inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Internet Dating Experiences

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 11:36 am

I don't know if this has been done before...but anyway, a few weeks ago - frustrated by the other options - I decided to get serious about using the Internet as a way to connect with some of the available local ladies. In a way I'd already tried that with msn and myspace - but to no avail. Hence I signed up to a few sites (Lavalife was the first I signed up to), and even paid for two of them. A week went with Lavalife, and no success. All my messages went unreturned by those who'd logged in since then. I had a little more success with another site - 'AussieMatchmaker' - a few girls even returned my messages and seemed interested, yet I'm yet to hear from anyone of them. I got one 'wink' or 'smiley', but that is still pending...

Anyway, I've been at this for close to a month, with no real success, am I waiting too long? I've spent the time hunting out potential candidates, but like everything else, I'm beginning to lose faith. Nonetheless, it hasn't really been that long, and I'm holding out for a miracle, as corny as that sounds..

I'm just interested to see if any members had any experiences they'd like to share...how long did you wait to get any real success? I know the success rate will never be high, but how did you go about establishing that early attraction? Lol, I never had much faith in these things, and I held out for different reasons, but with no success in more conventional methods, I'm hoping this will be my one last chance..

Subject: Re: Your Internet Dating Experiences

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/07 at 11:40 am

Didn't use them. This place was enough for me to find two boyfriends. One decided to marry me.

Oh yeah, my point is that maybe signing up with three different places is trying too hard. And you never know where you'll find someone to date.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 11:41 am

Didn't use them. This place was enough for me to find two boyfriends. One decided to marry me.

Oh really? Your met your husband on inthe00s.com? You would be so kind as to share that story? lol

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/07 at 11:42 am

I've given up on internet dating, cause you never know what you're going to get.  I met three women on-line, all whom neglected to mention some important things ...

- One had a child (she wanted me to be a sugar daddy)
- One was pregnant w/ child (see above)
- One was only 16 years old (I was 24 at the time)

I'll attempt to meet girls the old fashioned way .. in a bar, where some big hulk boyfriend will smash my teeth in for looking at his woman.  It's painful but safer ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/07 at 11:43 am

Oh really? Your met your husband on inthe00s.com? You would be so kind as to share that story? lol

Yeah. I married Rice_Cube. We started talking here in 2002, I finally got him to date me in 2003, we got married in 2004. I'm not the only one. Two former members also fell in love on here and got married.

Written By: Tia on 01/31/07 at 11:43 am

i've known people who've gotten married to people they met on dating services. i know people, like myself, who've been doing it sporadically for years and have never gotten so much as a peck on the cheek. i still do it from time to time but really just because i think it's kinda... fun. sitting down with a stranger over a beer or whatever. i mean, i've never "gotten any" but i've met some interesting people and had some good conversations so... i figure go for it. but definitely manage your expectations.

Written By: Tia on 01/31/07 at 11:45 am

as for meeting people on bulletin boards etc., jess -- did you and rice happen to live nearby? or did one of you have to move?

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 11:46 am

I've given up on internet dating, cause you never know what you're going to get.  I met three women on-line, all whom neglected to mention some important things ...

- One had a child (she wanted me to be a sugar daddy)
- One was pregnant w/ child (see above)
- One was only 16 years old (I was 24 at the time)

I'll attempt to meet girls the old fashioned way .. in a bar, where some big hulk boyfriend will smash my teeth in for looking at his woman.  It's painful but safer ;D

Lol, Whistle...you've got to keep trying. Btw, have you had much success meeting gals the old fashioned way? I find it hard to even talk to them unless I have a good reason to.  :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/07 at 11:47 am

as for meeting people on bulletin boards etc., jess -- did you and rice happen to live nearby? or did one of you have to move?

He lived 100 miles north of me, so when we were dating, we'd take turns visiting each other. When I got knocked up, there was...issues with his family, so he moved in with mine until we got our asses sorted out.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 11:48 am

i've known people who've gotten married to people they met on dating services. i know people, like myself, who've been doing it sporadically for years and have never gotten so much as a peck on the cheek. i still do it from time to time but really just because i think it's kinda... fun. sitting down with a stranger over a beer or whatever. i mean, i've never "gotten any" but i've met some interesting people and had some good conversations so... i figure go for it. but definitely manage your expectations.

Did you spent much money on dating services, Tia? Did you at least make a new friend?

