inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has this site inspired you to buy/download music?

Written By: Henk on 04/27/07 at 12:36 am

You must've all been confronted with music/artists that you didn't even know existed before joining this board. Some of us may have been brave enough to download or purchase some of that unfamiliar stuff. I know * I * have... Here's some examples:

Jimmy Buffett
Deadsy - She Likes Big Words / The Key To Gramercy Park
Eels - Flyswatter
Magnetic Fields  - I Don't Want To Get Over You
Modest Mouse - Paper Thin Walls / Bukowski
Momus - Is It Because I'm A Pirate / The Penis Song
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea / Love You On A Tuesday
Strange Advance - We Run
Sufjan Stevens - Holland / Flint (For The Unemployed And The Underpayed)
Voltaire - Alchemy Mondays
Ween - Push Th'Little Daisies
Coleman Wilde - It Doesn't Matter

Most of the artists I had never heard of before. I did know Eels because they/he had a minor hit with "Last Stop: This Town", but I would never have bought any of their/his albums (in my case "Daisies From The Galaxy") if it hadn't been for this board.
I'm not saying I like everything I purchased (this goes especially for the Sufjan Stevens and Ween songs) but at least I've had a taste. ;)

Anyone else like to say anything?

Subject: Re: Has this site inspired you to buy/download music?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/27/07 at 12:48 am

I would say probably yes, but specific examples aren't jumping to mind. I oftentimes hear of new or different things here, though, or even am reminded of ones that I had forgotten.

After Jason used it in a quiz, I was compelled to listen to the Unique II version of "Break My Stride" on Youtube and am now considering buying that single and/or album.

Oh, and also from a Jason quiz (I think) was "Seasons of Gold" by Gidea Park featuring Adrian Baker. I first heard that song because of that. Cool tune.

I also added "Johnny Reggae" by The Piglets to my "to hear" list because Henk used it in a quiz.

I am sure there are some examples of actual purchases but those still aren't coming to mind, but there are a few examples of inspiration, anyway.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/27/07 at 1:03 am

I don't have an ipod or other mp3 player and still pretty much stick with the stuff that works for me, but I've been sent videos of new groups and their music by some members and enjoyed new tunes that way.

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/07 at 2:53 am

I am drawing a few blanks on alot of specific examples, but here is a few ...

'Arms of Mary' by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.  A cover version of it by Chilliwack was a Canadian smash in 1978, and when I used it in a quiz, Paul mentioned that it was originally by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, so I downloaded it and I love it!

'Rain in May' by Max Werner.  Henk mentioned it in a thread.  Because it was a minor hit in the States, I'd already known of it, but i'd never gave it a listen until Henk mentioned it.  It is a really great song!

'Street Dance' by Break Machine.  Originally I came upon this song in the late 90s when I had a goal to know what every UK Top 40 hit of the 80s sounded like, and I loved it, but I'd totally forgotten about it over the years I heard it in Henk's quiz.  I have since downloaded it, and I probably listen to it like 20 times a day lol

I remember Henk did a thread of Dutch Top 40 hits of the 80s, and I got a few good idea from there, such as Gerard Joling and Doris D. and the Pins. 

I did a similar thread for Canadian Hits of the 80s.  I always said I was gonna do one for the 90s and maybe the 70s, but I never did.  Maybe I'll get to work on a 90s one, or maybe even do a sequel to the 80s one :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/07 at 9:04 am

yes..totally. I have learned of a lot of different bands/groups by people creating topics about them, quizzes, etc...thus resulting in me downloading songs by them..and really liking what I hear. :)

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/07 at 11:52 am

Any time I hear of a new band, I download their 5 most popular songs from BearShare and see if they're worth listening to.. the only worthwhile musician I've really learned from this site was XTC, though... and I suppose you could argue I found Dimmu Borgir and Cannibal Corpse through here, though it was ages after I heard about these bands on this site that I actually listened to and enjoyed them.

Written By: Henk on 04/27/07 at 1:53 pm

Any time I hear of a new band, I download their 5 most popular songs from BearShare and see if they're worth listening to.. the only worthwhile musician I've really learned from this site was XTC, though... and I suppose you could argue I found Dimmu Borgir and Cannibal Corpse through here, though it was ages after I heard about these bands on this site that I actually listened to and enjoyed them.

