inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vehicular Mishaps

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 7:58 pm

I got an e-mail from my brother today.

His friend Kristian drove his motorcycle in to a canal.  ;D

It got me thinking about some of the bizare things you sometimes see and hear about people doing with their vehicles.

What's the most bizare thing you've seen somebody doing.. or have done yourself?

I once borrowed my Grandfathers van to help my pal Ryan move. Well, I parked up on a hill and.. for the life of me I can't remember what I forgot to do, but anyhow, I ended up chasing that thing down the road trying to jump in whilst it was moving. Thankfully it wasn't a real steep hill.  ;D

Subject: Re: Vehicular Mishaps

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/24/07 at 8:13 pm

There was the time my car got hit by a boat.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 8:14 pm

There was the time my car got hit by a boat.

.. ex..cuse..me.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/24/07 at 8:15 pm

Yeah, it was pretty funny :)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/24/07 at 8:18 pm

I got an e-mail from my brother today.

I once borrowed my Grandfathers van to help my pal Ryan move. Well, I parked up on a hill and.. for the life of me I can't remember what I forgot to do, but anyhow, I ended up chasing that thing down the road trying to jump in whilst it was moving. Thankfully it wasn't a real steep hill.  ;D

Something similar happened to me... i had parked in a parking lot and gotten out of the car, when it started rolling backward toward the street...i did chase it, and some random stranger also chased it, trying to help out...  the guy was able to stop it, but later claimed my car had run over his foot in the process and was going to file a claim against me... he never did though.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 8:21 pm

Something similar happened to me... i had parked in a parking lot and gotten out of the car, when it started rolling backward toward the street...i did chase it, and some random stranger also chased it, trying to help out...  the guy was able to stop it, but later claimed my car had run over his foot in the process and was going to file a claim against me... he never did though.

Ugh, typical Californian huh. "I'm gonna sue you!"
Jerks.

Yeah, it's easy.. just forget the handbrake or whatever.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/07 at 8:23 pm

Probably the "funniest" mishap I was in was driving out to a friends house, who lived near swampland. It had rained heavily the night before, leaving enormous puddles in the middle of the dirt, sand, gravel, and oyster shell road. I decided driving through the mud puddle wasn't the best of ideas, so I veered right and went off the road about six inches... and buried the front right tire and supension in the swamp.

A neighbor tried to pull me out. I minute later I noticed the unmistakable smell of a fried clutch, followed by several choice words uttered at a high volume.

Another neighbor with a 4x4 did manage to pull me out, but not before throwing 10' roosts of mud in the air from all 4 tires, which almost completely covered her newly washed vehicle.

Most bizarre thing I've seen someone else do in a vehicle? Aside from TV stuff, I caught a guy doing this prostitute by a dumpster in a Plymouth Prowler (do they have enough room to do that???). That might not be news anywhere else, but this dumpster was located behind the hotel I was working at, which at the time had rooms advertised for 39.99. It was also 7:30 in the morning.

After we knocked on his window...  :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/24/07 at 8:39 pm

I once saw a Squirrel get rolled by over a big SUV, an unfortunate incident but an everyday thing in NYC. The amazing thing was the squirrel WALKED AWAY after the accident. After the car rolled over him he just stood there stuck for like a minute(I could almost see a ythought bubble with the words "oh wtf?!!" hovering over him)..then he just calmly walked away and zoomed up a tree.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/24/07 at 8:46 pm

Hehe, I dropped off my friend at the baseball field when we were going to do batting practice so I could park the car while he set up.  Apparently there was a dead squirrel that was already there and I stopped right on its smashed head and some girl running by was like AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Funny.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 9:04 pm

i accidentally ran over a squirrel once, it was the weirdest thing i ever saw -- i looked in the rearview and it was hurtling through the air, spinning INCREDIBLY FAST. i think i probably killed it.

my worst accident and actually luckiest break was actually due to slayer. well, that and me drinking way too much and then driving. not my proudest moment. actually i blame the ambulance.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/07 at 9:21 pm

Years ago, while passing a motorist on the highway, as I look over at him as I passed by, he was shaking his fist, and mouthing words that I could almost hear, he was screaming so loud.  He obviously didn't like anyone to pass him

Hell, the speed limit was 80km and he was going 50 lol

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/24/07 at 9:24 pm

Ever ran over a seagull?  Now THAT is weird.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/07 at 9:33 pm

Ever ran over a seagull?  Now THAT is weird.

