inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sleep Injuries

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 8:25 am

Ok, I'm wondering if I'm the only one weird enough to have this or if there are others.

Does anybody else regularly injure themselves whilst asleep?

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, but a week ago when I woke up with blood all over my face after busting my nose, I went to the Doctor and asked him what the deal was.

He said that the most likely cause is that unlike most people.. my motor functions don't actually turn off properly when I'm asleep, meaning my hands, feet, head etc will go wherever they want.

Now, the really interesting thing is, this only ever happens when I sleep alone.
When I've been in relationships and sleeping with somebody else, it hasn't happened, which leads me to believe it could be because there's so much space in the bed for me to move around in and I'm actually aware of this even when I'm asleep??

Regardless -

Some of things I've done to myself include:
Busting my nose.
Opening a gash above my eyebrow.
Bruiseing my face up something rotten.
Bruiseing my hand to the point where an inch square was black.
Numerous cuts and scrapes on my face.
Straining a back muscle.
Breaking the footboard whilst asleep.
Opening up a gash on the right hand side of my left wrist that's left a remarkably large scar for the size of wound it was.

This isn't normal is it!

Does anybody else ever do anything like this?

Subject: Re: Sleep Injuries

Written By: Tia on 03/06/07 at 8:44 am

i get cuts on the head sometimes. and i think i have RLS.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 8:49 am

i get cuts on the head sometimes. and i think i have RLS.

Right, that's got a lot to do with Motor Functions not quite working properly yeah?

Written By: karen on 03/06/07 at 8:52 am

The only person I've known do this is my son.  I think it's when he gets hot, he sort of sits up in bed and then flops himself forward out of the quilt.  SOmetimes he headbutts the wall or the side of the bed.  

Written By: Jessica on 03/06/07 at 8:53 am

Jason flails and sleepwalks and stands up in his bed while asleep. No doubt he'll do stuff like that when he's older.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 8:54 am

The only person I've known do this is my son.  I think it's when he gets hot, he sort of sits up in bed and then flops himself forward out of the quilt.  SOmetimes he headbutts the wall or the side of the bed. 

Right. I think I do a lot of that.. but it still dosen't explain why I only do it when I'm alone.

I moved the bedside table away (cus I know I hit that a few times) but that didn't help. I think I do it with my fists a lot of the time.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/06/07 at 8:54 am

Never.  Once I'm asleep I don't move. 

Written By: karen on 03/06/07 at 8:56 am

Right. I think I do a lot of that.. but it still dosen't explain why I only do it when I'm alone.

I moved the bedside table away (cus I know I hit that a few times) but that didn't help. I think I do it with my fists a lot of the time.

So you should put something in the bed to fill up the space.  A huge pillow or one of the Real Dolls.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 8:58 am

So you should put something in the bed to fill up the space.  A huge pillow or one of the Real Dolls.

Hahaha, those Japanese things with the one arm!

That's a good idea.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.. I was starting to think I was a bit weird. even weirder.

Written By: Tia on 03/06/07 at 9:03 am

Right, that's got a lot to do with Motor Functions not quite working properly yeah?
i think it has to do with having messed up dreams about lightning bolts striking my bathroom, the dead walking the earth, and nuclear war.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 9:04 am

i think it has to do with having messed up dreams about lightning bolts striking my bathroom, the dead walking the earth, and nuclear war.

Yeah, let's not talk about dreams right now.

You remember me over christmas. Dude.. I had to go to freakin hospital my body was that worn down from lack of sleep.

Written By: karen on 03/06/07 at 9:08 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.. I was starting to think I was a bit weird. even weirder.

Except that the only other examples here are of young children doing it 'cept Tia

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 9:10 am

Except that the only other examples here are of young children doing it 'cept Tia

Well.... let's be fair, me and Mike kind of got to 14 and just stopped.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/06/07 at 9:23 am

Jason flails and sleepwalks and stands up in his bed while asleep. No doubt he'll do stuff like that when he's older.

He must have watched at least one Chuck Norris movie because he roundhouse kicks me in his sleep :P

Written By: Tia on 03/06/07 at 9:26 am

Well.... let's be fair, me and Mike kind of got to 14 and just stopped.
when i was 14 i was all serious and brooding. so really it's more like i'm going backward.

Written By: Jessica on 03/06/07 at 9:26 am

when i was 14 i was all serious and brooding. so really it's more like i'm going backward.

You were................EMO? :o

Written By: Tia on 03/06/07 at 9:28 am

You were................EMO? :o
the technical term is "preemo."

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 10:18 am

I often wake up with cuts and scrapes on my legs, and i have no friggin' idea how they get there :-\\
It's quite a mystery :o

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/07 at 10:56 am

He must have watched at least one Chuck Norris movie because he roundhouse kicks me in his sleep :P

I think that's Jess.

Isn't that a pre-requisite?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/06/07 at 12:04 pm

Sometimes I have been elbowed (or I did the elbowing). What I do sometimes, I think I mentioned before that I have exzema in my ears and I wake up to discover that I have been clawing at them (and believe you me, I have the claws  :o )

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/06/07 at 12:09 pm

Never.  Once I'm asleep I don't move. 

