inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you let physical traits hinder you in anyway?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/07 at 1:06 am

For example:

If you are overweight.....does that keep you from wearing things like bathing suits, or sleeveless shirts in the summer?

If you have large ears...does that keep you from getting your hair cut short, thus showing off your ears?

If you have a birthmark on your leg...does that keep you from not wearing shorts?

etc.....

Subject: Re: Do you let physical traits hinder you in anyway?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/17/07 at 2:08 am

I used to let my weight make me self consious to a point.  But I figure if my body is too hideous to look at then you don't have to look.  ;D

Also since I don't feel like I look like either of my parents, I always (jokingly) claimed I was either switched at birth or they brought me back from the moon (I was born about a week after the moon landing)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/17/07 at 2:22 am

For example:

If you are overweight.....does that keep you from wearing things like bathing suits, or sleeveless shirts in the summer?

No.  I mean, I don't wear a bikini to the pool (I'm not stupid), but I do have a tankini, which covers my stomach up.  And I have cute tank tops I like to wear too.  I don't wear super-tight clothes and I don't show off any body part , so I don't think I attract any undue attention.

Written By: Abix on 03/17/07 at 2:33 am

I try to hide the belly.. and the thighs. My most self conscious areas. In summer time I wear skorts (skirts with shorts built in) alot. They are more flattering on me because with shorts.. when ya have thighs like mine.. well the damn things ride right up..  and get that creasey look that is exclusive to fat ladies like me in shorts.
I'll wear tank suits , (long gone are the days of bikinis for me).  and I don't like sleeveless tops. but I will wear camisole type tank tops.. with spaghetti straps.. they are more flattering on me I think. On the positive side.. I love lingerie!! and have an absolute fetish for it.. Nothing sleazy.. just pretty chemises, or nighties.. and matching bra /panty sets.. Who says big can't be sexy??

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/17/07 at 9:21 am

I hate my arms, no matter what I do, exercise wise, they jiggle...not as bad as my mother's use to but they jiggle.  So, I don't wear tank tops or sleeveless shirts (in public). 

When I wear a bathing suit it's a one-piece and when I'm not swimming I wear shorts to cover up. 

I never wear white shoes because I have BIG feet and white shoes make them look like boats.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 7:00 am

There's never been a one particular "standout" that it consists of, but yeah I can be this way sometimes (usually with occasional little stuff, as opposed to one big thing).

I kinda am one of those people who values/worries about what other people think of me. So for better or worse, I care about my appearance. It's more in subtle ways of, say combing/styling my hair (although it's pretty easy now since I've got a buzzcut ;D) or wanting to wear just the right clothes when I go out. I don't obsess over it as much as when I was younger, but I still sorta want people to think I'm "cool" or to like me - I'm guessing this is where the root of stuff like this comes from for most people as well.

Written By: Jessica on 03/18/07 at 11:05 am

I don't wear anything sleeveless or spaghetti strapped. I have (what I lovingly call) "batwings". Nothing I can do about them because it's just excess skin, but I don't really want to show them off, either. :P

I don't do bathing suits or bikinis OR tankinis. I've never felt comfortable in those things, so I just don't wear them. And it's only once in awhile that you'll catch me in a skirt or shorts. I also don't do tight clothes, belly shirts, or low riding jeans. That would be gross on my body. :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/18/07 at 11:16 am

I'm short and small but regularly match up with much larger opponents when playing sports.  Doesn't mean I don't get destroyed, but every now and then I score a block or a crushing hit...then I hide behind larger teammates so I don't get my ass kicked :D :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/18/07 at 12:15 pm

and I don't like sleeveless tops.

Neither do I.  I look awful in tank-tops.  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/18/07 at 12:17 pm

When I wear a bathing suit it's a one-piece and when I'm not swimming I wear shorts to cover up. 

