inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could build your own home!

Written By: loki 13 on 04/05/07 at 6:37 pm

I was reading a story about LeBron James. In 2003 he bought a house for $2.1 million. Two years later,
he knocked it down to rebuild it to his own specifications. This had me thinking, What would my house look like?

If you had unlimited resources, What kind of home would you build? Where would you build it?

My Home: South Jersey Area

I would build a house away from the public eye but not to far from civilization. The main house would be modest in size.
A Cathedral ceiling in the foyer is a must. I would only have 4 bedrooms not including the master bedroom. The master
bedroom would have a full bath and a changing room. It would also have a fireplace, a jacuzzi, HDTV, and a Bose Sound
System. My wife would decorate the whole house, probably American Indian theme, except the gameroom; That one is mine.

The gameroom:
I would decorate the gameroom in Japanese antiquities. Fans, swords, furniture, vases and shadow boxes all from
13th or 14th century Japan. The room will also have HDTV and Bose. I will have an English Dartboard, don't know
how I'll fit it in with Japanese decor but I'll figure something out. it will also have my prize, a 4X8 Pool Table with
red Simonis Cloth, Belgian Balls and a rack of Mcdermott cues.

I would also have about an acre or two of land, on which I would build a 2 bedroom guesthouse.

I would have an Olympic size pool, a huge deck with a Cadillac size, stainless steel barbacue grill.

Throughout the whole house I would have heated hardwood floors.

Subject: Re: If you could build your own home!

Written By: spaceace on 04/05/07 at 6:39 pm

Build a home.  Nah, I want this one!!!  Dunvagan Castle.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/07 at 6:45 pm

Well....I wouldn't want to build my own home...because if I had that kind of money....I would much rather purchase a very old home and refinish it.  I am very much about antiques and old things...that would be so awesome.  I would love it to be an old painted lady (victorian)...with neat hidden rooms behind the bookcase in the library, hardwood floors throughout, a circular room with a stained glass window, a very large wooden staircase/banister, a beautiful garden out back, and an inground swimming pool....very classy.

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/05/07 at 7:16 pm

I would want either a rustic lodge type of home in the mountains...I don't mean rustic like with an outhouse & no heat but rather lots of exposed wood beams, big stone fireplace with tall trees and a lake. 

Or

A beach home with tall windows and wrap around porches, views of the turquoise water and lots of plam trees. 

Ahhhh, I can see it now.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/05/07 at 7:26 pm

I was reading a story about LeBron James. In 2003 he bought a house for $2.1 million. Two years later,
he knocked it down to rebuild it to his own specifications. This had me thinking, What would my house look like?

If you had unlimited resources, What kind of home would you build? Where would you build it?

The gameroom: it will also have my prize, a 4X8 Pool Table with
red Simonis Cloth, Belgian Balls and a rack of Mcdermott cues.

i would definitely agree with you here Kevin, my gameroom would be an old style pool hall with a couple of tables and pinball machines and video games.  and i would also have some poker tables for poker nights. I would also have a big workout room with nautilus equip and lots of exercise/weight traing sets.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/05/07 at 8:03 pm

i would definitely agree with you here Kevin, my gameroom would be an old style pool hall with a couple of tables and pinball machines and video games.  and i would also have some poker tables for poker nights. I would also have a big workout room with nautilus equip and lots of exercise/weight traing sets.

Pinball machines are a must, the old style pinball machines with the roll bar numbers; no digital numbers.  ;D

I would probaby have a humidor too.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/05/07 at 8:47 pm

Pinball machines are a must, the old style pinball machines with the roll bar numbers; no digital numbers.  ;D

yeah, the old style pinball machi9nes, 3 games for a quarter. and of course a video room especially for movies, and a regular tv room with 3 or 4 sofas and 3 lazy boy recliners and a huge fireplace

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/05/07 at 9:16 pm

In my dream house.... it's all about the library. Books and books on shelf after shelf. The house would probably be in England somewhere.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/07 at 11:21 pm

Honestly, I would build a home to look like an actual house right out of a Sitcom

I always liked the interior of the sets on Family Ties and Growing Pains, but you never saw the exterior of the Keaton's house, so I'd probably go with the Seavers lol

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/06/07 at 4:04 am

I always liked the interior of the sets on Family Ties and Growing Pains, but you never saw the exterior of the Keaton's house, so I'd probably go with the Seavers lol

Not true. The Keatons place had a kitchen, Alex's room, Mallory's room, a staircase, and a living room, with a fireplace, bad wood panelling, and occasionally, a banner with the epithet: 'Ban The Bomb'.

Right on, brother!
Cigar party at Loki's house! I'll bring the Royal Jamaicans!

In my dream house.... it's all about the library. Books and books on shelf after shelf. The house would probably be in England somewhere.

I agree to some extent about the library.

In my house (see Washoe County's Magrom Mansion), the basement would be equipped with my very own recording studio. There would be a reception area, with a mini-fridge, a couple pinball machines, and comfortable seating. There would also be state-of-the-art equipment, and the best soundproofing available.

Ground floor- Living room, game room, indoor pool, dining room, bathroom, kitchen, and utility/laundry room.

