moment it doesn't fit my finger. :-[ If it did, I'd be wearing it all the time. I should probably just wear it on a chain.

We both had plain wedding bands, but I lost mine while I was working and his disappeared this past month. Really freaky.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/18/07 at 5:03 pm

I am married, but I admit my ring comes off for the following reasons:
-Sleeping
-Showering
-Polishing said ring

I want to make something clear, concerning this issue:
I am married, not dead.

When I see someone who I acknowledge as beautiful by my standards, I will give them sttention while they are in view. Then, I take that feeling, and turn it onto my wife, Melissa, when I get back home.

Friends, just remember: You can acknowledge beauty, when you're married.
Keep in mind that it's eye candy, not an invitation.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/07 at 5:07 pm

I used to wear my ring all the time. About 12 years ago, while welding, a glob of molten metal went
inside my glove and landed on my ring. The ring heated up immediately and burned my finger. I haven't
worn a ring since, but I have a wedding band scar around my finger, does that mean anything?

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 5:09 pm

I used to wear my ring all the time. About 12 years ago, while welding, a glob of molten metal went
inside my glove and landed on my ring. The ring heated up immediately and burned my finger. I haven't
worn a ring since, but I have a wedding band scar around my finger, does that mean anything?

Ouch!

Well at least you never have to worry that you're going to lose it! ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/07 at 5:22 pm

Ouch!

Well at least you never have to worry that you're going to lose it! ;D

That's what I tell ny wife. I don't need the ring, I have a permanent reminder.  ;D

I never did get the ring repolished, it is still a lovely shade of purple and blue.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/18/07 at 6:29 pm

I have my wedding ring and a diamond butterfly ring that my husband gave me, and I regard them equally.  I have them off more often than on.  As soon as I come home from wherever I am I take all my jewelry off.  I don't know why - it's just something I do.  But I always put them on if I'm going out, even if I'm going to the store in my sweat pants.  My husband never takes his ring off - I think he's afraid he'll lose it if he does.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/18/07 at 6:42 pm

I got my engagement ring in December '05 and it was a little too big (well, probly cuz of the cold)  Now my fingers like to swell up a lot, so I just keep it on 24/7.  Better to leave it on than getting massive blisters for trying to squeeze it off everytime I shower or wash my hands.

BTW, I want to get my engagement and wedding rings soldered before the wedding and probably should get them resized as well.  Anyone know what kinda cost I can expect for that?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/18/07 at 6:46 pm

I got my engagement ring in December '05 and it was a little too big (well, probly cuz of the cold)  Now my fingers like to swell up a lot, so I just keep it on 24/7.  Better to leave it on than getting massive blisters for trying to squeeze it off everytime I shower or wash my hands.

BTW, I want to get my engagement and wedding rings soldered before the wedding and probably should get them resized as well.  Anyone know what kinda cost I can expect for that?

It should be free if you go to the place that originally sold them to your fiance.  Mine were anyway.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/18/07 at 7:27 pm

i have a friend at work, she's quite a hottie & has been having marital problems. I always gotta hear from the other guys here at work how hot she is. Everyday!  >:(  back to her marital problems. she's temporarily seperated & stopped wearing her ring  :o  she's not doing it to be available, just that she's got issues to work out & she's still not sure she's gonna go back to hubby yet, but she may. No sooner than she stops wearing the ring, then I got 2 guys in 2 days asking me if she's not married anymore, one even asked her out. Of course she declined the offer but I was amazed at the speed at which she was approached. i told her and she was shocked that the guys noticed and i told her i wasn't. 

as for me, I always wear mine except when I'm playing softball & I take it off most every night along with a ring I wear on my other hand that I was given as an anniversary gift from my company I work for. Lady Di never takes hers off  8)

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/18/07 at 8:17 pm

After my ex-wife and I separated, it was weird not to wear a ring.  But I got used to it. :P

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/18/07 at 9:25 pm

I'm not married, but when I do, I know I'll never take the ring off, unless I'm in the shower. My boyfriend bought me a ring, and that's the only time I ever take it off. It just feels weird when it's not on my finger now.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/18/07 at 9:46 pm

I will get a new ring when I can afford it :)  I want a nice one this time...it needs to shoot energy bolts at bad guys and stuff.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 9:53 pm

I didn't vote because my situation is weird. I do have a gorgeous ring that Spock bought me, but at the moment it doesn't fit my finger. :-[ If it did, I'd be wearing it all the time. I should probably just wear it on a chain.

