inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you have a temper?

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/07 at 11:19 pm

For the most part, I don't.  When I find myself getting beyond simply "irritated", I remind myself that if I get mad/upset at someone, I am giving them the power to control how I feel...and that usually calms me down.

I do have my days, though... :-\\

Subject: Re: Do you have a temper?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:20 pm

I have a horrible temper.  When I get mad I can fly off the handle, and say things that I later regret. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:22 pm

I have a short effing fuse.  I inherited it from my father.  It doesn't take much to set me off, however with friends and family, that's a different story.  With them I am usually much slower to anger than I am with people I don't know.  I try not to make a scene in public, but one time I was on a crowded elevator, and this guy standing behind my sister started fondling her ass.  She didn't notice, but I did so at the top of my lungs I screamed "This man is trying to molest my underage sister!" and the whole crowd turned around to look at the guy.  He bolted as soon as the doors opened.  This elderly woman told me to control my temper, but I said when it comes to my sister, you touch her and you die.

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/07 at 11:26 pm

I sometimes have a temper, but it takes alot to set me off

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:26 pm

I have a short effing fuse.  I inherited it from my father.  It doesn't take much to set me off, however with friends and family, that's a different story.  With them I am usually much slower to anger than I am with people I don't know.  I try not to make a scene in public, but one time I was on a crowded elevator, and this guy standing behind my sister started fondling her ass.  She didn't notice, but I did so at the top of my lungs I screamed "This man is trying to molest my underage sister!" and the whole crowd turned around to look at the guy.  He bolted as soon as the doors opened.  This elderly woman told me to control my temper, but I said when it comes to my sister, you touch her and you die.

Old bitch was probably jealous he didn't fondle HER ass.

My temper is wack. It doesn't take much to set me off. I've been trying to control it though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:28 pm

I have an inner temper.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:28 pm

Old bitch was probably jealous he didn't fondle HER ass.

My temper is wack. It doesn't take much to set me off. I've been trying to control it though.

I couldn't believe she'd tell me that.  Some guy is groping my sister RIGHT NEXT TO ME! and she acts like I'm in the wrong because I a) embarrassed the SOB and b) ran him off.  I'm not waiting until his hands are down her pants, you old coot. 

And I'm trying to work on my temper, but it's hard.  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:30 pm

I couldn't believe she'd tell me that.  Some guy is groping my sister RIGHT NEXT TO ME! and she acts like I'm in the wrong because I a) embarrassed the SOB and b) ran him off.  I'm not waiting until his hands are down her pants, you old coot. 

yes, it is very hard. I too am trying to calm down and not let little things upset me....but it doesn't take much, believe me.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/07 at 11:32 pm

Yesterday and today I had a really short fuse.  I think its from lack of sleep.

Today at work everyone was tripping out because I kept getting stuck on these phone calls where I would try to end the conversation and the person on the other end wouldn't stop talking.  So I'd say "Ok, I'll talk to you later..."  and then I'd pound my desk with my fist because the person would say "Oh and one more thing" >:(

It happened several times today and I just wasn't in the mood to talk to people.  Everyone kept asking if i was ok, they've never seen me like that before.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:32 pm

For reals. I'd do the same thing if my sister was getting groped. Then again, I wouldn't have to. She has a temper like yours. That girl gets in people's faces and tells them off if they cross her. :o She's toned it down some though because the city where she works is getting a lot of drive bys and shist going on. Her work now requires her to wear one of those necklaces with the 911 button on it to press if they get robbed or whatever.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:32 pm

yes, it is very hard. I too am trying to calm down and not let little things upset me....but it doesn't take much, believe me.

My sister and I are getting to a weird stage right now....we're fighting over every little stupid thing.  Just yesterday she bitched me out for putting the towel in our bathroom on the wrong towel rack and I yelled at her for not putting the toilet paper on the toilet paper roll holder the right way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:33 pm

Yesterday and today I had a really short fuse.  I think its from lack of sleep.

Today at work everyone was tripping out because I kept getting stuck on these phone calls where I would try to end the conversation and the person on the other end wouldn't stop talking.  So I'd say "Ok, I'll talk to you later..."  and then I'd pound my desk with my fist because the person would say "Oh and one more thing" >:(

It happened several times today and I just wasn't in the mood to talk to people.  Everyone kept asking if i was ok, they've never seen me like that before.

I get that way so often. I try to avoid people in general sometimes because of my horrible moods...it's just better that way for everyone involved. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 11:41 pm

I don't get "mad" mad very often. Maybe irritated or slightly annoyed (I have my little pet peeves, everyone does), but even then, I try and discuss it or solve it best I can.

I will say though, if I take it out on anything, it's usually on inatimate objects more than displaying actual anger towards people.