Lol, at this stage I would be totally stoked if I could just arrange a meeting...I'm totally up for friendships as well, but I think it's high time I got something going in the Romance department.

Written By: Tia on 01/31/07 at 11:55 am

Did you spent much money on dating services, Tia? Did you at least make a new friend?

Lol, at this stage I would be totally stoked if I could just arrange a meeting...I'm totally up for friendships as well, but I think it's high time I got something going in the Romance department.
the friendship thing can be tricky. it's just... weird, for some reason, you meet this person but you have no real connection with them right off so it's hard to forge a friendship out of it. i only have one person i ever went on an internet date with that i've stayed in touch with.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 11:57 am

the friendship thing can be tricky. it's just... weird, for some reason, you meet this person but you have no real connection with them right off so it's hard to forge a friendship out of it. i only have one person i ever went on an internet date with that i've stayed in touch with.

Yeah, the anonymous artificiality can be a barrier...I just want to forge some kind of foothold - get an e-mail address, phone number.etc to wile my charms, but no one seems to be that receptive. One chick did want my phone no - which I gave her - but I suspect it may be part of some expensive sms scam thing...but anyway, it'll probably do no good to obsessively check it several times a day. I might wait a week and see if I get much luckier.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/07 at 12:05 pm

Well my sister Beth and Justin met on here (inthe00s)....they are still dating and pretty serious.  I met my husband online (not a dating service)...it was more through a mutual friend, and then we discovered that we both lived in the same town, and we met...remained friends/dated for awhile, and then made it official.

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/07 at 12:25 pm

Well my sister Beth and Justin met on here (inthe00s)....they are still dating and pretty serious.

Heh...maybe Chucky should run a dating service. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/07 at 12:39 pm

hey, you never know huh? :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/07 at 12:47 pm

LOL Chucky's Dating Service.  He could call it ...

Am I the Right one for you?

;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/31/07 at 2:26 pm

I met my last two boyfriends online. The first one didn't end up working out, the second one - I've known him first as a friend for about 4 years (although it was more sporadic then) and now we've been dating 3 years and 1 month, to be exact  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 2:46 pm

I met plenty of girls online to talk to and stuff.  Thank goodness for Jess :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 3:26 pm

By the time I got on-line, I was already living with the love of my life. However, we have been seeing the commercials for e-Harmony.com and they have a compatibility test that will hook you up with others with similar interests. I have often thought that maybe the two of us should do that "test" just to see if they hook the two of us up.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/31/07 at 3:37 pm

I don't do Internet dating Services cause you never know what person you might be getting,It's going to be a very tricky situation.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/07 at 3:38 pm

That's a good Idea. ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/31/07 at 8:41 pm

I don't do Internet dating Services cause you never know what person you might be getting,It's going to be a very tricky situation.

I just really want to meet up with almost anyone who's interesting and at least not hideously ugly, lol, even a psychotic axe murderer...

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/07 at 9:08 pm

Anyone think that The Dude has tried it???? ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 9:14 pm

^ He probably got netdumped too.  The girls' computers probably exploded when they clicked on his profile.  The monitors got bleached from all the yellow teeth.

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/31/07 at 9:33 pm

I've dated two members from this board (one former and one current member).  After that I put a profile on Yahoo Personals (but didn't pay for the service) and a few months later I got a bite, and within a few days of meeting her I got another response (but I didn't reply 'cuz I liked the first one).  We dated/lived together for 2 years.  I think she got her $19.95 worth out of me.  ;D

Currently I'm dating someone I met on another messageboard.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 9:36 pm

See Spaceace?

DJ Midas 4+, D00d 0

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/31/07 at 10:25 pm

Anyone think that The Dude has tried it???? ;D

He said he got a subscription to match.com but who knows if anything came of it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/07 at 10:26 pm

He said he got a subscription to match.com but who knows if anything came of it.

probably not.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/31/07 at 10:26 pm

I don't think anything came of it but him.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/31/07 at 10:27 pm

I don't think anything came of it but him.

2 full snaps.  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/31/07 at 10:44 pm

i only have one person i ever went on an internet date with that i've stayed in touch with.

I'm glad to hear you and Andy are still on good terms! :)

As for "looking", it never did me any good.  The only relationships I have had that I care to remember just happened when I wasn't at all looking for someone.  When you search you lower your standards.  I think of it similar to money on the sidewalk.  If you're really broke and comb the streets of your neighborhood looking for money on the ground, you'll be lucky to find a penny... but someday when you're just going about your business, you'll see something out of the corner of your eye.. and hey!  that's a $20 bill on the ground!

