inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Ex Made Me Do It....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 9:31 pm

I know that usually when anyone thinks of an "ex"...it's usually really negative things.  However, sometimes if you think really hard, you can usually find something that they either taught you, instilled in you, rubbed off on you, etc...that you are either happy about and/or grateful for in the present day. So, what's one thing that an "ex" did for you that ended up being a positive thing?

One thing that comes to mind about my ex....is that he introduced me to some awesome music. He was really into 70's classic rock and 80's music, and before I was with him...I had no knowledge to most of it...but thanks to him...I know some great music by some great artists. :)

Subject: Re: My Ex Made Me Do It....

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:01 pm

I know that usually when anyone thinks of an "ex"...it's usually really negative things.  However, sometimes if you think really hard, you can usually find something that they either taught you, instilled in you, rubbed off on you, etc...that you are either happy about and/or grateful for in the present day. So, what's one thing that an "ex" did for you that ended up being a positive thing?

One thing that comes to mind about my ex....is that he introduced me to some awesome music. He was really into 70's classic rock and 80's music, and before I was with him...I had no knowledge to most of it...but thanks to him...I know some great music by some great artists. :)

I'm sure I can think of something in a sec.

Sorry, but since Eighties music was mentioned, you know I can't just not comment, lol. I was gonna ask if part of the appeal of old-school bands (I know you're into The Ramones alot, and The Cars) the fact that you don't remember it firsthand so much?

In other words, it was like discovering a treasure you didn't know was there.

That's how it is for me. True, "my" '80s in terms of lifetime experience starts around 1987. However, I can remember songs like "Straight Up", "Living On a Prayer", "Free Fallin" and "Don't Worry Be Happy" getting played out and on the radio every two seconds. After awhile it was like, Okay I like this, but I've heard enough of it for two lifetimes by now! ;D

Whereas, I never had that worn out feeling from listeneing to 1982 songs in the late '80s, since it was kinda secondhand (either with tapes, or more sporadic airplay).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:11 pm

I'm sure I can think of something in a sec.

Sorry, but since "Eighties music" was mentioned, you know I can't just not comment, lol. I was gonna ask if part of the appeal of old-school bands (I know you're into The Ramones alot, and The Cars) the fact that you don't remember it firsthand? In other words, it was like discovering a treasure you didn't know was there.

That's how it is for me. True, starting around 1987 is more "my" time as far as firsthand experience. However, there was stuff that kinda got played out when they were actually big the first time. I can remember "Straight Up", "Living On a Prayer", "Free Fallin" and "Don't Worry Be Happy" being everywhere and on the radio every two seconds, so after awhile it was like Okay I know I like this, but I'm sick of it for now! ;D

Whereas, I never had that worn out experience with, say listeneing to 1982 songs in the late '80s, since it was kinda secondhand and more sporadic.

*geek mode off*

Yes, in a way...that is correct.  Regarding The Ramones....I was first introduced to them back when I was about 13 or so. My older cousin was into that type of music, and I would always go through his music and listen to it...and I stumbled upon his Ramones tapes...and loved them ever since.  However...my ex introduced me to music that I was not even aware of in the past. Because of him, I have broadened my musical horizons a great deal.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:13 pm

Oh, and as far as the original topic is concerned -- I'm probably pretty boring in this regard 'cause I don't have almost ANY negative thoughts about any ex's (although I don't have that many, for my age at least, lol).

Most girlfriends I've ever had have started out as friends or acquaintances first. So even if it didn't work out as far as dating went, I've still remained relatively friendly with them, or at least amicable.

Basically, there's more positives than negatives, so it's hard to narrow it down to one. But, since music is already mentioned, I had one who likes classical and she managed to sorta get me into it (I admit, as a kid, that was one genre I tended to get bored by).

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:16 pm

Yes, in a way...that is correct.  Regarding The Ramones....I was first introduced to them back when I was about 13 or so. My older cousin was into that type of music, and I would always go through his music and listen to it...and I stumbled upon his Ramones tapes...and loved them ever since.  However...my ex introduced me to music that I was not even aware of in the past. Because of him, I have broadened my musical horizons a great deal.