You sound just like me.  ;)

Written By: spaceace on 03/18/07 at 12:21 pm

My dark eyes, I hate having my picture taken. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 12:34 pm

I don't wear anything sleeveless or spaghetti strapped. I have (what I lovingly call) "batwings". Nothing I can do about them because it's just excess skin, but I don't really want to show them off, either. :P

I don't do bathing suits or bikinis OR tankinis. I've never felt comfortable in those things, so I just don't wear them. And it's only once in awhile that you'll catch me in a skirt or shorts. I also don't do tight clothes, belly shirts, or low riding jeans. That would be gross on my body. :D

I'm the same way Jess....I hate my arms. Even when I lost a bunch of weight...I still had bigger arms....that has always been my worst trait about myself.  I don't do sleeveless....ever, unless it's to sleep in. I usually wear shirts that have 3/4 sleeves, even in the summertime.  I do wear shorts....even though I hate my legs...but it gets too hot not too sometimes.  The last time I wore a bathing suit was last summer...but I hurried up and got in my aunt & uncles pool, and when I got out...I had a nice big beach towel to wrap around me. I hate that so much...that's why I want to lose weight...because next summer I think we are going back to the beach...and I wanna feel good enough to wear a bathing suit, darnit! ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/18/07 at 1:53 pm

I comb my hair from like the 1950's with a lot of gel and hairspray but I don't let that bother me at all.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/18/07 at 8:48 pm

I comb my hair from like the 1950's with a lot of gel and hairspray but I don't let that bother me at all.

I don't know if that's quite what Erin was talking about. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 8:53 pm

I'm the same way Jess....I hate my arms. Even when I lost a bunch of weight...I still had bigger arms....that has always been my worst trait about myself.  I don't do sleeveless....ever, unless it's to sleep in. I usually wear shirts that have 3/4 sleeves, even in the summertime.  I do wear shorts....even though I hate my legs...but it gets too hot not too sometimes.  The last time I wore a bathing suit was last summer...but I hurried up and got in my aunt & uncles pool, and when I got out...I had a nice big beach towel to wrap around me. I hate that so much...that's why I want to lose weight...because next summer I think we are going back to the beach...and I wanna feel good enough to wear a bathing suit, darnit! ;)

I can relate to that - like even if I'm at the beach I don't really like being shirtless. I'm in decent enough shape, but it's just not my thing. I usually go right for the towels too, lol. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:16 pm

I can relate to that - like even if I'm at the beach I don't really like being shirtless. I'm in decent enough shape, but it's just not my thing. I usually go right for the towels too, lol. ;)

Do you live right near the ocean? Do you go there a lot?

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/07 at 9:27 pm

I'm not exactly slim jim, so in the winter time, I wear hockey jerseys, and in the summertime, I used to wear a thick coat, but I would sweat buckets in the heat, so I nixed the coat

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 9:30 pm

Do you live right near the ocean? Do you go there a lot?

Yeah, usually at least a couple times during the Summer (usually just with friends, for instance). I'd say Santa Cruz is 22-25 miles away, so pretty close in general.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:30 pm

I'm not exactly slim jim, so in the winter time, I wear hockey jerseys, and in the summertime, I used to wear a thick coat, but I would sweat buckets in the heat, so I nixed the coat

a thick coat in the summer! Yowzers! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:30 pm

Yeah, usually at least a couple times during the Summer (usually just with friends, for instance). I'd say Santa Cruz is 22-25 miles away, so pretty close in general.

oh, you are so lucky...I would LOVE to be near the beach!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 9:32 pm

oh, you are so lucky...I would LOVE to be near the beach!

It's cool, I don't always utilize it that much even (as opposed to alot of people around here who pretty much go every weekend and stuff). Plus I'm jealous of my Florida relatives who get the warmer Atlantic beaches.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:35 pm

It's cool, I don't always utilize it that much even (as opposed to alot of people around here who pretty much go every weekend and stuff). Plus I'm jealous of my Florida relatives who get the warmer Atlantic beaches.

I've never been to Florida...but I've been to S. Carolina....it's just great!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 9:39 pm

^Yeah, it's pretty much the same up there from the secondhand knowledge I have. The closest I've been to the Carolina's was in some part of Georgia on the car trip I mentioned (when my parents and I made the trip from Florida to the Bay Area when I was 4 1/2 in 1986).

I guess you'd be a few hundred miles away from the closest Ocean (probably New York or Atlantic City, just going off geography off the top of my head).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:43 pm

^Yeah, it's pretty much the same up there from the secondhand knowledge I have. The closest I've been to the Carolina's was in some part of Georgia on the car trip I mentioned (when my parents and I made the trip from Florida to the Bay Area when I was 4 1/2 in 1986).

I guess you'd be a few hundred miles away from the closest Ocean (probably New York or Atlantic City, just going off geography off the top of my head).