I've come close several times

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 10:58 pm

Hmmm...I grazed a deer one time. I was going around this corner and all of a sudden it came full force along the side of my car....it scraped..but I didn't hit it straight on.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/24/07 at 11:32 pm

I was nearly in an accident today...I was in the Starbucks drive-thru and i guess the people in the van in front of me didnt get their full order or something cause they backed up after pulling away from the window... but then when they went to leave i guess they were still in reverse...and came soooo close to hitting me..

the worst part though, is there i was like a dummy yelling "Whoa! Whoa!" when I should have been honking my horn. :-[

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/25/07 at 12:54 am

i accidentally ran over a squirrel once, it was the weirdest thing i ever saw -- i looked in the rearview and it was hurtling through the air, spinning INCREDIBLY FAST. i think i probably killed it.

About 10 years ago I was working as a taxi driver, and I was driving down a busy street with 3 or 4 people in my cab when I noticed something moving around on the road. When I got closer I saw that it was a squirrel that had been half run-over and was desperately thrashing around trying to get out of the street but it couldn't because it was STUCK TO THE PAVEMENT BY ITS OWN GUTS. Almost in unison, my passengers and I all went "EWWWWWWWW!" It was pretty gross.

Written By: Midas on 02/25/07 at 1:47 am

When I was living in NC I saw a squirrel crouching down as a car approached and instead of staying put, he stood up and got knocked in the head with the bumper.

In SC on my way to work on day I tried to take a 15 mph curve too fast in rainy weather and the road was slick so I ended up drifting then airborne for a few seconds and safely landed my dad's car off the road with a tree directly in front of me and two trees off to the passenger side.

Other than that I tried to drive home from a NYE party in 1991 on a flat tire which turned into a dented rim and a blown clutch two miles into the trip.  :P

Written By: Jessica on 02/25/07 at 10:24 am

When I was living in NC I saw a squirrel crouching down as a car approached and instead of staying put, he stood up and got knocked in the head with the bumper.

Man, squirrels are stupid. But that made me laugh. ;D

Ah, the boat incident. My dad is (or was, rather) an avid fisherman and he used to park his boat on our front lawn. So one morning, he gets up really early and readies the boat, hitches it to the truck, and starts to leave...except for something weird happened and he smacked the VW with the truck, then the boat. So the boat falls off the trailer, we're like, "What the hell?", and then me, my dad, Rice, and a neighbor had to manuever the boat (which weighed about a ton) on to the trailer again since it was blocking our street. It was six in the morning on December 9, and the only reason I remember the date is because six months earlier, the VW had gotten rear ended by some douchebag. Anyways, the boat and the car weren't too badly damaged, but the trailer kinda lost the guides. Whoops.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/25/07 at 10:26 am

I think he wasn't going fishing, but totally forgot that the boat was still hitched up and that's why he smacked the car with the boat :D

Written By: La Roche on 02/25/07 at 10:46 am

Man, squirrels are stupid. But that made me laugh. ;D

Ah, the boat incident. My dad is (or was, rather) an avid fisherman and he used to park his boat on our front lawn. So one morning, he gets up really early and readies the boat, hitches it to the truck, and starts to leave...except for something weird happened and he smacked the VW with the truck, then the boat. So the boat falls off the trailer, we're like, "What the hell?", and then me, my dad, Rice, and a neighbor had to manuever the boat (which weighed about a ton) on to the trailer again since it was blocking our street. It was six in the morning on December 9, and the only reason I remember the date is because six months earlier, the VW had gotten rear ended by some douchebag. Anyways, the boat and the car weren't too badly damaged, but the trailer kinda lost the guides. Whoops.

