inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In The 00s needs more new topics...

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/07 at 11:59 am

I know there was some outcry when certain members were creating dozens of new topics every day, but lately it seems like the messageboard has swung the other way, with few new topics getting started.

You may have noticed very few medals getting handed out, almost no new topics have been started in the past month which are notable.

If you read something on a new site or a blog or some site, and want to discuss it, just pick a board that seems relevant and start a topic with a link to it and discuss it.  If we have to, we'll move it to a different board, no big deal.  The mods are getting bored lately anyways.

Subject: Re: In The 00s needs more new topics...

Written By: Apricot on 04/26/07 at 12:02 pm

I know there was some outcry when certain members were creating dozens of new topics every day, but lately it seems like the messageboard has swung the other way, with few new topics getting started.

You may have noticed very few medals getting handed out, almost no new topics have been started in the past month which are notable.

If you read something on a new site or a blog or some site, and want to discuss it, just pick a board that seems relevant and start a topic with a link to it and discuss it.  If we have to, we'll move it to a different board, no big deal.  The mods are getting bored lately anyways.

Yeah, the old threads are okay, but I want something new to discuss... I wish good music discussions could get going that aren't either correcting discographies or praising XTC and The Beatles forever.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/07 at 12:15 pm

Thank you Chucky. And karma to you.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/07 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, the old threads are okay, but I want something new to discuss... I wish good music discussions could get going that aren't either correcting discographies or praising XTC and The Beatles forever.

speaking of XTC, there was a fun little article with Andy Partridge over on Wired today....

>grin<

Written By: Apricot on 04/26/07 at 12:57 pm

speaking of XTC, there was a fun little article with Andy Partridge over on Wired today....

>grin<

What was he doing in Wired?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/07 at 2:20 pm

What was he doing in Wired?

Talking about his new found appreciate for electronic gadgets...

ha! I got you talking about XTC >grin<

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 4:32 pm

I'm not too sure what to start a thread about, the last thing I did(on Tuesday) has gotten no responses. I put it in the board games section. Do you think it would be better in this board? It's called "Apples or Oranges", something kinda silly where you post two things and the next person has to pick one of the two and then post to choices to choose from.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 4:59 pm

I'm not too sure what to start a thread about, the last thing I did(on Tuesday) has gotten no responses. I put it in the board games section. Do you think it would be better in this board? It's called "Apples or Oranges", something kinda silly where you post two things and the next person has to pick one of the two and then post to choices to choose from.

If I am remembering correctly..I think there's a game like that in the game section..I remember participating in a game just like that before.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 5:55 pm

If I am remembering correctly..I think there's a game like that in the game section..I remember participating in a game just like that before.

I didn't see one on the first page, I don't dig through pages of boards to find out if a thread idea has been used before(too much of a hassle).

I wish someone would have pointed that out on the thread after I started it.  :-\\

I'm just unlucky with the threads I start.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 6:36 pm

I didn't see one on the first page, I don't dig through pages of boards to find out if a thread idea has been used before(too much of a hassle).

I wish someone would have pointed that out on the thread after I started it.  :-\\

I'm sorry...I didn't see the thread..or I would have PM'd you about it or something. Don't sweat it Step-chan. ;) :)

Written By: nally on 04/26/07 at 6:38 pm

I'm not too sure what to start a thread about, the last thing I did(on Tuesday) has gotten no responses.

I'm often not sure what to start a thread on either.

the last thing I did(on Tuesday) has gotten no responses. I put it in the board games section. Do you think it would be better in this board? It's called "Apples or Oranges", something kinda silly where you post two things and the next person has to pick one of the two and then post to choices to choose from.

It's just fine over there...but the thing is, we have a thread just like it entitled "Keep On Rollin'".

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 6:39 pm

I'm sorry...I didn't see the thread..or I would have PM'd you about it or something. Don't sweat it Step-chan. ;) :)

I locked the thread for now and will change it into something else, hopefully there are some untapped ideas for that board.

I wasn't too concerned with it, I just thought it wasn't done before. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 6:40 pm

I locked the thread for now and will change it into something else, hopefully there are some untapped ideas for that board.

I wasn't too concerned with it, I just thought it wasn't done before. ;)

it was a good idea, nevertheless. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 6:41 pm

I'm often not sure what to start a thread on either.

It's just fine over there...but the thing is, we have a thread just like it entitled "Keep On Rollin'".

Already informed before hand, locked the thread until I can think of something else to make it into. Hopefully not every idea on that board has been used.