Ya, it sucks not being close to the ocean...I mean, I wouldn't have to literally live right on it...but I would love to only have a take a very short drive to get to it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 9:46 pm

Ya, it sucks not being close to the ocean...I mean, I wouldn't have to literally live right on it...but I would love to only have a take a very short drive to get to it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Probably within, say 50-75 miles would be good enough for me. Are there any, say lakes with little minibeaches or something in your area (even if it's not quite the same thing)?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/07 at 9:51 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. Probably within, say 50-75 miles would be good enough for me. Are there any, say lakes with little minibeaches or something in your area (even if it's not quite the same thing)?

We like to go to Lake Erie....it's so nice up there...it reminds me a lot of the ocean. The beaches are really nice, and there's a lot of outdoor things to do there.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/18/07 at 10:43 pm

- My legs are like a forest, yet I wear shorts & jandels almost constantly for 5 months a year. I ain't shaving 'em, nor am I gonna stop wearing shorts just 'cause you don't like lookin' at 'em!

- I'm in decent shape, not overweight, not overly skinny. So that's never been a problem.

I dunno, maybe males (stereotypically speaking) tend to worry less about their own physical appearance or traits. I'm like that. I've gone months without a haircut, or weeks without a shave and no one cares. As long as I shower daily, and put on clean clothing every 2 days, it's all good.  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/18/07 at 10:44 pm

- My legs are like a forest, yet I wear shorts & jandels almost constantly for 5 months a year. I ain't shaving 'em, nor am I gonna stop wearing shorts just 'cause you don't like lookin' at 'em!

I doubt Robin Williams cares either :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 11:16 pm

I doubt Robin Williams cares either :)

;D

I dunno, maybe males (stereotypically speaking) tend to worry less about their own physical appearance or traits. I'm like that. I've gone months without a haircut, or weeks without a shave and no one cares. As long as I shower daily, and put on clean clothing every 2 days, it's all good.  :P

Overall, that's probably true. I guess that's where you and I would be different - I probably am more concerned about appearances than the average guy. I've even been casually teased by friends that I'm "worse than a girl" (although probably somewhat true). :D

I'd never fault a woman for spending hours on makeup or anything, for this reason. Since I was maybe 11 or 12, I'd always want to look as good as possible (especially, say at school, or anyplace I might've run into cute girls, for instance, lol). I also can't stand any facial hair - both in terms of appearance, and that it irritates the hell outta me anyway. ;D

Although I can identify with the more casual "ah who cares" attitude. That definitely does make it easier and less of a hassle.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/19/07 at 1:53 am

;D

Overall, that's probably true. I guess that's where you and I would be different - I probably am more concerned about appearances than the average guy. I've even been casually teased by friends that I'm "worse than a girl" (although probably somewhat true). :D

I'd never fault a woman for spending hours on makeup or anything, for this reason. Since I was maybe 11 or 12, I'd always want to look as good as possible (especially, say at school, or anyplace I might've run into cute girls, for instance, lol). I also can't stand any facial hair - both in terms of appearance, and that it irritates the hell outta me anyway. ;D

Although I can identify with the more casual "ah who cares" attitude. That definitely does make it easier and less of a hassle.
I may change and care more about my physical appearance as time progresses. Like if I get a decent job after I've finished my degree, I'll need to have a tidier appearance than what I have now as a full-time student who works at a lame fast-food joint. And a messy looking 21 year old is more acceptable than a, say, 26 year old, or 31 year old.

Written By: Gis on 03/19/07 at 4:33 am

I guess the main physical trait that hinders me these days is my age!  ;D I don't wear really short skirts anymore for fear of looking like 'mutton'.
I wouldn't be seen dead in public in a bikini just because I'm paranoid really.

The arm thing Jessica describes is called 'bingo wings' in the U.K.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 6:08 am

I don't know if that's quite what Erin was talking about. 

Then what is she talking about?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/19/07 at 7:28 am

About the only thing I don't wear is a bikini or anything that shows my stomach because of stretch marks and sagging skin (losing 40 lbs too quickly :-\\)  My arms are a little bigger than I'd like, but I still wear sleeveless shirts, etc.  I also make sure my shorts are not too short because of my thighs, but I think I'm getting a bit old to be wearing "Daisy Dukes" anyway ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/19/07 at 7:49 am

I never go anywhere without a paper bag over my head!  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/19/07 at 8:21 am

Then what is she talking about?
If you have a trait that you're NOT happy with that prevents you from doing something else.  Now, if your hair prevented you from going out in public, that's what she's talking about.

