inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Problems Buying Clothing

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/07 at 1:48 pm

I get very frustrated when I decide to go buy some clothing for myself because of a few things:

1. Finding something that fits right. I am on the short side and it seems like the manufacturers think that all women are at least 6 feet tall (and flat chested). This means finding jeans that are the right length, or dresses that don't hit the floor. And if I do find something that it is the right length or size then it leads to problem #2.

2. Style. I am kind of picky about the style of clothes that I like. I prefer solid colors but a lot of the stuff that I find that actually fit are using prints or some god-awful color. And if I do find myself something that I really like, it usually leads back to problem #1.

I have the same problem with shoes because I have very tiny feet (size 6).

What are some of the problems you have with buying clothing?

Cat

Subject: Re: Problems Buying Clothing

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 1:49 pm

UGH...I am the same way.  I am short (only about 5'3"), and stout....so jeans are always a problem for me too.  The pantlegs are always way too long, and sometimes they don't sit right on my thighs.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 1:52 pm

I used to wear a lot of suits to work (my current job is more casual) and I had such a hard time with them.  My pant size is like two sizes smaller than my jacket size, so if I couldn't mix them I would have big pants and a top that fit, or a too small top with pants that fit.  Thankfully there are some stores that let you buy them separately.

Written By: spaceace on 03/20/07 at 1:54 pm

I have problems buying shoes.  For some weird reason I have extra bones in my feet.  So if I try a pair of shoes on in the store and they "fit", they end up killing my feet later.  Yes, I have orthodics but you can't wear them with pumps or sandal. :P

Written By: Marian on 03/20/07 at 2:05 pm

I get very frustrated when I decide to go buy some clothing for myself because of a few things:

1. Finding something that fits right. I am on the short side and it seems like the manufacturers think that all women are at least 6 feet tall (and flat chested). This means finding jeans that are the right length, or dresses that don't hit the floor. And if I do find something that it is the right length or size then it leads to problem #2.

2. Style. I am kind of picky about the style of clothes that I like. I prefer solid colors but a lot of the stuff that I find that actually fit are using prints or some god-awful color. And if I do find myself something that I really like, it usually leads back to problem #1.

I have the same problem with shoes because I have very tiny feet (size 6).

What are some of the problems you have with buying clothing?

Cat
Size 6 isn't that tiny.My feet are really,if i remember right,a 5 1/2 EEEEEEE,but I usually wear anything from a 6 to a 7 depending on the style(they break in)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 2:06 pm

Size 6 isn't that tiny.My feet are really,if i remember right,a 5 1/2 EEEEEEE,but I usually wear anything from a 6 to a 7 depending on the style(they break in)

What does EEEEEEE mean?

Written By: Marian on 03/20/07 at 2:15 pm

What does EEEEEEE mean?
It's width.There's AAAAAA to EEEEEEE.

Written By: Jessica on 03/20/07 at 2:15 pm

My issue is that a lot of stores STILL think that heavier women want to dress like old ladies or wear MuuMuus. So they break out the ugly floral and pastel shiznit with polyester. Ugh.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 2:17 pm

My issue is that a lot of stores STILL think that heavier women want to dress like old ladies or wear MuuMuus. So they break out the ugly floral and pastel shiznit with polyester. Ugh.

Or there's the requisite t-shirt with a wolf painted on it.   ;D

It's width.There's AAAAAA to EEEEEEE.

Oh.  I didn't know that's how they were named.  Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/07 at 2:18 pm

I have the opposite problem because my feet are A's-and rarely can I find A's-I usually have to settle for B's-and sometimes those are too wide.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 03/20/07 at 2:19 pm

Oh.  I didn't know that's how they were named.  Thanks.

Oh lord, I know. ;D

Thank heavens for Lane Bryant, Torrid, and Fashion Bug. I have found numerous cute and sexy outfits at these stores. Unfortunately, they like to charge you for the extra material it takes to make the clothes are something. Major expensive.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 2:23 pm

Oh lord, I know. ;D

Thank heavens for Lane Bryant, Torrid, and Fashion Bug. I have found numerous cute and sexy outfits at these stores. Unfortunately, they like to charge you for the extra material it takes to make the clothes are something. Major expensive.

I know!  And I am cheap.  I'll only buy sale items at those stores.

This reminded me of this for some reason.

Why?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/07 at 2:33 pm

"Josef Stalin, grab onto my armored muumuu, and together we will leave this foul earth behind!"

;D  Funny!

I must have missed that...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/20/07 at 2:43 pm

Ladies-

There are some of us men who also have trouble buying clothing.