You had a boat blocking the street..  ;D You took a picture right?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/25/07 at 11:27 am

Yesterday night I was driving and there was a cottontail rabbit out in the middle of nowhere, but I missed him by about an inch! Whew!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/07 at 12:26 pm

I used to live up on a mountain. I was on my way to work one morning and the road was pretty icy. I tried to make it up one  hill, got halfway up and started to come down again. Instead of turning around and going down the mountain the other way, I was determine to get up this portion (the rest of the way was downhill). Once again, I got halfway up and started fishtailing and got the back end of the car stuck in a snowbank. I was only about a half mile from home so that wasn't too bad but was bad was the fact that the driver side door was locked frozen-and I couldn't get out on the passenger side (how I got in) because that was up against the snowbank. So, I had to climb out the window. Luckily, it was a back road that didn't have too much traffic so no one saw me climbing out the window. Went home, called work to say that I was going to be late and got help. By the time they dug my car out, the ice on the road had melted.

The funniest thing I saw someone do was when I lived in Texas. I was outside at work which was right next to the parking lot. There was this really high curb at the edge of the lot. I saw this guy back up and he got his back tire over the curb. But then he tried to get back over it, he managed to get his front tire over it. So the car was straddled over this huge curb. I watched him do it but I still couldn't figure out how he managed to do it. He got out of the car and came inside (I guess to call someone for help). I was trying so hard not to laugh at his misfortune but when he walked by me, I said, something like, "Not having a good day, huh?" He just grunted at me. What he could have done was just backed the car up because the curb diminished in size as it got closer to the road until there was no curb left. But, I guess he didn't noticed. I didn't see how he got out of that predicament since I had to go back to work.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/25/07 at 1:57 pm

You had a boat blocking the street..  ;D You took a picture right?

Nah, I was still trying to wake up and absorb the magnitude of the situation :P

Written By: gemini on 02/25/07 at 4:25 pm

I hit a deer a few years ago. Smashed up my car pretty good and scared the crap out of me. My daughter hit 2 deer at once, a mom and baby. My brother in law hit one last year and one a few months ago in the same spot. A co-worker hit a pig on his way to work one morning and another co-worker hit a couch that fell out of someones truck and my sister in law hit a boat that came unhitched and was rolling down the road. And lets see, my youngest was in 4 accidents last year, one her fault the rest weren't. The last was in december. She was hit in the back while stopped at a stop sign then was pushed out into the intersection and was hit on the driver side by another car. We have an insurance man on call!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/07 at 5:07 pm

One time my mother got into a little fender bender when stopped at a light. Nothing major. The insurance guy came over to the house, took a Polaroid of the car (which was parked off the road). Everything went smoothly. My mother started to go into the house, the insurance guy got into his car when this idiot came barreling around the corner and smashed into the back end of my mother's car. He claimed that the car was like that before he hit it-when the insurance guy had a Polaroid of the car not 10 minute prior. You know you have a claim when the insurance guy was a witness.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/25/07 at 7:15 pm

I hit a bird, killed it.  :(

I hit a rabbit, pretty sure I killed that too.  :(

I nearly ran off the road because a mouse ran over my foot while I was driving.  I had a mouse in my car for about 3 weeks, it came from a bag of trash I put into the trunk to haul to the dump.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/26/07 at 1:00 am

I gently rammed into the back of an Volkswagon bug. I was in my 1970 Chevy Malibu  & the VW was ahead of me coming to a stop sign when to my left some hot chick was walking on the sidewalk so I was checking her out and didn't realize it was time to stop. I bumped his car and dented his chrome exhaust pipe.I was not insured or registered, in fact at 20 years old, I still still not have my drivers license, buit owned 2 Chevys and had been drivin daily since I was 17. I talked to the other driver & offered him $30 bucks to just call it even and he took it and we went on our way.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/07 at 1:29 am

Twice in my life I have come under attack from kamikaze bunnies while I was driving. Both times I was driving along just minding my own business when out of the blue, an angry rabbit came running out from the side of the road and made a beeline directly for my car and then threw itself under my wheels. Part of me thought it was really funny, because there I was going 65 mph with 3500 lbs of steel around me, and these rabbits weighed maybe 7-10 lbs soaking wet, yet they actually thought that they could stop me (or even slow me down)?  Ha! It doesn't take a professor in physics to figure out who's gonna win that collision. Stupid bunnies!

Yet another part of me was really freaked out by it. What did I ever do to those rabbits to make them so mad at me that they would throw themselves underneath my speeding automobile in the astronomically slim hopes that they might somehow cause me to lose control of my vehicle, go sliding off into the ditch, roll end over end about 7 or 8 times, and then explode in a huge ball of flame?

