inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Much do you pay for...

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/21/07 at 8:55 pm

a night at the movies? tickets? snacks?

I'm just curious cause lately I've been leaving movies theater feeling like I just got robbed!

Ticket: 10-11.50(!) each

Popcorn: 5.25 SMALL!!!

Soda: the pricing and sizing sytem is so weird i just don't get it anymore.

Subject: Re: How Much do you pay for...

Written By: La Roche on 02/21/07 at 8:58 pm

MMmmmm... last time I went to the movies in the US. About $30 for 2 people. I'm cheap, so it's big popcorn shared.  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/21/07 at 9:00 pm

I'm a student, so tickets cost around NZ$11-12. (probably around NZ$15 for a normal adult fare)

Popcorn, I haven't bought popcorn or drink at cinemas in years. I sneak my own chips & bottle of drink in.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/21/07 at 9:04 pm

I'm a student, so tickets cost around NZ$11-12. (probably around NZ$15 for a normal adult fare)

Popcorn, I haven't bought popcorn or drink at cinemas in years. I sneak my own chips & bottle of drink in.

Yeah I usually do that, but at some theaters they are really agressive.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/21/07 at 9:06 pm

4.50 for me, 4.00 for each of my kids (my son got in free until he turned three.)

Popcorn is about 4.25 for a large.  I go to the theater that has free refills on popcorn and self-serve butter(yum) so there is no need to buy everyone their own.

Soda I think is about 3.75 for a large, also free refills.  

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/07 at 9:08 pm

The last time I went to a movie, admission was CAN$14

I never buy snacks at the theatres.  Paying over 5 bucks for a small popcorn is highway robbery.  I'd be better off sneaking in a popcorn popper, and make my own popcorn while I sit watching the movie ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/21/07 at 9:25 pm

The last time we went to the movies was probably to go see Batman Begins.  Or maybe it was Memoirs of a Geisha.  Wasn't that bad because we went to a matinee.  The next time will probably be to go see Spider-Man 3 or Shrek the Third since boy likes Shrek :)

I don't like going to the theater because it's grossly overpriced.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/21/07 at 9:33 pm

It depends on where/when we go.  We usually try to see one between 4-6 because it's only $5 per person.  Otherwise, it's $7.75 for hubby and $5.50 for me & the kids (since I qualify as a "student" ;D)  We usually get the "big combo" or whatever it is and that's about $10 for a large popcorn & 2 large drinks with free refills (unless you want butter on your popcorn, then it costs 27 cents ::))

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 9:45 pm

I can spend close to $20 on one adult ticket, popcorn and soda.  I figure the ticket is $8, the large popcorn is about $4.50 and the large drink about $4.  So that's what, $16.50?  My sister's spring break is in a couple of weeks and we're planning on seeing a couple movies, so it'll be expensive.  In that case, we'd share the popcorn and get separate drinks, since we drink different kinds of pop.  So that's $16 on tickets, $4.50 on popcorn and $8 on pop.  Grand total comes to $28.50 or so. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/21/07 at 10:05 pm

That's why I never ever ever get food at the theater anymore...so not worth it.  My brother and I ate well before "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and then purged our bladders before the movie started (it was a matinee) and brought snacks from home (Costco rules!) so it only cost us $13 to see the movie instead of $80 because we're pigs :D

Had to pee so bad after the movie was done.  Good movie but fraggin' long.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 10:06 pm

That's why I never ever ever get food at the theater anymore...so not worth it.  My brother and I ate well before "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and then purged our bladders before the movie started (it was a matinee) and brought snacks from home (Costco rules!) so it only cost us $13 to see the movie instead of $80 because we're pigs :D

Had to pee so bad after the movie was done.  Good movie but fraggin' long.

Can't bring in outside food, and if I can't eat popcorn at the movie, I don't go.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/21/07 at 10:10 pm

They don't have to know ;)  Hehehe.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 10:11 pm

They don't have to know ;)  Hehehe.

There's no way my sister and I would do it anyway. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/21/07 at 10:30 pm

We usually go to the matinee (when we do)...it's like $5.50 per person....after 6:00 it goes up to like $9.00 per person. We usually sneak snacks in, or eat before we go.  I hate movie theatre popcorn anyway....I like mine plain with NO butter.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/21/07 at 10:31 pm

I kinda figure that if a movie is good I'd probably buy it anyway so unless I really reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to see it I'll wait for the DVD and then get a used copy from the video store :)  Some exceptions though, hehehe.

Written By: Southern Image on 02/21/07 at 10:39 pm

I end up spending almost 40 bucks for me and my daughter to get in plus snacks ( thats 2 drinks -1 large-1 small- a medium size popcorn, and 4 candys). We always go to the matinee shows. At the AMC we were allowed to bring in Stone Cold Ice cream. At Edwards I see people bringing in McDonalds and Starbucks all the time. They don't make them leave.

There are times I buy my candy from Walmart and just store it in my big ole purse :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/07 at 11:32 am

The last time I went to see a movie in the theatre was to see Maverick (not including seeing Flags of Our Fathers at the college which was a free production for vets/people associated with the college). I don't remember how much because 1. it was back in 1993? 4? 2. my date paid for it.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/07 at 11:50 am

Here, tickets are $8.00, and popcorn and sodas are about $4.00 each.  The theatre we go to has a really good coffee bar in it, so I'll usually get a mocha instead of the other stuff.  One awesome thing about the one we go to is that they don't care if you bring outside food in.  I've seen people taking pizza into the theatre.  My husband always brings his own bottled water. 

We don't go to the movies as much as we used to - the last few times we've gone there have either been really loud teenagers or people with babies.  When we went to se "The Davinci Code" these jerks just let their baby cry through the damn movie.   >:(  It wasn't until someone sitting near them asked them to take the baby out that they got a clue.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 11:59 am

soda:$3.75
Bag of Popcorn: $$4.50

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/22/07 at 12:01 pm

Here, tickets are $8.00, and popcorn and sodas are about $4.00 each.  The theatre we go to has a really good coffee bar in it, so I'll usually get a mocha instead of the other stuff.  One awesome thing about the one we go to is that they don't care if you bring outside food in.  I've seen people taking pizza into the theatre.  My husband always brings his own bottled water. 

We don't go to the movies as much as we used to - the last few times we've gone there have either been really loud teenagers or people with babies.  When we went to se "The Davinci Code" these jerks just let their baby cry through the damn movie.   >:(  It wasn't until someone sitting near them asked them to take the baby out that they got a clue.  ::)

Who would bring a baby into a movie that is not even for children? I mean, if I couldn't find a babysitter...I would just wait until it came out on DVD.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/07 at 1:06 pm

Who would bring a baby into a movie that is not even for children? I mean, if I couldn't find a babysitter...I would just wait until it came out on DVD.

I know!  I mean, how fun could it be for the parents?  People are weird.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/22/07 at 1:19 pm

Here they charge around 8,00 euros for ticket, that's 10,50 US dollars i think. Good thing is we save on food,you can't eat in most of the theaters i go to,when i first moved here i thought they were all insane,but now i find it great,some people make way too much noise eating.

Written By: La Roche on 02/22/07 at 1:21 pm

Me and my Father had a day out today. (Movie and Pub) so we went to see Hannibal Rising.

I paid £12 for the two of our tickets. That's about $20. Didn't do popcorn and drinks seeing as I had some cans of soda in my jacket a snickers bar in my pocket, but they were about £4 (7.50) for a big thing of popcorn and about £3.50 for a medium drink.. so.. if you wanted a ticket, popcorn and a soda for one person, it'd be at least $20.

Check for new replies or respond here...