For me, there are 4 main problems I encounter:

1. Shoes. My feet are 10 EEE. Most shoes are created for men with "snow ski" feet- long and narrow.
I can't do that. My shoes must usually be specially ordered. I have been a faithful Doc Marten's wearer for over 10 yrs. now, because that is really all I can wear, anymore.

2. Arms. The vast majority of shirts and suit jackets are made for men with smaller biceps.
My arms measure 22 inches around, and there's only an inch of fat. Even when I find shirts that fit in all other ways, the arms are always too damn tight. Same with blazers. In fact, I have been known to rip out the arms of some of my T-shirts, just by doing things like lifting or pushing things.

3. Stomach. Unfortunately, the ol' "Sumo belt" stops me from buying a lot of things, because that is the part of me that protrudes the most. It also tends to stretch the fabrics strangely when I am seated.

4. Quality. I have learned to distinguish quality, over the course of this last year. I find it hard to find good things that are NOT polyester, or poly-blend. I am trying to lean more towards cotton, silk, and linens. I have actually found many good buys at stores such as Ross, Kohl's, and T.J. Maxx.
Surprisingly enough, the labels have been pretty high-rate stuff. The best example of this is my prized Armani Exchange shirt that I have. I got it for $40, when the tag compared it for $125.

So, you see, gentle ladies, men can suffer some of the same burdens.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/20/07 at 2:48 pm

I don't really have a problem buying clothes....I mean, there's a couple of stores I shop faithfully at and they always have a ton of really cute stuff in my size.  I also get some stuff at other stores like Old Navy and Hot Topic.  The place I buy jeans at, has petite, average and tall....so no matter where your height falls, you can find a pair. 

As for shoes....I'm a size 9, so I can always find those.  I love DSW, Nine West, Steve Madden and Macy's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/07 at 3:08 pm

So, you see, gentle ladies, men can suffer some of the same burdens.

I know they can. However, most men (well, the ones I have known) don't really care in terms of buying clothes. Mostly what they care about is if it fits-and who cares about style. One time Carlos was buying a pair of shoes. He had one pair he tried on and they fit and he was going to buy them until I said, "Um, Honey, those are REALLY UGLY". A woman was passing by when I said that and she started laughing. Needless to say, he put them back and got another pair that wasn't so ugly.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/20/07 at 3:15 pm

OK, I'm short 5'4 1/2 ".  You would think petite sizes would fit me but no, they're too short and regular is way too long. 

I have a difficult time finding bras to fit.  I need a 38 because I have a broad back, companies automatically assume if you need a 38 you need a C or D cup...I wish I needed a C or a D cup. 

Don't get me started on shoes...I hate shoes, I'd go barefoot all the time and as soon as I get home the shoes come off. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/20/07 at 3:21 pm

I'm shorter than you Carol, but I never buy petite sized jeans.  I always buy the average because I hate jeans that don't cover my feet.  I mean, I don't want to see the heel of my shoe because the jeans are too short.  A few washes and wears later, and the jeans are the right length for me.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/07 at 3:26 pm

I'm tall and I don't usually have a problem finding my size...

The thing I hate is the style of jeans/denim shorts that are out now...you know, those ones that look like they're gonna fall off your hips!  :o

I like the traditional high-waisted pants/shorts and so for that reason I haven't bought any new ones in a while... :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 3:34 pm

Ladies-

There are some of us men who also have trouble buying clothing.

For me, there are 4 main problems I encounter:

1. Shoes. My feet are 10 EEE. Most shoes are created for men with "snow ski" feet- long and narrow.
I can't do that. My shoes must usually be specially ordered. I have been a faithful Doc Marten's wearer for over 10 yrs. now, because that is really all I can wear, anymore.

Hubby also has really wide feet.....Dockers and New Balance also make shoes in Wide (which I think is a EEE) so you could try those (I think Docker's also has a 2W)

I usually have a problem with jeans being too short unless they're "tall".  I have a 33" inseam and most "regular" sizes are only 30-31".  I also HATE shopping for shoes.  Like spaceace, I have extra bone in my feet, but it's right on the joint of the big toe so it looks like a bunion.  I also have super-sensitive skin on my feet that breaks out in the summer if the leather is not soft enough (or if it doesn't "breathe").  To top it all off, they're not only thin width-wise, they're also thin height-wise so most "slides" or "mules" or the really cute strappy sandals go flying off my feet when I try to walk.  Needless to say, I have a hard time finding shoes/sandals :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/20/07 at 3:43 pm