One thing I used to really get annoyed by was computer problems. Like when I was 16 -- when people were on dialup and the 'Net was slower -- I had written this really well-constructed comment for some board, and was about to hit "Send" when the thing froze and erased my comment. I got so p*ssed I put a pretty good-sized dent in the monitor, lol.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/27/07 at 11:58 pm

Two versions of an old proverb:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
The firepower to make the difference,
And the poll numbers to hide the bodies.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/07 at 12:36 am

I have an inner temper.

If you have an inner child too, would that make for a temper-tantrum?  :D

Written By: Gis on 02/28/07 at 1:26 am

Well I do have a temper eventually. It takes a long, long, long time for me to loose it but when I do it's nasty, really nasty. I hate arguing and so basically I avoid it. Strangely the one person who can wind me up almost instatntly is my brother.  ;D 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 1:32 am

You win. Putting the TP on the holder the wrong way is much worse than hanging a towel the wrong way (is there a "right" way to hang a towel?  ??? I usually pitch them in the laundry hamper anyway.)

We have two different towel racks in our bathroom and I put the towel on the wrong one.  She wants them on the rack closest to the shower, I want them on the one farthest from the shower, so the wet towels don't drip on the rugs.  There's nothing worse than putting your bare feet on a wet rug when you're trying to use the bathroom at 2 in the morning.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/28/07 at 1:33 am

We have two different towel racks in our bathroom and I put the towel on the wrong one.  She wants them on the rack closest to the shower, I want them on the one farthest from the shower, so the wet towels don't drip on the rugs.  There's nothing worse than putting your bare feet on a wet rug when you're trying to use the bathroom at 2 in the morning.
I agree. Correct towel hanging is important. 

Written By: Howard on 02/28/07 at 6:13 am

I don't have much of a temper.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 6:29 am

Yeah, a really nasty one.

I let things build up real slowly and they eat away and eventually I'll reach that breaking point and go nuts.
It's like a total rage blackout.  ;D

I'll get violent, destroy things, be as vicious and hurtful as possible and totally destructive.

Then I'll usually leave wherever I am.. clear my head.. calm down, go back and sort things out logically.

I got in a lot of trouble with my temper when I was in school. If something was bugging me, I'd usually punch it.

Written By: jackas on 02/28/07 at 7:56 am

My temper is a lot better than it used to be.  I used to be a total A-hole, but I'm been getting calmer as I'm getting older.  I used to throw things across the room and kick holes in the wall, but it usually takes a little bit to make me mad and then I just go off.

I think it has a lot to do with how angry of a person you are.  I used to be a very angry person, but I've let a lot of that anger go.  It's not worth it to feel that way all the time.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/28/07 at 9:06 am

I guess I'm no more patient than the average person, I'm just good at keeping it in and avoiding confrontation...I very rarely get into serious arguments - although If I'm pissed at someone I tend to forgive them quickly. Like Marty, I'm often angered more by circumstances and at inanimate objects than people (Although people frequently irritate me and sometimes I DO wish I could treat them like inanimate objects!), but no, no Anger Management meetings for me atm.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/28/07 at 9:14 am

If you have an inner child too, would that make for a temper-tantrum?  :D

Nah...my inner child would probably play with the inner temper like it was a Hot Wheels car or something.

Written By: Southern Image on 02/28/07 at 9:24 am

Lately ( ok, the past few years) I've been sporting a bad temper.  Little things that never bothered me before are now grating on my nerves. I try to hold it in but sometimes , the beast just has to roar  :D

I wasn't like that 10 years ago. So I blame it hormones and age. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/07 at 12:22 pm

Not usually-I don't get mad, I get even.  ;D ;D ;D

Actually, there are times when I do get angry but I try very hard not to have displaced anger-if I am mad about how a certain company has treated me, I don't get mad at Carlos (but I will use him as a sounding board).

Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I am angry.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/28/07 at 12:48 pm

I am very easily irritated, but I only get really mad at strangers, especially when I'm driving.  I swear, I flip someone off at least once a day.  With my husband, no matter how mad I am at him, I try to stay as calm as possible.  If we're in the middle of a fight, and I speak slowly and never raise my voice, it makes him crazy - the calmer I am, the madder he gets, and he usually loses the argument.  It's slightly evil on my part to manipulate him this way, but when I'm mad I don't care.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/28/07 at 1:26 pm

I have a temper, but it takes a lot to provoke me now. Things can irritate me - like when people tease me or act rudely, but I think this is a natural response that most people have with those sorts of things.

When I was younger, my brother usually set me off to the deep end. He was an antagonizer to the ninth degree. He'd have me in a tizzy because I couldn't get him to lay off sometimes (teasing, etc). I'd almost go insane. I even shoved him up against the wall and spit in his face. I feel bad about doing that now, lol. I've calmed down since then, but I think when you're a kid, you tend to express yourself in ways you don't know how except with outward anger. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/28/07 at 1:51 pm

I do (I got it from my dad)...and it's usually put to the test by my kids!  :-[

Written By: Howard on 02/28/07 at 2:47 pm

I keep my anger bottled up sometimes then I let it out.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/28/07 at 2:55 pm

My temper is mostly due to hormones.  I have pretty bad mood swings.