I have a very similar problem...  only my ring won't come off anymore... so yeah, I wear it all the time.

(For the record, I probably wouldn't take it off even if I lost a few pounds)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/18/07 at 10:40 pm

I never take my rings off...well, the only time I do is when I am making meatloaf and I don't want them to get all yicky....but I treasure them SO much....they are my most valueable of material possessions....they mean the world to me, because even though Chris couldn't really afford to get something very expensive...he did because he wanted me to get the ring that I truly wanted.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 10:43 pm

I never take my rings off...well, the only time I do is when I am making meatloaf and I don't want them to get all yicky....but I treasure them SO much....they are my most valueable of material possessions....they mean the world to me, because even though Chris couldn't really afford to get something very expensive...he did because he wanted me to get the ring that I truly wanted.

My husband asked me to go with him to get the ring (we had been talking about marriage for awhile, so it wasn't really the whole surprise "Will you marry me" bit)  He told me to pick out any one I wanted... but the one I honestly wanted was only about $300...  he kept asking "Are you sure?"  I love my ring, I wouldn't trade it for any other one.

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 11:10 pm

My husband asked me to go with him to get the ring (we had been talking about marriage for awhile, so it wasn't really the whole surprise "Will you marry me" bit)  He told me to pick out any one I wanted... but the one I honestly wanted was only about $300...  he kept asking "Are you sure?"  I love my ring, I wouldn't trade it for any other one.

That's how I am. The first ring that Rice bought me was an $11 garnet and silver ring from ebay. That was a promise/engagement ring. The second ring was a wedding band that was $9 (gotta love Kmart jewelery sales ;D). The last one that doesn't fit me at the moment was one that I found at Target when I was working there.

I don't care if it's expensive. I just want it to be pretty.

Written By: karen on 01/19/07 at 4:55 am

I wear my wedding ring all the time, mainly because I've put on a bit of weight since getting married and it doesn't come off easily. 

I used to wear my engagement ring all the time before I got married, then I switched to wearing it as a dressy thing only.  Now it doesn't fit  :\'(

My husband also has a wedding ring but he doesn't wear it because it easily slips off.  Within a couple of weeks of being married he lost it in the garden.  We found it again but he hasn't worn it since.  We did talk about getting it resized but basically his fingers are a slightly weird shape with a largish knuckle but otherwise thin

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/19/07 at 8:04 am

Like Ash said, if you take it back to where you bought it, sizing is usually free, but I'm not sure about soldering.  My wedding/engagement rings aren't really a "set" so I had to pay to have them sized & soldered and it was <$100.
I wear my wedding ring all the time, mainly because I've put on a bit of weight since getting married and it doesn't come off easily. 

I used to wear my engagement ring all the time before I got married, then I switched to wearing it as a dressy thing only.  Now it doesn't fit  :\'(

My husband also has a wedding ring but he doesn't wear it because it easily slips off.  Within a couple of weeks of being married he lost it in the garden.  We found it again but he hasn't worn it since.  We did talk about getting it resized but basically his fingers are a slightly weird shape with a largish knuckle but otherwise thin
You can get "sizing balls" (or bars) put on it.  What they do is size the ring to the size it needs to be, but since there's space between them, you can still slide the ring over the knuckle.  I have the same issue with my knuckles and have had them in multiple rings.  It also helps to keep rings from twisting around your finger :)

Written By: Gis on 01/19/07 at 9:16 am

i have a friend at work, she's quite a hottie & has been having marital problems. I always gotta hear from the other guys here at work how hot she is. Everyday!  >:(  back to her marital problems. she's temporarily seperated & stopped wearing her ring  :o  she's not doing it to be available, just that she's got issues to work out & she's still not sure she's gonna go back to hubby yet, but she may. No sooner than she stops wearing the ring, then I got 2 guys in 2 days asking me if she's not married anymore, one even asked her out. Of course she declined the offer but I was amazed at the speed at which she was approached. i told her and she was shocked that the guys noticed and i told her i wasn't. 

