inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Re-arranged some boards, removing one, etc... oh and guests can post again

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 2:40 pm

I moved the photo board into the "members only" category, and gave it a new name.

I get the comedy board a new description, I'd like to see that board get some more traffic.

The Haunted Places board is going to be discontinued.  It's interesting, but not many people seem to be using it.

The biggie, is the return of guest postings.  I had it disabled due to a massive flood of spam.  The newer software now has a much better captcha, which should keep the spammers at bay.  If not, I guess I'll end up removing it again.

Subject: Re: Re-arranged some boards, removing one, etc... oh and guests can post again

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/07 at 2:42 pm

I will keep my eye out for you on the guest postings.

Subject: Re: Re-arranged some boards, removing one, etc... oh and guests can post again

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/07 at 2:49 pm

The Haunted Places board is going to be discontinued.  It's interesting, but not many people seem to be using it.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/29/07 at 2:54 pm

Me too... :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/07 at 2:54 pm

spooky?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/07 at 2:56 pm

spooky?

No, I'm sad because I really like that board.  I know it isn't for everyone, but it's one of my favorites.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 3:00 pm

No, I'm sad because I really like that board.  I know it isn't for everyone, but it's one of my favorites.

I don't think there's enough going on with it though.  There's a handful of people who post to it, but the number of topics, it could easily be part of the Playful Penguin Place or something else

Written By: nally on 01/29/07 at 3:01 pm

I didn't visit the Haunted section very much...but it is disappointing when one section goes. :-\\

I moved the photo board into the "members only" category, and gave it a new name.

Yes, I saw that. Are the PBG's and Ratings still members only as well?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/29/07 at 3:02 pm

I think the Haunted one should stay around, too...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 3:16 pm

Yes, I saw that. Are the PBG's and Ratings still members only as well?

no, but I probably should do that again. 

Debating whether to keep the ratings seperate from the other games or not.

I don't like having a lot of boards because some boards see too little activity and it gives a bad first impression to new users.  With the exception of some of the boards which I use to support my websites, every board should have new messages in it everyday, and a few new topics every week.

Written By: nally on 01/29/07 at 3:18 pm

Good...because the PBG's have always been members only up till now. Guests shouldn't be able to access those.

Same with the Penguin Quizzes.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/07 at 3:20 pm

I too will miss the Haunted Places board :\'(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 3:21 pm

I too will miss the Haunted Places board :\'(

I was looking through it, and maybe the name isn't correct?  It's not just haunted places, it seems to be more about the paranomal. I can wait on giving it the axe, rename and describe it, and see if interest picks up a little?

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 3:50 pm

So what things are to be moved around again this year?  ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 4:03 pm

So what things are to be moved around again this year?  ???

everything I just listed.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/07 at 4:17 pm

I notice the FlashChat only appears as a link now.  I am glad you didn't decide to get rid of chat altogether :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 5:22 pm

I was looking through it, and maybe the name isn't correct?  It's not just haunted places, it seems to be more about the paranomal. I can wait on giving it the axe, rename and describe it, and see if interest picks up a little?

YAY!! sounds like a great idea! :)  I PM'd you a possible name...not sure if you got it or not?  Urban & Paranormal Exploration was my idea for a new name.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/29/07 at 5:23 pm

YAY!! sounds like a great idea! :)  I PM'd you a possible name...not sure if you got it or not?  Urban & Paranormal Exploration was my idea for a new name.

I can dig that.  I can kvetch a lot about urban exploring.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/07 at 7:46 pm

I notice the FlashChat only appears as a link now.  I am glad you didn't decide to get rid of chat altogether :)

Not knowing when someone's in there is kinda sucky though, because then people sit in there for a long time and nobody else comes in.

I'm in there now to test it :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/07 at 8:36 pm

Not knowing when someone's in there is kinda sucky though, because then people sit in there for a long time and nobody else comes in.

I'm in there now to test it :D

Yeah, that's the only downfall.  But on the upside, no more RheemO

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 8:41 pm

I'm guessing there is some kind of bug with the "users in chat" that might have been causing the issue, but I can't be certain.  It might just be that he's not bothering anymore since he doesn't see the user count on the top or maybe his "wife" won't let him near the machine.  Either way I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/07 at 8:52 pm

I'm guessing there is some kind of bug with the "users in chat" that might have been causing the issue, but I can't be certain.  It might just be that he's not bothering anymore since he doesn't see the user count on the top or maybe his "wife" won't let him near the machine.  Either way I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

He would even come into the chat when no one was there.  You could see if you backed up what was said in there that he was talking to himself, so perhaps he didn't really care who was in there.  Probably just went in at random hoping someone would either be in there, or come in when he was there

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 1:12 am

I think there might be a bug too...how was he ever able to get into the chat without having an account anymore? ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/07 at 1:17 am

I think there might be a bug too...how was he ever able to get into the chat without having an account anymore? ::)

That is a good question not easily solved sadly.  He's already been back in the chat twice tonight (or should I say last night, since it's past midnight now)

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 1:20 am

That is a good question not easily solved sadly.  He's already been back in the chat twice tonight (or should I say last night, since it's past midnight now)
Well, whatever.