That goes for me too Lorac.The only thing that could happen is a back crack.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/06/07 at 2:44 pm

Only one time.  It was at school.....the mattress in my dorm room had this sharp piece of plastic jutting out a little bit, and when I was rolling over, the back of my leg ran up against it and cut my leg from ankle to right below my knee.  I had blood everywhere.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/06/07 at 2:56 pm

I often wake up with cuts and scrapes on my legs, and i have no friggin' idea how they get there :-\\
It's quite a mystery :o

I say it's time to cut those toenails.  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/06/07 at 3:57 pm

I've never injured myself, but I've been known to injure others ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/06/07 at 5:14 pm

I dream like there's no tomorrow and i guess i'm pretty active in my dreams because i move so much that i felt from the bed a number of times,i got bruises all over,i'm thinking i may get rid of my bed and just put the mattress on the floor :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/07 at 8:09 pm

Ok, I'm wondering if I'm the only one weird enough to have this or if there are others.

Does anybody else regularly injure themselves whilst asleep?

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, but a week ago when I woke up with blood all over my face after busting my nose, I went to the Doctor and asked him what the deal was.

He said that the most likely cause is that unlike most people.. my motor functions don't actually turn off properly when I'm asleep, meaning my hands, feet, head etc will go wherever they want.

Now, the really interesting thing is, this only ever happens when I sleep alone.
When I've been in relationships and sleeping with somebody else, it hasn't happened, which leads me to believe it could be because there's so much space in the bed for me to move around in and I'm actually aware of this even when I'm asleep??

Regardless -

Some of things I've done to myself include:
Busting my nose.
Opening a gash above my eyebrow.
Bruiseing my face up something rotten.
Bruiseing my hand to the point where an inch square was black.
Numerous cuts and scrapes on my face.
Straining a back muscle.
Breaking the footboard whilst asleep.
Opening up a gash on the right hand side of my left wrist that's left a remarkably large scar for the size of wound it was.

This isn't normal is it!

Does anybody else ever do anything like this?
dude, that's a severe behavioral disorder. So it sounds as if the only way to prevent you from hurting yourself is if some sweet thing is in bed with you, you're cured?  no sleep injuries?  wow, that's awesome. what a story. "Man must have bedtime playmate, or risks injury to himself
Lady Di used to complain that I'd elbow her in the face or body at night while I was sleeping, but I don't injure myself.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/07 at 12:02 am

Not sure if this technically counts. But since I tend to be a deep sleeper and have a hard time waking up/getting moving, I used to literally roll out of bed (of course, it was only a couple feet off the ground, but still it sorta hurt to do it). ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/09/07 at 1:59 pm

My husband says I hit him in the head almost every night.  I say he must have deserved it.

Written By: Tia on 03/09/07 at 2:04 pm

okay, not really a sleep "injury," per se, but...

once in college i was having this really bizarre nightmare that i was at a funeral for the antichrist, right? and i had to keep pacing back and forth next to the coffin swinging one of those funky religious incense thingies, you know the thing i mean, and reciting this incantation at the top of my lungs, or else the antichrist was gonna come back to life and take over the world. so i'm dreaming and dreaming and having to do this incantation and finally i wake myself cuz in real life i'm actually going

"bwoooaahahhaarrhhhhhhgggghhhhaaaaaagghghhhhhAHGHASHGHHHHHHHHRRRHHGHHGSHGHSHGHSHGHHHEGHHGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......."

makign this totally bizarre groaning, wailing banshee noise that sounds like an alien language or something. kicker is, i was on the top bunk with a roommate under me in the bottom bunk, and right when i wake up he wakes up too, with this total terrified shriek. "augh! oh my GOD! help!"

all i could do was kinda lean over and go, um, sorry, dude.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/09/07 at 2:05 pm

once in college i was having this really bizarre nightmare that i was at a funeral for the antichrist, right? and i had to keep pacing back and forth next to the coffin swinging one of those funky religious incense thingies, you know the thing i mean, and reciting this incantation at the top of my lungs, or else the antichrist was gonna come back to life and take over the world. so i'm dreaming and dreaming and having to do this incantation and finally i wake myself cuz in real life i'm actually going

"bwoooaahahhaarrhhhhhhgggghhhhaaaaaagghghhhhhAHGHASHGHHHHHHHHRRRHHGHHGSHGHSHGHSHGHHHEGHHGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......."

makign this totally bizarre groaning, wailing banshee noise that sounds like an alien language or something. kicker is, i was on the top bunk with a roommate under me in the bottom bunk, and right when i wake up he wakes up too, with this total terrified shriek. "augh! oh my GOD! help!"

That's funny.  I don't know if you meant it to be funny...but it's funny.

Written By: Tia on 03/09/07 at 2:06 pm

i thought it was hilarious. the dream was actually quite freaky but when my roommate made that funny shriek it made everything okay.

Written By: La Roche on 03/09/07 at 2:34 pm

Thing is.. I can totally picture you doing this.

Of course, last time I saw you asleep, you were surrounded with cuddly toys and I was hitting you with your own shoe because we were being kicked out.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/07 at 4:28 pm

My husband says I hit him in the head almost every night.  I say he must have deserved it.

Was it cause of a dream? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...