inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beds - Part II

Written By: ADH13 on 01/28/07 at 12:39 am

About a year ago I made a thread about waterbeds because I really needed a new bed and wondered if a waterbed is a good idea.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to getting a new bed yet... I'm still sleeping on the same uncomfortable one... but I really REALLY need a new one now..

I know nothing about beds.

Waterbed?
Pillowtop?
Tempur-pedic?
Firm?

Is it worth it to spend over $1K on a mattress?

My lower back will really appreciate any advice!! 8)

Subject: Re: Beds - Part II

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/28/07 at 7:09 am

I just sleep on this very chair I'm sitting on. Saves moving.

But seriously, I don't like waterbeds. I like a relatively firm surface. And really, it doesn't matter how crap the bed is, it's the mattress that counts.

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/07 at 9:20 am

Waterbeds are bad for your back, I think. My friend has a TempurPedic, and even though it was expensive, he said it's worth it.

Written By: KKay on 01/28/07 at 9:23 am

i slept on one and it made me feel so ill! i was seasick in a waterbed?

Written By: Paul on 01/28/07 at 11:41 am

I don't think a waterbed's gonna be any good for your back, Andrea...you need something firm to support it...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/28/07 at 11:43 am

I don't think a waterbed's gonna be any good for your back, Andrea...you need something firm to support it...

I have to agree with you...although I do love waterbeds myself!  :)

Written By: La Roche on 01/28/07 at 12:07 pm

I slept on a waterbed for about a week when I stayed with my buddy up near Chicago. Anywho, I hated it, every time you move it's like you're wobbling.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 2:01 pm

I used to have a waterbed and loved it. Carlos hated it which is why I gave it up after I moved in with him. After sleeping on one for about 15 years or so, it was kind of hard to get used to a regular mattress. Unfortunately, the mattress Carlos had was AWFUL and I woke up with back pain EVERY morning. We went out and bought a new mattress (about 5 years ago) and I don't have the back pain like I used to (but still a little which is why I go to the chiropractor every 6 weeks-of course that could also stem from sleeping on a waterbed for 15 years). Now, we are wondering if we should have gone with a Tempur-pedic mattress. If we ever decided to get a new mattress, we will look into it since both of us have back problems. But, with our mattress only being about 5 years old, it may be a while.

Cat

Written By: pink daisy on 01/28/07 at 2:48 pm

I used to wake up with a stiff back every day until my Mum bought me a Tempur mattress topper (which is cheaper than a mattress).  It's fantastic - no more back pain and it's soooo comfy.  Highly recomended  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 3:06 pm

I used to wake up with a stiff back every day until my Mum bought me a Tempur mattress topper (which is cheaper than a mattress).  It's fantastic - no more back pain and it's soooo comfy.  Highly recomended  ;)

Is that like those egg crates? Those are comfy, too. Had one on my waterbed.

Cat

Written By: pink daisy on 01/28/07 at 5:09 pm

Is that like those egg crates? Those are comfy, too. Had one on my waterbed.

Cat

;DSounds messy - I suppose there are no actual eggs in there?  Only kidding - no, it's smooth and like a thin mattress, but it remembers your shape and supports your body really well.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/28/07 at 5:18 pm

My sister has a Tempur-pedic and I slept on one while on vacation a few years ago.

Next mattress I purchase will be a Tempurpedic.  I slept very sound and never even felt my husband move all night.

I don't think you'll spend all that much more for these than you would spend on a good quality regular mattress.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/28/07 at 5:19 pm

I can sleep on just about any surface, but I like sleeping on my back for the most part because it makes sense to me.

I sleep on a rock every time we go camping :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 5:58 pm

;DSounds messy - I suppose there are no actual eggs in there?  Only kidding - no, it's smooth and like a thin mattress, but it remembers your shape and supports your body really well.

Egg crates are made out of foam rubber but shaped like an egg crate.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:1qc_lSyKv8x5dM:http://www.foamorder.com/graphics/eggcrate.jpg

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/07 at 8:47 pm

ohh...I hate waterbeds....so bad for your back!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/07 at 8:48 pm

I loved my waterbed.  Especially the heated water part.  Great on a cold night.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/28/07 at 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for the advice!!  I think next weekend I will be buying a new mattress... I'll let you guys know what I end up with :)

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 6:06 am

The best advice I got when choosing a new mattress was to take a book and lie on each mattress for *AT LEAST* 15 mins minimum! Lie in the position you sleep in as well as just on your back, take your time and don't let the staff hassle you into moving before you are ready. We spent about 3 hrs trying out different mattresses like that and the one we chose is so damn comfortable nothing else holds up to it! ;D