Oh, that's cool. From the little bits I know, most punk rock like them is pretty timeless anyway, since it wasn't trying to be trendy. This is kinda embarrasing, but the only song of theirs I know in detail (besides "Hey Ho, Let's Go" - which is their trademark anyway) is "I Don't Wanna Fight". And that was 'cause it was featured in the Beavis and Butthead Christmas special. ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 03/01/07 at 10:21 pm

Oh, that's cool. From the little bits I know, most punk rock like them is pretty timeless anyway, since it was trying to be trendy. This is kinda embarrasing, but the only song of theirs I know in detail (besides "Hey Ho, let's go" - which is their trademark anyway) is "I Don't Wanna Fight". And that was 'cause it was featured in the Beavis and Butthead Christmas special. ;D

I know "Blitzkrieg Bop" from the Tony Hawk 3 game lol, I would have NEVER thought at that time that that was a song from 1975!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:23 pm

Oh, that's cool. From the little bits I know, most punk rock like them is pretty timeless anyway, since it was trying to be trendy. This is kinda embarrasing, but the only song of theirs I know in detail (besides "Hey Ho, let's go" - which is their trademark anyway) is "I Don't Wanna Fight". And that was 'cause it was featured in the Beavis and Butthead Christmas special. ;D

You should definitely check out some of their other music! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:25 pm

I know "Blitzkrieg Bop" from the Tony Hawk 3 game lol, I would have NEVER thought at that time that that was a song from 1975!

Yeah, it doesn't sound old at all! And it's true about video games have introducing of people to music. The GTA games have alot of '80s music, and even some of those were new to me.

P.S. I even flubbed on the title. I forgot it was called "Blitzkrieg Bop", lol.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/01/07 at 10:26 pm

I have a song, I think it's called "Pinhead"? It... sounds like a total rip-off of DEVO. I wonder if DEVO had inspired them at all? XD That's kind of a funny thing to think about...

Seriously, the content, the guitars, and the vocals totally sounded like them!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:26 pm

I will, definitely. 8) It's not like I never go CD shopping, lol. Is that Christmas song similar to the rest of their stuff? Regardless of the era or the style of music, I admit I like commercial, catchy stuff most of the time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:32 pm

I will, definitely. 8) It's not like I never go CD shopping, lol. Is that Christmas song similar to the rest of their stuff? Regardless of the era or the style of music, I admit I like commercial, catchy stuff most of the time.

Yes...a lot of their songs sound the same. Here are a few of my favorites: Pet Cemetery, Bonzo Goes to Bitzberg, Howling At The Moon, Have You Ever Seen The Rain (A CCR cover).

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:34 pm

Yes...a lot of their songs sound the same. Here are a few of my favorites: Pet Cemetery, Bonzo Goes to Bitzberg, Howling At The Moon, Have You Ever Seen The Rain (A CCR cover).

Oh, I like the original "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", and the book/movie Pet Cemetary, so in a way, that's half the list right there. 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:35 pm

Oh, I like the original "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", and the book/movie Pet Cemetery, so in a way, that's half the list right there. 8)

Yes...I think you will like the ones that I recommended...I just have a feeling! 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:41 pm

Yes...I think you will like the ones that I recommended...I just have a feeling! 8)

One of my philosophies is that if a friend likes it, it can't be bad. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:45 pm

Oh wait, I do own one of their songs and just never paid it much mind until now.

There's this old-a*s school KTel tape of 1979/'80 songs (it's called Rock '80) I have, that has "Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio". But it's on the opposite side of the songs I usually copy off it ("Cruel To Be Kind" in particular). It'll take me about 20 minutes to listen - I don't want to fast forward it since it's kinda old - but I'm playing it towards that spot now, just for fun. I'll let ya know once I've heard it. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:46 pm

One of my philosophies is that if a friend likes it, it can't be bad. ;)

ROCK ON, McFly! ;) 8) ;D

Oh btw....I wanted to mention to you (regarding Back to the Future, etc)...have you ever seen the TV show, "Ghost Whisperer" with Jennifer Love Hewitt?  Well, I just found out that the set they used for BTTF movies, is now being used as the set for that TV show....I thought that was really cool, and I have been meaning to tell you that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:46 pm

Oh wait, I do own one of their songs and just never paid it much mind until now.

There's this old-a*s school KTel tape of 1979/'80 songs (it's called Rock '80) I have, that has "Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio". But it's on the opposite side of the songs I usually copy off it ("Cruel To Be Kind" in particular). It'll take me about 20 minutes to listen - I don't want to fast forward it since it's kinda old - but I'm playing it towards that spot now, just for fun. I'll let ya know once I've heard it. :)

that's a good one!  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 10:47 pm

ROCK ON, McFly! ;) 8) ;D

Oh btw....I wanted to mention to you (regarding Back to the Future, etc)...have you ever seen the TV show, "Ghost Whisperer" with Jennifer Love Hewitt?  Well, I just found out that the set they used for BTTF movies, is now being used as the set for that TV show....I thought that was really cool, and I have been meaning to tell you that.

:)

Heard of the show, never seen an episode no, but that's cool. The Courthouse Square set is the backlot of Universal Studios, so it's actually been in tons of other movies. It was used in Bruce Almighty, which I thought was cool, since I liked that one as well.