1st floor- 4 bedrooms, library/den, sewing room, 3 bathrooms, and office.

Attic- Small dayroom...Melissa has already claimed it.

My specific rooms would be mainly good wood furnishings & panelling, but my studio would be painted in shimmering smoke-gray.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/07 at 9:24 am

Well....I wouldn't want to build my own home...because if I had that kind of money....I would much rather purchase a very old home and refinish it.  I am very much about antiques and old things...that would be so awesome.  I would love it to be an old painted lady (victorian)...with neat hidden rooms behind the bookcase in the library, hardwood floors throughout, a circular room with a stained glass window, a very large wooden staircase/banister, a beautiful garden out back, and an inground swimming pool....very classy.
There's a local builder that DOES the hidden rooms like that and the interiors of his homes look like Victorian, with tons of wood and the decorative banisters, etc.  It's amazing to see what he does.  I tried to find a link to the article our local paper did on him, but when I clicked on the link on their website, I got the "the page you are requesting is no longer available on this server" :(  If I build another house in our area, he's going to be the one to do it because his designs are beautiful :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 9:28 am

There's a local builder that DOES the hidden rooms like that and the interiors of his homes look like Victorian, with tons of wood and the decorative banisters, etc.  It's amazing to see what he does.  I tried to find a link to the article our local paper did on him, but when I clicked on the link on their website, I got the "the page you are requesting is no longer available on this server" :(  If I build another house in our area, he's going to be the one to do it because his designs are beautiful :)

wow, that sounds really cool!!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/07 at 9:30 am

wow, that sounds really cool!!
It is.  He's doing hidden rooms in many of his spec houses now.  I'd LOVE to have a place where I could hide from everyone ;D  If you want to see some of his work, here's his website.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 9:37 am

It is.  He's doing hidden rooms in many of his spec houses now.  I'd LOVE to have a place where I could hide from everyone ;D  If you want to see some of his work, here's his website.

simply beautiful! I can't even imagine living in such a beautiful house.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/07 at 9:37 am

Oh, and I've built 2 houses so far, but they were each done on a budget.  I probably wouldn't change much from the house I have now, except make some of the rooms a little bigger, add a 3rd car garage stall, and maybe add a 1st floor bedroom suite so my kids wouldn't have to "double up" when company comes.  Oh, and reconfigure the basement so our steps didn't cut it in 1/2.

On the house at the lake, I'd reconfigure the upstairs to add another bathroom & make ours & the kids' rooms bigger.  Oh, and instead of the dammed sliding glass doors, I'd make them actual french doors with screens.

Hubby wants to build another house now, but I don't know if I can do it....3 houses in 8 years is a bit much :P  We may just do an addition to our current house because I love our yard and all of the lots in our area are about 1/2 as big for twice as much $$.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/07 at 9:39 am

simply beautiful! I can't even imagine living in such a beautiful house.
You should see HIS house.  Some of the pics on the website are of his house.  He made his daughter a "castle bedroom" in a turret on his house.  And, to get to the kids' playroom in the basement, he added a tube slide from the landing on the stairs :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 9:39 am

You should see HIS house.  Some of the pics on the website are of his house.  He made his daughter a "castle bedroom" in a turret on his house.  And, to get to the kids' playroom in the basement, he added a tube slide from the landing on the stairs :o

OMG...that is soo awesome! I love unique designs/ideas like that!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/06/07 at 9:45 am

OMG...that is soo awesome! I love unique designs/ideas like that!
In the article, he did what the homeowner called a "prohibition room" which was basically a hidden bar where you pulled a book out of the bookcase and a door slid open.  I think he said he titled the book "Bathtub Gin" or something like that.  So cool 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/07 at 9:46 am

Honestly, the most comfortable place for me would be a middle-upper class suburban "regular" house built in the 1970s or '80s. Even if I did have money for that, I'd probably use it for other things.

P.S. If we're talking about TV shows, of course, the real reason we can't see how they look is because they're really a set. But just based on what we can see of the interior, I wouldn't mind living in the Taylors' Home Improvement house. Or maybe in the Tanners' place. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 9:46 am

In the article, he did what the homeowner called a "prohibition room" which was basically a hidden bar where you pulled a book out of the bookcase and a door slid open.  I think he said he titled the book "Bathtub Gin" or something like that.  So cool 8)

yes, that is very very cool!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/07 at 11:40 am

There was a place on Lake Champlain the Carlos and I used to anchor off of a lot (in the small boat-we can't get in there with the Big Dog because now the weeds are unbelievable). There a point looking out on the lake and we rowed to shore and checked out the point. We both imagined a house on that point with a big bay window looking out on the lake with a fireplace or woodstove that we can watch the fire and the snow fall at the same time. We also imagined the boat would be moored right off the property. My dream house HAS to be at least two stories. I have always loved upstairs/downstairs. Lots of rooms (a couple of spare bedrooms for when the kids come to visit, a library, a few extra rooms for whatever.) and HUGH walk-in closets. The master bath would have a jetted tub for two.  ;) The kitchen would have lots of counter space as well as cabinet space. It will also have a double sink and a dishwasher.