Written By: pink daisy on 01/29/07 at 8:44 am

The best advice I got when choosing a new mattress was to take a book and lie on each mattress for *AT LEAST* 15 mins minimum! Lie in the position you sleep in as well as just on your back, take your time and don't let the staff hassle you into moving before you are ready. We spent about 3 hrs trying out different mattresses like that and the one we chose is so damn comfortable nothing else holds up to it! ;D

I would have paid good money to see that.... ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/29/07 at 8:50 am

I think it all depends on what is comfortable for you.  Personally, we have a Tempurpedic mattress and it's awesome!!!  I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so my only advice is: do not go "cheap".  I've had mattresses that were $300 and they lasted about 2-3 years TOPS.  The mattress that we have now is a $3000 Tempurpedic (with a pillow top) that we got on sale for a little over $800 because the store was moving to a new location and it was supposed to be the display.  {The one we ended up getting, however, was still wrapped in the original plastic (someone screwed up when they delivered it to us) ;)}  We've now had it for 6 1/2 years and it's as comfortable now as it was the day we got it.  So, if you can, I'd recommend not worrying about how much it costs, as long as it's comfortable.  Once you find one you like, THEN shop around to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Like Gis said, also, make sure to lay on it how you sleep.  Most people just lay on them on their backs for a few seconds and choose, but if that's not how you sleep, you're not going to know if it's comfortable or not.  I'd also recommend buying new pillows (or taking yours with) because if the store has different pillows, it's not going to feel the same once you get it home.

Written By: pink daisy on 01/29/07 at 8:53 am

I'd also recommend buying new pillows (or taking yours with) because if the store has different pillows, it's not going to feel the same once you get it home.

PJ's optional?  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/29/07 at 9:12 am

PJ's optional?  ;D
Of course..... ;)

Written By: La Roche on 01/29/07 at 9:53 am

^..^^...

Nuuuuuuge, I gotta get me a new bed!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/07 at 10:02 am

We did the same thing.  We bought a new mattress set this past summer, and we tested every one they had.  We bought the Beautyrest
Do Not Disturb pillowtop.  When your partner moves, you can't feel a thing.  It's also pretty firm, which I love.  It's just heaven to sleep on.  I couldn't be happier.

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 10:22 am

I would have paid good money to see that.... ;D
Ahh no, we were good my dad was with us!  ;D

Actually it is amazing how many mattresses feel so comfortable at first, but after 10 minutes you can't wait to get off!

Written By: pink daisy on 01/29/07 at 10:28 am

Ahh no, we were good my dad was with us!  ;D

Actually it is amazing how many mattresses feel so comfortable at first, but after 10 minutes you can't wait to get off!

Get off with who, Gis?  ;)

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 10:39 am

Get off with who, Gis?  ;)
After 10 mins on a kill your back mattress I wouldn't be capable of it!

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/29/07 at 12:29 pm

I can sleep on just about any surface, but I like sleeping on my back for the most part because it makes sense to me.

I sleep on a rock every time we go camping :D

You too! I swear, when I go pitch my tent at 4 am. I always manage to stick it over a rock.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/03/07 at 2:18 am

You too! I swear, when I go pitch my tent at 4 am. I always manage to stick it over a rock.  :D
you pitch a tent?  I thought you were a chick  ???  J/K

Lady Di wants to get one of those Sleep Number Beds because our friends got one and they love it.  I hear that they're expensive and I'm not thrilled about paying a couple thousand dollars for a freakin bed.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 2:47 am

Waterbeds look cool, but you can't do anything on them.  Except lay there and get seasick.  My bed cost something like $900 and it was a great investment.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/03/07 at 2:56 am

Waterbeds look cool, but you can't do anything on them.  Except lay there and get seasick.  My bed cost something like $900 and it was a great investment.
I definitely don't want a waterbed but a comfy mattress/bed would be great and we're due to get something new and I like mine really really soft

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 3:02 am

I definitely don't want a waterbed but a comfy mattress/bed would be great and we're due to get something new and I like mine really really soft

Get ready for the dirtiest sentences ever:

I like mine hard.  Too soft and it doesn't work for me.

Andy and Howard can have fun with that.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/07 at 7:56 am

I like mine tight, clean and fresh. My jeans that is.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/03/07 at 10:44 am

I like it hard too.......and bigger is definitely better O0 ;)

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/07 at 12:20 pm

I like it hard too.......and bigger is definitely better O0 ;)

Mmmm... about 7 feet long and about 5 wide...

... my bed that is.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/07 at 2:46 pm

*walks away slowly*.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...