inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More men taking wives' last names

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/22/07 at 11:28 am

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-20-names-marriage_N.htm?csp=1

Never knew it was that hard for a man to change his last name (surname) at the time of marriage. 

My wife, while loving her family name, looked forward to an easier to spell last name.  Little did she know an English name is still impossible for most Americans to spell properly, even when you spell it for them.

I still think hyphenated last names are a bit silly looking.  Why not just pick a new name entirely. What happens when two people with hyphenated last names get married?  yikes.

Subject: Re: More men taking wives' last names

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/22/07 at 11:35 am

I like the story of the 2 hosts of the podcast Filmspotting where the guy who took part of his wifes name is asked to turn in his "man card" The listener asked what "sissy juice" the host was drinking  ;D    personally, I don't think it's a big deal. my wife's maiden name is cool, I'd have no problem adding it as my middle name. I would not hyphenate it.  It would then be similar to Ben Fong Torres of Rolling Stone mag.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/22/07 at 12:20 pm

I chose to have a hypenated last name....because of a few reasons. I wanted to keep my family's namesake....and also, with my side business, I have always used my maiden name....so it was just easier this way.

We actually considered Chris taking my last name (only because he isn't too fond of his last name)....but I chose to partially take his. :D

Written By: Marian on 03/22/07 at 12:25 pm

What's wrong with it? :o ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/07 at 12:37 pm

When my two step-daughters got married, they and their husband's picked new names for themselves-she not taking his name or visa-versa. However, when my oldest step-daughter got a divorce, she kept the new name but her ex went back to his "maiden"  :-\\ name. She is remarried and still uses the name she created with her ex as a professional name but uses her husband's name as her "personal" name. My other step-daughter is also divorced, now. She is still using the name they created. I don't know if her ex went back to his "maiden" name or not.

As for hyphenated names, Carlos uses a hyphenated name as his professional name. First his father's name and then his mother's, which is the Spanish way (only he and his sister uses that name). That actually cuts down on confussion since he has the same name as his father and son. But he uses just his father's name for everything else. I took his name (without his hyphenated mother's name) when we got married because I was using my ex's last name that I absolutely HATED-and everyone got wrong anyway. I supposed I should have gone back to my maiden name after my first marriage ended but it is such a hassle to change your name and I figured that I would have probably changed it again anyway (which I did).

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/22/07 at 12:43 pm

My last name is hyphenated.  I wanted to keep the name I was given as well as take the name of my husband.  I really don't see anything wrong if a man wants to take his wife's name. 

Written By: Howard on 03/22/07 at 2:18 pm

Robin Starr? That might work.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/22/07 at 4:40 pm

My last name is too long and too ethnic....I wouldn't burden my poor husband with having to take it.  I also won't hyphenate either.  I'd either keep my name as is or take his name.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/23/07 at 3:00 pm

John Lennon did that, becomming John Winston Ono Lennon.  For a short time he tried to get people to call him "John Ono", but that did not last very long.

Check for new replies or respond here...