inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hiccups!

Written By: Tam on 04/05/07 at 10:21 pm

Was there an old thread about these?

At any rate, my son tends to get hiccups a lot!
His hiccups drive me crazy. They sound like a mouse squeaking!!

I have had him try everything to get rid of them .....
from holding his breath, drinking water from the opposite side of the glass, drinking water upside down, trying to scare the crap out of him...

NOTHING WORKS!

Any ideas or remedies?

Subject: Re: Hiccups!

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/07 at 10:59 pm

Whenever I get the hiccups, I try holding my breath while I think about things that take my mind off the hiccups.  It usually works

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/05/07 at 11:16 pm

Sugar has worked for me before.

Written By: Tam on 04/05/07 at 11:18 pm

I am willing to try anything at this point!
I will give the sugar a go ;)
Thanks

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/06/07 at 11:10 am

When I get hiccups I usually just take really deep breaths and hold it for a couple of seconds and exhale.  After about five inhales/exhales they go away.

Written By: spaceace on 04/06/07 at 11:14 am

Scaring works for me.  I'm not talking about coming up behind me and yelling boo.  I'm talking telling me something to make me frightened.  I know, it's mean but it works.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/07 at 11:22 am

I find drinking warm water very slowly helps. I'm sure most people know that the hiccups are caused by the diaphram muscle having a spasm and to cure them is to settle the muscle. By drinking very slowly, helps the muscle to relax.

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/06/07 at 11:23 am

I find drinking warm water very slowly helps. I'm sure most people know that the hiccups are caused by the diaphram muscle having a spasm and to cure them is to settle the muscle. By drinking very slowly, helps the muscle to relax.

Cat

If that's the case, maybe instead of holding one's breath, they should just just breathe more.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 11:29 am

holding my breath seems to work sometimes.

speaking of hiccups...have you guys seen that girl that has had non-stop hiccups for like years...I guess they went away, but now they are back. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/07 at 11:32 am

Ironically, I don't think I've had hiccups in a long time. Or I'm not remembering. When I do though, I can never get any of those remedial things to work, lol. I just let them kinda go away on their own. ;D

Written By: Gis on 04/06/07 at 2:11 pm

I stand up and breathe in and out very slowly and deeply, again it helps the diaphram settle.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/12/07 at 10:47 am

Once I had the hiccups, and a friend said to me "I'll give you $20 if you hiccup again."  They were gone just like that!  >:( ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...