inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Worst DVDs... (of shows/movies you like)

Written By: woops on 04/26/07 at 10:35 pm

Based on packaging, features, & quality.

The Worst DVDs

Duran Duran:  Greatest

The packaging: no liner notes, pictures (instead of the band/videos, the sleeves feature color bars), and the track listing is hard to read since it's white against the white sleeve.

The DVDs are OK, but there's a lot of easter eggs and the menu could've been done better

MTV20 collection (2001)

The set is mediocre since it's mostly forgettable videos from the mid 1990's. Granted that there's a few classics like Aerosmith "Livin' On The Edge" & Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun", but several that aren't even well known or interesting like  Jodeci "Forever My Lady" or Smash Mouth "Walking On The Sun". There's only 17 videos from the 1980's that are mostly average like Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now"  & Gary Numan "Cars" instead of classics like a-ha "Take On Me" & Beastie Boys "(You Got To) Fight For Your Right (To Party)". Atleast there's a few gems like Run DMC & Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and didn't include any "TRL" era pop acts like Britney Spears.

One DVD features a "Yo! MTV Raps" performance, which is slightly out of place since it's a music video compilation.

Instead of having the promos inbetween videos (like how they were shown on tv), it would've been better if there's a bonus feature with about 10 minutes featuring them back to back for about 10 minutes.  Also MTV interviews and maybe bits from their documentries aired around that time.

For the 20th anniversary, they could've released sets like "Club MTV", "Unplugged", and even best of "Headbangers' Ball" or "Yo! MTV Raps"...

Then again, there was a "Video Music Award" performance set featuring many omissions (ie Madonna "Like A Virgin", Bon Jovi acoustic performance from '89) and mostly performaces from the later 1990s/early 2000s.

Subject: Re: The Worst DVDs... (of shows/movies you like)

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/07 at 10:40 pm

"Cloak & Dagger" and "D.C. Cab", two 80s movies I love, only contain the movie on the DVD releases.  No special features, not even a menu screen.  I'm not much for special features and such, but atleast a menu screen would be nice. 

I don't like the packaging for the "Three's Company" and "Moonlighting" DVD sets.  Cheap custom made plastic cases, whereas if you break them, you are pretty much screwed cause if you want to replace the cases, you basically have to re-buy the whol eset again

Check for new replies or respond here...