Written By: tv on 02/01/07 at 1:45 am

I am trying Match.com right now but nothing really.  If I click on a profile I'll wait for the person that I clicked to see if if they view me back. If they don;t view me back than I don;t bother sending them any e-mails. I tried Match.com for one year previously and sent out a ton of e-mails but no respones. I am a shy guy too to do it the old fashioned way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/01/07 at 9:48 am

I am trying Match.com right now but nothing really.  If I click on a profile I'll wait for the person that I clicked to see if if they view me back. If they don;t view me back than I don;t bother sending them any e-mails. I tried Match.com for one year previously and sent out a ton of e-mails but no respones. I am a shy guy too to do it the old fashioned way.

I admire your perserverance...did you include a pic? I did, although I'm not sure if that's helping...I of course, sympathise with your difficulty in meeting women the 'old fashioned way'. I just feel they have no time for me... :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/01/07 at 9:57 am

He didn't because he signed up for Miami and said he couldn't change his area.....I'm sure if he had looked into it, he could've but then he would've had a chance of actually meeting someone ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/01/07 at 9:59 am

He didn't because he signed up for Miami and said he couldn't change his area.....I'm sure if he had looked into it, he could've but then he would've had a chance of actually meeting someone ::)

Is THAT what happened?

But oh, it's so much effort to have to click all around and type in a new area :\'(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/01/07 at 10:01 am

Oh, and OT, I've never used one (did they really exist back in 95?) because I've been married for 12+ years, but my best friend did.  One guy she met was nice, but it didn't work.  The other one was a psycho (which I tried to tell her after I met him the second time, but she didn't listen ::)) but that one ended when she met her current hubby (not online, though, he was her parents' neighbor).

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/01/07 at 10:02 am

Is THAT what happened?

But oh, it's so much effort to have to click all around and type in a new area :\'(
OR, *GOD FORBID* send them an email saying "Please change my location from X to Y" :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/01/07 at 10:13 am

I met my husband on Yahoo personals.  I went into it kind of like you did, Trimac - just wanting to meet new people.  I actually went out on dates with several people.  I think that it's easier for women to meet men on these sites than it is for men to meet women, if only because the men are more agressive.  I think you should give it a little more time - new people sign up every day, so you never know who you might meet in the future.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/07 at 2:49 pm

E-Harmony?  ???

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 02/01/07 at 3:40 pm

I don't know if this has been done before...but anyway, a few weeks ago - frustrated by the other options - I decided to get serious about using the Internet as a way to connect with some of the available local ladies. In a way I'd already tried that with msn and myspace - but to no avail. Hence I signed up to a few sites (Lavalife was the first I signed up to), and even paid for two of them. A week went with Lavalife, and no success. All my messages went unreturned by those who'd logged in since then. I had a little more success with another site - 'AussieMatchmaker' - a few girls even returned my messages and seemed interested, yet I'm yet to hear from anyone of them. I got one 'wink' or 'smiley', but that is still pending...

Anyway, I've been at this for close to a month, with no real success, am I waiting too long? I've spent the time hunting out potential candidates, but like everything else, I'm beginning to lose faith. Nonetheless, it hasn't really been that long, and I'm holding out for a miracle, as corny as that sounds..

I'm just interested to see if any members had any experiences they'd like to share...how long did you wait to get any real success? I know the success rate will never be high, but how did you go about establishing that early attraction? Lol, I never had much faith in these things, and I held out for different reasons, but with no success in more conventional methods, I'm hoping this will be my one last chance..

LavaLife is a total meat market for one thing only-SEX. You will not find anyone there wanting to commit to a relationship. And the fact , that you have to pay , just to send someone a message, isn't right either.  So remove yourself off that site.

I'm leery about places that you need to PAY money to meet somebody.

Why don't you just try hanging out at a local coffee shop?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/01/07 at 4:16 pm

E-Harmony?  ???

It's a popular online dating service, much like Match.com and Yahoo Personals, except they make you take a series of tests to find someone who's very much like yourself.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/01/07 at 4:28 pm

I agree.
I'm so old fashion when it comes to dating,what's wrong with meeting people at bars,concerts,trains,post office line???

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/07 at 4:33 pm

I'm leery about places that you need to PAY money to meet somebody.