Written By: Southern Image on 03/19/07 at 9:16 am

I hate my arms, so I will NEVER wear a tank top :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/19/07 at 1:24 pm

This thread is such a kick!

I have to give everyone who's posted on here credit, because you are demonstrating a point I have said for a while, now.

To a certain degree, my feet, ankles & legs prohibit me from doing things...not from my own chocie, but because of my birth condition, and the umpteen surgeries I've had as a result.
(Example- I applied for "The Amazing Race", and was turned down, due to my feet & ankles.)

Most people see me, and generally think I am a portly fellow (the less-kind call me a lard-@$$).
This is because I have a larger stomach, heavy jowls, and big arms (22 inches aorund).
That being said, it is not all fat.

My stomach is largely due to being stretched out again, after 1 1/2 yrs. of starvation, and the aftermath following it.
I also studied Sumo, for 2 1/2 yrs. My build & skeletal frame are ideal for this.
I used to be extremely self-conscious about what I wore, especially shoes.
I had to wear corrective shoes, in my early childhood.
Sometimes, I had to wear my shoes on the wrong feet, to get the wear patterns even.
The School Board in Nevada never bothered to look @ my file, as even the Principal made fun of my shoes.

If only I knew then what I know now.......

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/07 at 1:43 pm

I also have a thing about my arms-I prefer long sleeves-even though in the summer I usually wear tee shirts. I try to avoid sleeveless shirts/dresses-but sometimes that just can't be helped. As much as I hate to show my arms, I hate showing my armpits even worse.  :P

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/19/07 at 1:46 pm

I also have a thing about my arms-I prefer long sleeves-even though in the summer I usually wear tee shirts. I try to avoid sleeveless shirts/dresses-but sometimes that just can't be helped. As much as I hate to show my arms, I hate showing my armpits even worse.  :P

Cat

But if you don't have access to your 'pits, you can't make interesting and mysterious-yet-rude noises that can easily be blamed on the family pet.

Written By: Jessica on 03/19/07 at 3:23 pm

The arm thing Jessica describes is called 'bingo wings' in the U.K.

LOL! ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/19/07 at 3:45 pm

You know? Maybe it's because where i came from everybody is close to naked all the time and we're just more at ease with our bodies,but i never had that kind of hung up about what to wear.
In fact the more skin i show the more confortable i feel,i'm not one to wear skimpy outfits,mainly 'cause i find it tacky, but if i could i would live at the beach and only wear a bikini and havaianas all day :)

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 4:15 pm

If you have a trait that you're NOT happy with that prevents you from doing something else.  Now, if your hair prevented you from going out in public, that's what she's talking about.

I would guess wearing shorts in public so I don't do that anymore,I wear pants cause I don't have the sexiest of legs.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/19/07 at 4:50 pm

I don't mind most of my parts. But, lately my thighs and stomach don't look all that great due to some weight I've packed on (about 10 lbs). Hopefully I can get toned and back in shape by summertime so I can survive the waterslides.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 4:51 pm

I don't mind most of my parts. But, lately my thighs and stomach don't look all that great due to some weight I've packed on (about 10 lbs). Hopefully I can get toned and back in shape by summertime so I can survive the waterslides.

So how would you look in a bikini?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/19/07 at 4:52 pm

I would imagine she'd be Hot Stuff in a Bikini :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/19/07 at 4:53 pm

Tact much, Howard?

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 4:55 pm

Tact much, Howard?

Sorry I asked.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/19/07 at 4:56 pm

Besides, I'm sure to us Kristen would look great.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 4:56 pm

I don't look sexy in a bathing suit. :(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/19/07 at 5:10 pm

^ hehe, you guys are funny!  ;D

Well, let's just say they way my tummy's lookin', there's no way I'm gonna wear a full bikini. I would wear one that is more like a tank and boy shorts.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/07 at 7:33 pm

But if you don't have access to your 'pits, you can't make interesting and mysterious-yet-rude noises that can easily be blamed on the family pet.