Why do they hate me?  ??? ??? ???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/26/07 at 1:35 am

Twice in my life I have come under attack from kamikaze bunnies while I was driving. Both times I was driving along just minding my own business when out of the blue, an angry rabbit came running out from the side of the road and made a beeline directly for my car and then threw itself under my wheels. Part of me thought it was really funny, because there I was going 65 mph with 3500 lbs of steel around me, and these rabbits weighed maybe 7-10 lbs soaking wet, yet they actually thought that they could stop me (or even slow me down)?  Ha! It doesn't take a professor in physics to figure out who's gonna win that collision. Stupid bunnies!

Yet another part of me was really freaked out by it. What did I ever do to those rabbits to make them so mad at me that they would throw themselves underneath my speeding automobile in the astronomically slim hopes that they might somehow cause me to lose control of my vehicle, go sliding off into the ditch, roll end over end about 7 or 8 times, and then explode in a huge ball of flame?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x5DjeJFrRkBIEWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsYnVxczg1BHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTA2N184OQ--/SIG=12fg61i8m/EXP=1172561603/**http%3A//www.unclesgames.com/images/products/803004411007.jpg I had a friend that rolled his truck and broke his neck when he swerved trying to avoid these bunnies.  Never swerve Al, but you already know this.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/07 at 1:42 am

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x5DjeJFrRkBIEWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsYnVxczg1BHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTA2N184OQ--/SIG=12fg61i8m/EXP=1172561603/**http%3A//www.unclesgames.com/images/products/803004411007.jpg I had a friend that rolled his truck and broke his neck when he swerved trying to avoid these bunnies.  Never swerve Al, but you already know this.
Next time one of those sonsofbitches tries to kill me I'm gonna turn around, get out of my car and stomp on its head as hard as I can just to make sure.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/26/07 at 1:43 am

Next time one of those sonsofbitches tries to kill me I'm gonna turn around, get out of my car and stomp on its head as hard as I can just to make sure.
;D post a pic of that please

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/07 at 1:47 am

;D post a pic of that please
That'd be so wrong, wouldn't it?  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/26/07 at 1:56 am

That'd be so wrong, wouldn't it?  ;D ;D ;D
after I was done laughing I'd agree that it's very very wrong.

Written By: Tia on 02/26/07 at 4:06 am

you're both very very bad people. bunnykillers! bunnykillers!

Written By: karen on 02/26/07 at 4:54 am

Just yesterday we were driving up to Sherwood Forest to go out on our bikes.  We just got out onto the main road and got up to speed when we heard a thump on the roof.  Hubby slowed down and was able to pull over into a layby.  We got out to take a look to find that my bike had thrown itself off the roof rack and was just balanced on the roof!  :o  Luckily nothing was damaged.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/26/07 at 8:01 am

Probably the best was driving home one night in the winter, I came to a "T" intersection and tried to stop.  Directly in front of me are 2 signs, about a car's width apart.....needless to say, I managed to slide through the intersection and end up right between the signs in about 2' of snow....BUT, I couldn't open either door (it was a 2 door coupe) because of the signs and couldn't climb out of the windows either so I was stuck until someone decided to stop....luckily, there was a friend driving by with a truck and a rope who managed to pull me straight out (which he had to do because there was barely enough room to put a hand between the signposts and the doors).  The car was not damaged at all. :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/07 at 10:26 am

When I was 4 years old, my sister left me in the car while she ran into my grandma's house.  I decided to pretend I was driving, put the car in reverse, and rolled down my grandma's steep driveway, totally destroying her neighbor's wooden fence across the street. 

Another time, a road crew dug a big huge hole in my parent's front yard to fix some water pipes.  My sister somehow managed to back my mom's car into the hole.  I still don't know how she did it, but the car ended up being ok - we just had to have a wrecker come and get it out.

Yet another time, I was riding in the car with my mom.  It was a summer night and the windows were down.  All of the sudden we heard this terrible screech - my mom had run over the a cat's tail.  We stopped to see if it was ok, but the cat ran off - I'm sure it was pretty pissed! 

Written By: Gis on 02/26/07 at 10:45 am

My very first driving lesson I ended up in a deep ditch! I had never driven before and so didn't know how to steer. We got to the frist bend in the road and I kept on going straight.  ;D After that we did lots of driving around the R.A.F camp I lived on before I was out on the main roads again.