I am not too keen on the idea of paying to meet someone either.  It almost feels like you are paying someone so they can go out with you.  It's creepy in a way.  The best way to meet people is definately the old fashioned way

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 02/01/07 at 5:37 pm

I am not too keen on the idea of paying to meet someone either.  It almost feels like you are paying someone so they can go out with you.  It's creepy in a way.  The best way to meet people is definately the old fashioned way

If he has a Starbucks near by, he should work for them. I always hear some girl squeeling over how she thinks some Barista is HOT and would like to give them her number. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/01/07 at 11:48 pm

I agree.
I'm so old fashion when it comes to dating,what's wrong with meeting people at bars,concerts,trains,post office line???

It totally depends on where you live.  I live in a place that is 80% one religion, which I am not a member of.  Most of the people I meet belong to that religion, so they're out of the running to date.  I wanted to meet people who were like me, and doing it online was one of the only ways I could.  I met lots of guys in bars, and all they wanted was sex.  If you want a relationship, sometimes you have to put yourself out there.

Written By: tv on 02/01/07 at 11:55 pm

I admire your perserverance...did you include a pic? I did, although I'm not sure if that's helping...I of course, sympathise with your difficulty in meeting women the 'old fashioned way'. I just feel they have no time for me... :-\\
Yeah I did include a pic but its not a "professional shot" which it should be. As far as meeting somebody the old fashioned I don;t like bars because you can't even hear yourself with all the music playing. At a nightclub no way. I have tried restaraunt bars and basically no luck there. At the bookstore I was interested in somebody but she didn;t want to be bothered with me. The workplace-never ever again.

Written By: Davester on 02/02/07 at 12:35 am

<snip> The workplace-never ever again.

Never get your meat where you get your bread.  Just has a way of turning ugly when loose tongues start wagging...

I know this to be true...

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/02/07 at 3:35 am

Yeah I did include a pic but its not a "professional shot" which it should be. As far as meeting somebody the old fashioned I don;t like bars because you can't even hear yourself with all the music playing. At a nightclub no way. I have tried restaraunt bars and basically no luck there. At the bookstore I was interested in somebody but she didn;t want to be bothered with me. The workplace-never ever again.

I know, I don't find shouting at the top of your voice to each other all that romantic...lol, life really does suck sometimes... :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/02/07 at 6:16 am

I know, I don't find shouting at the top of your voice to each other all that romantic...lol, life really does suck sometimes... :-\\

You're so young,don't be such a downer.
From my experience things happen when you ain't looking,don't put too much effort in it. Just don't close yourself to others,live you life and have fun.

Romance is overrated anyway ::) ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/02/07 at 10:23 am

You're so young,don't be such a downer.
From my experience things happen when you ain't looking,don't put too much effort in it. Just don't close yourself to others,live you life and have fun.

Romance is overrated anyway ::) ;D

Try telling that to someone whose had basically no romance in his life...lol, but I'm not going to feel sorry for myself anymore, not publicly, at least, lol...

Written By: Howard on 02/02/07 at 2:43 pm

It's a popular online dating service, much like Match.com and Yahoo Personals, except they make you take a series of tests to find someone who's very much like yourself.

So what's wrong with taking tests? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/02/07 at 4:52 pm

Ummm, some people don't like them?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/02/07 at 4:54 pm

I don't mind doing that. It may help, but nothing can be gauranteed. Sometimes happenstance is what works best  :)

Written By: star80 on 02/02/07 at 5:39 pm

Never dated anybody from the net, Thank God, too many LIARS and CRAZIES out there!

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/07 at 6:14 pm

Never dated anybody from the net, Thank God, too many LIARS and CRAZIES out there!

Evidently so.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/02/07 at 6:14 pm

Evidently so.

Oooh.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/02/07 at 6:38 pm

There can be, but of the few I've met, they've been very genuine.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/02/07 at 6:42 pm

Look how cute,for Jess and Rice,and everyone else who found love online :)
http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/450/sb921_450.jpeg

Written By: Tia on 02/02/07 at 6:46 pm

*gasp*

that's so adorable!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/02/07 at 6:47 pm

awww...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/07 at 7:14 pm

That touches me...right there...

No, not there you pervert.

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/07 at 7:15 pm

That touches me...right there...

No, not there you pervert.

*moves hand* :-[

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 7:49 pm

that is so freakin' cute!

Written By: Howard on 02/03/07 at 7:42 am

You got that right.

Check for new replies or respond here...