Even if I did have access to my 'pits, I STILL can't make interesting and mysterious-yet rude noises.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 03/19/07 at 7:41 pm

I've got this nasty spider vein on the back of my left leg.  Haven't worn shorts in two years. :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/19/07 at 8:09 pm

Hot Stuff- I understand that most women are concerned about their tummies. It's a legitimate concern, particularly if you've had children.

Howard- I don't either. I would get paid to put it back on.

Cat- I can't either. We have something in common.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/19/07 at 8:26 pm

Hot Stuff- I understand that most women are concerned about their tummies. It's a legitimate concern, particularly if you've had children.

Thanks, it's hard to keep the abs toned. Before a few years ago, I had no problem with that, but with a change of hormones, I've easily packed on pounds and have almost doubled my appetite. I just can't eat a lot now without paying the consequences  :(  :\'(  >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/19/07 at 10:36 pm

I would love to be able to wear a bikini...or at least a tankini.....man, I've never been able to wear one. :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/19/07 at 10:41 pm

I'd wear a bikini, but I'm way too flat :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/19/07 at 10:47 pm

I'd wear a bikini, but I'm way too flat :(

hahaah...your butt or your boobs? ;D :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/19/07 at 10:47 pm

hahaah...your butt or your boobs? ;D :D

My butt is to die for.

Unfortunately, I have no boobage :(

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/19/07 at 10:53 pm

I would love to be able to wear a bikini...or at least a tankini.....man, I've never been able to wear one. :-\\

Neither have I!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/19/07 at 10:54 pm

Neither have I!

awww...but you'd look cute! ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/19/07 at 10:55 pm

Neither have I!

How would you bikini wax your metal crotch?  That'd be weird.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/20/07 at 2:31 am

Sure I'm self-conscious about what I look like in a bathing suit, hence why I have a tankini and the bottoms are boy-shorts, but I'm at the pool to go swimming and I won't let some dumbasses keep me from having fun.  I even got a nice tan this past summer from sitting by the pool all day.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 6:40 am

I think I have all this hair on my back,chest and butt.Wearing a sexy bathing suit is the least of my worries. ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 8:00 am

I actually found a few suits last summer that had bottoms like men's swimming trunks (but a little shorter).  Being at the lake and on wave runners all day, I was more comfortable in shorts than regular swimsuit bottoms.....wet thighs and vinyl/pleather seats do not make a good mix :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 8:43 am

Sure I'm self-conscious about what I look like in a bathing suit, hence why I have a tankini and the bottoms are boy-shorts, but I'm at the pool to go swimming and I won't let some dumbasses keep me from having fun.  I even got a nice tan this past summer from sitting by the pool all day.

karma for not letting others get in your way of having fun...I wish I could be more like that! ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/20/07 at 8:48 am

Even when I was at my smallest (size 8 many, many years ago) I still couldn't wear a bikini.  I guess I just felt too naked!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 8:49 am

Even when I was at my smallest (size 8 many, many years ago) I still couldn't wear a bikini.  I guess I just felt too naked!

I know what you mean....like for instance...if I would lose a bunch of weight now...I probably couldn't wear one and feel comfortable....having not ever being able to wear one.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 9:48 am

Same here!

My thoughts exactly. 

This is going to sound weird, but the thing I hate most on my body is my calves.  I inherited my dad's body type, and he's built like a bull.  I have HUGE calf muscles...they look like a man's.  I've always been totally self-concious about them. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 11:25 am

Same here!

My thoughts exactly. 

This is going to sound weird, but the thing I hate most on my body is my calves.  I inherited my dad's body type, and he's built like a bull.  I have HUGE calf muscles...they look like a man's.  I've always been totally self-concious about them. 
Hubby used to say I had "chicken legs".....all thigh ;D

I've never really been big on the bikini, either.....especially now with my stomach skin.  It doesn't look that bad when I'm standing up, but when I sit or bend, it just looks nasty so I skip it altogether.  These days, I usually wear a tankini because I have a really long torso and 1 pieces are usually too "short" to not "ride up". ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 11:31 am

Hubby used to say I had "chicken legs".....all thigh ;D

I've never really been big on the bikini, either.....especially now with my stomach skin.  It doesn't look that bad when I'm standing up, but when I sit or bend, it just looks nasty so I skip it altogether.  These days, I usually wear a tankini because I have a really long torso and 1 pieces are usually too "short" to not "ride up". ;)