Funniest story I can think of My friends Dad drove a big transport lorry and early one morning saw a Pheasant lying dead in the road. It looked perfect and unsquashed and as it was early and there was no other traffic about he pulled up and picked it up putting it on the passenger seat in the cab. A little while later he pulls on to the motorway (freeway) and the damn bird comes round and starts flapping all round the cab. He said he was swerving all over the road!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/07 at 10:52 am

My very first driving lesson I ended up in a deep ditch! I had never driven before and so didn't know how to steer. We got to the frist bend in the road and I kept on going straight.  ;D After that we did lots of driving around the R.A.F camp I lived on before I was out on the main roads again.

LOL! 

Funniest story I can think of My friends Dad drove a big transport lorry and early one morning saw a Pheasant lying dead in the road. It looked perfect and unsquashed and as it was early and there was no other traffic about he pulled up and picked it up putting it on the passenger seat in the cab. A little while later he pulls on to the motorway (freeway) and the damn bird comes round and starts flapping all round the cab. He said he was swerving all over the road!

My uncle had a similar experience - he was driving with his window down, when a bird flew into his car.  It was flapping around everywhere, and it totally cut up his face!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/07 at 11:45 am

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 02/26/07 at 1:00 pm

Probably the best was driving home one night in the winter, I came to a "T" intersection and tried to stop.  Directly in front of me are 2 signs, about a car's width apart.....needless to say, I managed to slide through the intersection and end up right between the signs in about 2' of snow....BUT, I couldn't open either door (it was a 2 door coupe) because of the signs and couldn't climb out of the windows either so I was stuck until someone decided to stop....luckily, there was a friend driving by with a truck and a rope who managed to pull me straight out (which he had to do because there was barely enough room to put a hand between the signposts and the doors).  The car was not damaged at all. :o
LOL

I was just reading this thinking...what's the likeliness of someone driving by with a truck and they just happen to have a rope.  Then I realized that I have a truck...with a rope in it. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/07 at 3:01 pm

I heard this story. Don't know where or who it was but there was some guy who went turkey hunting out of season. He bagged on, put it in his trunk along with his hunting rifle and drove away. I guess the turkey wasn't dead-came to and started thrashing about in the trunk. In his fit, somehow he hit the rifle and it went off and bullet went through the backseat and hit the guy in the shoulder. While he was in the hospital, the cops came and issued him a ticket for hunting turkey out of season.  ;D ;D ;D

I can't vouch if that is a true story or not (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but it still is a funny story.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/07 at 3:23 pm

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit.

Cat

you're both very very bad people. bunnykillers! bunnykillers!
No, no, no! You don't understand! THEY tried to kill ME!!!  :o :o :o

Written By: karen on 02/27/07 at 11:14 am

In June 2002 we were woken up by the sound of a car entering our house via the front door.  He was a diabetic having a bit of an incident and he went straight across the junction instead of turning right.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 4:30 am

In June 2002 we were woken up by the sound of a car entering our house via the front door.  He was a diabetic having a bit of an incident and he went straight across the junction instead of turning right.

THAT is the best one yet.

Written By: karen on 02/28/07 at 4:32 am

THAT is the best one yet.

What I love about it is he didn't hit anything until he reached our front door.  If you stood at our front door you'd swear that there wasn't a straight line between the junction and the door.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 5:00 am

What I love about it is he didn't hit anything until he reached our front door.  If you stood at our front door you'd swear that there wasn't a straight line between the junction and the door.

Although my knowledge of Loughbrough is sketchy at best, I know where your house is and I'm aware of the junction in question.. and no.. I'd be really suprised if he could cross that and collide with your door without hitting anything els.e

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/28/07 at 9:17 am

Holy crap!  Does that mean the car was airborne at some point?  :o

Written By: karen on 02/28/07 at 9:32 am

Holy crap!  Does that mean the car was airborne at some point?  :o

I actually stood at the junction and looked at it once.  I think he was in the wrong lane for the direction he should have turned.  Then it is more or less a straight line.  Still tricky though given the gate is not much wider than the car and the front door is set back compared to the front of the house.  It's on the right hand side in this picture

Check for new replies or respond here...