It's part of the reason why I don't start threads very often.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 6:42 pm

it was a good idea, nevertheless. :)

It's the actual title of a thread on gaiaonline(haven't been there in awhile), but it was a music based thread.

Written By: nally on 04/26/07 at 6:44 pm

Already informed before hand, locked the thread until I can think of something else to make it into. Hopefully not every idea on that board has been used.

It's part of the reason why I don't start threads very often.

I hear ya. I'm not much of a thread starter either.

I was gonna post a thread in the 2000's section about Rosie resigning from "The View", but there was a similar thread in there already, asking who should get nixed. I didn't respond to the poll, but I did post a reply in there.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 6:53 pm

I hear ya. I'm not much of a thread starter either.

I was gonna post a thread in the 2000's section about Rosie resigning from "The View", but there was a similar thread in there already, asking who should get nixed. I didn't respond to the poll, but I did post a reply in there.

Fortunetly, I saved my thread links in my PMs, so I don't have to search for it. :)

Written By: nally on 04/26/07 at 6:55 pm

Fortunetly, I saved my thread links in my PMs, so I don't have to search for it. :)

PM's? You can send a PM to yourself?

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/26/07 at 7:00 pm

I'm always afraid I'll feel stupid if no one replies to a thread I've started.   :-[ ???

Written By: nally on 04/26/07 at 7:02 pm

I'm always afraid I'll feel stupid if no one replies to a thread I've started.  :-[ ???

I can relate. I sometimes fear that I'll get no replies at all...or very few before the thread gets buried in dust.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 7:10 pm

PM's? You can send a PM to yourself?

Yes, one way is to change the name of the who you're sending the PM to.(just make sure both fields are filled out)

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 7:13 pm

I don't mind replying to the old topics,It just gives me something to talk about that hasn't been talked about in a year or 2.

Written By: nally on 04/26/07 at 7:32 pm

I don't mind replying to the old topics,It just gives me something to talk about that hasn't been talked about in a year or 2.

My sentiments exactly. :) I like to travel down memory lane.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 7:35 pm

My sentiments exactly. :) I like to travel down memory lane.

So what's wrong with replying to something that hasn't been replied to in years? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 7:36 pm

So what's wrong with replying to something that hasn't been replied to in years? ???

nothings wrong with it Howard...Chucky just would like some new topics circulating the boards as well.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 7:38 pm

nothings wrong with it Howard...Chucky just would like some new topics circulating the boards as well.

Oh Ok,I uderstand.The board has become boring as of late.

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 7:39 pm

I have a lot of ideals.  But most of them were done back in 2001.  Do I redo them?  Being that there are new members? 

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 7:49 pm

I have a lot of ideals.  But most of them were done back in 2001.  Do I redo them?  Being that there are new members? 

Why 6 years ago?

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 7:53 pm

Why 6 years ago?

Smurfs and Bon Jovii.  Answer your question?

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 7:56 pm

Smurfs and Bon Jovii.  Answer your question?

Wow spaceace,It's been that long? :o

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 7:58 pm

Wow spaceace,It's been that long? :o

Yes, but we've got new people that hope to discuss . . . We hope. ???

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 8:00 pm

Yes, but we've got new people that hope to discuss . . . We hope. ???

Maybe the newbies would like to discuss old topics.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 8:01 pm

Maybe the newbies would like to discuss old topics.

one could always bump an old topic, if it's very similiar to what they would want to talk about...if not, they could just create a new one.

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 8:02 pm

one could always bump an old topic, if it's very similiar to what they would want to talk about...if not, they could just create a new one.

Well. of course but how does one decide???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 8:02 pm

Well. of course but how does one decide???

eenie meenie miney moe! :D ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 8:03 pm

I used to bump an old topic most of the time.

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 8:06 pm

eenie meenie miney moe! :D ;D

Tried that . . . didn't work!!!!  Still longing to do the Strawberry Shortcake- Care Bear thread!!!! ???

Written By: Howard on 04/26/07 at 8:07 pm

Tried that . . . didn't work!!!!  Still longing to do the Strawberry Shortcake- Care Bear thread!!!! ???

What year was that?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 8:11 pm

Do it!! I'll post in it! :)

Written By: spaceace on 04/26/07 at 8:31 pm

Tomorrow I don't have the mind for it tonite. :

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/07 at 8:42 pm

I don't think people should get hung up on whether a topic has been done before.  If it's more than five pages back on a board, the old one has died.  Why revive it and have it just die out again.  Start a new one, give it a new twist or something. 