I like the tankini too.  I have one that is a halter top with regular swim suit bottoms, but it has a matching skirt thing that goes over the bottoms.  It's really cute and best of all it's quite flattering!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 11:34 am

I like the tankini too.  I have one that is a halter top with regular swim suit bottoms, but it has a matching skirt thing that goes over the bottoms.  It's really cute and best of all it's quite flattering!
I have one of those as well.....well, not the halter because they don't fit well due to the placement of certain "attributes" ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 11:42 am

I have one of those as well.....well, not the halter because they don't fit well due to the placement of certain "attributes" ;D

I sewed underwires into mine.  Worked like a charm.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 11:47 am

Forgive my ignorance (sorry if this is a stupid question ;D ), but what's a tankini?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 11:48 am

I sewed underwires into mine.  Worked like a charm.  :)
It's not really a support issue, it's where they "are" in proportion to my neck :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 11:51 am

Forgive my ignorance (sorry if this is a stupid question ;D ), but what's a tankini?

It's a two piece swimsuit that has a tank top instead of a regular bikini top.  Does that make sense?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 11:52 am

It's a two piece swimsuit that has a tank top instead of a regular bikini top.  Does that make sense?

I think so. :) It's more like a shirt, right (I guess I just never heard the term before)?

Written By: karen on 03/20/07 at 12:10 pm

I found a picture

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 12:18 pm

I found a picture

I don't mind a girl wearing a tankini just as long as she's been using Nair.I just don't want to see a Chia pet growing over there. :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 12:21 pm

I don't mind a girl wearing a tankini just as long as she's been using Nair.I just don't want to see a Chia pet growing over there. :P

;D  Oh Howard...you kill me sometimes!! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/07 at 12:22 pm

In my younger days I ALWAYS wore bikinis and I remember thinking that I could never imagine myself NOT wearing them. I think it was when I hit the BIG 3-0 that I started wearing one pieces. Now, I can't imagine myself wearing bikinis (even though I think I could still get away with wearing one). My mother on the other hand used to wear a bikini well into her 60s-and she didn't let her weight stop her. You could bearly see the bottoms because of her stomach.  :P  She finally went to a one piece.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 12:23 pm

;D  Oh Howard...you kill me sometimes!! 

Well,What do you think? Does your boyfriend/husband find it attractive to have a Chia Pet growing over there? ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:24 pm

Well,What do you think? Does your boyfriend/husband find it attractive to have a Chia Pet growing over there? ::)

oh stop it Howard. ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 12:25 pm

oh stop it Howard. ::)

Ok,Erin,I'm sorry let's move on,this is nonsense. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:32 pm

I just really admire you girls who don't let others hinder you from having fun in the summertime....I wish I could be more like that.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 12:37 pm

I just really admire you girls who don't let others hinder you from having fun in the summertime....I wish I could be more like that.

You can silly!  Why should you let what someone else may or may not think dictate what you do?  When I'm out and about and I see a person with a less than perfect body, I don't think anything of it.  I don't care what other people look like, and I don't think other people really care what I look like.  And if they do care, they can bite me.  Just get out there and have a good time!!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 12:41 pm

You can silly!  Why should you let what someone else may or may not think dictate what you do?  When I'm out and about and I see a person with a less than perfect body, I don't think anything of it.  I don't care what other people look like, and I don't think other people really care what I look like.  And if they do care, they can bite me.  Just get out there and have a good time!!
I've started to care less the older I've gotten.  I figure if people don't like it, that's THEIR problem.  I think I look pretty good for someone who's had 3 kids 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:41 pm

you have a great attitude regarding all of this...but I just can't seem to get to that point.  I think maybe if I only had one part of my body that I was unhappy with, it wouldn't be that bad...but I'm just not happy with any of it. :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/20/07 at 12:43 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 12:45 pm

you have a great attitude regarding all of this...but I just can't seem to get to that point.  I think maybe if I only had one part of my body that I was unhappy with, it wouldn't be that bad...but I'm just not happy with any of it. :-\\

"If I could give you one gift, it would be the ability to see yourself the way that other people see you.  Then you would know how beautiful you really are." 

I don't know who originally said that, but I think it's very fitting!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:46 pm

"If I could give you one gift, it would be the ability to see yourself the way that other people see you.  Then you would know how beautiful you really are." 