Written By: Midas on 03/01/07 at 11:02 pm

My most recent ex-girlfriend also got me into some cool music, to the likes of VAST, Placebo and more stuff by Kosheen. :)

My ex-wife got me into Law & Order and some good southern foods.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 11:04 pm

Well, I'm listening to it right now. It's definitely interesting and catchy - you were right. It's like a hybrid of old-time surf rock and the early new wavish rock sound that was prevalent before MTV took off, in the 1979-'81 period.

Ironically, I was kinda misled on how they sounded. I had this image of them as this hardcore (but successful and well-known) punk band, but they're really a pop/hard rock/new wave band with some punk undertones.

Love the DJ intro and outro's too.

I guess I can sum it up with this guy

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 11:06 pm

Well, I'm listening to it right now. It's definitely interesting and catchy - you were right. It's like a hybrid of old-time surf rock and the early new wavish rock sound that was prevalent before MTV took off, in the 1979-'81 period.

Ironically, I was kinda misled on how they sounded. I had this image of them as this hardcore (but successful and well-known) punk band, but they're really a pop/hard rock/new wave band with some punk undertones.

Love the DJ intro and outro's too.

I guess I can sum it up with this guy

Yes...a lot of people have a misconception of their music, simply because they are classified as "punk"....but not all of their songs are "hard", infact, most of them aren't like that.  BTW, I like your new avatar! ;) 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 11:13 pm

Yes...a lot of people have a misconception of their music, simply because they are classified as "punk"....but not all of their songs are "hard", infact, most of them aren't like that.  BTW, I like your new avatar! ;) 8)

Thanks. :) You know how I often invariably mention VH1 in the early '90s when I watched it all the time? Well, that's what the logo looked like then.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 11:20 pm

Thanks. :) You know how I often invariably mention VH1 in the early '90s when I watched it all the time? Well, that's what the logo looked like then.

Yes, I like it...it's very simple..yet gets the point across. :)

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/07 at 11:23 pm

My most recent ex-girlfriend also got me into some cool music, to the likes of VAST, Placebo and more stuff by Kosheen. :)

My ex-wife got me into Law & Order and some good southern foods.

^ got me into some wicked mixes and made me realize how completely badass Depeche Mode is.

The one before him got me into classic rock and helped me to lose weight.

Written By: Gis on 03/02/07 at 1:21 am

I can't really think of anything really bad or really good! I have to say thought the last bloke I was slightly obssessed with inadvertantly introduced me to Ian and the rest was history so I would say that's a very good thing.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/07 at 11:22 am

What my ex taught me? Well, he didn't know it but he taught me what to look for (or NOT to look for) in men (all those little subtle things that really tell what kind of a person they are). He also taught me not to settle for the first man that came my way.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 03/02/07 at 1:56 pm

mine got me addicted to Level 42.

another one owes me 300 bucks.

you take the good with the bad.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/07 at 2:32 pm

One took me to New York.

One taught me how to play rummy.

One took me hiking and introduced me to some of the most beautiful places on earth.

One made me stronger.

I'm not bitter toward any of my exes.  They all taught me something, and made my life better for having them in it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/02/07 at 2:53 pm

I haven't had many ex's, which I suppose is okay. But, the one that really knew me best prior to the one I'm in now, was my last relationship.
He taught me a lot of things that he probably will never know about. He taught me how to appreciate music and movies far past our own generations, he taught me how to be even more giving than I already was, and he taught me more patience. He took me to some really cool places back East and I'll have fond memories of those places.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/11/07 at 9:39 pm

I haven't had many ex's, which I suppose is okay. But, the one that really knew me best prior to the one I'm in now, was my last relationship.
He taught me a lot of things that he probably will never know about. He taught me how to appreciate music and movies far past our own generations, he taught me how to be even more giving than I already was, and he taught me more patience. He took me to some really cool places back East and I'll have fond memories of those places.

That's beautiful and actually pretty similar to my own experiences. Like I said, I don't have too many ex's either (I've only had three true "girlfriends" before, and they all started out as friends anyway).

BTW, just wondered if anyone has anything else to add - whom might've stopped looking after I threadjacked? Erin just said something valid and relevant about classic music, and I ran with it. ;) Then before you know it, it devolved into a discussion about '80s songs, Ramones and VH1 logos.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/12/07 at 7:42 am

It's been so long, I can't really remember ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/12/07 at 8:07 am

After all the anger,sadness,bitterness went away i can give props to the the men i loved for:
-Improving my english skills
-Helping me get over my technophobia
-Making me love sex
-Opening my art horizons
-Saving my life(long boring story that i won't get into)
-Proving that love,even it doesn't last,is always wonderful
-Making me realise how special i really am

But no way i'm telling them any of this,bunch of bastards ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...