I love low-rise jeans.  I can't wear high-waisted pants.....they are way too damn uncomfortable and unsightly looking on me. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/20/07 at 3:47 pm

I love low-rise jeans.  I can't wear high-waisted pants.....they are way too damn uncomfortable and unsightly looking on me. 
Same here.  I have no waist so the high-waisted ones sit on my ribs (yes, I'm proportioned in an ungodly way :-\\)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/07 at 3:56 pm

Same here.  I have no waist so the high-waisted ones sit on my ribs (yes, I'm proportioned in an ungodly way :-\\)

I can't do those low-rise jeans at all!  :P

Written By: spaceace on 03/20/07 at 4:00 pm

Me neither.  I end up constantly trying to pull them up.  Don't even get me started about bending over in those things. :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/20/07 at 5:02 pm

If the jeans are balck or gray, then I'm OK with it, albeit begrudgingly.

If anyone ever wants to see me in blue jeans, they will club & hog-tie me.
The day I wear a pair of blue jeans will be the day Larry The Cable Guy gets elected President.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/07 at 5:07 pm

I hate shopping for clothes.  I am tall and size 16 so everything is black, grey, or brown, and I want colors. The slacks are to short, dresses to long, blouses too ugly.  I am going to have to hit the lottery and have my own seamstress.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 10:30 pm

OMG....I know!! I hate that!  I love Lane Bryant...but they are so damn expensive..I always go to the sale racks! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 10:32 pm

hahaha...that made me laugh SOOO hard!!! :D ;D  It's true though....they think that just because someone is fat...that they wanna wear a shirt that draws very negative attention.....I hate that!

I like to wear lower cut V-neck shirts...because my neckline isn't too bad...and since I have put on weight...I have also become a lot more endowed in the boobage dept! :D ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/20/07 at 11:22 pm

I only have trouble with size. Hard to find a part of pants with short enough legs, or small enough waist. Pants that are correct length feel too tight in the crotch & waist area, & pants that fit perfect in the crotch & waist are miles too long.

And 3/4 length pants = full length on me.  ::)

Written By: karen on 03/21/07 at 8:44 am

I have a difficult time finding bras to fit.  I need a 38 because I have a broad back, companies automatically assume if you need a 38 you need a C or D cup...I wish I needed a C or a D cup.   

I have the same problem.

I don't like them either.

I am fairly tall (5' 8) but not tall enough for the tall clothes here.  I often buy trousers that are long enough in the shop but shrink over a few washes till i'm showing a bit of ankle  ::)
I have big feet (UK 8 - 8 1/2) and struggle to find nice shoes that fit well.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/21/07 at 9:18 am

I have the same problem.

I was lucky to find one brand that fits well but unless they're on sale they cost $30!! 

Written By: Southern Image on 03/21/07 at 9:36 am

I have a hard time with bathing suits and shoes. Being a size 9 1/2 in shoes now  >:( There isn't much to choose from. The worst part is by the time I find something cute, it looks like Bozo the clown is wearing them. The one piece bathing suits never fully pul up to my chest. By the time I wrangle the sucker on, I look like a hunchback. I'm big chested with a long torso. They make these suits for short torso and small boobs. I had to have a custom made suit now for a few years. ::)

Written By: Gis on 03/21/07 at 12:36 pm

I have the same bra problem as Karen and Carol and the same one piece bathing costume problem as southern image! I am long bodied and small busted!
I am tall and used to have a problem getting trousers to fit length wise, now a lot of our stores do 3 or 4 different leg lengths which is fab. My favourite store does short, regular, long in all of it's ranges, now why can't they all do that?? 
I have a high waist so my problem is the length from waistband to crotch, either cripplingly painful or you get a delightful camels hoof crotch!
Shoes are fine because I have pretty small feet which is kind of weird I guess seeing as I am tall.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/21/07 at 2:53 pm

I have a high waist so my problem is the length from waistband to crotch, either cripplingly painful or you get a delightful camels hoof crotch!

I know what you mean!

Written By: Howard on 03/21/07 at 4:32 pm

trying to find the right size.

Written By: gemini on 03/21/07 at 4:40 pm

I don't mind the low rise jeans, but then I have to try to find a longer shirt to cover them so my stomach isn't showing, or when I bend over, my butt doesn't hang out! 

Written By: spaceace on 03/21/07 at 4:42 pm

I don't mind the low rise jeans, but then I have to try to find a longer shirt to cover them so my stomach isn't showing, or when I bend over, my butt doesn't hang out! 

Yeah, I've gotta have the long shirt too and a belt.

Check for new replies or respond here...