as for me, I always wear mine except when I'm playing softball & I take it off most every night along with a ring I wear on my other hand that I was given as an anniversary gift from my company I work for. Lady Di never takes hers off  8)
My friend split with her husband a couple of years ago, within 5 weeks, 6, yes 6 of his friends had called round and made a pass at her!  ::)

Written By: Gis on 01/19/07 at 9:22 am

I wear my ring all the time and due to that and the nature of my job the stone is scratched to pieces and probably now worth about

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/07 at 11:44 am

I don't have an engagement ring-just my wedding band-so it does make things easier than having a stone. On my right hand, I have a sterling silver ring that my aunt gave me in a box of junk jewelry when I was 15 (never thought this ring was junk). I loved it then, and still love it now. The only time I have taken it off since I was 15 was when old boyfriends/ex-husband gave me another ring. After I got rid of them, this ring went back on. Carlos has never tried to replace that ring. I have had it on for so long, it is basically part of my finger now. So I have gold on my left hand and silver on my right.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/19/07 at 2:20 pm

I will get a new ring when I can afford it :)  I want a nice one this time...it needs to shoot energy bolts at bad guys and stuff.

Like a superhero?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/19/07 at 2:57 pm

Like Ash said, if you take it back to where you bought it, sizing is usually free, but I'm not sure about soldering.  My wedding/engagement rings aren't really a "set" so I had to pay to have them sized & soldered and it was <$100.

Hmm..the problem is he ordered them online.  They're great quality rings, but I don't know where we could go for that service now

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/19/07 at 3:17 pm

Hmm..the problem is he ordered them online.  They're great quality rings, but I don't know where we could go for that service now

I think you could take it to any jewelry store that does repairs.  I don't think it would cost too much.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/07 at 4:12 pm

I am not married, if I had been I would have been committed....to the mental hospital.  :D  I am in a long term relationship, but am not one for jewelry.  I have a mothers ring, a ring passed down from my ggggranny, and a pearl birthstone.  I won't where a diamond though, what a scam that is.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/19/07 at 4:27 pm

That's not true  ;D

Women have to wait for their baby to come out, while men can still make more while the first mother is pregnant. D=

Written By: whitewolf on 01/19/07 at 4:41 pm

Took mine off today, not sure if it will be going back on.
Never took it off before though-except when I was scared of losing it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/07 at 5:01 pm

I am not married, if I had been I would have been committed....to the mental hospital.  :D  I am in a long term relationship, but am not one for jewelry.  I have a mothers ring, a ring passed down from my ggggranny, and a pearl birthstone.  I won't where a diamond though, what a scam that is.

Carlos feels the same way about diamonds (which is why he never bought me one). However, I must say that I do love diamonds-it is my birthstone.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/07 at 5:15 pm

Carlos feels the same way about diamonds (which is why he never bought me one). However, I must say that I do love diamonds-it is my birthstone.

Cat

Jakes birthstone is diamond, so I was torn, but with the magic of the internet I found that there are multiple birthstones, like mine for June is Pearl, Alexandrite, and Moonstone, Jake in April can be Diamond or Sapphire

www.jewelrycentral.com/BirthstonesChartInfo.html

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/19/07 at 5:36 pm

I'm a July baby, so I get the ruby.

Melissa & I picked out our rings together.
Being simple people with tight budgets, we chose simple-yet-elegant sterling silver bands.
She can't wear yellow gold (allergic), there was no White gold to be found(!), and I couldn't quite afford platinum.

Combined with the fact that we had to pay for our wedding ourselves, we just didn't quite have the funds.
We also weren't able to have a honeymoon. (Will make up for that.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/07 at 5:52 pm