I still wonder how we're gonna get rid of this guy. Chuck has said in the past that IP banning doesn't work, since these lurkers/spammers/etc find new IP's to get on. I hope Ream0 (yes I know I spelt his name incorrectly) gets tired of harassing us at some point.

Written By: Gis on 01/30/07 at 1:24 am

That could make more people go there and maybe all the describe your hometown, and the famous or historical sites near you type threads can go in there too?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 1:29 am

That could make more people go there and maybe all the describe your hometown famous or historical sites near you type threads can go in there too?

That would be great!  I could go on and on about Chicago and what's in it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 10:47 am

That could make more people go there and maybe all the describe your hometown, and the famous or historical sites near you type threads can go in there too?

yes...now THAT would be very interesting!! :)

Written By: karen on 01/30/07 at 10:56 am

Good...because the PBG's have always been members only up till now. Guests shouldn't be able to access those.

Same with the Penguin Quizzes.

Disagree about the quizzes being members only I think.  It was posting there that got me interested in the rest of the boards

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/30/07 at 10:58 am

Disagree about the quizzes being members only I think.  It was posting there that got me interested in the rest of the boards

really? I thought those have always been members only

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 11:08 am

really? I thought those have always been members only

Penguin Quizzes? Yes, they've always been for members only. I don't see why guests should post in there. After all, they can't modify their postings.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/07 at 12:06 pm

Penguin Quizzes? Yes, they've always been for members only. I don't see why guests should post in there. After all, they can't modify their postings.

You could always say stuff like "You're right" or "You're wrong" and they wouldn't have to modify their posts...and considering the various steps you have to take to make a post in the first place, they should've checked their posts before they pushed "submit" :)

Not that guests should be allowed to muck up a quiz or anything.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/07 at 12:09 pm

So,Whatever happened to Flashchat?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/07 at 12:39 pm

So,Whatever happened to Flashchat?  ???
Still there click on the link.

Frontpage | Home | Help | Profile | Rules | Archive | KarmaLog | Calendar | Arcade | FlashChat | Logout

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 1:19 pm

You could always say stuff like "You're right" or "You're wrong" and they wouldn't have to modify their posts...and considering the various steps you have to take to make a post in the first place, they should've checked their posts before they pushed "submit" :)

Not that guests should be allowed to muck up a quiz or anything.

Yes, but in each Penguin Quiz, the starter always modifies the 1st post in order to update it with the answers. Since guests can't do that, it wouldn't entirely be right for them to post in that section.

Written By: Marian on 01/30/07 at 1:58 pm

Debating whether to keep the ratings seperate from the other games or not.

I don't like having a lot of boards because some boards see too little activity and it gives a bad first impression to new users.  With the exception of some of the boards which I use to support my websites, every board should have new messages in it everyday, and a few new topics every week.
No don't combine ratings with anything else!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 5:34 pm

Yes, but in each Penguin Quiz, the starter always modifies the 1st post in order to update it with the answers. Since guests can't do that, it wouldn't entirely be right for them to post in that section.

Guests can still respond to quizzes, even if they can't start them.

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 5:41 pm

Guests can still RESPOND to quizzes, even if they can't START them.

Yes. But they shouldn't be enabled to start them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 5:44 pm

Yes. But they shouldn't be enabled to start them.

We already know that they can't start them.  In order for them to start a quiz, they have to register.  So if they want to make a quiz, they can do that.  Or they can just stay a guest and respond to a quiz. 

Easy.

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 5:48 pm

We already know that they can't start them.  In order for them to start a quiz, they have to register.  So if they want to make a quiz, they can do that.  Or they can just stay a guest and respond to a quiz. 

Easy.

Oh all right. I haven't viewed the quiz board in guest mode yet, so I don't know whether the "start new thread" option is available in the quiz forum in guest mode or not. If the "reply" option is, I guess that ain't so bad.

