inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What birthyear do you feel most like, based on tastes, etc?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/07 at 10:36 am

Ages are merely numbers, but I always felt like maybe a 1974er or '75er at heart. This would be an ultimate '80s kid who was around (in a teen sense) for the old-school world of NES games, VCRs, audio tapes, playing Pac Man and Ninja Turtles at the arcade and all, but young enough to move beyond it.

I sorta grew up fast in some senses. When it comes to music or attention to details, I could've almost been like an "honorary" 15-year old when I was 8, lol. When I watch The Goonies, I could've seen that as me, or alot of kids in late '80s movies. People around this age kinda "grew into" the '90s, and are still young enough for the 2000s, but still remaining loyal to the '80s.

P.S. I had some older friends as a kid, so that might give me some cred too. ;)

Subject: Re: What birthyear do you feel most like, based on tastes, etc?

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/07 at 12:04 pm

I kinda always wished I was born earlier than I was, but not too early though.  I loved the 80s and was still able to enjoy it

Realistically though, I'd give anything to NOT be born on the same day that the dreadful 'You Light Up My Life' by Debby Boone was the #1 song ;D

Written By: Tia on 04/02/07 at 12:07 pm

i would have liked to have been around for the sexual revolution and all the great music of the late 60s, early 70s. i feel like i got into music just in time for disco, and sex just in time for AIDS. :(

so i guess that would have put my ideal birth age at 1955ish.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/02/07 at 12:27 pm

i would have liked to have been around for the sexual revolution and all the great music of the late 60s, early 70s. i feel like i got into music just in time for disco, and sex just in time for AIDS. :(

so i guess that would have put my ideal birth age at 1955ish.

Same here!  I would have loved to live in San Francisco during the heyday of Haight and Ashbury or to have been at Woodstock.  My mom used to always say I was born during the wrong generation, and it's true. 

Written By: tv on 04/02/07 at 12:50 pm

I thought about this for a second and I would have to say 1966 or 1969 would have been real birthdate so I could have enjoyed the 80's pop culture more than again If I was born in 1966 or 1969 I would have probably hated the 90' pop culture since I was born in 1979 since I was a teen in the 90's and liked 90's pop culture.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/07 at 6:59 pm

I thought about this for a second and I would have to say 1966 or 1969 would have been real birthdate so I could have enjoyed the 80's pop culture more than again If I was born in 1966 or 1969 I would have probably hated the 90' pop culture since I was born in 1979 since I was a teen in the 90's and liked 90's pop culture.

Yeah, you were around for them, but you're really an '80s kid like me pretty much.

1966 is sort of the "elder" Brat Pack crowd, that could've been fun. You're right, though, many deep-hearted Generation Xers despise the '90s. I was actually going to choose one of those years before I remembered Hey, I want to like the '90s too, lol.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/02/07 at 8:21 pm

I think I was born at the right time. I was able to see The Who, Black Sabbath, Kiss, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd,
Genesis, and too many others to name here, at the height of their careers. If anything, I could have been
born a few years earlier to experience The Nice, Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and such but that would have
put me at draft age for Viet Nam, so I'm happy to stand pat.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/07 at 8:30 pm

1931.  I would have made a great beatnik with a loft on Bleecker Street, maybe hanging out at "Happenings" with Yoko Ono, David Tudor, and Allen Ginsberg!
:P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 8:35 pm

I'm fine with the year I was born in.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/02/07 at 8:39 pm

I'm pretty much a typical 1987er, just old enough to have been part of the 90s and young enough to enjoy this decade, so I have a love for both.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/03/07 at 7:30 am

I'm fine with the year I was born in.

Me Too Beth,I was born in 1974.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 10:22 pm

I'm happy with my birthyear, though if I had another it would be ~ 1953. I would have been in my teens when all the great music was at its peak, and still been less than 40 when grunge came out, which I hope wouldn't be too late to appreciate it, though suffering through disco and dying 20+ years earlier than I will would really suck!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/07 at 10:37 pm

I'm happy with my birthyear, though if I had another it would be ~ 1953. I would have been in my teens when all the great music was at its peak, and still been less than 40 when grunge came out, which I hope wouldn't be too late to appreciate it, though suffering through disco and dying 20+ years earlier than I will would really suck!

I hadn't thought of the dying earlier thing, or being that much older now. That would blow. ;D

Actually, on your other point....I agree that your 40s is a time you can still kinda enjoy current things - although some certainly no longer do. People may scoff at the idea, but it's more common than it would seem. My dad even likes quite a bit of '80s music and was born in 1938! My mom, a mid-boomer probably held on even more with radio songs, until just a few years ago even.

I know there were quite a few older grunge fans in the '90s, probably fans of classic rock whom found its raw, stripped down heavy sound more appealing than, say hair metal.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/07 at 11:14 pm

I'm definitely NOT happy with the time period I was born in....I wish I could have been born anytime before 1970....it would have been neat to grow up in different decades and see how it was to live then.

Written By: audkal on 04/03/07 at 11:37 pm

I'm pretty much a typical 1987er, just old enough to have been part of the 90s and young enough to enjoy this decade, so I have a love for both.  :)

Though I'm a 1989er, I can pretty much relate to everything you just said.....I still credit a lot of my 90s obsessions (with Sega, Power Rangers, etc.) to my brothers though.  (An '81er, '84er, and '87er).  They sort of taught me which stuff was cool at the time.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...