Written By: gemini on 02/28/07 at 5:13 pm

Not as bad as I used to.  I've noticed that I've mellowed out drastically since the girls are grown.

Written By: spaceace on 02/28/07 at 10:33 pm

Not much of one.  It takes a lot for me to blow my top.

Written By: Tam on 03/01/07 at 12:23 am

I definitely have a temper.
Sometimes it takes the littlest thing to set me off.
I do try to control it - but there are times when it is next to impossible!

Being irritated is another thing.
I think I am constantly irritated. Who knows? ???

Written By: Stompgal on 03/01/07 at 5:22 am

I lost my temper last month. One Saturday night, I was watching Dancing on Ice with my Link Worker Eva when another member of staff (Tina) called her to do some duties. After the first performance I got so fed up that I ran out of the lounge screaming. Tina said I was disturbing everyone but because I don't really like her, I told her I didn't care and I also told her to leave me alone. I eventually watched the rest of the programme with Eva.

After the programme things got much worse. Eva went downstairs for a while and I waited in the corridor with my hot water bottle during her time downstairs. I walked over to the notice board that displays photos of staff members at my house and I somehow hit it. Tina saw me doing it and she had a go at me before she went home. When Eva returned upstairs, I burst into tears. She asked me what was wrong and as she boiled the water in the kettle for my HWB, I told her I didn't like Tina because of the way she treated me. I was also on my period at the time of the incident and I can get angry or upset the week before I start or when I'm actually 'on.'

Written By: Southern Image on 03/01/07 at 9:14 am

I lost my temper yesterday.  >:(  What can I say, it's the Italian in me.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/07 at 9:50 am

Ocasionally. I got upset at one of my roomates, yesterday. Thankfully, it has been all dealt with.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/07 at 11:31 am

I don't have to unleash my temper on Greasy Latin Guy today.  Maybe the death stares worked.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/01/07 at 12:49 pm

I have one, usually it takes alot to get me angry. But certain things anger me quickly.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 2:51 pm

When I have a temper,I don't physically harm I just lash out verbally. >:(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/02/07 at 7:21 am

Not as bad as I used to.  I've noticed that I've mellowed out drastically since the girls are grown.

Interestingly, as my kids have grown, I have gone the other way  :P

Written By: Howard on 03/02/07 at 2:46 pm

Only When I need to use it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/02/07 at 5:07 pm

I wanted to rat out on a customer yesterday for placing a false ad, but I had to be cool.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/02/07 at 10:59 pm

I have a temper, but it takes a lot to provoke me now. Things can irritate me - like when people tease me or act rudely, but I think this is a natural response that most people have with those sorts of things.

When I was younger, my brother usually set me off to the deep end. He was an antagonizer to the ninth degree. He'd have me in a tizzy because I couldn't get him to lay off sometimes (teasing, etc). I'd almost go insane. I even shoved him up against the wall and spit in his face. I feel bad about doing that now, lol. I've calmed down since then, but I think when you're a kid, you tend to express yourself in ways you don't know how except with outward anger.

While it's hard for me to imagine you being mean or angry, lol, I think it's justifyable there. I'm kinda this way too, so I think that would've gotten on my nerves too. I don't mind being teased in itself too much. But when it's ongoing, sometimes a bunch of little things culminated over time can really annoy me, almost more than one big thing.

Another thing is, while I tend to be a pretty good problem solver between others (probably because I can often see both sides of various arguments), I don't take it very well if the argument is directed at me.

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/02/07 at 11:13 pm

I was in nasty mode for most oif last summer. I was just stressed out with my ex(he's history btw) and some other stuff. I've gotten my cheerfully patient demanor back though. I hate getting angry, it's just so taxing on my body.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/07 at 7:37 am

My Father does. ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/03/07 at 10:55 am

I am very easily irritated, but I only get really mad at strangers, especially when I'm driving.  I swear, I flip someone off at least once a day.  With my husband, no matter how mad I am at him, I try to stay as calm as possible.  If we're in the middle of a fight, and I speak slowly and never raise my voice, it makes him crazy - the calmer I am, the madder he gets, and he usually loses the argument.  It's slightly evil on my part to manipulate him this way, but when I'm mad I don't care.
I'm pretty much the same way.  I get irritated, but I usually don't show it unless it's a stranger and involves my kids.  With hubby, I usually don't say anything, which REALLY gets him going....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/05/07 at 8:26 pm

once in awhile, yeah. As nice as I am or come off as being, there are rare times when some spark lights a fire within me and then I am ruthless and unmerciful and just plain mean. I like to call it controlled rage. pretty hard to believe, isn't it. But most of the time I am in total control of my temper and self. 

Written By: Howard on 03/06/07 at 12:39 pm

Most of the time I have a temper but the other times I don't have one.

Check for new replies or respond here...