inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: M*A*S*H-Evil?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/07 at 11:22 am

As I was posting a response to something on the political board, I was looking for a quote from the show M*A*S*H and found this website.

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.9.14.8148.39865.html

The whole thing is just so ridiculous that it is funny (especially their argument how M*A*S*H is assocated with witchcraft.) I really want to tell these people that it is just a t.v. show and to get a life. But, it does make for some entertaining reading.

I wasn't too sure where to put this thread (here or on the political board). If the mods feel that I put it in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Cat

Subject: Re: M*A*S*H-Evil?

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/01/07 at 12:49 pm

I laughed so hard reading that, especially the part about Colonel Potter and Harry Potter.  ;D  That's really farfetched.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/01/07 at 1:26 pm

Its got to be either a spoof or some far right lunatic fring, or both.

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 2:23 pm

Wow! And that show lasted how many seasons?  Well Goddess bless America.  I know someone who served in Korea and he enjoyed the show tremendously.  That ranks up there with the Family Research Council trying to convince us Mighty Mouse was snorting coke in the cartoons.  Besides, I always though Klinger looked absolutely stunning in a dress. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 2:27 pm

So why was M.A.S.H. evil?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 2:29 pm

I think it's a bunch of hooey.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/01/07 at 2:34 pm

That entire website is scary.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/07 at 3:01 pm

Wow! And that show lasted how many seasons?  Well Goddess bless America.  I know someone who served in Korea and he enjoyed the show tremendously.  That ranks up there with the Family Research Council trying to convince us Mighty Mouse was snorting coke in the cartoons.  Besides, I always though Klinger looked absolutely stunning in a dress. :)

The show lasted 11 seasons. IMO it was the best show EVER-but then again, I dabble in witchcraft.  :D ;D ;D

Some of Klinger's outfits were great-the Egyptian one, the nurses outfit with the red cape and of course this one...

http://www.semsagt.net/myndir/021107.jpg

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 3:13 pm

The show lasted 11 seasons. IMO it was the best show EVER-but then again, I dabble in witchcraft.  :D ;D ;D

Some of Klinger's outfits were great-the Egyptian one, the nurses outfit with the red cape and of course this one...

Cat

I can remember watching M*A*S*H as a kid and laughing when Klinger would go around camp like he only had 15 minutes to get himself prepared for the day. I also liked Father Mahoney.  He was what ever priest really acts like on a day to day basis.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 3:19 pm

Cat

Jamie Farr always cracked me up. ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 03/01/07 at 5:01 pm

I got a kick out of how they compared Col. Potter to Harry Potter., It' sad to think people actually
believe this rhetoric. This witchcraft comparison leads me to a question.

Certain religious groups wanted to ban Harry Potter for promoting witchcraft and wizardry.

When the characters in Harry Potter cast spells it called witchcraft, yet when a guy named Jesus changes
water into wine, heals the sick, feeds the multitudes and raises man from the dead it's called a miracle. Why?

Witches are supposed to float and Jesus walked on water, any connections there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/07 at 5:06 pm

I got a kick out of how they compared Col. Potter to Harry Potter., It' sad to think people actually

Certain religious groups wanted to ban Harry Potter for promoting witchcraft and wizardry.

When the characters in Harry Potter cast spells it called witchcraft, yet when a guy named Jesus changes
water into wine, heals the sick, feeds the multitudes and raises man from the dead it's called a miracle. Why?

Very interesting. (And karma)  It could be that Jesus was practicing Wicca.  ;)

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 5:17 pm

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/01/07 at 6:26 pm

Cat

He was quite the beauty  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 6:29 pm

I liked Klinger's character toward the end of the show, when he ditched the dresses.  I thought that was too OTT.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/01/07 at 7:28 pm

I wouldn't judge christians and christianity based on a article like this, which is obviously one Loon's opinion on the show.
I love Mash, and all the dysfunction and odd characters. reminds me of this board  :)

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 7:34 pm

I wouldn't judge christians and christianity based on a article like this, which is obviously one Loon's opinion on the show.
I love Mash, and all the dysfunction and odd characters. reminds me of this board  :)

I'm thinking you're probably Hawkeye and AL-B is B.J.  Give me a while to think of the rest. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 7:45 pm

Hawkeye Pierce is one of my favorite characters on any TV show ever. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/01/07 at 8:18 pm

I'm thinking you're probably Hawkeye and AL-B is B.J.  Give me a while to think of the rest. :)
;D good choice spaceace. I think I relate to Hawkeye the best and if I were a character on Mash, you nailed it. It'd be him.

Hawkeye Pierce is one of my favorite characters on any TV show ever. 
ditto

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/07 at 8:33 pm

I am a Catholic, and found the whole M*A*S*H* and witchcraft thingy connection, absolutely hillarious.  ;D

Yeah, J.K. Rowling, named Harry Potter, after the charecter on the show.  ::)

Next, we will be told the whole is flat.  ::)  ;D

By the way, read this next quote, and ponder it....  Seriously.

"at least while the current emergency is in affect.

While our elite forces have no morale problems, if the anticipated conflict in Afghanistan increases in scope, we may need to send the regular Amry forces over there. How would those GI Joes feel when they were shivering in rocky mountains, fighting curel infidels, while Joe and Jane Sixpack sat in front of their TV watching M*A*S*H and laughing at the military. I'd bet they'd feel ungrateful.

So in support of our men in uniform, let's ban M*A*S*H."

::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/07 at 8:53 pm

I also think it was funny how, certain people, thought Spongebob and Twinky Winky, were gay, and part of a "vast conspircary to turn kids gay".

Funny, in like a what type of airplane glue where they sniffing kind of way.