I don't know who originally said that, but I think it's very fitting!

that's so sweet of you, Ash! :-*  I just wish that I could get past those bad feelings about my self-image.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 12:48 pm

that's so sweet of you, Ash! :-*  I just wish that I could get past those bad feelings about my self-image.
The best way to get over it is to just do it.  After a few times, you realize that others are not looking at you as much as you think.  AND, they're probably just as self-conscious as you are :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 12:51 pm

The best way to get over it is to just do it.  After a few times, you realize that others are not looking at you as much as you think.  AND, they're probably just as self-conscious as you are :)

Yes!  Plus, you'll be too busy having fun to worry about what people think!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:51 pm

yes, that's true.  I mean, it's not like I am the only overweight person at the pool or beach. I am very surprised at how many people are overweight and just don't give a flying fudge what they look like in a bathing suit. I made an attempt to look this past summer when I was at the beach...and then again when I was at a public pool....and honestly, the majority were either slightly overweight, or pretty heavy....they definitely outweighed (no pun intended ;)) the thin people that were there.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/20/07 at 12:52 pm

Erin, let me just say this...the only reason I know you're not skinny is becuase you've said so.  Every photo I've seen of you, you look pretty.  I have never once thought you were fat, really.  You've got great hair and a beautiful face.  Those are the things I notice about you, not how my you weigh.

And more than anything you are one of the nicest people I know. :)

OK, that's it.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:01 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

I'm sorry did I offend you?  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:05 pm

Erin, let me just say this...the only reason I know you're not skinny is becuase you've said so.  Every photo I've seen of you, you look pretty.  I have never once thought you were fat, really.  You've got great hair and a beautiful face.  Those are the things I notice about you, not how my you weigh.

OK, that's it.

aww...I "heart" you, Carol!! :-*  Well, I've never really posted a full body pose (the only one that I did post that showed my full body, was the one of me from the late 90s...but that's when I had lost a bunch of weight).  I mean...I'm no circus freak or anything....but I definitely got some "back". LOLOL!! ;D :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 1:10 pm

OK, that's it.

QFT - I've said this before, but you did it better than I ever could. :)

I really think people are hard on their own appearance sometimes 'cause they're looking at it through their own eyes rather than someone else's. And there of course, are ways in which we would rather come off to others. But that doesn't mean someone else won't like it just because we don't.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:11 pm

aww...I "heart" you, Carol!! :-*  Well, I've never really posted a full body pose (the only one that I did post that showed my full body, was the one of me from the late 90s...but that's when I had lost a bunch of weight).  I mean...I'm no circus freak or anything....but I definitely got some "back". LOLOL!! ;D :D

It doesn't matter what you look like,If you got a body then flaunt it. ;) :-*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:12 pm

you guys are too sweet! :)

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:13 pm

you guys are too sweet! :)

I think you girls put yourselves down way too much!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 1:14 pm

^Guys can do it too, bro (points to self). ;) It's human nature really.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:14 pm

I think you girls put yourselves down way too much!

I think so too Howard....although it's hard not to sometimes...whenever all the media shoves down your throat are undernourished celebrities. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/20/07 at 1:15 pm

I think so too Howard....although it's hard not to sometimes...whenever all the media shoves down your throat are undernourished celebrities. ::)

Sticks suck.  I like meat!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:16 pm

Sticks suck.  I like meat!

karma for that! Men that like meat vs sticks...are cool in my book! 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 1:20 pm

But the majority of them are basically overrated and not that great looking anyway, especially compared to lots of other people. That's just some people's perception of what's attractive. Heck if I were a girl, I wouldn't even want to look like Paris or the 1998 Calista Flockhart, lol.

You're alot cuter than most of them, and I really mean that.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:21 pm

Have you tried getting a part in The Dove commercial?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:22 pm

But the majority of them are basically overrated and not that great looking anyway, especially compared to lots of other people. That's just some people's perception of what's attractive. Heck if I were a girl, I wouldn't even want to look like Paris or the 1998 Calista Flockhart, lol.