BTW, a few years back we noticed a "For Sale" sign on our dream spot. We called and they wanted half a mil for it.  :o :o :o  So much for our dream. Someone did buy it and they started cutting down the trees that made the spot desireable.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  Haven't been up that way in a few years so I don't know if they built a house or not.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/07 at 11:57 am

Remember in Back to the Future II in the Evil 1985, Biff had a "trick door" behind one of his portraits on the wall? I know that's random, lol, but I couldn't help but think of it when I read this.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 12:05 pm

Remember in Back to the Future II in the Evil 1985, Biff had a "trick door" behind one of his portraits on the wall? I know that's random, lol, but I couldn't help but think of it when I read this.

oh ya...that's cool!

Written By: whitewolf on 04/06/07 at 12:57 pm

If I ever had the money to build my own house, the only things I would insist on having is an indoor pool. good size bedrooms, a guest room, and a games/rec room with a kick-ass poker table. Love the idea of a hidden room  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/07 at 3:56 pm

Right on, brother!
Cigar party at Loki's house! I'll bring the Royal Jamaicans!

I'll go for that, I haven't had a Royal Jamaican in a long time. I don't smoke cigars often but when I do
it's usually an Ashton. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/07 at 3:57 pm

Not true. The Keatons place had a kitchen, Alex's room, Mallory's room, a staircase, and a living room, with a fireplace, bad wood panelling, and occasionally, a banner with the epithet: 'Ban The Bomb'.

I meant the outside of the house.  From what I remember of the show, they never showed what it looked like from the outside.  On Growing Pains, they showed the actual house in the opening theme

Written By: gemini on 04/06/07 at 5:03 pm

I'd love to build something 50ish, with lots of chrome and red and totally decorated 50s style. It would have a huge diner room with a jukebox and look just like the inside of a 50s diner. That would be awesome!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 11:33 pm

I'd love to build something 50ish, with lots of chrome and red and totally decorated 50s style. It would have a huge diner room with a jukebox and look just like the inside of a 50s diner. That would be awesome!  :)

totally swell! :) 8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/12/07 at 10:58 am

Good Lord!  Absolutely gorgeous...

Like Erin, I love the Painted Lady Victorian Homes.  I'd definitely want a little round turret-style room that I could fill with cozy pillows and have it be my "reading" room.  I'd like to have an indoor pool, big kitchen, library with one of those ladders that moves around the room, game room, gym/dance studio and home theatre.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/12/07 at 12:45 pm

I'll go for that, I haven't had a Royal Jamaican in a long time. I don't smoke cigars often but when I do
it's usually an Ashton. ;D

I prefer Royal Jamaicans and White Owls, myself.

Side note on my dream place:
Somewhere in there, I'd also like to have a dojo and a hedge maze.
(I LOVE those things!)

Written By: KKay on 04/12/07 at 1:18 pm

i would have one of those endless pools....like a swimming treadmill.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/12/07 at 1:36 pm

Good Lord!  Absolutely gorgeous...

No kidding.....now I just have to figure out how to pay for it ;D  His son is in my son's cub scout den and he's doing the meeting tonight....they're learning about tools and building a toolbox or something.  When he did the project last year, he made them each a birdhouse "kit" that would rival anything you could buy at the store.  I can't wait to see what he does for tonight

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/07 at 4:07 pm

I always wanted to live on a tugboat, or in a caboose. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/12/07 at 8:05 pm

Why settle for hiding a room behind a portrait when you can hide an entire missile silo beneath a small farmhouse.

Costs less than most NYC condos or SF/LA suburbian cookie-cutter homes, costs next to nothing to heat and cool (because it's all underground), and unlike any of the "trendy" places to live, comes with its own private airstrip.

Written By: spaceace on 04/17/07 at 10:53 pm

I always wanted to live on a tugboat, or in a caboose. 

What about a good old fashioned steamboat? :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/19/07 at 6:39 am

What about a good old fashioned steamboat? :)

GREAT IDEA....Absolute heaven!  That or a canal boat. 

Written By: jackas on 04/21/07 at 8:07 pm

Hubby wants to build another house now, but I don't know if I can do it....3 houses in 8 years is a bit much :P  We may just do an addition to our current house because I love our yard and all of the lots in our area are about 1/2 as big for twice as much $$.

You can do it!  I've lived in 9 different places in the last 8 years.  Hopefully I'll be here for at least four years.

Written By: jackas on 04/21/07 at 8:12 pm

Honestly, the most comfortable place for me would be a middle-upper class suburban "regular" house built in the 1970s or '80s. Even if I did have money for that, I'd probably use it for other things.

I love houses that were built in the 70's.  They seem to have interesting floorplans and big rooms.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/21/07 at 8:21 pm

I want a nice, large, modern cliff-side house with plenty of large windows facing the sea. Anything like that. As long as it's seaside and has windows facing the ocean & no sand-dunes or sea-walls to block my view.

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 6:28 pm

GREAT IDEA....Absolute heaven!  That or a canal boat. 

Sort of a house boat.  I've seen a few of those they look really cool.

Check for new replies or respond here...