I also think these massive 100 page threads are intimidating to new members, and maybe we should start locking them.  If someone is interested in the ancient history, it's always in the archives, and you can even post a link at the start of the topic to let people know where the old thread is. 

also, I'm getting a bit sick of the "topic" cops... the people who whine that something was done x years ago.  WHO CARES?  That was then, most of those people aren't around now.  Let new people tackle the subject.  People are quick to get off topic in a thread, but when it comes to just discussing something that may have been talked about before, there's a "oh no we did that x months ago, didn't you see the thread" response.  SCREW THE OLD THREAD, IT'S DEAD.

/rant over

Written By: loki 13 on 04/26/07 at 8:49 pm

I try to start threads that I think will create a little feedback but apparently no one else seems to think so.
I have always been intrigued by the Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wizard Of Oz connections and I found
Dark Side Of The Rainbow Videos on youtube. I posted a thread in "On The Records" section, so far no one
else seems interested in it. It gets discouraging when you start threads that get very little response.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/26/07 at 8:54 pm

If you read something on a new site or a blog or some site, and want to discuss it, just pick a board that seems relevant and start a topic with a link to it and discuss it.   If we have to, we'll move it to a different board, no big deal.  The mods are getting bored lately anyways.

I agree totally, and I've actually been thinking the same thing myself.

Even if some things would seem worn out to us if we've been around for them, bumping a topic/starting a similar one would let the newer people join in (as well as any old-timers who were still interested).

I think the decade boards were at a peak a couple years ago. Personally, I like more serious/discussion type threads, no matter what kind they are. Even the "fun" ones I try and put some effort. It does seem like the insightful ones don't always field the responses they used to. I think as long as it's not all out spamming or "is 1991 the 80s" threads (yes, even though I'm in the decadeology crowd myself, I admit those went overboard), most stuff is pretty much okay.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/26/07 at 9:59 pm

I don't think people should get hung up on whether a topic has been done before.  If it's more than five pages back on a board, the old one has died.  Why revive it and have it just die out again.  Start a new one, give it a new twist or something. 

I also think these massive 100 page threads are intimidating to new members, and maybe we should start locking them.  If someone is interested in the ancient history, it's always in the archives, and you can even post a link at the start of the topic to let people know where the old thread is. 

also, I'm getting a bit sick of the "topic" cops... the people who whine that something was done x years ago.  WHO CARES?  That was then, most of those people aren't around now.  Let new people tackle the subject.  People are quick to get off topic in a thread, but when it comes to just discussing something that may have been talked about before, there's a "oh no we did that x months ago, didn't you see the thread" response.  SCREW THE OLD THREAD, IT'S DEAD.

/rant over

For the moment I've locked it. Since the link to it is in my PMs, I can make changes to it when something comes to mind. I just wanted to start a game thread and remembered something from another site. It's always pretty hard to do a general idea, chances are it's been done(Whenever I've revived an old thread, like the "Song and Poetry thread", I was the one keeping it up over 80% of the time), which usually leads to no responses. It's different when the thread is for me to do mainly on my own(except for occassional comments).

I do agree with the last part there. Some people think that it shouldn't be renewed, just because the thread already existed, but that doesn't matter.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/07 at 10:51 pm

The mods are getting bored lately anyways.

"What are things that message board owners should never say?"
"That's correct, Foo, your category again!"
"Goats for $2000, Alex!"
*be-deep-de-be-deep-be-deep*
"And that's our second daily d=0=uble!"

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/27/07 at 5:32 am

I'm not starting new threads,cause i'm a newbie,i have no rights :-X

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

You old people do it :P

Written By: karen on 04/27/07 at 6:08 am

You have as much right as anybody else

Written By: Gis on 04/27/07 at 6:52 am

Rubbish you're just too lazy too!  ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/27/07 at 7:24 am

/rant over
I wish I could give you a bazillion karma for this, but alas, 1 will have to do :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/27/07 at 9:29 am

heh.... cute flash thingy....

newbie?  heck, even guests can start threads here... we ain't particular or nuthin' 'bout statin' them there thread things

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/07 at 12:52 pm

New topics have been listed on the Front Page for the first time in over a month. Thank everyone for starting new topics. Keep them coming.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/27/07 at 2:55 pm

That's funny!!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/27/07 at 2:57 pm

I don't think we need new topics at the moment,I enjoy discussing old school topics from years ago.

Written By: spaceace on 04/27/07 at 3:30 pm

Start posting!!! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...