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/02/07 at 3:00 am

I am a Catholic, and found the whole M*A*S*H* and witchcraft thingy connection, absolutely hillarious.  ;D

Yeah, J.K. Rowling, named Harry Potter, after the charecter on the show.  ::)

Next, we will be told the whole is flat.   ::)   ;D

By the way, read this next quote, and ponder it....  Seriously.

"at least while the current emergency is in affect.

While our elite forces have no morale problems, if the anticipated conflict in Afghanistan increases in scope, we may need to send the regular Amry forces over there. How would those GI Joes feel when they were shivering in rocky mountains, fighting curel infidels, while Joe and Jane Sixpack sat in front of their TV watching M*A*S*H and laughing at the military. I'd bet they'd feel ungrateful.

So in support of our men in uniform, let's ban M*A*S*H."

::)

they'd probably get a big kick out of watching Mash over there. I would, and make it a double feature with Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.

Written By: Davester on 03/02/07 at 3:20 am

Look who leads in the poll as the most evil character...

Sgt. Rizzo..!

Yeah, that guy always did give me an uncomfortable feeling and a sense of dread... 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/02/07 at 3:28 am

Look who leads in the poll as the most evil character...

Sgt. Rizzo..!

Yeah, that guy always did give me an uncomfortable feeling and a sense of dread... 
I only remember him from Police Academy if that's the same guy

Written By: Davester on 03/02/07 at 3:36 am

I only remember him from Police Academy if that's the same guy

Yes, it's the same actor...

He plays the psycho in charge of the motorpool...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/02/07 at 3:40 am

Yes, it's the same actor...

He plays the psycho in charge of the motorpool...

I don't recall his character.

Written By: Davester on 03/02/07 at 3:46 am

I don't recall his character.

Without looking it up, I think he joined the cast toward the middle of the series...

Just to add, he became sort of a regular at the poker table...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/02/07 at 7:17 am

EVIL, I tells ya !  :P

The question is "what was evil"...

The answer was getting rid of Trapper, Henry and Frank  :o  That was evil !  The show was never quite the same....  :(

As for the article, what a load of T*R*A*S*H.

My favorite bit of inward-centric thinking :

"Doubtless, Rowlings was attempting to associate the name of her protagonist witch with a character that, for whatever reason, is much beloved by the American people. She was trying to trick the moral community of America into accepting this devil-boy by using cheap and tawdry name recognition."

Why 'Americans' particularly ?  How intriguingly self-important of the author to assume that J K R sees it as necessary to witch-ify America specifically....muwahahaha.  Trains of thought can be so ludicrous it's unbelievable  ::) :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/07 at 9:51 am

they'd probably get a big kick out of watching Mash over there. I would, and make it a double feature with Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.

Heaven forbid they end up watching Stripes!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/07 at 9:53 am

EVIL, I tells ya !  :P

The question is "what was evil"...

The answer was getting rid of Trapper, Henry and Frank  :o  That was evil !  The show was never quite the same....  :(

As for the article, what a load of T*R*A*S*H.

My favorite bit of inward-centric thinking :

"Doubtless, Rowlings was attempting to associate the name of her protagonist witch with a character that, for whatever reason, is much beloved by the American people. She was trying to trick the moral community of America into accepting this devil-boy by using cheap and tawdry name recognition."

Why 'Americans' particularly ?  How intriguingly self-important of the author to assume that J K R sees it as necessary to witch-ify America specifically....muwahahaha.  Trains of thought can be so ludicrous it's unbelievable  ::) :P

I think the article was B*A*R*F*, myself.  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/02/07 at 4:42 pm

I think the article was B*A*R*F*, myself.  ;D

Or C*R*A*P  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/07 at 4:49 pm

We were watching that "evil" show last night. Maybe that is why we are so horny  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/02/07 at 9:43 pm

I laughed so hard reading that, especially the part about Colonel Potter and Harry Potter.  ;D  That's really farfetched.

I only got that far, too. Hilarious. ;D

Never mind, I found my favorite line in the whole thing:

One wonders why the producers of M*A*S*H felt compelled to include an openly black character,

Openly black?  As opposed to a closeted black character? ;D 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 9:53 pm

That "openly black" line reminded me of a George Carlin bit.  He was joking about people who are gay and who are out there with it, are referred to as "openly gay".  He said that would never work for any other group. He asked if we could think of someone who was openly black, and someone yelled out "Louis Farrakhan"....and when he asked for someone who was openly white, the same guy yelled "Colin Powell".  It was funny when you see him do it, obviously.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/18 at 5:30 pm

So, I was searching through the archives when I came across this. Yes the link is still active. If you want a really good laugh, here it is.

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.9.14.8148.39865.html

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/18 at 6:08 pm

That "openly black" line reminded me of a George Carlin bit.  He was joking about people who are gay and who are out there with it, are referred to as "openly gay".  He said that would never work for any other group. He asked if we could think of someone who was openly black, and someone yelled out "Louis Farrakhan"....and when he asked for someone who was openly white, the same guy yelled "Colin Powell".  It was funny when you see him do it, obviously.

It wasn't all that long ago that people were referred to as "practicing homosexuals". I'm reminded of a hilarious scene on the old 70s sitcom "Soap". "Soap" isn't all that remembered now, but it pushed the envelope. Somebody asked the gay character (played by Billy Crystal in an early role) "are you a practicing homosexual?". To which he responded "I don't have to practice. I'm already very good at it."  ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/03/19 at 9:16 pm

The worst thing about M*A*S*H (to liberals) is that now it might be too P.I. with time. That shouldn't stop the show's fans from watching and admiring the show.

Check for new replies or respond here...