Written By: karen on 01/31/07 at 10:12 am

Guests can still respond to quizzes, even if they can't start them.

That's what I meant

Written By: karen on 01/31/07 at 10:15 am

Oh all right. I haven't viewed the quiz board in guest mode yet, so I don't know whether the "start new thread" option is available in the quiz forum in guest mode or not. If the "reply" option is, I guess that ain't so bad.

Just logged out to check.  Guests can't answer the quizzes at all.  But we definitely used to allow them to answer.  See for example http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/quizzes/1049905657.shtml where I am a guest

Written By: nally on 01/31/07 at 1:46 pm

Just logged out to check.  Guests can't answer the quizzes at all.  But we definitely used to allow them to answer.  See for example http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/quizzes/1049905657.shtml where I am a guest

Oh yes...that was on the old board. As I recall, guests could post anywhere on there..until the lurker mode was turned off.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/07 at 2:45 pm

Oh yes...that was on the old board. As I recall, guests could post anywhere on there..until the lurker mode was turned off.

We must be talking about back on the YaBB version of the messageboard... up until the switch to SMF, I never bothered to set any real permissions on anything.  In a perfect world, I think I'd prefer it to be guests can do what they want, but there's too much abuse if I don't enforce some limits.  Plus, I think if the games require an account it encourages people to sign up to play.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/07 at 3:52 pm

Still there click on the link.

Frontpage | Home | Help | Profile | Rules | Archive | KarmaLog | Calendar | Arcade | FlashChat | Logout

But why did the display of people just disappear? ???

Written By: nally on 01/31/07 at 3:55 pm

Because it was causing problems, as Chucky mentioned in another thread.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/07 at 4:34 pm

Because it was causing problems, as Chucky mentioned in another thread.

I agree with chucky.Causing problems with me too. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 4:54 pm

Just an idea: What about putting the "What's your favorite song by..." polls in with the Ratings?

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/31/07 at 4:59 pm

Just an idea: What about putting the "What's your favorite song by..." polls in with the Ratings?

Cat

I dunno...I don't think the polls should necessarily go there. When the Ratings got started, back in 2003, each thread in there was basically a list of songs/artists/movies/tv shows/whatever...and we'd give them a rating from 1 (worst) to 5 (best). How polls got into the mix, is beyond my comprehension.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/07 at 6:52 pm

I dunno...I don't think the polls should necessarily go there. When the Ratings got started, back in 2003, each thread in there was basically a list of songs/artists/movies/tv shows/whatever...and we'd give them a rating from 1 (worst) to 5 (best). How polls got into the mix, is beyond my comprehension.

If I remember correctly, that got started before the option of polls existed properly in the software.  Used to be a hack or modification or something, and wasn't very reliable.  I've not quite figured out the whole point behind the ratings threads myself.  I guess a few people still do it, so I'll leave it alone for now.

I think I'm done with messing around with stuff for the time being.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/07 at 6:53 pm

I thought it was somehow allowing an anonymous person access to the site.  I see now that it doesn't, so I'll probably just add it back in.  If I keep the chat that is. I'm not too happy someone can bypass the security functions of it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 8:02 pm

Have you considered changing the URL for the flashchat such that banned users can't simply paste in a URL and log in that way?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/07 at 10:37 pm

Have you considered changing the URL for the flashchat such that banned users can't simply paste in a URL and log in that way?

I can certainly move the location, but they'll be able to find the new one and just log in like they have been, through whatever means they are using to circumvent it now. 

I think it just comes down to a very insecure and crappy program.  I don't really see any viable alternatives though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 10:37 pm

Flashchat is fun and there are usually mods in there, so they can just keep booting whatever comes in, out.  Minor nuisance methinks.

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/07 at 10:57 pm

I don't think guests should be allowed to post in the quiz section.  Since they aren't members, they could post a whole bunch of answers, and ruin everyone's quizzes

Written By: nally on 02/01/07 at 12:09 am

I don't think guests should be allowed to post in the quiz section.  Since they aren't members, they could post a whole bunch of answers, and ruin everyone's quizzes

hmm, good point.

If I remember correctly, that got started before the option of polls existed properly in the software.  Used to be a hack or modification or something, and wasn't very reliable.  I've not quite figured out the whole point behind the ratings threads myself.  I guess a few people still do it, so I'll leave it alone for now.

I think I'm done with messing around with stuff for the time being.

Yes, I think polls got started either in late 2003 or early 2004...they were in a separate section (which got discontinued).

Written By: karen on 02/01/07 at 3:38 am

It's not just guests that do that though is it?

Check for new replies or respond here...