Jakes birthstone is diamond, so I was torn, but with the magic of the internet I found that there are multiple birthstones, like mine for June is Pearl, Alexandrite, and Moonstone, Jake in April can be Diamond or Sapphire

www.jewelrycentral.com/BirthstonesChartInfo.html

The funny thing is, years ago I did tell Carlos that I wanted a ring (of course I was hoping something in the way of an engagement ring). He did get me a sapphire (a fake one, actually) but it was way too big-I have tiny fingers and didn't wear it much for fear of losing it. When he gave it to me, he specificly told me that it was NOT an engagement ring (to my disappointment). Then when he finally asked me to marry him, I asked about an engagement ring and he mentioned about the sapphire. I reminded him that he did stress when he gave it to me that it was NOT an engagement ring. He said, "It is now."  ::)  I don't think of that ring as my engagement ring. Yeah, I am a bit disappointed that I never did get a "real" engagement ring but, I now have the ring that really counts-my wedding band. After 3 years, I still look at it and marvel. I wouldn't trade this ring for all the diamonds in the world.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/19/07 at 5:53 pm

Being simple people with tight budgets, we chose simple-yet-elegant sterling silver bands.
She can't wear yellow gold (allergic), there was no White gold to be found(!), and I couldn't quite afford platinum.

Combined with the fact that we had to pay for our wedding ourselves, we just didn't quite have the funds.

Sterling (white metal) is my favorite.
I wear a plain white gold band.

My engagement ring is a sapphire, I don't wear except when going out.

When I was younger and a newlywed I always said I was going to get a diamond anniversary band on our 10th anniversary.  When 10 years rolled around, I decided to get a curio cabinet instead.   :)

15 years came and I got a couch.

I wonder what 20 years will bring?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/19/07 at 6:01 pm

Like Lorac said, any jewelry store will do it.  I'd suggest trying to find one that has a jeweler on-site.  If not, make sure you ask them HOW they get it to the jeweler.  If they're shipping it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!  We made the dire mistake of not asking that question and mine was stolen by the UPS driver and pawned somewhere in Chicago >:(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/19/07 at 6:03 pm

When I was younger and a newlywed I always said I was going to get a diamond anniversary band on our 10th anniversary. 
I sorta' got mine.....but it was for my birthday 6 months later ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/07 at 6:13 am

The funny thing is, years ago I did tell Carlos that I wanted a ring (of course I was hoping something in the way of an engagement ring). He did get me a sapphire (a fake one, actually) but it was way too big-I have tiny fingers and didn't wear it much for fear of losing it. When he gave it to me, he specificly told me that it was NOT an engagement ring (to my disappointment). Then when he finally asked me to marry him, I asked about an engagement ring and he mentioned about the sapphire. I reminded him that he did stress when he gave it to me that it was NOT an engagement ring. He said, "It is now."  ::)  I don't think of that ring as my engagement ring. Yeah, I am a bit disappointed that I never did get a "real" engagement ring but, I now have the ring that really counts-my wedding band. After 3 years, I still look at it and marvel. I wouldn't trade this ring for all the diamonds in the world.

Cat

Tell Carlos that I said to read this.  Get her an engagement ring, and the second honeymoon to follow  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/07 at 6:49 am

Women have to wait for their baby to come out, while men can still make more while the first mother is pregnant. D=

Men can't make babies? ::)

Written By: KKay on 01/20/07 at 7:12 am

I only take it off to put on moisturizer on the hands or something...but then I forget and they can sit there for days at a time.  It does not matter to me.

Written By: Gis on 01/20/07 at 12:16 pm

It took my Dad until their 25th anniversary to take my Mum on honeymoon.  ;D Mind you they did have to pay for two weddings, one in Germany and one in England.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/07 at 12:37 pm

Tell Carlos that I said to read this.  Get her an engagement ring, and the second honeymoon to follow  ::)

I read your post to him. He didn't seem to pay heed.  :-\\  As for the "second" honeymoon-we never offically had a first but he has taken me to Puerto Rico a few times-and I'm sure we are going to go again-not to mention all the other trips we take from time to time.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/20/07 at 4:47 pm

My hubby gave me his grandmother's rings (engagement and wedding band) they are very old fashioned (from the 1940s) and very pretty but they have tiny diamond chips.  I love them.  I do not wear them all the time, only if I'm getting dressed up for something or maybe if it's something that is official that I feel it would be best to wear my rings.  I do not want to lose them because they mean so much, and would be impossible to replace them exactly.

I know I am married, and anyone that would ask me would know too.  My husband does not wear his wedding band.  I'm not really much of a jewelry person.

Check for new replies or respond here...