You're alot cuter than most of them, and I really mean that.

aww thanks! :-*

You are right though..I would never want to be THAT thin....to me, that's really gross (and just as bad as someone being grossly overweight).  I would never want to get extremely thin....I just want to get to the point that I can feel comfortable....you know who has a perfect body, IMO...Rachael Ray. She's kind of plump, in all the right places.....and to me, her body is near perfect. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:23 pm

Have you tried getting a part in The Dove commercial?

the Dove commercial? why, Howard? ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:25 pm

the Dove commercial? why, Howard? ;D

It's a commercial that says beauty is on the inside.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:36 pm

It's a commercial that says beauty is on the inside.

oh okay...I see. :D

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:37 pm

oh okay...I see. :D

They're not models in the commercial,they're just every day women you see on the street.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:38 pm

They're not models in the commercial,they're just every day women you see on the street.

yes, I know which one you are talking about now. It's nice to see everyday, ordinary people sometimes, isn't it?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/07 at 1:39 pm

yes, I know which one you are talking about now. It's nice to see everyday, ordinary people sometimes, isn't it?

Yeah,Me too.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 1:43 pm

aww thanks! :-*

You are right though..I would never want to be THAT thin....to me, that's really gross (and just as bad as someone being grossly overweight).  I would never want to get extremely thin....I just want to get to the point that I can feel comfortable....you know who has a perfect body, IMO...Rachael Ray. She's kind of plump, in all the right places.....and to me, her body is near perfect. ;)

Yeah, she's good-looking too, from what I can recall. I guess the whole "super thin/stripper type" obsession is just even more pervasive now in the materalistic '00s. But I know where you're coming from in terms of being critical over your own body, I can be this way too (and I'm sure most of us have been at one point or another).

To use another example, I always dug DJ from Full House towards the end. She had some "babyfat" and I thought she was a cutie as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:44 pm

Yeah, she's good-looking too, from what I can recall. I guess the whole "super thin/stripper type" obsession is just even more pervasive now in the materalistic '00s. But I know where you're coming from in terms of being critical over your own body, I can be this way too (and I'm sure most of us have been at one point or another).

To use another example, I always dug DJ from Full House towards the end. She had some "babyfat" and I thought she was a cutie as well.

Yes, she's really cute. She's lost that babyfat now though...and that's even after having 3 children!! :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/20/07 at 1:47 pm

Yes, she's really cute. She's lost that babyfat now though...and that's even after having 3 children!! :o

Rachael Ray should adopt me.  I <3 food.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:48 pm

Rachael Ray should adopt me.  I <3 food.

I just love her! She didn't even have any formal training...her mama taught her everything she needed to know about cooking!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 1:50 pm

Yeah, what's amazing is Candace Cameron looks no older now than the 18-year old DJ of 1995. I think clean living also helps (i.e. not taking drugs or alcohol or otherwise having a "hard" life). She seems so nice from the bits I've seen, too.

I bet she'll only look 45 when she's 70. I could see you being like that as well.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/20/07 at 2:30 pm

Hear ye, hear ye!

I must agree with Rice & Marty.
Women who resemble Twiggy are repulsive, disgusting, and generally have NO curves to them.

A woman MUST have some mass to her, in order to have that shape we love so much.

-Having grown up in a family where Rubenesque was the norm concerning females, this is what I have found attracts me.
My own lovely wife, Melissa, once claimed she "has more curves than allowed by law".
She is very high-hipped, with prominent hipbones, and a dupa that smacks J-Lo's by the wayside!

Women with no meat to them tend to remind me of walking lumber.
Slender is fine, as long as you have some form of CURVE in your verve!
Women with no curves are like.....Richard Simmons.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/20/07 at 3:24 pm

I wish you could send some "back" my way.  I ain't got none.  It's wide but flat.  ;D

All I'm trying to say is that you're way too hard on yourself.  If people are going to judge you becuase you're skinny or fat then they're not the kind of people you need in your life.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/20/07 at 5:18 pm

Karma for the Carol!

Erin, I concur.

I mean, if we were both single, and we happened to be in the same place, I would SOOOOOOO be acknowledging your natural beauty.

You really are a sweetie, encased by natural beauty.
I am honored to have youas a friend.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 10:24 pm

^aww...thanks Wayne, you are making me blush!! You guys are so sweet.....the only thing I can say to that is....

*breaks into heartfelt song* ..."Did I ever tell you you're my hero.......you are the wind beneath my wings" :D

No, in all honesty...I really appreciate you guys, you always know what to say to make me smile! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...