Same here. I think it was well over a year after I'd first read about Momus, Neutral Milk Hotel, Magnetic Fields and the like (most likely one of your posts) before I downloaded any of their songs. I really didn't know what I would find, but it has been an enjoyable experience. :)

Written By: Henk on 04/27/07 at 1:59 pm

I am drawing a few blanks on alot of specific examples, but here is a few ...

'Arms of Mary' by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.  A cover version of it by Chilliwack was a Canadian smash in 1978, and when I used it in a quiz, Paul mentioned that it was originally by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, so I downloaded it and I love it!

'Rain in May' by Max Werner.  Henk mentioned it in a thread.  Because it was a minor hit in the States, I'd already known of it, but i'd never gave it a listen until Henk mentioned it.  It is a really great song!

'Street Dance' by Break Machine.  Originally I came upon this song in the late 90s when I had a goal to know what every UK Top 40 hit of the 80s sounded like, and I loved it, but I'd totally forgotten about it over the years I heard it in Henk's quiz.  I have since downloaded it, and I probably listen to it like 20 times a day lol

I remember Henk did a thread of Dutch Top 40 hits of the 80s, and I got a few good idea from there, such as Gerard Joling and Doris D. and the Pins. 

Glad I've inspired you. :) I've often wonder if people are in any way influenced by my quizzes, and now I know the answer.

I did a similar thread for Canadian Hits of the 80s.  I always said I was gonna do one for the 90s and maybe the 70s, but I never did.  Maybe I'll get to work on a 90s one, or maybe even do a sequel to the 80s one :)

Where do you think I got Strange Advance and Coleman Wilde from...? ::)

Which reminds me...I was thinking of doing a 1970s and 1990s version of said thread too...

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/07 at 2:25 pm

Where do you think I got Strange Advance and Coleman Wilde from...? ::)

Yessir.  Glad you enjoy those songs 8)

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/07 at 6:31 pm

Oh, Henk DID remind me.. I already liked Depeche Mode, but this site inspired me to download more of their stuff..

Written By: karen on 05/01/07 at 10:36 am

I can't download music but occasionally I'll hear stuff on the radio and remember that I heard about it here or I've read stuff in the paper (I remember something recently was about Modest Mouse) and I can nod knowingly to myself about it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/07 at 4:45 pm

Good question!!  :)

Yes, I actually have downloaded many songs because of certain people's tastes, etc.

I bought an entire Greatest Hits CD of Shakin' Stevens because of Jason (Whistledog).

I also downloaded a really cool 10cc song that Ktelqueen recommended me sometime ago.

Alex aka El Duderino, introduced me to The Shins, and I actually purchased their most recent CD - which is REALLY good!

And the list can go on....

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/07 at 9:27 pm

I bought an entire Greatest Hits CD of Shakin' Stevens because of Jason (Whistledog).

That's awesome 8)
Which one did you get?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YP2Y0Q1TL._AA240_.jpg or http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DYQN6BJ4L._AA240_.jpg or http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s52241.jpg

or another one?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 8:14 pm

Sort of. While I don't think I've been strictly introduced to bands I didn't previously know about, I've gotten more into things than I was before due to people's tastes (as well as the detailed discussions I've had about it, lol).

Other than getting probably a better focus on newer stuff (2003+), there are a couple specific examples. Like, Erin ended up getting me into the Ramones a bit, and Donnie Darko was a big new waver (sorry, I know not many people like him, but it's a relevant example ;) ), so I gave bands like Talking Heads, Duran Duran and Human League more of a shot than I had before.

I'm sure there's others too that I'm forgetting now.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/07 at 3:04 pm

Buahahaahakflsdjfk.sa;/fjdsa

It's funny that "Push Th' Little Daisies" was Ween's most popular song, because it's not really good... at all... when you compare it to their other stuff. You may like their later stuff, it's more mature and... erm.. indie like, I guess.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/06/07 at 4:28 pm

Well I have downloaded and learned about a number of artists I had never heard of before prior to seeing them mentioned on here, I have ended up enjoying the material from a few of them.

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/07 at 1:17 am

Remember Absolutely_Vile?  On another board I knew her (and through archived posts I've seen here at inthe00s), she always talked about the John Foxx era of Ultravox, so I gave their 70s works a listen, and though I didn't become a fan, I did find some good gems in Foxx's solo work in the 80s. 

I love 'Europe After the Rain'.  It's just so catchy! 8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/01/07 at 7:55 pm

Sometimes I like to seek out songs mentioned in those "What ___ song are you listening to right now" threads.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...